Live from Millie 6/30-7/12- Damage

berryhappy24

Just to clarify a lot of things on the Cruise that that Ran Aground in NICE.

Number one it was human error, the ship did have an eletrical failure but a human place it in full reverse while we were in port.

Number two they did blow the collision horn just before we ran aground

Number three the captain did not announce what happened for 40 plus hours.

I am not going to sit here and bash anyone, I will only say that this was a mistake, the captain is is in charge and did not do his job.

So many customer service mistakes were made that they can not all be listed.

What a mess.. They do not want to refund airfair.

I am happy to be alive it could have been worse they could have backed into another cruise ship.

I do worry that frustrated cruisers, particuarly those who leave quickly once disembarkation options are finalised, will give the crew far lower tip levels for the trip currently terminating in Rome. I bet it has been really hard for some of the hard working crew to keep smiling knowing that the next trip is a no tip scenario

I want everyone to know. I got all my information from this Board thank God for CC and I just joined for this cruise. I know I will be part of this group forever. Thankyou whoever you are that started this. When I originally heard of the problem I notified my TA. She called Celebrity daily and got the same story that everything would be fine. Then when I told her that celebrity had cancelled she went crazy. This was AAA. Not people you want to PISS OFF. excuse that, but these big companies are smoozed by resorts and cruises to tell their customers that a place is great. Thats what makes people come back to their TA again and again. I do know that the upper management of AAA is demanding answers from celebrity about lack of information from the beginning that there was an incident. The private tours Benevento for naples, Claudio Caponera for Rome and Spirodakos for Santorini all emailed me their regrets and are looking forward to our business at a future time. I got their names from CC. It only took an email to cancel. We will be lounging on a beach at the Iberostar Grand Hotel riveria Maya Mexico. Brand new Anyone been there? Good luck to all, we will probably have the greatest CC party celebrity has ever seen. Do you think they will think were nuts when they see and entire room full of people hugging and crying?????:D

We heard the sad news yesterday (actually, I had to read it on the cc boards) and of course, we were very sad and unhappy. For us, the most frustrating part of it, was the fact that we couldn't find a good alternative for our cancelled cruise in this short time. Or the ships were sold out (or extremely high prized), or we couldn't get there because the planes were full. But like I said : that was yesterday. I think we got a very good compensation (yiihaa ! an unexpected free cruise !) and we're already making some new plans for next year's summer. So now we're looking forward to our first cruise on the Century next month (are we glad we already booked this one !). We hope everyone who was booked on this cancelled cruise is recovering from the sad news and busy making new plans for the future.

Happy sailing ! :)

I am sure as more folks return home there will be more reports and eventually a report from Celebrity itself to its shareholders..I'm sure we can agree that this was a terrible event esp for those on board & those whose later cruise is cancelled...but fortunate no one did get hurt.

I do worry that frustrated cruisers, particuarly those who leave quickly once disembarkation options are finalised, will give the crew far lower tip levels for the trip currently terminating in Rome. I bet it has been really hard for some of the hard working crew to keep smiling knowing that the next trip is a no tip scenario

This has been on my mind also. When you consider that they now have 2 weeks with no pax (and no tips), I do so hope that the current pax kept them in mind. They work so hard, and the thought that they may be under compensated just breaks my heart.

To all of you who have come through this sailing, and to those on the cancelled cruse, I wish you the very best. What great attitudes you have shown. I truly hope the management at Celebrity learns something from this experience. PLEASE KEEP YOUR PAX INFORMED.

Moeve, I guess from the way you wrote that you have worked on the ships. What did you do?

I found your reply interesting, and hadn't thought that the crew could stay onboard when in dry dock. I imagined it was a bit like when your car goes up on the ramp in the garage - they make you get out!!! :D

I do think that the crew takes tendering, docking, etc. very seriously. Considering the number of ships afloat- I really don't see where cruising isn't safe.

This incident may have been mechanical- we really don't know. There was no one injured (as far as I know). I think the accident causes a real mess. I think Celebrity was scrambling to fix the problem but is was difficult to repair such a problem with passengers on board- they needed to drydock. It sounds like Celebrity tried their best to repair the problem. It was in the best financial interest to remedy the problem as quickly as possible. Once they discovered that the propellers were beyond repair (stick in the housing) at sea- they tried to figure out what to do with the passengers. Making hotel and plane arrangements for 2000 people would have been very difficult on short notice. Instead they decided to do their best to feed and house stranded cruisers.

It wasn't a good cruise obviously but at least it was free and they did also offer a free cruise at a later date. I think that was all they could do. Otherwise- cruisers would still demand their money back -plus the cruise line would have had to put people up in hotels and pay for the change in airfare- which would have meant each passenger would have to line up air and then be reimbursed by the line. That would have been highly problematic.

I am glad I wasn't on that sailing and would have been very disappointed. Sorry to all those who didn't get to see and do so many things in Europe.

