$149 Port Charges On Top Of The $54 Taxes????

CPOCMAN

My wife and I are planning to take our 2nd Princess Cruise - this time to Mexico in December for 7 days on Golden Princess. We are using the same agency (*.com) that we used 7 yrs ago when we took our first cruise. When talking with the agent, she quoted me two charges, a $149 Port Charges on top of a $54.00 Fees/Taxes. I suspect something is wrong. We're paying $715pp for a BA cabin on Golden Princess which is a good deal - but when you add this $149 port charge, the price gets to be much higher than what I thought. Is it just me being paranoid OR should I be concerned. I've searched online on Princess.com and they don't have any reference to Port charges anywhere on their site. Their brochure doesn't list anything about port charges and their website, if I try to book there, doesn't list any port charges. Appreciate any feedback/info you experience mariners have out there. Thank you.

My wife and I are planning to take our 2nd Princess Cruise - this time to Mexico in December for 7 days on Golden Princess. We are using the same agency (*.com) that we used 7 yrs ago when we took our first cruise. When talking with the agent, she quoted me two charges, a $149 Port Charges on top of a $54.00 Fees/Taxes. I suspect something is wrong. We're paying $715pp for a BA cabin on Golden Princess which is a good deal - but when you add this $149 port charge, the price gets to be much higher than what I thought. Is it just me being paranoid OR should I be concerned. I've searched online on Princess.com and they don't have any reference to Port charges anywhere on their site. Their brochure doesn't list anything about port charges and their website, if I try to book there, doesn't list any port charges. Appreciate any feedback/info you experience mariners have out there. Thank you.

Port charges vary by where you are going, but they are standard for each cruise. Yes, they can really add to the cost of the cruise.

Some agencies break things down, and others give you the entire price as one price. My feeling is that it is probably correct.

Look at the total price when comparing agencies.

We have a Mini Suite booked for Dec on the Golden. I just looked at out breakdown. I always just look at the final number.

$742.80 + $175.98 (taxes & fees) = $ 918.78 - $ !00 SBC.

I'm sure lots of people will beat that price, But I don't care. I was happy with the price when I booked it and I don't go to crazy with what every one else got. However I always check the booking sights before final payment just in case.

Taxes and port charges are always part of the total price of a cruise.

Some ads for cruises will seem really low. There is usually a disclaimer somewhere that will say something like *plus taxes and port fees :rolleyes:

When comparing prices from different agencies you need to make sure that you are getting the total price quoted.

So, when you go to Princess.com does the price come out to around the same $925? Depending on when you are looking at travelling, the price does seem to be in the ballpark for a balcony.

Charlie

I had to dig a little on their website but.... found what I was looking for:

All prices are per person, based on double occupancy and include port charges. Prices change frequently, to get current pricing you must make a selection.

I need to make some calls, point the agent to this statement on the page that lists the Princess prices - after I select the cabin. I'll let you all know what happens on this. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Hi CPOCMAN;

I just went to the Princess site and checked using past passenger pricing and for a person here in the USA, the pricing was $775.98 per person which includes $26.98 Govt taxes and fees ($53.96 for two people). This was for the Golden in mid December. Hope this helps.

Fair winds

Dave

You're getting a quote that has the various charges broken out. Additional taxes and fees are the norm, and have increased over the years, just like the extra city and county taxes you pay when you stay in a hotel just about anywhere these days. Your total cost for 7 days is quite good.

also what is called port taxes is a misnomer. Its now known as NCF non commissionable fare. It includes more than port charges. It includes a charge for fuel etc. Exactly how its made up is a mystery. The reason it includes these charges is that the Cruise lines don't want to pay commission on port charges or fuel or other expendables. You know sort of like airline charges 1.98 for round trip airfare plus $2,000,000 in taxes and security charges...and taxes are normally just that....

Some agencies break things down, and others give you the entire price as one price. My feeling is that it is probably correct.

Look at the total price when comparing agencies.

Some years ago the Attorney General of Florida won a lawsuit prohibiting cruise lines from advertising prices EXCLUSIVE of port charges and then adding them on. Travel Agencies have a bit more legal leeway, but most consider it unethical to "bait and switch" this way by advertising fares and then adding on "port charges."

