Incompatible Table Mates

This will only be my third cruise. First was with DH, second with Mom, the next one with DH.

As a previous poster said, much as I love him, I need other people, too. We're quite beyond the "I can't see anything but you" stage and we have plenty of Just Us time at home and on vacations. Plus, I've learned over the years that he will stare into space rather than speak during a meal. It's best that I not fall asleep into my salad. No way will I ever request a table for 2.

I wouldn't hesitate to request a change, if needed, but I've not had any problems. The cruise with Mom was on Princess and we did Anytime Dining, which was fun as we met new people at every meal.

I like a large table, as I eat pretty slowly and I can hope others get slowed down by talking a lot so it's not so obvious I'm a slowpoke! Plus, everyone did something different that day, has different life experience, hails from a different region, etc.

Fear not, seniors, I'd love to sit with you!! I actually find people well older than me to be much more fun than those well younger than me. I'm not great with kids, and while I can be very tolerant of those just learning the rules to civilized behavior, I'm much better with those that are 'set in their ways' with strong opinions formed thru experience. I may not agree with their opinions, but I'm open to enlightenment should it present itself.

Mom and I had a blast at formal night with one set of very old friends (Archie and Wolfgang!!) and another couple somewhere between my age and Mom's. Archie took a shine to Mom and she loved his stories. That night was a highlight. There were 2 sisters we met and dined with on 3 different occasions. We really enjoyed their company and it was nice to not be the only one ordering multiple desserts!!

To each his own. If you request a table change cuz you can't stand us, that's fine - I don't expect everyone to like me. You don't owe me a thing!

I know what you are saying. :) But....people with food allergies are supposed to meet with the head Maitre`di when they board to sort these things out. No, it's not low class to be diabetic or have allergies. But it can be disruptive if everyone at the table must wait on someone to figure out what they can and can't eat. I'd put up with it. But really no one should have to if people with personal problems plan ahead appropriately.

Personally, I've seen people who love to get attention through their health issues. Having been a nurse, I actually enjoy watching them in action. Tell me all your health issues at the dining table, real or imagined...I'll listen. :)

mommabean are you kidding? Do you work in mental health? I like to get away from that kind of thing when I'm on vacation! :D But seriously, I can't imagine leaving something like that to chance if you have a serious allergy. What do people do when they dine out when not on vacation?

We had that problem on Serenade in April 06. We always ask for a large table as we like to visit and get to meet others. However, they seated us (age 50 and 63) at a table in the corner, with a mom/dad and 4 teenage girls!! For sure, not for us. I want more intelligent conversation than who threw who in the pool that day. No offense, I love kids, but don't want to spend my cruise with them.

We suffered through dinner that night and as soon as we walked out of the dining room, we asked to be changed and the rest of the week we were at a very nice table with 4 other couples and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

And yes, we did see the mom/dad a couple of times during the week, but did not talk to them and did not bother us a bit. We want to enjoy our dinners and we always have. This was the very first time we have asked to be moved.

Was on Serenade Nov. 06 LUUVVVED our tablemates........we had the best time, so much so that we spent that last evening at the late show together and hugged each other that last night. there were 6 of us -- it was great, we swapped e-mail addresses -- we were on such a high that we booked another in March of 07 and we sat at a table of 10 -- It was almost like listening to crickets the first 3-4 nights. Conversation was strained and we did not have nearly as much fun with the table. Thankfully, next cruise there are a group of us so we can all sit together, yet we might get on each others nerves as well

I always have a table for my family only and no strangers.

On one cruise when we boarded we checked out the dining room and noticed our table would have one other couple with us so we quickly changed tables so we can have our own private table.

We had tablemates that totally ignored my family when they came in and sat down. No eye contact whatsoever. They acted as if they were seated at a table for 4, not 8. We kept bumping into each other and it was okay by the end of the cruise. Just okay. That was our first family cruise.

Rocknsoul, neat to see someone from close to home on here. We're from Arlington, TN and my name is Lisa, too. What a small, small world.

Hi Lisa! It is a small world. We're in Cordova. I've bumped into a few folks from Memphis over at the Carnival boards.

Happy cruising!

mommabean are you kidding? Do you work in mental health? I like to get away from that kind of thing when I'm on vacation! :D But seriously, I can't imagine leaving something like that to chance if you have a serious allergy. What do people do when they dine out when not on vacation?

I haven't worked in a long, long time. But I actually DID work in psych nursing at one point - a pediatric mental hospital :D.

RCI DOES have an allergy dept that works these issues out. They need a minimum of 45 days notice and they send a return email letting the person know that they allergy help request has been received and will be taken care of. It includes information on who to see in the dining room upon boarding.

