Why is this first time cruiser SO stressed?

KS17

Is there something wrong with me? I am completely stressed out as we prepare for our first cruise departing this Sunday on Freedom!

It's not that I'm fearful of being on the ship or anything like that. And my family has vacationed at caribbean resorts many times.

It's...

Am I packing enough?

Will we be dressed appropriately?

Which night should we make a reservation for Chops? What if the menu is really good in the dining room that night? Will we be able to see menus for the week when we board?

Which excursion(s) should we book?

Should we go to Orient Beach on our own or is it worth it to take excursion? Don't want to be rushed because my kids will want to parasail and rent waverunners.

Will we be able to go on a snorkeling excursion and still have any time for me to shop in St. Thomas?

What should we do in San Jan? None of the excursions appeal to us.

Will we be able to make early seating in the dining room on port days or should we just go to the buffet?

What kind of food will they have at the buffet?

Breakfast in the windjammer or dining room?

The shows, so many shows! I want to see comedy, magic, ice, quest, everything! Will there be time?

The parade...I read one parade was at 5:45. Will we be able to see it and go to dinner for 6?

How much cash should I bring?

When I read the other threads, everyone seems so relaxed and excited.

Not me!:o

take a deep breath............ahhhhhhhhhhh........

am i correct in assuming this is your 1st cruise? well you're in luck. you are going on an amazing ship with an amazing cruise company. there is no vacation like cruising. as far as relaxing.....if you're a planner, you won't even relax until about day 3;)

as far as packing....EVERYONE OVERPACKS. there are many threads regarding packing. appropriate dress? well you're talking to someone who boycotts formal night and most nights in the dining room.

we are of the belief that this is a vacation and don't want to have to "dress". we generally eat in the buffet (most meals) and on occasion the specialty restaurants which are amazing.

i'm sure someone on these boards has the menus for your cruise so you can plan in advance.

to further complicate your dining choices you can also order room service:)

the shows.......the ice show is during your sea days and you get tix in advance. for the evening shows.. no tickets are required.

everynight before you go to sleep..your cabin attendant will put the next days "compass" (days itinerary) in your room. you can plan your next day in advance including who the entertainment will be.

i will let other people help for now and will check back to see if you have any other questions. don't panic we're here to help:D

Am I packing enough?

How much cash should I bring?

Lay out all the clothes you think you'll need. And all the cash you'll think you'll need. Then take half the clothes and twice as much money!!

Seriously, though, it all depends on what you're planning to do. I didn't use much cash on either one of my last two cruises. I did have enough to pay for each of my shore excursions (we booked privately) but other than that, I didn't use much cash. Everything purchased on the ship (except room service tips) is billed to your SeaPass account, and I paid that bill with my credit card; I even had the standard tip amounts billed to the account. Oh, but I did put extra cash in the tip envelopes of the really fantastic people who made my trip extra special.

Will we be dressed appropriately?

Don't know - what are you planning to bring? :) Daytimes are pretty casual, although there are some rules about what can & cannot be worn in the dining room & Windjammer. You might want to peruse the Fashion & Beauty forum on CC with specific questions. I also found the guidelines on the RCCL site helpful.

Which night should we make a reservation for Chops? What if the menu is really good in the dining room that night? Will we be able to see menus for the week when we board?

I've heard that they have menus at Chops - or at least they know the basic theme for each night - so that might help you make your decision.

Which excursion(s) should we book?

Should we go to Orient Beach on our own or is it worth it to take excursion? Don't want to be rushed because my kids will want to parasail and rent waverunners.

Will we be able to go on a snorkeling excursion and still have any time for me to shop in St. Thomas?

What should we do in San Jan? None of the excursions appeal to us.

These are all tough ones since I don't know what your family's interests are.

I haven't done Orient Beach or snorkled in St Thomas, sorry, I can't help with that one.

I had a good time at each of my two stops in San Juan - for one of them, a friend & I just took the little map from the daily Cruise Compass and set off to see the sites. We made it to both of the historic forts and saw a lot of interesting things in between. But that might not be your thing. The second time, a group of us went in search of a bar that one of the group said she'd had an awesome mojito at - probably not a good excursion for a family with kids, but we had a blast! On that one, we also did a little shopping while we were waiting for the bar to open.