The terminology "port charges" is obselete. It covers a multitude of charges that are NOT "government fees and taxes," like dockage charges, pilot charges and even garbage disposal. It is set by the cruise line based on their costs. It is really not important to the consumer because it is built into the price if your agency is quoting fairly.

It is very important to the Travel Agent, because that portion of the fare is non-discountable and non-commissionable! This is why the cruise line invoice to the TA breaks it out separately. It is normally labeled NDF (non-discountable fare) or NCF (non-commisionable fare).

Bottom line: Make sure your Travel Agent is treating you honestly by quoting TOTAL fare, and compare apples to apples. Don't let a Travel Agency play this "plus port charges" game on you! It hasn't been done that way for many years.

This is fairly new. I presume you are referring to Alaska? Alaska had in place (per person) a $14 tax for cruise ships. Juneau and Ketchikan both had $7 fees.

Since the end of last summer there are new taxes. $46 that goes into the state's general fund and $4 per berth fee.

So, it now costs $64 per person in fees to go to Alaska. But wait, there is more. The cruise ships also have to pay a 33% tax on gambling profits while in the waterways of ports in Alaska.

So, an Alaska cruise is more expensive than it used to be. I personally think there will be some stiff ecological requirements put on the cruise line in the next few years and those costs will be transfered to the passengers too. You know our climate is in crisis, Global Warming and all that. http://liveearth.uk.msn.com/

A good TA will always give you the final cost and then a breakdown of the cruise cost, fees and taxes, and port charges. The port charges can be low or high, depending on the port and how long the ship is scheduled to be in port. The ship is charged a fee for every hour it's in port.

One thing to keep in mind is that in some ports, the ship is able to hook up directly to the port's utilities, such as electricity. This saves energy and is more environmentally-friendly, since the ship isn't running the engines to generate electricity, and money but probably adds to the port charges.

Our TA gives us the Room Price PP + Taxes + Insurance if chosen.

That is exactly the way it should be. The NCF's, formerly called "port charges" are set by the cruise line and INCLUDED in the room price, and there is really no need for the customer to have them broken out separately. "Government fees and taxes" are imposed on the ship by government authorities and are customarily quoted separately.

also what is called port taxes is a misnomer. Its now known as NCF non commissionable fare.

Exactly. The port charge doesn't necessarly get spent by Princess at the port. It goes directly to Princess as an extra, non commissionable, price increase. Sort of like a fuel surcharge. Sort of like an involuntary Princess tip.

Since the end of last summer there are new taxes. $46 that goes into the state's general fund and $4 per berth fee.

So, it now costs $64 per person in fees to go to Alaska. But wait, there is more. The cruise ships also have to pay a 33% tax on gambling profits while in the waterways of ports in Alaska.

But wait... you can shop at all the same tax and duty free shops that are in the Caribbean and Mexico - there's an international diamond company that comes to mind!?!

But wait... you can shop at all the same tax and duty free shops that are in the Caribbean and Mexico - there's an international diamond company that comes to mind!?!

I forgot about Princess International. I mean Diamonds International. A "Must See", "#1 Recomendation for Diamonds" and "Guaranteed by the cruise line". Sorry ;)

No, that is exactly right. At least Princess doesn't do what many of the other cruise lines do (NCL for one) - they raise their port charges and reduce the per person cruise fare so they have to pay less commission to the TAs.

There are 3 charges for EVERY cruise fare no matter how it is presented to you.

There is the basic cruise fare, commission is based on the basic cruise fare.

THEN there is the Port Fees - which are fees the cruise lines pay to dock at the various ports, extra fuel fees, Eco fees, etc.

and THEN TAXES

A lot of ads that say 'CRUISE TO CARIBBEAN FOR ONLY $399!" DO NOT INCLUDE THOSE FEES AND TAXES. Just be sure you are comparing apples to apples before you book a cruise. Make sure they are giving you a TOTAL price. If on a web site such as expedite, yahoo, etc. make sure you take the price all the way to the end so you are sure you have a total price to compare to a quote from say vacationcompare.com. At vacation compare.com we are told to give everyone the TOTAL price. Also remember there are ofter 3 or 4 categories of inside staterooms, and the same for all of the other categories so it is not always easy to compare prices unless you are VERY specific. Thanks - hope I helped.

Archived