On my last cruise one of our CC friends had a serious allergy issue taken care of right away. She said the dining room crew was WONDERFUL and very concerned and conscientious in their preparations for her needs.

I guess some people don't eat out or they eat where they know they can get what they want without worries of cheating on the food prep in the kitchen.

I know what you are saying. :) But....people with food allergies are supposed to meet with the head Maitre`di when they board to sort these things out. No, it's not low class to be diabetic or have allergies. But it can be disruptive if everyone at the table must wait on someone to figure out what they can and can't eat. I'd put up with it. But really no one should have to if people with personal problems plan ahead appropriately.

Personally, I've seen people who love to get attention through their health issues. Having been a nurse, I actually enjoy watching them in action. Tell me all your health issues at the dining table, real or imagined...I'll listen. :)

I do not bregrudge the folks who asked to be moved. They paid hard earned money for their trip too. I do bregrudge RCCL for dropping the ball and not picking it up.

Will I bash the cruise line? NO.

Will I blow up and spout off about never cruising this line again? No.

Did I send Richard Fain a letter bashing the system? No.

Will I refuse to roll with it and request only tables for 4? No.

Doe's this sound like someone looking for attention to you? I was simply replying to the thread about what happened to us and how it was handled. On a positive note, we dined in Portofino one night, and I told the person on the phone ahead of time and they greeted us aware of our situation, and were very accomodating.

I do not bregrudge the folks who asked to be moved. They paid hard earned money for their trip too. I do bregrudge RCCL for dropping the ball and not picking it up.

Will I bash the cruise line? NO.

Will I blow up and spout off about never cruising this line again? No.

Did I send Richard Fain a letter bashing the system? No.

Will I refuse to roll with it and request only tables for 4? No.

Doe's this sound like someone looking for attention to you? I was simply replying to the thread about what happened to us and how it was handled. On a positive note, we dined in Portofino one night, and I told the person on the phone ahead of time and they greeted us aware of our situation, and were very accomodating.

Did I say you specifically were looking for attention? :confused: I was using the words "people" and "your" in my last paragraph in general terms not directed at you. Sorry if you misunderstood.

I ANYone wants to tell me their health problems, real or imagined, I WILL be glad to hear it. I thought I was making it clear that I love it. :D

I will add that had I contacted RCI about an allergy issue 45 days or more in advance and they never addressed the issue or helped me with it, I WOULD contact someone and let them know my displeasure. Why would anyone let that slide? :confused:

Gina

On our voyager cruise a few years back DH and I were traveling with my 16 yr old DD, her friend and my parents. We were seated with 2 very nice Irish ladies in their mid 50's traveling together on "holiday". I have to say that I felt a little sorry for them having to sit with us. We tried to include them as much as possible in conversations but it is really hard when there are 6 family members and only 2 others. There were times when it was hard to direct the conversation away from "family" especially with two teenage girls who wanted to talk about all the "cute" guys they had seen/met and as parents you want to listen (ok you don't really want to listen but you do have to seem interested or they won't talk to you about anything). We did learn alot about Ireland and would love sitting with these 2 ladies under different circumstances.

I had the same experience on my first cruise; myself and 3 girlfriends, plus a married couple around our age. It was hard trying to keep the conversation going all night; we would try, and then silence. But we missed a night or two due to excursions, and they went to Portofinos, so i think they may have been as uncomfortable with us, as we were them. They were nice, but the situation was a bit awkward..

I also have no issues with seniors; We had a LOVELY couple at our table, they were so nice, and I would see them all over the ship as well...just a delight to have as dinner companions. The others were fun as well; this cruise was just me and a friend, at a table for 8, and we all got along pretty well, and had a good time every night.

We just came back from the Jewel. We originally were to be seated with two other couples, but only two showed up. The other couple were very nice and we actually had alot of fun with them. The awkward part was if we wanted to go to Chops, then they would have to dine by themselves. It turned out to be my husband's b-day, so I thought it would be nice to ask them to join us, since they had mentioned that they wanted to eat at Chops. The b-day celeb. was great and I paid their $40 and shared our wine. During the cruise they made friends with another couple and on the very last night they left a message that their friends had invited them to Chops and they left us alone. We're not married to them, but when you are in that situation, it would have been considerate to either dine another evening or being it was the last evening to just ask if the friends could dine with all of us in Tides. I thought it was very inconsiderate.

Why don't you wait a few days and go back and read this statement again. It's ridiculous and you should be ashamed to make such a statement.

I believe that statement was sarcastic, hence the rolling eyes at the end of it.

We are usually very lucky with our tablemates. We usually ask for a large table and there's always somebody who appreciates us and vice versa. RCI does have some information about passengers, even if it's only your age and cabin accomodation. I just don't want to be put with only our age bracket or only people in a certain level of cabin - I like to mix it up a bit!

