Attire for Ladies on PG

fireflytx

Ladies, I need some advice... we are sailing on the PG Sept 1 for 14 days.... I have my attire for the evenings, but was wondering, aside from swimsuits... what is the attire for daytime? This is our first trip to Tahiti and I was wondering about the temperature....any help would be greatly appreciated. I think I have a pretty good idea , as this is our 14th cruise, but I could use some past cruiser advice.

Ricki Smith

Daytime, on board ship and on land, I lived in a few beautiful pareo's and tank tops. If you don't have any to take, they are certainly available almost anywhere you go. There are so many, in lovely colors and designs, that is becomes a big decision as to what to buy. I thought I had found the "perfect" one and, lo and behold, at the next port I found a better "perfect" one. There will be a class on board ship on pareo tying and we also visited a place on Bora Bora, on a ship's tour, where they showed how they were made and they also had a tying demonstration. Anyway, they are really fun and relatively inexpensive. Pair them with some native jewelry and you're good to go.

I definitely agree about the pareos. I've been 3 times, and I own, ah, 5 of them, a lifetime supply. Right now I wear one every morning instead of a dressing gown. At the cottage in the summer, I practically live in them. But I expect if I go to FP again, I will buy at least one more--I usually buy a couple for friends as well.

Right on, Wendy, they make really nice gifts to bring back for friends and they take up very little space. Do shop for some native jewelry though, it's so fun and I get rave revues here when I wear it. Don't know your itinerary but we found some really neat stuff in the Marquesas.

Greystuff, tell me what you got in the Marquesas. I'm booked there next year (and finances willing, we will actually go!)

I agree about the native jewellery. I have nice black pearls, but it's the mother of pearl jewellery, simple things that cost $10-20, that get the comments back home.

Well, looks like I'm packing cash and credit cards instead of alot of clothes... thanks for the info.... I can't wait to get some paeros... I do have two from Hawaii.... as for black pearls... to quote my two favorite women, Wilma and Betty " CHARGE IT " :D

Hi FireflytX,

We are also on the PG Sept. 1st cruise and I plan on taking a few shorts and maybe one pair of capri's for the day. I also like the idea of pareo's so may not wear any of the above, but will take them, "just in case". This is our 23rd cruise, but we have never been to Tahiti. I am so excited! This is for our 47th anniversary. I am also taking nice black capris ( kind of silky) for evening and a lot of silky tops. I am hoping to pack light--that is always my intention, but usually I take more than I need.

Where are you located? We live in Jefferson City, MO, originally from St. Louis. Hope to see you on the cruise.

Micked10

Hi Wendy,

The native jewelry in the Marquesas is somewhat different that in the other islands. They don't use the mother of pearl as much but natural seeds, beads, etc. A lot of it is a combination of black and red but it's the way they weave it that makes it so pretty. A nice necklace ran $15 - $20. I was so in awe of the beautiful mother of pearl necklaces that the LeGauguines wore and asked them where they got them. They told me about the place in the Marketplace in Papeete. If you get there, it's on the upstairs level. Was also told they were quite pricey, several hundred dollars depending on the design etc. However, I found a beautiful one on Moorea at one of the vendor tables at the dock area. It was around $90 and whenever I wear it someone always asks "Oh my gosh, where did you get that?" I really love it. Also, they use the black pearl shells extensively and that makes beautiful jewelry as well. That's just fun stuff, the really gorgeous stuff is, of course, the black pearls. Be sure to visit a black pearl farm. You will really get an appreciation for them and a better understanding of why they are so expensive. Educate yourself before buying. There was a wonderful lecture on board ship on how to determine quality of the black pearl, very very interesting.

The rest of you on this thread, have a wonderful cruise, it's awesome. Just remember it's hot and humid over there, the cooler you can dress, the better. I remember stepping off the plane in Papeete early evening and just went "Oh my gosh!" It's amazing how fast you acclimate though. Could be because you're having so much fun. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

We sailed on the 14 day PG trip in February. When you go ashore, be prepared for it to be very hot. (It was much hotter and more humid than Hawaii, for example.) Take your lightest weight cottons and a disposable rain poncho. We hit a very rainy spell, but that might have been unusual.

BTW, the jewelry from the Marquesas is made from seeds and, along with their wood carvings, can make wonderful souvenirs or gifts. There will be women at the piers at some ports selling these, and one day the ship had some of them come on board and set up tables there, too.

Be sure to check out the ink drawings on hand made paper from the Marquesas. If you're interested in buying, be sure to grab one when you see it. You may not see them later.

Enjoy Paradise.

Hi FireflytX,

We are also on the PG Sept. 1st cruise and I plan on taking a few shorts and maybe one pair of capri's for the day. I also like the idea of pareo's so may not wear any of the above, but will take them, "just in case". This is our 23rd cruise, but we have never been to Tahiti. I am so excited! This is for our 47th anniversary. I am also taking nice black capris ( kind of silky) for evening and a lot of silky tops. I am hoping to pack light--that is always my intention, but usually I take more than I need.

