Antarctica-Large Ship Question

LThom

I've been a lurker on this board for a long time but have never posted. My husband and I are considering the Princess ship for the Antarctic in 2008. My question is this - how much of the iceburgs, glaciers, wildlife will we see without doing a landing (through binocs of course)? I'm okay with seasickness on large ships, however I suffer severely on the small ships which is the main reason for not doing a ship with the landings. Any insight would be appreciated.

LThom: we saw Antarctica from Holland America Lines' M.S. Amsterdam, a large ship, and believe me, you will see hundreds of icebergs and wildlife of all kinds, some that you probably have never seen before. It was an experience of a lifetime! As exciting as actually setting foot on Antarctica may be, you will not be disappointed by taking a large ship, IMO. Go for it!

You might consider finding a viewing spot on a lower deck for at least part of the time that you're on deck - especially for wildlife that is in the water. Closer perspective. Also, most of the icebergs are immense and you get a different perspective of them when you're looking at them from a lower angle of view - keep an eye out for penguins rafting on the icebergs (mostly on older icebergs that have been eroded and which have a slope the penguins can climb up).

Although birds will be flying all around, an aft deck is usually best for watching birds in flight - seeing a wanderer up close as it floats on the updrafts is a sight not to be easily forgotten. If you're going to photograph birds in flight, try to find an angled post or wall to lean against for extra stability.

Have a terrific time.

I sure concur with h2so4's advice. Durng the day we spent almost all of our time on the aft deck and had great views, especially of the interesting seabirds: cormorants, petrels, etc. They trail the ship seeking food, I guess, but they were fascinating. Also, we seemed to be heading north each evening in Antarctic waters and looking aft, the sunsets were beautiful.

I was on Abercrombie and Kent's Explorer in 1996 (10 year wedding anniversary), only 86 passengers, smaller ships tend to be expeditions and the food quality is quite poor, but the shore excursions were quite awesome, we would land on a beach in the Zodiacs and there would be seals about 50 feet or less away from us...Sit on a rock and the penguins come right up to you...

On a larger ship you will be pampered, I am seriously thinking of doing a large ship cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary. One thing to keep in mind is that they may not be able to use stablizers when they are in ice fields since they can damage them, our ship did not have them and it would basically go on top or the thin ice and break it..

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We're still trying to decide between this cruise, or a rail trip through Europe. I'm leaning this way...my husband is leaning Europe. A split decision!! Again, thanks.

We spent almost three full days off Antarctica earlier this year. It was breathtaking. You would see so many different type of icebergs. And you will see lots of sea life. One time they said that their were 10 yes, 10 whales off the bow of the ship and we could see them. Another time there were lots of Penguins. It is a wonderful experience. One of the best we've ever had and were on a full world cruise where there was so much to see.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for the great advice. We're still trying to decide between this cruise, or a rail trip through Europe. I'm leaning this way...my husband is leaning Europe. A split decision!! Again, thanks.

Would you do a rail trip of Europe w/o ever getting off the train - just whizzing past scenery? That is the equivalent of a large boat cruise through Antarctica.

DON

On the Crystal Symphony in early 2005 there was definitely no whizzing past scenery. It's more like an easy, slow drift. The ship brought aboard an "ice pilot" whose specialty is navigating between the icebergs and floating chunks of ice. We have a great picture of a floating ice chunk with two occupants - one penguin and one seal, an intriguing combination, especially for the penguin. This was very close to the ship -- could almost see the anticipation in the eyes of the seal.

The Antarctic glaciers make Alaskan glaciers look puny (and I loved Alaska). The lecturers were very knowledgeable about the desperate struggles of the early explorers. Near the U.S. research outpost at Palmer Station, some scientists came onboard (via Zodiac) and mingled with the guests. The scientists benefited from the great food and the guests heard first hand what it's like to spend months in the isolation of the station.

We were so enchanted with our few days in Antarctic waters that we will be doing a cruise with Zodiac landings later this year.

The "big" ship itineraries that dip into Antarctic waters have other ports of call that are amazing. We've had two trips "around the horn", one on Crystal, one on Silversea -- and we're going back yet again. Places like Puerto Chacabuco, Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas, the Chilean fjords and the Falklands are worth the trip, even without Antarctica. And we love Ushuaia -- we had a 4x4 adventure into the woods and through the mud, it was terrific.

