Complaint of the Week #16

Philip217

The past few weeks were rather quiet, but we are now seeing the full-blown summer holiday crowd with the inevitable challenges.

These folks below did not have the best of luck.

"Spent most of the cruise recovering from eating parasitic food in the buffet on Day 1. This led to cabin confinement for something that was not contagious. Could not use veranda due to smokers and lewd behaviour by guests on both sides. Guests were very loud, spitting, cursing, smoking. We called the Front Desk Supervisor about screaming children in the next cabin.

Adult later yelled at us through veranda and threatened to "Kick our Butts" if we called front desk again.

We will be writing a formal letter of complaint after the cruise is over."

Firstly I usually love your "Complaint of the week " posts .

I read the this complaint over about 4 times, and while I do not know if this persons complaint is justified not not, I am still trying to find anything in it to make me quote " laugh out loud " .

He may really have been cursed at, spat at, shouted at and threatened with violence from a bully, I do not know. Given that this is possible how can some people find it funny. What am I missing ? :confused:

I usually find these very amusing just like almost everyone else, however, I'm with you on this one Wizard. If this did indeed happen to these folks then it seems they have a legitimate gripe.

By the way, where do you live in Wales if you don't mind me asking? I have good friends that live in Llantwit Major. They keep after me to come back over. We loved Wales.:)

You really need to read between the lines on this one.

Parasitic Food in the buffet? Hardly.

These people brought Norwalk Virus onto the ship and were trying to get a free cruise out of it. Luckily their cabin steward reported vomiting in their cabin on the first day and "outed them" to the Medical Staff. We were able to contain them before they spread it around.

Troublesome neighbors? Not really. These people were just plain nasty and needed ammunition for their free cruise demand/request. What are the odds of having neighbors on both sides of you, with lewd behaviour on their balconies?

Their neighbors were so upset with them that they finally snapped and apparently gave them some trouble in return.

These people are very representative of about 10 to 20 cabins every week who come onboard for the sole purpose of getting a free cruise. They come up with all sorts of crazy schemes and stories in the attempt. Unfortunately they tie up most of my time. Instead of taking care of the "good Guests", I spend my entire week playing games with people like this.

Generally in the end, they get next to nothing, and have had a very difficult week for their trouble.

Wait until I give you Complaint #17 next week. It's a Golden Oldie from my archives. One of my favorite all time scam complaints.

You really need to read between the lines on this one... These people were just plain nasty and needed ammunition for their free cruise demand/request. What are the odds of having neighbors on both sides of you, with lewd behaviour on their balconies?

Their neighbors were so upset with them that they finally snapped and apparently gave them some trouble in return.

These people are very representative of about 10 to 20 cabins every week who come onboard for the sole purpose of getting a free cruise. They come up with all sorts of crazy schemes and stories in the attempt. Unfortunately they tie up most of my time. Instead of taking care of the "good Guests", I spend my entire week playing games with people like this.

Generally in the end, they get next to nothing, and have had a very difficult week for their trouble.

Seems like a waste of time (yours) and money (theirs) because if they spend all their time complaining, how can they enjoy anything?

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

You really need to read between the lines on this one.

Parasitic Food in the buffet? Hardly.

These people brought Norwalk Virus onto the ship and were trying to get a free cruise out of it. Luckily their cabin steward reported vomiting in their cabin on the first day and "outed them" to the Medical Staff. We were able to contain them before they spread it around.

Troublesome neighbors? Not really. These people were just plain nasty and needed ammunition for their free cruise demand/request. What are the odds of having neighbors on both sides of you, with lewd behaviour on their balconies?

These people are very representative of about 10 to 20 cabins every week who come aboard for the sole purpose of getting a free cruise. They come up with all sorts of crazy schemes and stories in the attempt. Unfortunately they tie up most of my time. Instead of taking care of the "good Guests", I spend my entire week playing games with people like this.

Wait until I give you Complaint #17 next week. It's a Golden Oldie from my archives. One of my favorite all time scam complaints.

I totally agree and sympathise with you about having to "manage " certain people who behave in the way you have just described . I too have worked with the public, and know how demanding, manipulative and unreasonable some of them behave, and the lengths some people will go to to grab themselves a "freebie. "

However , since I and others were not party to this information, I stand by my opinion that , taken solely as it is written , and not knowing the complainant's history, the situation as presented , was not funny.

I was suspect of the very first complaint, getting sick from the 1st day buffet. I was always under the impression that it takes anywhere from 8 to 48 hours to develop symptoms from tainted food. So, unless there are enough people with the same illness and it can be traced, who is to know exactly where you got it?

Add to that the fact they did not feel they were contagious...that is so wrong. If you have an illness like this you are not only contagious while you are sick, but for a day or two after you are feeling better. How many times do we need to read of outbreaks onboad cruise ships? It is all from people not staying quarantined. It's such a shame to get sick and ruin a vacation, I feel fortunate it has not happened to us.

I have to accept what Philip217 says about the rest of the post. I know I've met up with people on cruises before where we are having just the best tims, but all you hear from them is complaints. We leave the complainers as soon as we possibly can, I don't have time to listen to it on my vacation :)

I usually find these very amusing just like almost everyone else, however, I'm with you on this one Wizard. If this did indeed happen to these folks then it seems they have a legitimate gripe.

By the way, where do you live in Wales if you don't mind me asking? I have good friends that live in Llantwit Major. They keep after me to come back over. We loved Wales.:)

Excuse me hijacking this thread for an off topic answer, but it would be rude if me not to respond.