I believe that statement was sarcastic, hence the rolling eyes at the end of it.

We are usually very lucky with our tablemates. We usually ask for a large table and there's always somebody who appreciates us and vice versa. RCI does have some information about passengers, even if it's only your age and cabin accomodation. I just don't want to be put with only our age bracket or only people in a certain level of cabin - I like to mix it up a bit!

I'm with you. I always expect my table mates to be very different from us, and so far they have been. It has always been an interesting surprise and we've enjoyed them all.

Oh my gosh, yes. On our last cruise, March of 07, Celebrity. We went without our kids and were looking forward to a large table full of laughter, fun, and pleasant conversation. Wow. We were informed by one couple our first night together (of 10) that we were to sit in those seats each night. That we were to attend each night. That we were to do things with them in port...instant friends, I think not. One couple came to dinner drunk and mean spirited, loud, and abraisive. The third couple just wanted to keep the peace. My husband and I were perplexed as to what to do. One night we just ate in our room. The next night we went to casual dining. The next, we went to the maitre-d. We got a table for two, same wait servers. Another couple were coerced into joining our previous table once they realized we were not coming back. The new couple stayed one night and never returned either. What a shame. We cruise again in a few weeks, and have requested a table for two. To reflect on it now we shouldn't have wasted a couple days thinking about it. Don't sweat the small stuff. I say change tables immediately.

All of the above, dear CC'ers, is why 10 years ago my DH and I started requesting a table for 2 on every cruise. We had 24 years of "all of the above", and enough was enough.

The final straw was our cruise on NCL in 1997. We heard the news on our way to the airport that Princess Diana had died. Our table was a disaster, and one woman being very rude to me. She was from Kentucky, and I innocently asked her if it was true that my friend said Louisville should be pronounced a certain way. She said my friend must be a "hill cracker".....:eek:

So, off to the casual dining every night. But, they had CNN blaring 24 hours a day, because of Princess Di, and then Mother Teresa died that next week, too, didn't she? One sad cruise.

Absolutely, head for the maitre 'd right after the first incident and ask for another table.

We had that problem on Serenade in April 06. We always ask for a large table as we like to visit and get to meet others. However, they seated us (age 50 and 63) at a table in the corner, with a mom/dad and 4 teenage girls!! For sure, not for us. I want more intelligent conversation than who threw who in the pool that day. No offense, I love kids, but don't want to spend my cruise with them.

We suffered through dinner that night and as soon as we walked out of the dining room, we asked to be changed and the rest of the week we were at a very nice table with 4 other couples and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

And yes, we did see the mom/dad a couple of times during the week, but did not talk to them and did not bother us a bit. We want to enjoy our dinners and we always have. This was the very first time we have asked to be moved.

This is what I have always feared -- being seated with kids. So far, we have had wonderful table mates, all adults, roughly our age -- 50 'ish. I thought the ship tries to match ages up.

On our first cruise with my family of four (children 19 & 21), we were at a table for 8. We were suprised to find that one of the other couples was from a city near us. On our last cruise with just DH and I, we were at a table for 10. There was a family from Austria that spoke little english. One of the other couple was celebrating their 50th anniversary, and the other couple were newlyweds - after each one losing their spouses after 50 years of marriage. It "worked" but our first cruise was more enjoyable.

This is what I have always feared -- being seated with kids. So far, we have had wonderful table mates, all adults, roughly our age -- 50 'ish. I thought the ship tries to match ages up.

Funny thing. My kids have always had a fear of being seated with people in their 50's.:D It gets old, watching a "mature" couple walk up to a table, see kids, and flee as if the table is filled with leeches. Flame me if you want, but, to walk up and judge somebody to be not worty of your company because they have kids is segregational, inconsiderate, and rude. Not all kids are monsters, and aparently not all adults are mature.

RCI does have some information about passengers, even if it's only your age and cabin accomodation. I just don't want to be put with only our age bracket or only people in a certain level of cabin - I like to mix it up a bit!

Actually they consider a lot more than that. They take into account whether you're married or single, sailing with or without children, and you actually give them your occupation, income bracket.

We're empty nesters so we eat along together all the time, so I like the opportunity to meet and have dinner with other people. It would be our worst nightmare to have a table for 4 and clash with the other couple. We've always asked for a large table because we have a better chance that way of having at least someone with whom we can get along. On our first cruise, however, we were seated at a table for 8 and the other 6 were friends sailing together. We thought most of them were a little pretentious and really only cared for one of them, but it wasn't horrible. We did learn later that we could have asked to be moved and certainly will in the future.

Archived