Will we be able to make early seating in the dining room on port days or should we just go to the buffet?

I had early seating on my Explorer cruise and never had a problem making it to the dining room on time.

What kind of food will they have at the buffet?

A really wide variety, from the little I've seen - I much preferred eating in the dining room. Did breakfast up there once or twice, lunch once or twice, never have done dinner.

Breakfast in the windjammer or dining room?

Try both, depending on your schedule. I really liked the dining room - if I want to eat cafeteria style, I can do that at work!

The shows, so many shows! I want to see comedy, magic, ice, quest, everything! Will there be time?

The evening shows are given twice, so you don't have to miss dinner to do it. The ice shows on Explorer were given at a wide variety of times. Quest is later at night - I don't think you'd have to miss the show to catch it. I found it helpful to bring a highlighter pen to mark the Cruise Compass with the things I thought I'd like to do. Occasionally ran into conflicts, but - hey, those are the things I can try on my next cruise!

The parade...I read one parade was at 5:45. Will we be able to see it and go to dinner for 6?

Sorry, I missed the parades on Explorer and Jewel didn't have any.

Take a deep breath. Now let it out. Relax. You're gonna be fine!!!

Whoa! You ARE stressing? This is a vacation (or is supposed to be!)! Why are you doing this to yourself? You've booked the cruise. Don't get all caught up on clothing--pack what you wear for everyday at home. Pack something for formal nights--that's all! You don't know these other cruisers! They don't give a damn what you're wearing! Truly, they don't!

Go with the flow! If you feel like eating in the dining room for breakfast, do it! If you want buffet food, go to the Windjammer! There is no right or wrong way to cruise. It's all about having a good time and RELAXING!!!

The shows are scheduled so no one need miss anything. Don't even start thinking about that so soon!

Bring more cash than you think you will need--and take most of it home and put it back in the bank, if you don't spend it!

Relax! Enjoy the anticipation, but don't make too much of this! It's just a vacation!

i'm back......

one show you must see is THE LOVE AND MARRIAGE SHOW. it is like the old "newlywed game" with cruisers as the contestants. it's hysterical.

orient beach has a "clothing optional" area. i don't know how old your kids are but you might want to consider this.

in st thomas we did a royal caribbean excursion that took us snorkeling on st. john and it was awesome. it was called ST. JOHN'S BEACH BREAK.

have you posted anything on the PORTS OF CALL board? you'll get some great advice there.

One suggestion that helped me a lot before I left for our cruise, walk away from all here in cruise critic and take a deep breath!!! You are suffering from cruise critic overload! You have done all your homework, you know what you want to do and what you don't want to do. Stop reading threads, do some packing, watch big brother and relaxxxxxxxx before you make yourself sick!!:eek:

Enjoy your cruise!:p

Please don't stress yourself out over this. Yes there is always the packing issue, but as others have said you don't have to eat in the DR if you don't want to. You can dress much more casually in the Windjammer and it is supposed to pretty good for diner. Do book Chops or Portofino's or both. But most importantly relax a little you're going on a great vacation on a beautiful ship.:) :)

It can be very stressful before the first cruise. There are so many questions one may have and so many concerns, but it is difficult to get answers.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll start with a few and let others fill in.

First, people often fret about choosing the perfect night for Chops or Portofino. You expressed the concern about what if the food in the dining room is really good that night? I doubt the food in the dining room will be better than Chops or Portofino on any night.

The other thing is cruising is all about food, food, food. About the third day of a cruise Hubby and I are so sick of food staring at us at all hours everywhere, that it is hard to imagine being concerned that we are missing better food somewhere.

Try breakfast in the dining room and see how it is. Try it in Windjammer and see how it is. You can even try room service to see how it is. Note that breakfast in the dining room can take longer than eating in the Windjammer. If you are in a hurry to make an excursion or whatever, you may prefer the Windjammer.

