Incompatible Table Mates

I think my husband and I ARE the obnoxious tablemates. We both like meeting new people so we make an effort to draw folks out. DH, in particular, talks up a storm. Some people like it; others don't. On our last cruise, we were at a table for 6. One couple was from Canada and the other was from Tennessee, I think. The Canadian wife was very social and we had no problems talking to her. The Canadian husband didn't talk much until the end of the cruise...it probably helped that I shared my bottles of wine with him. However, I think the couple from Tennessee was horrified to have strangers talking to them. The Tennessee wife looked at me like I'd grown a second head every time I spoke to her and answered in one-word sentences (think "yes," "no," "fine"). Actually, she didn't speak to her husband, either. They only showed up for the two formal nights...so I guess we weren't bad enough to chase them from the table.

I like meeting new people, too, but I have run into some people who just talk waaaaay too much. Unfortunately, there is not much of a polite way to say, "Would you just shut up already?" :D I don't know if you fall in that group or not, though. You might be a happy-medium type and have just been seated with some people who prefer a quieter dinner.

Although we haven't had this problem before, a couple at our table(for 8) did on our cruise last month. The first night, they were seated at a table for 2 with another couple, who pratically ignored this couple. They asked to be moved. The funny thing that happened is that the "rude" couple requested the same. Both couples ended up at our table. :eek: Everything worked out because there was a couple in between those 2 couples, and the two couples weren't forced to interact.:)

This is hilariouos!

On a recent 14 day cruise, we were seated at a table for four with another couple with whom we clashed on nearly every issue. The problem may not have been as severe at a table for 8...where you had other people to speak with, but with only one other couple...there was no option. And who knows, they may have been experiencing the same problem. We debated asking for another table (and risk offending the other couple) or eating at the Windjammer.

We elected to eat at the Windjammer most evenings, but agreed that should this ever occur again, we would bite the bullet and ask to be reassigned.

Has anyone ever faced this problem and how was it handled? Was it awkward when you ran into them around the ship?

HI JACK!!!

You could have easily requested another table and then when you went to dinner you could have gone over to your old table to just say hello and tell them that you ran into some other friends who asked you to sit with them. That way you could enjoy your cruise without having to hide out in the Windjammer (not a bad place to hide out either...lol.). Never be afraid to request anything that will make you comfortable and never be afraid to offer your apologies to those you are leaving behind...even if you cannot stand them...LOL!!!:D

On our voyager cruise a few years back DH and I were traveling with my 16 yr old DD, her friend and my parents. We were seated with 2 very nice Irish ladies in their mid 50's traveling together on "holiday". I have to say that I felt a little sorry for them having to sit with us. We tried to include them as much as possible in conversations but it is really hard when there are 6 family members and only 2 others. There were times when it was hard to direct the conversation away from "family" especially with two teenage girls who wanted to talk about all the "cute" guys they had seen/met and as parents you want to listen (ok you don't really want to listen but you do have to seem interested or they won't talk to you about anything). We did learn alot about Ireland and would love sitting with these 2 ladies under different circumstances.

we got everyone beat, on our honeymoon we were at a table for 5 and there were 7 people at our table...family of 3, mother and daughter were diabetics and the mother was sickly, and the father drank Budwiser out of the can every night! The older couple sitting with us both had food alergies. Needless to say it took a very very very long time for them to order their food the first night!!!!! Can you say OH MY GOD!! Get some class people if your going into public in a formal dining room for dinner!! I guess we don't have to tell you we didn't eat in the dining room much that cruise!

Class.... hugh, before we learned to do a two table, we had an elder lady who brought her grandson. Her table manners to the say the least were bad, but the night she put her hands through the salad looking for pepper, that was it for us. I thought wow that poor grandson. Here he is being exposed to an experience of crusing, and then he learns from his grandmother to pick through salad with your hands.. Yikes. I had my my mother with me, and she looked at me and I her, like we didn't see what we were seeing.

we got everyone beat, on our honeymoon we were at a table for 5 and there were 7 people at our table...family of 3, mother and daughter were diabetics and the mother was sickly, and the father drank Budwiser out of the can every night! The older couple sitting with us both had food alergies. Needless to say it took a very very very long time for them to order their food the first night!!!!! Can you say OH MY GOD!! Get some class people if your going into public in a formal dining room for dinner!! I guess we don't have to tell you we didn't eat in the dining room much that cruise!