Where are you located? We live in Jefferson City, MO, originally from St. Louis. Hope to see you on the cruise.

Micked10

Hi Micked10... we are located in Austin Texas. We are celebrating my 50th birthday... I too am taking nice capris and silky tops for evening, but kid of drew a blank about daytime, aside from swimsuits. But the paeros seem to be the "it" item..... but I do need to take a tying class... hope to see you aboard!

Hi fireflytx,

We are celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary! Can't wait for this cruise. Have you booked any excursions yet? I booked Marc's on Huahine and Damien on Bora Bora and the Snorkeling on Aituki but want to chance that to Lagoon and Beach Break ( hope to be able to do that on the ship) , I owuld love to do the drift snorkeling but even though we have snorkeled alot I am afraid of the strong current. Oh, I always booked a Helmut dive in Moorea. My husband doesn't want to do it but I do.

Hope to see you on the PG. Are you doing any pre-cruise? We fly in the day before and are staying at the Radison.

Hi fireflytx,

We are celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary! Can't wait for this cruise. Have you booked any excursions yet? I booked Marc's on Huahine and Damien on Bora Bora and the Snorkeling on Aituki but want to chance that to Lagoon and Beach Break ( hope to be able to do that on the ship) , I owuld love to do the drift snorkeling but even though we have snorkeled alot I am afraid of the strong current. Oh, I always booked a Helmut dive in Moorea. My husband doesn't want to do it but I do.

Hope to see you on the PG. Are you doing any pre-cruise? We fly in the day before and are staying at the Radison.

Hi... no we haven't booked anything yet... will probably do so once we get on board. We are flying in the night of the 29th and staying at the Intercontinental... I've ALWAYS wanted to stay in an overwater bungalow, so we are going to stay there 3 nights prior to the cruise ( our savings account took a HUGE hit for this trip ;) ) Congrats on your anniversary!! We love to dive, snorkel and hike ( I also love to shop and lay on the beach and do nothing!! ).. I have a couple of guide books that we are going to study on our flight.. since this is our first time in FP we are going to "wing it"... we are in cabin 809... maybe we can join you for a glass of champagne to celebrate!

Ricki Smith

Hi,

We are in Cabin 428 and would love to toast our Anniv. and your big "50". Would love to hear about your overwater bungalow. Really wanted to stay at an OWB too but it came down to that or spending time in Puerto Vallarta this winter, which we have done the past 12 winters, so that won out. Have to get away a little from our Missouri winters! Yes, I'll agree, the old bank account did take a hit for this trip. I basically planned the trip and my husband always says--" That sounds good"--Well, when the final bill was due I think he sat up and took notice!

Hope to see you soon. Have a safe flight.

Darlene

Hi,

We are in Cabin 428 and would love to toast our Anniv. and your big "50". Would love to hear about your overwater bungalow. Really wanted to stay at an OWB too but it came down to that or spending time in Puerto Vallarta this winter, which we have done the past 12 winters, so that won out. Have to get away a little from our Missouri winters! Yes, I'll agree, the old bank account did take a hit for this trip. I basically planned the trip and my husband always says--" That sounds good"--Well, when the final bill was due I think he sat up and took notice!

Hope to see you soon. Have a safe flight.

Darlene

Outstanding.. we plan on boarding around 3pm... please feel free to look us up... we'll be the couple with big grins and our feet floating off the ground :D

Ricki and Don Smith

This is a little off the subject of " attire for ladies" but I have a question about " attire for men". Are any of your husbands taking a sport jacket on the PG? At first my husband was going to take one and then I told him it would probalby be only for the captains dinner and then he decided not to take one for just one night. We are on the Sept. 1st sailing. What are your husbands doing???

Thanks,

Micked10

Thanks Wendy. I am sure that is just what he wanted to hear. I like to dress up but my DH says he wore a suit and tie to work for 42 years and hopes he never has to wear another one. It is a real effort to get him into a suit so if there really isn't a need for one I know he would rather leave it at home.

Thanks

Micked10

Thanks Wendy. I am sure that is just what he wanted to hear. I like to dress up but my DH says he wore a suit and tie to work for 42 years and hopes he never has to wear another one. It is a real effort to get him into a suit so if there really isn't a need for one I know he would rather leave it at home.

Thanks

Micked10

Darlene,

I'm not packing one for Don.... for him it's Tommy Bahama shirts and khaki's for the evenings....

Hi Fireflytx,

Ok, you have convinced me. Joe will be a happy camper--no sport coat! I haven't started packing yet since I am having 12 people to dinner tomorrow night for Joe's birthday on the 27th. I think I was crazy to decide to do this when everything else is going on.

We leave Sunday for St. Louis and then our flight to LA is Mon. We are spending a few days with our son in LA and then YEA--ON TO TAHITI ! I am so excited. Think I will get to the packing NOW.

See you soon.

Darlene

Archived