Hi, Pyrate , glad you liked Wales so much, I call it God's Little Acre.

We live about 25 miles from Llantwit Major , near Caerphilly, which puts us an hour from beautiful beaches, and an hour from majestic mountains, the Brecon Beacons.

Always remember " We keep a welcome in the mountains, we keep a welcome in the vales ," etc. ....:)

Thanks... Phillip217...meanwhile .. back at the thread.....;)

Welsh Wizards,

Most of the complaints I receive are not very funny.

Many are quite legitimate. Some are sad, some are ridiculous, and others downright pathetic.

This one fell into one of those latter categories.

In recent years I meet more and more cruisers who obviously couldn't afford their cruise and are willing to go to incredible lengths to get "something for nothing".

Welsh Wizards,

Most of the complaints I receive are not very funny.

Many are quite legitimate. Some are sad, some are ridiculous, and others downright pathetic.

This one fell into one of those latter categories.

In recent years I meet more and more cruisers who obviously couldn't afford their cruise and are willing to go to incredible lengths to get "something for nothing".

My post seems to have been misunderstood .

By their very nature complaints and complainers do not mean to be funny. Your quoted "complaint " most definitely fell into a few of your suggested categories. If you read my comment it was not about how sad, ridiculous , pathetic , funny, or valid , his comments were.

I mearly gently wondered where anyone who posted [ not yourself ] had found humour enough in the situation . as posted , to actually laugh out loud.

Firstly I usually love your "Complaint of the week " posts .

I read the this complaint over about 4 times, and while I do not know if this persons complaint is justified not not, I am still trying to find anything in it to make me quote " laugh out loud " .

He may really have been cursed at, spat at, shouted at and threatened with violence from a bully, I do not know. Given that this is possible how can some people find it funny. What am I missing ? :confused:

I know what you mean.....but some people dont like peguins bully the other peguins, and putting skates on a bear is cruel....and my god that poor cat with the ear phones.......lol sorry but everybody see's bullying in a different light....no offense meant whatsoever but wanted you to see a different perspective........:D :D

I know what you mean.....but some people dont like penguins bully the other penguins, and putting skates on a bear is cruel....and my god that poor cat with the ear phones.......lol sorry but everybody See's bullying in a different light....no offense meant whatsoever but wanted you to see a different perspective........:D :D

Hi, Country fox.... Gosh.... :D I would never have bulliyng on my posts. ! ! I have it on the good authority of no other than the renowned penguin expert Professor I . B. A . Flipper that this incident is indeed a ritual penguin courting rite.

I did NOT put the skates on the bear, he puts his own on, and the cat with the earphones on is in reality a very well know disc jockey here in Wales. Nothing wrong with other perspectives. :D

Hullo Welsh Wizard

My complaint is that no matter which ship I sail on I can never get any Caerphilly Cheese.!

Live in Fl now but born in Mountain Ash, back in the "bad old days" when the only job was down the mines, and the miners came home covered in coal dust to bathe in a tin bath in front of the fire in the kitchen.

Now you know how ancient I am

Still want that Caerphilly Cheese.

The past few weeks were rather quiet, but we are now seeing the full-blown summer holiday crowd with the inevitable challenges.

These folks below did not have the best of luck.

"Spent most of the cruise recovering from eating parasitic food in the buffet on Day 1. This led to cabin confinement for something that was not contagious. Could not use veranda due to smokers and lewd behaviour by guests on both sides. Guests were very loud, spitting, cursing, smoking. We called the Front Desk Supervisor about screaming children in the next cabin.

Adult later yelled at us through veranda and threatened to "Kick our Butts" if we called front desk again.

Were they on a P&O ship? :eek:

Hullo Welsh Wizard

My complaint is that no matter which ship I sail on I can never get any Caerphilly Cheese.!

Live in Fl now but born in Mountain Ash, back in the "bad old days" when the only job was down the mines, and the miners came home covered in coal dust to bathe in a tin bath in front of the fire in the kitchen.

Now you know how ancient I am

Still want that Caerphilly Cheese.

OP...appologies for highjacling your tread for a trice.

===============================================

Hi, Jimsgirl,

Have you ever been home lately.? You would never recognise the Valleys. Back to green again, and the rivers almost clean, with fish in ! My Dad was a miner, but not my brothers, nor my husband, nor my sons, thank goodness. When my husband and I first got married, we too bathed in the tin bathe.

As for the cheese, here is a link to drool over, and a non smelly picture is all I can supply. Enjoy ...:D

http://www.wda.co.uk/resources/trethowanstruetasteproducergold1.pdf

caerphilly.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

[quote=Philip217;11199936Adult later yelled at us through veranda and threatened to "Kick our Butts" if we called front desk again.

ROFL!!!! I would LOVE to see their "formal" complaint letter!! Too funny! Another great one, Philip!!:D

My post seems to have been misunderstood .

By their very nature complaints and complainers do not mean to be funny. Your quoted "complaint " most definitely fell into a few of your suggested categories. If you read my comment it was not about how sad, ridiculous , pathetic , funny, or valid , his comments were.

I mearly gently wondered where anyone who posted [ not yourself ] had found humour enough in the situation . as posted , to actually laugh out loud.

Perhaps the first part about the food was over the top....but I agree there is nothing funny about rude guests. In fact, considering the recent events on the Liberty....you would think that Security would be the last thing anyone would be joking about.

Carnival is not getting best score lately on getting " out of hand " guest under control.

Archived