Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

Roz, you need to download the Princess Medallion class app to your phone.  

Cindy, boarding with a Service Dog means we'll need to stop and present registration with paperwork and we'll need to take time anyway,  I'm Elite on Princess, let them take care of me.

We'll be able to keep in touch once on board......I don't need, nor want Princess to "Big Brother" me!  When we meet-up I welcome your input to show me what you want me to do, if you think I should do something more or different.

50 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Cindy, boarding with a Service Dog means we'll need to stop and present registration with paperwork and we'll need to take time anyway,  I'm Elite on Princess, let them take care of me.

We'll be able to keep in touch once on board......I don't need, nor want Princess to "Big Brother" me!  When we meet-up I welcome your input to show me what you want me to do, if you think I should do something more or different.

This wasn't for you to get the medallion, its so we can communicate onboard. But if you know a better way for us to communicate, we're all for it.  I assume you are going to opt for the card? They will make you get the medallion at check in and then you can opt out at guest services and they will give you a card instead. 

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

This wasn't for you to get the medallion, its so we can communicate onboard. But if you know a better way for us to communicate, we're all for it.  I assume you are going to opt for the card? They will make you get the medallion at check in and then you can opt out at guest services and they will give you a card instead. 

My kids and I stayed in touch by texting each other, my Grandson set up our phones.  We can have them do it for us at Guest Services when we check on the dog's box's or Registration upon check-in. Or, we can just do it ourselves.

I'm open for whatever works best for all of us.

A service dog friend of mine (she was quoted in the book) is taking her first cruise next year, trying it out on a short one to Mexico via Carnival. She said they told her the box filler is Second Nature Dog Litter, which is those hard paper pellets.

Roz, Isn't this the stuff that Brenda (or maybe it was Horty) hated because it got wedged in his feet or toes? I told Mary she should take some of the artificial turf to place on top of it.  I just ordered some fake grass with the holes in the bottom today to take along on our November cruise because I'm tired of always dealing with unsatisfactory box filler.

I just wondered if anyone had had any luck with Carnival providing grass sod or mulch. 

21 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

A service dog friend of mine (she was quoted in the book) is taking her first cruise next year, trying it out on a short one to Mexico via Carnival. She said they told her the box filler is Second Nature Dog Litter, which is those hard paper pellets.

Roz, Isn't this the stuff that Brenda (or maybe it was Horty) hated because it got wedged in his feet or toes? I told Mary she should take some of the artificial turf to place on top of it.  I just ordered some fake grass with the holes in the bottom today to take along on our November cruise because I'm tired of always dealing with unsatisfactory box filler.

I just wondered if anyone had had any luck with Carnival providing grass sod or mulch. 

Carnival's box's are great, their filler is NOT!  Yes, Brenda and Horton both hated stepping onto the pellets.  It seems, no matter how I tell Carnival about the fact that some dogs have webbing between their toes and pellets actually hurt for them to walk on them, they don't listen.  Do bring some artificial turf to cover the darn stuff.

43 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Carnival's box's are great, their filler is NOT!  Yes, Brenda and Horton both hated stepping onto the pellets.  It seems, no matter how I tell Carnival about the fact that some dogs have webbing between their toes and pellets actually hurt for them to walk on them, they don't listen.  Do bring some artificial turf to cover the darn stuff.

I don't see how they can use pellets. That would hurt any paws not just webbed ones. Wexler always liked grass. We did request grass on NCL but Oakland layed down in it. I'm hoping mulch or whatever Princess provides is ok for him. Pic shows what Oak thought of the potty box. 😮

IMG_20190524_161709.jpg

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

I don't see how they can use pellets. That would hurt any paws not just webbed ones. Wexler always liked grass. We did request grass on NCL but Oakland layed down in it. I'm hoping mulch or whatever Princess provides is ok for him. Pic shows what Oak thought of the potty box. 😮

IMG_20190524_161709.jpg

This the cutest picture......I love this dog!

Well, today I thought I should get on the same page as Cindy & John and be Medallion ready for our Princess cruise.  I went against my initial desires and contacted Princess to sign up.......One and a half hours later and the Concierge who was helping me realized that we couldn't finish the process because I had an Android and the internet would not allow my picture to be downloaded into their system......At least that's what she said.  We were both so frustrated.....She suggested that I close it down and call them back tomorrow.  I asked her if Holland America has the same program because I like their cruise ships too!!!!  Hint, hint!  She sort of laughed.  😕

I called my TA and he said that I'm not the first one to tell him about the problems that Princess is having with this.  He suggested that I just go to the port, as usual and let them do their job.  I've heard that it takes them a few minutes and it's done.  It's what he told me from day one, when I first booked.  But, I didn't want Cindy upset with me!

33 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

This the cutest picture......I love this dog!

Well, today I thought I should get on the same page as Cindy & John and be Medallion ready for our Princess cruise.  I went against my initial desires and contacted Princess to sign up.......One and a half hours later and the Concierge who was helping me realized that we couldn't finish the process because I had an Android and the internet would not allow my picture to be downloaded into their system......At least that's what she said.  We were both so frustrated.....She suggested that I close it down and call them back tomorrow.  I asked her if Holland America has the same program because I like their cruise ships too!!!!  Hint, hint!  She sort of laughed.  😕

I called my TA and he said that I'm not the first one to tell him about the problems that Princess is having with this.  He suggested that I just go to the port, as usual and let them do their job.  I've heard that it takes them a few minutes and it's done.  It's what he told me from day one, when I first booked.  But, I didn't want Cindy upset with me!

