Best Seafood Restaurant in Galveston?

patticaryl

For our cruise next month with the Conquest, we would like a great seafood dinner the night before. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I like Joe's Crab Shack on Seawall Blvd. There are probably some better but I don't get down there much so I don't experiment. Any place in Galveston is better than what we have in Mtn. Home.:(

Sorry, but Joe's Crab Shack is just barely above Long John Silvers! I think the most popular place is Giados (sp?) It is on the seawall and has been there a long time. Others that live in Galveston can better answer this. If you could get to Kemah Boardwalk, there are several great places. There is also a Landry's in Galveston too that used to be good. Any one else have ideas?

I hear Fisherman's Wharf is really good, wish I could give you my opinion though, LOL. Also, Gaido's, landry's and of course Kemah Boardwalk....several restaurants, approx 20 min from Galveston and great place to spend an afternoon or evening. Let us know what you chose and how it was..Happy and safe sailing!!

Sorry, but Joe's Crab Shack is just barely above Long John Silvers! I think the most popular place is Giados (sp?) It is on the seawall and has been there a long time. Others that live in Galveston can better answer this. If you could get to Kemah Boardwalk, there are several great places. There is also a Landry's in Galveston too that used to be good. Any one else have ideas?

I'll have to try one of these Karen. Long John's and Captain D's is all that we have here.:o Compared to them Joe's is 5 star. :D Sorry, but that is the pitiful truth.

In my DW & my opinion Fisherman's Wharf is the best seafood close to the terminal but The Saltwater Grill on Post Office St. across the street from the Grand Theater is only a few blocks away. You can find more info at this link. http://www.galveston.com/cuisine/cuisine_submit.asp?chkSeafood=Seafood&txtSearch=&butSearch2.x=21&butSearch2.y=8

The fact is that there are at least a hundred seafood restaurants in Galveston & Harris County and everyone has their favorite. Some of ours are the two listed above plus (Papadeaux's - Seabrook, TX), (Papas Seafood - I-45 S. @ Bay Area Blvd.), (Giado's - Galveston), (Sundance Grill - Seabrook, TX), (Top Water Grill - San Leon, TX), (Flying Dutchman - Kemah, TX), (Floyd's - I-45 S. @ Nasa Rd.1), (T-Bone Tom's - Kemah,TX), (Clifton By The Sea - Bay Cliff, TX) and I'm sure other locals can add a few more. All of these are within a 30 minute drive of Galveston.

If I had to choose my favorite and and factor in price it would be Floyd's on I-45 S. @ Nasa Rd 1. Floyd Landry is the Cajun owner and I believe he was part of the original Landry's before they became the big corporate restaurant chain run by Tillman Fertitta. He currently has two Floyd's restaurants and is not part of Landry's Corp.. I don't know the whole story but after you eat at Floyd's you can understand where the huge restaurant chain got it's start. Warning - Floyd is an authentic Cajun and some dishes can be spicy.

I think that hands down Gaido's is the best seafood. It's not a chain restaurant like all the others...although Landry's is pretty good! It's on Seawall Blvd. in Galveston. They have a wonderful shrimp bisque. Gaido's is kind of an island institution as they've been in business for 50+ years. :)

Thanks everyone for your responses! Specifically, do any of you know which place would have exceptional fried shrimp? That's my husband's favorite. Huge, meaty shrimp in a mouth-watering, crispy batter!!! Yummm.....

I actually prefer the shrimp at Fisherman's Wharf - Mama Rosie's Fried Shrimp are the best! Also, for an appetizer, get the Shrimp Kisses - shrimp with cheese and jalapeno wrapped in bacon then grilled!

Now you have done it. I drooled on my keyboard.

Another vote for Casey's. Huge portions and your choice of deep fried or grilled seafood. I had a combination plate and it was way more than I could eat. The scallops, shrimp and fish of the day were really great! The price was very reasonable as well, and we enjoyed the nice casual atmosphere.

P.S. clackey, we love the Mountain Home area. We were considering it for retirement, but we think we are leaning toward staying near our daughters and they plan to stay out west. Lucky you with the gorgeous fall colors, clean lakes, the White River fishing and Branson just down the road a piece. Very nice people in Arkansas, and many areas cannot claim this distinction.

Hey Arby, Come on down. I'll sell you my house. If you don't want it I've got a nice lot close to Walmart.;)

As for living close to the kids, it is way over rated. I thought that the whole idea was to get them out of the house, move and leave no forwarding address.:D We moved 4 times and they found us anyway.

Guido's 39th & Seawall, they'll have that huge shrimp platter you are looking for. Sorry to say it's in the third generation of family and the quality has slipped somewhat. It used to be renowned for food and service where a waiter would take an order for ten and never write down a thing. I belonged to the private Pelican Club in back for many years, where the locals can get a table on weekends.:)

Casey's has great salads BTW. Two extras Gaido's does well, chunky Blue Cheese dressing, and Au Gratin potatoes. Their Angels on Horseback, oysters wrapped in bacon are a good choice.

Willie Gs is the best of the Landry chain it's their high-end sea food, well done, but expensive. Salt Water Grill is also in that class.

Fisherman's Wharf is right at the cruise terminals (22nd & Wharf) and has a great view of the Elissa 1870s tall ship.

In spite of really mediocre food, Joe's Crabshack 19th & Wharf has the best view in Galveston as the Mosquito fleet of shrimp boats docks there, tons of birds feeding as they clean the catch. If you have kids, it can keep their attention.

Clackey - I do miss Arkansas! I grew up in Little Rock and my DH in No. Little Rock. We went to school in Fayetteville at UA. I've been to Mountain Home a few times! There are no fall colors down here in Southeast Texas. :(

I did some time at the U of A, but it was a long time ago (69, 70). Right after Bill Clinton and you know that he is older than dirt.;) Fayetteville is where I got my football knee. I went to a Razorback game, got drunk and fell down the bleachers.:o

Guido's 39th & Seawall, they'll have that huge shrimp platter you are looking for. Sorry to say it's in the third generation of family and the quality has slipped somewhat. It used to be renowned for food and service where a waiter would take an order for ten and never write down a thing. I belonged to the private Pelican Club in back for many years, where the locals can get a table on weekends.:)

Casey's has great salads BTW. Two extras Gaido's does well, chunky Blue Cheese dressing, and Au Gratin potatoes. Their Angels on Horseback, oysters wrapped in bacon are a good choice.

Willie Gs is the best of the Landry chain it's their high-end sea food, well done, but expensive. Salt Water Grill is also in that class.

Fisherman's Wharf is right at the cruise terminals (22nd & Wharf) and has a great view of the Elissa 1870s tall ship.

In spite of really mediocre food, Joe's Crabshack 19th & Wharf has the best view in Galveston as the Mosquito fleet of shrimp boats docks there, tons of birds feeding as they clean the catch. If you have kids, it can keep their attention.

Thanks for great information! Our trip is getting REALLY close now. You were really sweet (all of you) to take the time to list the choices I have to find some great seafood! Thanks again!

Archived