My husband, I and our three teens are very much looking forward to our sailing on the Millenium from Barcelona on the 24th. Please tell me that the ship will be fixed by then... Having recently moved to Tyler TX, I hear there are no nice beaches nearby... if they cancel this cruise our only last-minute vacation will be... a beach in Galveston?? :mad:

It's a pretty big jump to go from damage to the ship (and loss of people's valuable vacation time, upsetting as that is,) to loss of life.

The poster presented a very valid "what if" scenario. In fact the identical thing happened earlier this year and the end result was the loss of two lives.

The intent of the post was to simply point out that this was an avoidable accident and that Celebrity should be taking a higher level of responsibility to all passengers and not just those who had booked air thru them.

In any event it is clear that there was incompetence of the officer in charge and it is unbelievable that a mistake of this magnitude could be made with the lives of that many passengers potentially in jeopardy.

to hear what the X super loyalist have to say...

About what? The OP?

Number one it was human error, the ship did have an eletrical failure but a human place it in full reverse while we were in port.

I do not know if the Captain or someone put it in any kind of command to reverse full or at any other speed. Was there a connection to an electrical problem that the ship was drifting towards shore as a result of a malfunction?

Number two they did blow the collision horn just before we ran aground
Should they not have or was this an indication that they knew there was a problem?

Number three the captain did not announce what happened for 40 plus hours.
Inexcusable!

I am not going to sit here and bash anyone, I will only say that this was a mistake, the captain is is in charge and did not do his job.
Apparently. I would say the same. Even if there was an equipment malfunction, the guy in charge has to bite the bullet.

So many customer service mistakes were made that they can not all be listed.

What a mess.. They do not want to refund airfair.

I've stated my viewpoints on the main thread. Inexcusable about communication and lack thereof. The airfare.. every cruiseline does the same. If you book your own air it is your responsibility. If you buy their product they will help.

I am happy to be alive it could have been worse they could have backed into another cruise ship.
Was there another cruise ship close by? It can always be worse. It could have torn open the hull. The nature of ships and any mode of travel is that things could go wrong.

Moeve, I guess from the way you wrote that you have worked on the ships. What did you do?

I found your reply interesting, and hadn't thought that the crew could stay onboard when in dry dock. I imagined it was a bit like when your car goes up on the ramp in the garage - they make you get out!!! :D

I was with Cunard in the Housekeeping dept. (Now I enjoy cruising as a passenger) This dry dock is not really too big a deal since the repairs are all outside the hull.... There is probably water, aircon etc all working.

We did a dry dock in Newport News in the early 1990s to save money Cunard had working crew (since this was planned many could choose to go home or take a vacation) and external contractors stay onboard. NOT soemthing I am ever planning on repeating!! It was cold in Dez and we had really lousy weather. The entire dock broke off the pilons swimming us loose making an emergancy evacuation nessecary (now that was fun!!) due to the storm...

We only had running water at certain times. Not aircon or heat. Lots of dust from Sandblasting the hull. Oh yes and they forgot to tell me that the steel plate in the wall of my cabin was getting replaced....... Yes I met the the steeel cutter at 3 am in my pyjamas in the freezing cold :rolleyes:

Hey it was an experience I would hate to miss but sure as hell NEVER want to repeat.

I'd like to say this is the last time I will weigh in on this subject (but I know that's not true)...and I can only speak from the perspective of someone who was ready to leave for Venice on the 9th... I think one of the biggest mistakes celebrity made, that is just ridiculous, is telling the current passengers they had until the 11th/12th to leave the ship and then AT THE SAME TIME THAT DECISION WAS MADE, not telling the July 12th'ers and TA's that the cruise was cancelled...sunday or not. I hope they have learned something here, and for the people who flew there unaware, on their own airfare, they should CERTAINLY be compensated

This has been terrible for the people missing out on great destinations and for anyone missing the next cruise. I really feel for them as I did this cruise last year. However, it is far too soon to jump to conclusions on who is to blame and who should be dismissed. Until a full investigation is made and the cause known it is unfair to blame anyone yet.

I'd like to say this is the last time I will weigh in on this subject (but I know that's not true)...and I can only speak from the perspective of someone who was ready to leave for Venice on the 9th... I think one of the biggest mistakes celebrity made, that is just ridiculous, is telling the current passengers they had until the 11th/12th to leave the ship and then AT THE SAME TIME THAT DECISION WAS MADE, not telling the July 12th'ers and TA's that the cruise was cancelled...sunday or not. I hope they have learned something here, and for the people who flew there unaware, on their own airfare, they should CERTAINLY be compensated

I will say that Clelebrity's lack of people skills on the land based end never ceases to amaze me. Cruising is after all a customer service industry. And I would bet that the best advertising they could possibly recieve is positive feedback from happy cruisers telling their friends what a wonderful time they had on their "Celebrity Cruise" Yet, "Customer Service" has always been the weakest link in their corporate chain.

My experience has been that anyone you deal with onboard the ship is polite, and cheerful and helpful. But call the "800" number and you enter the twilight zone. Many's the time that I have called with a question and the answer I recieved didn't seem quite accurate, and I called back and got a completely different answer from the next attendant. The Captain's Club is only slightly better.