Haha Roz. Sorry you had problems. We did too when we did the medallion. I knew they were going to do it at the dock for you. I guess everyone gets it and then you can change to the card. I wanted you to get the medallion class app, but realized you needed the medallion to use it. I think we can message on it, that way if we wanted to meet up its easier than searching for eachother. 

The android excuse it crap because we have Android phones. I am happy to know that you have an android since I could help you... A little. 

I'm glad you get a kick out of Oakland laying in the potty box. Wait until we are all stressed out cause he won't go and don't leave the cabin. 😬

55 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Haha Roz. Sorry you had problems. We did too when we did the medallion. I knew they were going to do it at the dock for you. I guess everyone gets it and then you can change to the card. I wanted you to get the medallion class app, but realized you needed the medallion to use it. I think we can message on it, that way if we wanted to meet up its easier than searching for eachother. 

The android excuse it crap because we have Android phones. I am happy to know that you have an android since I could help you... A little. 

I'm glad you get a kick out of Oakland laying in the potty box. Wait until we are all stressed out cause he won't go and don't leave the cabin. 😬

Oakey can come and lay down with Horty and go potty in our box......Horty will show him the in's and out's of using the potty box, he's pure genius at using the darn but necessary box.  

I was starting to worry about the Medallion thing.....but should have followed my gut and just waited til we boarded.  There's going to be lots and lots of folks at the dock who will be in the same boat......get it!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

4 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Oakey can come and lay down with Horty and go potty in our box......Horty will show him the in's and out's of using the potty box, he's pure genius at using the darn but necessary box.  

I was starting to worry about the Medallion thing.....but should have followed my gut and just waited til we boarded.  There's going to be lots and lots of folks at the dock who will be in the same boat......get it!!!!!

Also, if we want to stay in touch we just have to text each other and don't need the Medallion to do this.  It does mean that you will need to keep your phone charged and with you if you're out and about and we want to meet-up.  Don't  forget to bring your charging station, extra plugs with surge protector, with you [I keep mine in my carry on suitcase all the time.]

5 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Also, if we want to stay in touch we just have to text each other and don't need the Medallion to do this.  It does mean that you will need to keep your phone charged and with you if you're out and about and we want to meet-up.  Don't  forget to bring your charging station, extra plugs with surge protector, with you [I keep mine in my carry on suitcase all the time.]

I don't think we can text unless we are in port. But I will always have my phone since it's my camera. 

7 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

They're beautiful.  You're all set to go.  Now, come over here and help me get mine!!!!  How are you going to wear them?

They have a clear plastic case and come with a lanyard. I'll probably stick mine in my pocket. Notice ours are green, I don't know if the different colors are by deck or by cruise level. 

9 hours ago, rangeley said:

They have a clear plastic case and come with a lanyard. I'll probably stick mine in my pocket. Notice ours are green, I don't know if the different colors are by deck or by cruise level. 

They're by cruise level.  If your fairly new to Princess they would be blue.  Mine would be black.  So we'll be black and blue.  Sounds like us, doesn't it! 😘

Happy Weekend everyone.  We're at 98 degrees today and have fires all around us.  I have lost my voice from the winds and dry air.  I can't wait to get on that ship!

Hopefully by cruising time for Cindy, John and me the fires, winds and hot weather will be in the past.  👻  

14 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

They're by cruise level.  If your fairly new to Princess they would be blue.  Mine would be black.  So we'll be black and blue.  Sounds like us, doesn't it! 😘

Ours are green. We've been on Princess before. 

Be safe out there!!! 

I'm enjoying watching all the getting ready!  

Roz - hopefully the fires are a long way away from you!

We brought in a child's wading pool for the basement today, and will put puppy pads there for the days when the weather is just too nasty to go out, or in case Scooter catches a bug like he did last year.    He is so good at going outside, but last winter there was a streak when he had to get up in the middle of the night and have a poo.  For some reason, I didn't wake up.  He went to the basement from my room, and did his business next to the drain.  The basement is unfinished, so that was easy to clean up when we discovered it.  Well, I figure the wading pool and a puppy pad in the basement should be a good solution in case he needs to go again in the middle of the night and I don't move.  Particularly with the line of storms heading my direction!

3 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

I'm enjoying watching all the getting ready!  

Roz - hopefully the fires are a long way away from you!

We brought in a child's wading pool for the basement today, and will put puppy pads there for the days when the weather is just too nasty to go out, or in case Scooter catches a bug like he did last year.    He is so good at going outside, but last winter there was a streak when he had to get up in the middle of the night and have a poo.  For some reason, I didn't wake up.  He went to the basement from my room, and did his business next to the drain.  The basement is unfinished, so that was easy to clean up when we discovered it.  Well, I figure the wading pool and a puppy pad in the basement should be a good solution in case he needs to go again in the middle of the night and I don't move.  Particularly with the line of storms heading my direction!

Thankfully, I live in the city.  The mountains and fires are on my periphery and when the winds hit we get the smoke and smells but not the cinders and actual fires.  I love the visuals of the mountains and hilly terrain but it's just not safe anymore.

Disney used to use kiddie pools filled with mulch for their potty box's, good idea!