The 4x4 adventure was a shorex offered by the Silver Wind. However, anyone can book directly with the owner/operator. His website is here. (Admittedly, he's a better guide than webmaster.) We were a small group that filled two 4x4's. When the first one got stuck in the mud, the second one hauled out the winch. Great fun.

Waaay back in the woods we saw first hand the damage that beavers have done to the terrain. The trip was capped off with snacks and choice of hot chocolate or wine in a small cabin warmed by a pot belly stove. We relished those treats more than the gourmet meal waiting on the ship.

Lots of big bumps, not recommended for anyone with back problems but we'd do it again.;)

LThom: I was on the Rotterdam last year in Antarctica and it was wonderful. We were being shadowed by a large Princess ship for 3 days and because it was so large it was unable to go into some of the bays and channels that we were able to get to. I'm sure Princess is a nice cruise line, but in Antarctica, maybe HAL would be your better choice. HAL's ships are a bit smaller and easier to move around.

In terms of size..what is your(anyone) opinion of Azamara Journey and their Antartica itin? I am new to cruising, trying to understand what you do and don't do when going to the lines web sites. Would a ship the size of the Journey have some zodiac trips?

Thanks for your help,

Cindy

I don't believe that the Journey cruises have any zodiac landings when in Antarctica. Although the ship is small compared to the behemoths of the cruise world, it still carries over 600 people; too many to efficiently land since landings in Antarctica are restricted to no more than 100. If you go to the Azamara Board you'll probably find discussions specific to the itinerary that will answer more of your questions.

In terms of size..what is your(anyone) opinion of Azamara Journey and their Antartica itin? I am new to cruising, trying to understand what you do and don't do when going to the lines web sites. Would a ship the size of the Journey have some zodiac trips?

Thanks for your help,

Cindy

When I was researching all options to plan my upcoming trip, I called Celebrity to ask if the Azamara Journey trips included zodiac landings and they told me "No landings," just cruise by and around the areas. However, I advise that you check for yourself on this.

In 2005 the Symphony itself handled the seas just fine. However, one night we slept through some rough seas in the Drake. (We were on deck 8). In the morning at deck 5 where the reception desk is located, there was lots of commotion. Seems some flotsam had been propelled by the waves directly at the window of a stateroom down the hall from the reception desk. The window broke and water poured in. Quite a fright for the couple occupying the room.

The real story is how Crystal handled the situation. Crew immediately sprang into action to get the couple safely to a dry stateroom, repair the window, clean the water from the hall and dry the area. Crystal flew someone from L.A. management to the next port to both assess the damage and see to the needs of the couple.

This was a freak occurrence that was handled very well by Crystal. I would happily cruise with them any time in any waters.

I'm not surprised at Crystal's response to the displaced guests and the damaged cabin. Crystal is a class act. We've booked three segments on Crystal from LA-Valparaiso, Valparaiso-Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires-Miami in December 2008-January 2009 and we'll celebrate our 10th Crystal cruise while on board. Despite the risks of rough seas around the Horn and traversing the Drake Passage, I trust the skill of the Crystal captains. A crew member did tell us of the need to strap themselves to their beds to avoid being thrown out during one of trips around the Horn. But I suppose that goes with the territory.

Wishing you smooth sailings!

Ricki

• 2 weeks later...

anickat: we sailed around Cape Horn on the Amsterdam in Dec 2003. IMO, it is best to expect rough seas and hope for calm seas. I have read more than a handful of reviews about very rough conditions, but having said that, here is a picture of what the seas looked like when we were at Cape Horn:

1645856697_CapeHorn-December262003forCCpost.jpg.ae5a757e85d5affcaf4c4b2c754e7bcc.jpg

anickat: we sailed around Cape Horn on the Amsterdam in Dec 2003. IMO, it is best to expect rough seas and hope for calm seas. I have read more than a handful of reviews about very rough conditions, but having said that, here is a picture of what the seas looked like when we were at Cape Horn:

We had a force 10 gale at Cape Horn on the Nordkapp which is a medium sized ship. I spent the entire time outside and plastered against the bow bulkhead taking pictures. As long as I stayed against the bow, all was OK. When I moved from the bow, I had to hold onto the railing to keep from being blown.

It was great.

DON

Don--you are sooooo lucky! I was secretly hoping for a bit of rough seas at Cape Horn, but for DW I am glad we were spared.

We were at Puerto Chacabuco with the Nordkapp's sister ship, the NordNorge--looked like an nice and very interesting ship.

Archived