For example, on our April 2007 cruise on Century while packing for the trip we had some questions as to what dinner attire would be needed. I called Captains Club and got the usual 1 formal, 1 "Smart Casual", 3 casual which is right off the web site for a 5 night sailing. However, when we actually got onboard, we discovered that there was no "Smart Casual" so my sports jacket was not needed, and there was to be a "White Night" when everyone was expected to wear "White". It seemed that about a third of the guests were aware that this event was planned and had come prepared. All the rest of us just made due.

While this might sound trivial, it points to the fact that information is apparently not shared universally in the customer relations end of Celebrity's world. Ideally, there should be consistency between operators in customer service. On anyday you should get the same information from every operator when you call with a question. More importantly, if an operator doesn't know the answer they should tell you that they don't know the answer. I would much rather be told, "I honestly don't know" than have them provide me with inaccurate information. That is not "customer service".

To all of the July 12th cruisers....you are all AMAZING!!

I would be CRUSHED if this happened to me and you are handling the news so well.

I hope that your trips to Mexico and Aruba (and anywhere else folks go) are WONDERFUL, RELAXING and MEMORABLE!!!! :D :D

Do you know when we were dealing with celebrity after the cancellation not one person even said sorry? I don't think it's too much to ask for the customer service or celebrity in general to act a little apologetic about uprooting our lives and tearing our hearts out. Am I crazy?

Thank you so much for the amazing compliment. My husband (after dealing with me all stressed out for 3 days) would probably beg to differ at this point! :D

I will say that Clelebrity's lack of people skills on the land based end never ceases to amaze me. Cruising is after all a customer service industry. And I would bet that the best advertising they could possibly recieve is positive feedback from happy cruisers telling their friends what a wonderful time they had on their "Celebrity Cruise" Yet, "Customer Service" has always been the weakest link in their corporate chain.

My experience has been that anyone you deal with onboard the ship is polite, and cheerful and helpful. But call the "800" number and you enter the twilight zone. Many's the time that I have called with a question and the answer I recieved didn't seem quite accurate, and I called back and got a completely different answer from the next attendant. The Captain's Club is only slightly better.

For example, on our April 2007 cruise on Century while packing for the trip we had some questions as to what dinner attire would be needed. I called Captains Club and got the usual 1 formal, 1 "Smart Casual", 3 casual which is right off the web site for a 5 night sailing. However, when we actually got onboard, we discovered that there was no "Smart Casual" so my sports jacket was not needed, and there was to be a "White Night" when everyone was expected to wear "White". It seemed that about a third of the guests were aware that this event was planned and had come prepared. All the rest of us just made due.

While this might sound trivial, it points to the fact that information is apparently not shared universally in the customer relations end of Celebrity's world. Ideally, there should be consistency between operators in customer service. On anyday you should get the same information from every operator when you call with a question. More importantly, if an operator doesn't know the answer they should tell you that they don't know the answer. I would much rather be told, "I honestly don't know" than have them provide me with inaccurate information. That is not "customer service".

I have asked to speak to a supervisor and they tell me " I will check and get back to you". they have gotten back, but how do I know that the answer they give me is the correct one? I have very little confidence in what they say on the phone. If it is inportant I email them so I have their answer in writting. Oh, yes it takes them awhile to answer. Someone on the boards stated that they email an oversesas office and get answered right away. If anyone has that email if you would share that with us, it would be great.

Do you know when we were dealing with celebrity after the cancellation not one person even said sorry? I don't think it's too much to ask for the customer service or celebrity in general to act a little apologetic about uprooting our lives and tearing our hearts out. Am I crazy? :D

:( --That would really bug me.

So, no, I don't think you're crazy.

Not saying they are sorry MIGHT be a legal thing that their lawyers told them not to do...it sounds strange, but true. I was once in a car accident that was SO totally the other person's fault, they paid my expenses, gave me money (not a lot, it was minor) but they insisted in the wording "we admit no liability on either our or our client's behalf, blah, blah", so that might be what that is all about.

Martodd, Cdncruiser1979 and Berryhappy24:

A lot of people disagreed with me for suggesting you should get a refund on the airfare portion of your trip. What do you think? Have you asked about it?

WE did not ask about a refund for our airfare, since we were due to fly out of Rome anyway, we were very upset though at the announcement that we were not getting any kind of future cruise credit when we had already flown here and used the airfare, used the vacation days, and only seen two ports in the 9 port itinerary. WE were able to get a refund for our train to Rome from Venice and all of our transers through the providers, though.

My feelings on the airfare may be different if we lost a flight out of Venice and Celebrity was unable to help us.

We we need to go early in the morning, so we are going to have our last late night pizza snack before we disenbark in the morning.

BTW I did notice posts about a collision horn. There may have been one, but we were at the pool when it hit, we saw the rocks, ran aft to see what was going on, and felt the shudder(That my husband and son on deck 11 playing shuffleboard did not feel), and never heard a horn. Only saw people in port running towards the rocks to see what was going on.

Archived