I think the biggest problem with many first time cruisers is that they want to maximize every minute, want to have perfection and want to make no mistakes. All understandable. But for my experience, every cruise is different. You never really know what to expect on every day, in every port. So much depends on unpredictable factors such as weather, the vibe of the particular passengers who booked the cruise, the time of year, etc.

Your question reminds me of my first cruise. Frankly I was really scared and kicking myself for even booking the cruise. As it turned out as soon as I saw the beautiful ship (Mariner of the Seas), my worries did vanish.

Believe me, I did make a few mistakes. The most serious included trying to do too much, burning the candle at both ends and being exhausted to the bone half way through the cruise. The second was I felt I wasn't well dressed enough at night. I was really taken aback by formal night when I saw all those men in tuxes and women in gowns. But that was over three years ago. I have noticed a trend toward somewhat less formality on formal nights, but not a dramatic reduction.

I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy cruising as much as Hubby and I do.

Too much analysis leads to paralysis........ remember that saying?:)

You're going to have a wonderful time. I wish I was back on Freedom. We watched the parade on the first night- it was about 10.30pm if I remember right. Try to get a good spot outside the Pub on the promenade,or maybe a little closer to the 'Bridge' across the promenade if you can....

Don't worry if you miss it though,they have another one. Be sure and read your 'Cruise Compass' every day and take it with you- highlight the things you want to do so you don't miss it. If you find there's a scheduling conflict don't panic because there's usually another chance to do most things.

DON'T MISS THE ICE SHOW!

Don't miss Quest.

Don't miss Once upon a Time show.

Don't miss the Love and Marriage show.

Don't miss the Flow Rider.

You can sleep when you get home...... LOL:D

One suggestion that helped me a lot before I left for our cruise, walk away from all here in cruise critic and take a deep breath!!! You are suffering from cruise critic overload! You have done all your homework, you know what you want to do and what you don't want to do. Stop reading threads, do some packing, watch big brother and relaxxxxxxxx before you make yourself sick!!:eek:

Enjoy your cruise!:p

I have Big Brother on while I'm on Cruise Critic. But I'm recording it because I can't concentrate! lol

But you're right, I am on overload. The information on these boards is wonderful, but it's running through my mind 24/7 and it's addictive.

Okay, I'm taking a breath. Feeling better.

:)

We just took a cab to Orient Beach when we went. Make sure you agree on the fare before you get in the cab. Beware, there is a clothing optional section at one end and people will occasionally stroll by 'on their way there'. My kids were quite amazed. (and it was more than topless, in one case, two couples happily strolling by together, no clothes at all. never saw that on mtv)

We always have early seating and have always had time to get there. If one night you don't ask the headwaiter if there is room for you at the later seating. When in port, the dining room is often only half-full.

Pack regular clothes for everyday, but don't pack 'extra'.

Never did Chops or Portofino. Although I am sure they are both wonderful, I just can't eat so much all week long, plus my kids like us to eat with them in the dining room each night.

Oh,as for Orient Beach- you can get a taxi for $6 per person from the area that you dock at in St Maarten. It is about a 20minute ride. It is a very long beach. As you arrive you will see a few people going topless- yawn yawn - I was with teenage boys and they see much more than that on MTV every day, but if that bothers you with your children, then stay down in that area as the further up the beach you walk you may encounter people in their 'natural state' hee hee- I didn't see any but I was told it was all old geezers in their 70's who should know better...... :D seriously,if you just want a beach day with jetski and parasailing there's not much point in paying RCCL excursion prices. Besides if you get too hot or tired and want to go back to the ship you can just get a taxi and go,not wait for coach etc.

Have a wonderful time.

Oh- Re clothing ..... it is HOT down there.... lots of shorts and tops needed,not dressy during the daytime at all. I always find I take too much dressy stuff and never wear it and wish I had more tops and shorts with me.

As my grandkids say, Chill! You are going to have a wonderful time. Our first cruise was in 1993 on the NCL Norway and it got us hooked. We had no clue about dress codes, etc. other than there were two formal nights. DH showed up at one of the alternative restaurants in dressy shorts one night and was denied entrance. He went back to the cabin and changed and in the process sat on his glasses which he had left on the bed! Wore his sunglasses the rest of the cruise but it didn't bother him at all. He (and me as well) was hooked!

