liquir on the plane

Am I reading correctly , we are not permitted to take any alcohol on the plane in a roll on suitcase? What about people bringing back cardboard carrying boxes with it? Please write back because I leave for PR this afternoon Thanks

We travel often with liquor in our luggage when we fly - we bring either bubble wrap or those foam sleeves to put it in- we then wrap it in plastic bags- and then wrap clothing around them- and put them in the middle of the bag- with clothing all around them. So far- have had not problem- but always wrap in the plastic just for safety- you have to take some care and be sure you have lots of padding around them - good luck. rlb

Bottles must be packed in luggage that is checked. Or it can be checked in the store's cardboard carrier. Not recommended. I read somewhere that the sale of liquors abroad have gone down because no one wants to mess with the new TSA rules. It's a shame, but reality.

Actually, you can bring it onboard IF you buy it at the airport duty free shop (in the "sterile area" after going through security). The 3 oz rule is for items you bring with you to the airport. However, this applies only when traveling domestically (including USVI and PR to the US), NOT if you're coming from abroad.

And not all liquor can be taken in your checked baggage. Liquor over 140 proof (70% alcohol) is not allowed. Check out: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

The only liquor you can carry on board is bottles you buy in a duty free shop after you have gone thru security.

If you go thru customs in one US airport and then fly to another, you CANNOT carry the booze on the domestic flight(s). They made several announcements at baggage claim, but I still saw someone have bottles confiscated at security.

• 2 weeks later...

now if i put the liquir in 2 ounce bottles, label it and put it in my checked luggage - is that ok- hate to not be able to bring back absolut vodka as it's such a great deal- 2 for $19 compared to 1 here at $30 plus tax- do the containers have to be be permanantly sealed or waht- tsa is not real clear on that part

nmcruiser--in your situation, coming back from a cruise where you bought liquor in St. Thomas, the rule is the one for domestic flights (I assume Florida to Ohio). Ignore all the comments about the duty free airport store; while correct, it does not apply to you in this situation.

You would not want to ever repack into small bottles for carry on. All of them would have to fit into a one quart zipper bag. Not very many fit and its not worth the effort.

You can put the bottles of Absolute inside your checked luggage. Wrap them well. Pad them in the center of your luggage. (Some airlines do not allow checked bottles, so do verify with your specific carrier.)

Am I reading correctly , we are not permitted to take any alcohol on the plane in a roll on suitcase? What about people bringing back cardboard carrying boxes with it? Please write back because I leave for PR this afternoon Thanks
you can bring all you want back in your shipped luggage, of course it may or may not get to your final destination safely. No, none can be carried on at this time. Hopefully they will rethink this one day soon.

Nita

Archived