Yes, there's nothing more low-class than diabetes and food allergies. :rolleyes:

Closest we ever had to "problem" tablemates was the summer before my DD entered third grade. Somhow we ended up at a table with six other couples - two couples traveling together where both wives were second grade teachers, and the other couple was a retired elementary school principal and his wife a retired third grade teacher. The teachers were not at ALL "upset" having a kid at their table (even though it was their first week out of school for the year!) -- but DD, who normally is rather quiet and is used to answering the one or two polite questions put to her by MOST adults, really was uncomfortable by all of the attention :). She said she didn't find it very relaxing to eat when they all expected her to talk! She only ate her kid's menu entree and then sped off to Adventure Ocean, but has inquired discreetly with the matre'd on every cruise since whether there were any teachers on her table!

Seriously though, we've been fortunate - some tablemates were more interesting than others (and I'm sure the same can be said of us!).

On our last cruise, we met two couples that knew each other in the CL. They had empty seats at the table in the lounge, and I asked if we may sit down. After that, we looked for each other in the lounge,and had cocktails. At that time, we discussed dinner and plans, (they already had a four table) and we had our two. So on the nights we went alternative, we joined them. This was nice, as we now meet two couples (whom I still keep in touch with), we enjoyed each other's company, and DH and I were not always eating by ourselves. That was a good way to do it. (impromptu, but great IMO)

we have had some wonderful tables and made friends for life and others where we have moved after 2 days.

On one cruise we moved tables to be seated with 4 other couples who had problems and had asked to be reassigned and we had a fantastic time.

nothing like putting all the trouble makers in one basket!

On a recent 14 day cruise, we were seated at a table for four with another couple with whom we clashed on nearly every issue. The problem may not have been as severe at a table for 8...where you had other people to speak with, but with only one other couple...there was no option. And who knows, they may have been experiencing the same problem. We debated asking for another table (and risk offending the other couple) or eating at the Windjammer.

We elected to eat at the Windjammer most evenings, but agreed that should this ever occur again, we would bite the bullet and ask to be reassigned.

Has anyone ever faced this problem and how was it handled? Was it awkward when you ran into them around the ship?

I would have asked for another table. Why make yourself miserable the entire cruise. On one of our cruises, we were seated at a table of 8 (6 of them were one family celebrating their parents 50th anniversary). Although they were very nice, I felt we didn't belong at that table and told the head waiter. He found us another table, but I waited 3 days before I asked. I think the cruise lines need to have more tables for 2.

We had this happen to us on our second cruise. But also, my husband is handicapped and uses a scooter for mobility and our table was smack in the middle and absolutely no way to get the scooter in there. Because we weren't sure what to do, we ate at the Windjammer the rest of the cruise, but next time I will not hesitate to ask for a change. We did run into the couple later but simply told them about the scooter problem and hopefully didn't hurt their feelings. They were nice enough to us, but both very obnoxious and know-it-all types and just not our preference. Actually, though the Windjammer experience turned out great because we became great friends with our waiter and after all these years still communicate via email, sending family pix, etc. But I love the Dining Room experience and will not miss it again.

We've only had to change once. It was right after 9/11 and everything was a mess. People were cancelling and they were filling cabins at giveaway rates. It was on the Adventure of the Seas. We found ourselves seated with 3 very nice, but Spanish speaking people and 3 hot single girls looking for action. One of the girls was so rude she complained to us she didn't expect to be seated with "old" people and people who couldn't speak English. We changed table and ended up with a great couple who were on their honeymoon and didn't mind "old" at all. We also had at our table the 2 women who were decorating the ship for Christmas and were lots of fun.

We've only had to change once. It was right after 9/11 and everything was a mess. People were cancelling and they were filling cabins at giveaway rates. It was on the Adventure of the Seas. We found ourselves seated with 3 very nice, but Spanish speaking people and 3 hot single girls looking for action. One of the girls was so rude she complained to us she didn't expect to be seated with "old" people and people who couldn't speak English. We changed table and ended up with a great couple who were on their honeymoon and didn't mind "old" at all. We also had at our table the 2 women who were decorating the ship for Christmas and were lots of fun.

I'm sure there are a few who wouldn't mind being at that table. ;)

On cruises of 10 or more days (usually 14-18 TA's) we go for a table of eight. On shorter cruises we get a table for two if possible. We certainly can't really get to know people in three-four-five-seven days.

Yes, there's nothing more low-class than diabetes and food allergies. :rolleyes:

I know what you are saying. :) But....people with food allergies are supposed to meet with the head Maitre`di when they board to sort these things out. No, it's not low class to be diabetic or have allergies. But it can be disruptive if everyone at the table must wait on someone to figure out what they can and can't eat. I'd put up with it. But really no one should have to if people with personal problems plan ahead appropriately.

Personally, I've seen people who love to get attention through their health issues. Having been a nurse, I actually enjoy watching them in action. Tell me all your health issues at the dining table, real or imagined...I'll listen. :)

So here is the best argument for any time dining that becoming more and more popular. Eat by yourself, eat at a larger table, eat in the buffet. You never get to eat with the same people. or if you make friends, then arrange to eat togrther again!

