The Royal Princess is Top Notch!

Pashapug

Just returned from a 12-day cruise (Venice to Rome) and found that the Royal Princess AND the experience exceeded my expectations. This quick posting will give a run down on the issues I saw discussed before we sailed.

The crew were exceedingly friendly and helpful. The cabins were just the right size. My teenage children were in an adjoining cabin and we had the door opened between the balconies.

Facilities. The beds were comfortable (I saw no need for the "egg carton mattresses). Manuevering in and out of the bathroom was always an adventure cuz the open door fought for space with the closet door, but we got our moves down, and it was ultimately no problem. The library was a gem. The laundry room had several washers, dryers, and ironing boards. There was no cost to use the machines (and the detergent was free, too!)

Luggage. We definitely overpacked. We could have gotten by with a lot less...but who knew. I would certainly advise getting to the embarkation port at least a day or early to make sure your luggage is with you when you board the ship. I was at the purser desk when I heard them say that 17 cabins had not received their luggage from the airport when the ship sailed. The airlines are losing an increasing number of bags. In fact, on the way home, we lost 3 bags that weren't delivered to our home till three days later.

Dining. The Royal does not have anytime dining...you are either in the first or second seating (or else you can just go the buffet or get room service). We did dine one night at Sabatinis, but I don't recommend it. Yes, the service was great, but so was the service in the regular dining room. And the food was delicious, but so was the food in the regular dining room. The breakfast buffet was a real treat to those of used to grabbing a bowl of instant oatmeal in the morning.

Beverages. Buying the "soda card" was a good deal for us cuz we drink a lot of soda. We also never had a problem bringing wine or beer we purchased in ports on board. No one ever looked into a bag (although all bags had to go through an airport-type scanner). The prices on board for beer/wine/alcohol, etc. were very reasonable. We would order a bottle of wine for dinner. It usually lasted us two nights; our waiter would label it with our name and room number and bring it back to the table the enxt night.

Shore excursions. The shore excursions were excellent. The guides really knew their stuff and added a lot to each trip. I liked that the excursions were only half day because that gave us time to return to the ship to eat and sit in the sun, or whatever.

Entertainment. The shows were uneven in quality, but still entertaining. And all the performers had a lot of energy and enthusiasm!

Internet service (otherwise known as PIRACY ON THE HIGH SEAS). The Internet service was virtually non-existent and expensive. If you REALLY need to use the internet, at least wait until you're in port cuz the connection times were marginally faster. We took our wireless laptop (they have several "hot spots" on board) but regardless, the service was excrutiatingly slow, which matters when you're paying by the minute. The deck chairs were a little difficult to adjust.

Complaints. The deck chairs were a little difficult to adjust. :)

We will definitely cruise again...and most likely on Princess!!

Hi Pashapug:

Thanks for your insightful review. You mentioned that they have several internet "hotspots". Did they mention them in the Patter or did you find them on your own? I see Seaborn has wi-fi on the entire ship. I wish Princess would do the same.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. We looking forward to sailing on this ship in November on the same itinerary. Could you elaborate a little on the shore excursions you took? What excursions did you take in which ports. Were there any that you didn't like?

Another question. I know most of the ports currency is the EURO but I think a few hvae their own currency. For those that have their own currency will they also take USD or EURO?
In Split, most vendors only took the local Croatian currency, except of course those who took credit cards. The vendors at every other stop on the trip accepted euros, including Valleta and Kotor.

Les

Really appreciate your review and comments on your over cruise experience. Will be on the October Holy Land cruise and am interested in the quality of ship sponsored tours. I have been on the Pacific Princess which is the same type of ship in the past, enjoy it very much. Look forward to hearing from those who will be on the September Holy Land cruise. Especially interested in hearing about tours in Egypt. I am glad you had such a great cruise. Looking forward to a great trip in October. :)

In Split, most vendors only took the local Croatian currency, except of course those who took credit cards. The vendors at every other stop on the trip accepted euros, including Valleta and Kotor.

Les

Thanks Les, that will make it a whole lot easier. Now all I need to do is get a bucket load of Euros:eek: .

Archived