Food in Paris

My family (2 adults, 2 teens) is considering spending some time pre or post cruise in Paris. I haven't been to Paris for quite some time and was wondering what I should budget for food - we are casual eaters and would probably eat in bistros or brasseries. Any idea?

I also would like to get some advises on food. We'll be in Paris for one evening (connecting flight home next day) and would like to have a dinner, preferable near the Eiffel Tower. Any suggestions for a reasonable and nice place?

Thank You!:rolleyes:

It is always hard to give advice on this because how much to buget depends on different factors such as what you eat. Honestly, I think you would do better to come up with a budget and then find places that allow you to stick within the budget. My experience is that it is expensive to eat in Paris and then don't forget the exchange rate. When you book a hotel try to get a plan that includes breakfast. Many times I find that it is more economicial to do that so that is something to consider.

Keith

You will find all kinds of eateries in Paris, from fast-food-stands (some Arabian fast food is really good) over tourist traps to gourmet restaurants. Beware of restaurants with pictures of dishes, with menus in several languages, and with french fries.

If you want to save money but enjoy first-class French food go into a neighborhood charcuterie and buy some of the ready-to-eat specialities. Many items are finger-food, but it can do not harm to bring some cutlery with you. Many patisseries also have wonderful prepared dishes. And browsing through a French supermarket (better: hypermarché) will be a stunning experience!

If you wander into 'Rive Gauche', the Left Bank, across the Seine from Notre Damme, there is warren of streets with countless restaurants, one better than the next, serving inexpensive food of all kinds.

Most, if not all, serve a fixed price three course menu, ideal for tourists.

Thank you everyone for the excellent advice...in terms of relatively inexpensive prix fixe - any idea what that would be for one person - 25E? 50E?

We were in Paris in 2000 and we had several prixe fixe meals for $60E for 2 people with a carafe of house wine. I am not sure if those prices still exist.

Thank you everyone for the excellent advice...in terms of relatively inexpensive prix fixe - any idea what that would be for one person - 25E? 50E?
It really depends on the restaurant. I've seen many prix fixe menus in France for €10 per person. You might well be able to find some even cheaper than that.

Unfortunately, I'm of the generation that still can't work out how much that is proper French money. :D

Unfortunately, I'm of the generation that still can't work out how much that is proper French money. :D

I am of the generation that says, thank God (or at least the treaty of Maastricht I think) for the Euro. As a US tourist, anything to eliminate and reduce currency exchanges in Europe I am for.

Archived