For those complaining about those with food alergies slowing down food service, I can agree. Heres how it went for us on our 8-3-07 sailing on the Explorer.

My wife has severe peanut alergies, as in they will kill her.

We notified the cruise line, as we have done in the past.

Maitre'd was unwilling to help, saying he never recieved proper notification from Miami. His solution was to provide my wife with a menu so she could see what was peanut free for the next night. We inquired about having dishes made seperately, as we have on other ships, and he said it was not possible.

When others at our table asked to be moved ( I couldn't blame them) they were replaced by other "special food" guests.

It sucks that your just getting your entrees when others have finished and are leaving. Since nothing was specially prepared, nobody could tell us why our food was always slower than everyone elses.

On our first (10th Anniversary) cruise, we were at a large table with a group from a retirement community in Central Florida. We were a little nervous the first night, because they all knew each other...but they sort of adopted us, and we had a great time. They even showed us the ropes of cruising, and on CocoCay we played volleyball on the same team. After the cruise, we emailed & sent pictures to each other. It was great!

Our second cruise was a reward for meeting business incentives, so we were required to dine with the others who had met the incentive (since the company paid for the cruise, how could we refuse?). This was worse in some ways than being seated with arbitrary strangers, because although most of the conversations were perfectly pleasant, we didn't have the option of changing tables if they weren't...and some of them weren't!

For those complaining about those with food alergies slowing down food service, I can agree. Heres how it went for us on our 8-3-07 sailing on the Explorer.

My wife has severe peanut alergies, as in they will kill her.

We notified the cruise line, as we have done in the past.

Maitre'd was unwilling to help, saying he never recieved proper notification from Miami. His solution was to provide my wife with a menu so she could see what was peanut free for the next night. We inquired about having dishes made seperately, as we have on other ships, and he said it was not possible.

When others at our table asked to be moved ( I couldn't blame them) they were replaced by other "special food" guests.

It sucks that your just getting your entrees when others have finished and are leaving. Since nothing was specially prepared, nobody could tell us why our food was always slower than everyone elses.

Vator90, There are all kinds of reasons to be annoyed with tablemates but a servere allergy isn't one of them. I don't recall the menu being clear on what was prepared with peanut products. You should have gone over the Maitre'd and gotten the cooperation that you deserved for such a serious matter. ps, I would not have changed tables on you, I would have stayed to try to help to make your situation easier. :)

Our last two cruises we have had good luck with table mates. Generally we ask and get two seaters but on our Infinity Alaska cruise we were seated with a very nice couple from India, and it turned out to be very informative and fun. Then our last Monarch cruise we were at a table for six, and the entire week we had the table to ourselves.

Vator90, There are all kinds of reasons to be annoyed with tablemates but a servere allergy isn't one of them. I don't recall the menu being clear on what was prepared with peanut products. You should have gone over the Maitre'd and gotten the cooperation that you deserved for such a serious matter. ps, I would not have changed tables on you, I would have stayed to try to help to make your situation easier. :)

Ditto - that's just crazy. If anything, I would gotten really irritated on your behalf. It's completely unacceptable that they would not accodomodate what should be a simple request for any kitchen. Where would the Maitre D' have been if your wife had had some kind of reaction?

The woman from NJ, according to my wife, spent the entire trip making goo-goo eyes at me, even in the presence of DW. Women notice these things. I, being a typical horndog male, loved every minute of it. She bumped into me at the pool on the last sea day when DW was elsewhere; carefully bending over to show all her assets she handed over a paper with her tel # and said to give her a call sometimes. At that point I realized that DW wasn't paranoid and that she really was after me. Great for the male ego !!!!.

That's funny. But it does reinforce my desire for a private table. My DH would just eat up (no pun intended) all the attention.

We had a private table for 4 on our most recent cruise and loved it. We have young kids, so it works better for us, instead of having to constantly shush our kids, so as to not offend anyone else.

On our very 1st cruise, we were seated with a couple with a young daughter and mom was expecting again. Maybe is was the hormones, but she was a real witch. Any time her husband tried to speak to us, she gave him "the look". He would shut up quickly. I guess that showed us which one wore the pants in that family. Also, she would sit there telling her poor daughter how fat she was getting and then order her ice cream every night.

We didn't know then that we were allowed to change tables, or we certainly would have. On our other 2 cruises, we've had great table mates. They all had kids about our kids' ages, so it worked out OK. But, after getting the private table, we'll do so from now on.

The only exception to that will be my cruise in January 2009. My best girlfriend and I are going on a cruise (no kids or husbands). It will be her 1st ever, so she wants to get the complete cruise experience.

Archived