See the ice show. It's amizing that people can do routines like that on such a small rink.

Everyone overpacks..I think it's an unwritten law:p

You're basic black cocktail dress is fine for formal nights.

go with the flow. Don't forget to people watch, that can be the best thing on the cruise.

Most importantly--have fun. You're on vacation.

As my grandkids say, Chill! You are going to have a wonderful time. Our first cruise was in 1993 on the NCL Norway and it got us hooked. We had no clue about dress codes, etc. other than there were two formal nights. DH showed up at one of the alternative restaurants in dressy shorts one night and was denied entrance. He went back to the cabin and changed and in the process sat on his glasses which he had left on the bed! Wore his sunglasses the rest of the cruise but it didn't bother him at all. He (and me as well) was hooked!

That is funny!!

I know you can O.D. on this site but I wish I had known about it before my first cruise- hadn't a clue- no one mentioned the Compass to me and they deliver so much junk mail to your cabin each day I didn't even notice it..... I was wondering how everyone knew what was going on and I didn't know,kept missing all sorts of fun things..... then about the end of the second day I discovered what it was for..... duh:)

You want to meet at the Steamroom for lunch? You can get all your stress out over their delicious lobster bisque.

I'd love to hit the steamroom for lunch before we leave, lol, but tomorrow will be packing day, getting dog to kennel, etc.

Do you believe they have metered parking in all the lots down port now? It's ridiculous!

I'd love to hit the steamroom for lunch before we leave, lol, but tomorrow will be packing day, getting dog to kennel, etc.

Do you believe they have metered parking in all the lots down port now? It's ridiculous!

Have a wonderful time! I will be leaving for Alaska before you get back so take your time writing your review so it is not a page 4 before I get back. LOL.;)

I'm a first-time cruiser, too, so I know just how ya feel!! My cruise isn't for over six more months, though.

Try to take some moments to think about things that have absolutely nothing to do with travel, cruise, other countries, these boards, etc. I know it is hard, but you can do it! :)

Okay, I'm starting to feel a little better. It's a vacation. I have to relax! I am a planner by nature so I am making myself crazy. :)

Information overload!

Truly, some things are just more enjoyable when you simply let things happen. A cruise is one of those things.

:)

Must by FTC syndrome. (First Time Cruiser). I am also afflicted by this. I think alot of it has to do with being away from everything.

My fears are - how much money we'll need, cell phone usage, which I think I'll post another thread about, what clothing to take, making sure I'm stocked on personals and meds. Most if it will probably all be looked back on as being stupid when we return.

Just curious....why do you feel compelled to take a cell phone?

I have a 16 year old daughter, even though under supervision, scares the crap out of me. This will be the first time ever to leave the kids for more than a night.

Reading your post made me smile because it brought me back to my first cruise. So here is the skinny, you went to the caribbean with your family all ready think about what you took to go on vacation there, it will not be much different, Remember that outfits can be interchanged. Daytime I was in shorts or a bathing suit and that was the attire for the week in daytime.

No matter when you do chops or Portifino it will be worth it. Great food and service and breaks up your week. Both Speciality restaurants will take you about 2 hours to dine in and should be booked as soon as you get on the ship since they fill up very fast. If you do consider going to the speciality restaurants then do it on one of your excrusion trips so you will not feel rushed.

I normally do coffee on the balcony every morning

Breakfast and Lunch in the windjammer

Dinner in the dining room or one of the speciality restaurants

As you mentioned your a planner but you are also on vacation you do not have to plan every minute of your cruise that will put you into over load and you will stess yourself out. If you miss the love and marriage game they show it on the tv in your room the next day. Plan what you really want to do ie quest etc and develop your day from that. Quest does not start until 10:30 PM

Most of all enjoy yourself I am a planner as well but have learnt from cruising to slow down, just take it in and enjoy that your on vacation.

Archived