considering PG would love insight

time2play

My hubby and I are considering the PG to celebrate our 20th anniversary.

We have been on other cruises and the one thing we didn't like are the crowds. We heard that this cruise is quite intimate and not a lot of kids if you go other than summer.

Are the balcony cabins worth the extra money, if so, would you upgrade to the veranda cabin?

We are debating between a 7 days cruise - then some time at hotels, or would you go for the 14 day cruise?

thanks in advance for your thoughts!

We were on the Aug 2 PG cruise. Just a few honeymooners as far as I could tell. Age range was all over the place. Lots of (well behaved) teenagers. A couple of kids that were 9-10 yrs old. Otherwise mostly adults. Several family groups which included the honeymoon couple. I didn't think it was a particularly newlywed cruise--most adults had been married a really long time. In the marriage vows renewal ceremony, one couple had been married 65 yrs. My husband and I were kind of in the middle at 26 years. We did not have a balcony cabin--I gave my husband and 16 yr old son the option of getting 2 cabins without balcony or 1 cabin with balcony. They both (for different reasons obviously) chose with 2 cabin option. We were very pleased with our suites, and if I wanted to be outside, I just went upstairs to one of the decks--not a problem and they were never crowded.

As far as 7 vs 14 days, we did the 7 with one night before and one night after at a hotel. But if I could, I would love the 14--just can't take that much time off work right now. One good thing about the 7 night is that you are at Bora Bora and Moorea 2 days each. We got the lay of the land the first day, and kind of did our own thing the 2nd.

My son had a great time. He took the scuba diving classes and went diving a couple of times, once with his dad who has dived for years. On the Motu day, he and I went kayaking, and he and his dad snorkled. He didn't really find any other kids to hang around with in the evenings on this cruise as he had on the Nice-Dover cruise, probably because there are no sea days, and everyone was off doing activities all day. But he seemed to have a great time and was really sad to leave (as we all were).

Thank you Rachel. Since we will be going end of May beginning of June I am hoping there might be a few other teens. He is good at amusing himself with books, so if there arent any others his age he'll "survive". He likes history & science too, so he'll enjoy any of the naturalists/lecturers they have on board too.

Perfect for a 20th anniversary, that's where we spent ours! We did the 7-day itinerary, with a 3-day pre-cruise to Manihi. If you do the 7-day, try to have some pre-cruise time, both to give you more time on the islands, and to unwind first.

I think the 7-day itinerary is perfect for the PG. Very island-intensive, no sea days. I've also done a back-to-back on this itinerary, so the second trip you get to do the stuff you missed first time around.

That being said, we hope to do the 14-day Marquesas itinerary next year. It has 3 sea days, which may be a bit much without a balcony, we'll see. But we've done the 7-days Societies itinerary now 4 times, and we really want to see the Marquesas.

As for the rooms, the C balcony rooms are the same size as the window rooms, with the addition of the balcony of course. We have never sprung for a balcony, so I can't comment, except to say that you spend so much time outdoors, and so much time on deck, that not having a balcony rarely seems to matter, and I'd rather save my money for another cruise!

We've spent a total of five weeks on the PG in the past five years. Some with a regular "window room" and some with a regular balcony room. The balconies are not as large as on many ships (unless one does some serious upgrading to one of the true suites). We found the balcony barely usable as such, but a nice way to get a broader view and let in some fresh air. Should we ever go again (probably will) we will "make do" with a window room. and perhaps take one of the longer cruises.

We may be alone in this opinion, but we are not very impressed by the value offered by land accomodations in Polynesia. Prices seem very high to us, and the food and service seem only fair. So as opposed to a land stay, we always opt for a longer cruise or a back-to-back on the PG. To us, it not only seems better -- it seems cheaper.

Thank you Rachel. Since we will be going end of May beginning of June I am hoping there might be a few other teens. He is good at amusing himself with books, so if there arent any others his age he'll "survive". He likes history & science too, so he'll enjoy any of the naturalists/lecturers they have on board too.

We were on the May 19th Tahiti to Fiji cruise and there were only two children that I recall. One was a small baby and the other a girl about 11 or 12. My sister who teaches middle school on the east coast doesn't get out of school until later in June. (IIRC.)

We are planning on the June 25 next year 10 day and I hope to fill out a couple of days at the IC. We stayed their overnight before the cruise and really liked it.

But food is very expensive and Papeete is a crowded, busy city. I don't know if that is what you expect or not. You could always spend a few days on Bora Bora but that was too costly for us when we looked at it.

No matter what you do you will have a great time on the cruise. I loved FP and I loved the PG.

Caroline

We've been on the PG twice, initially for the 7-day, and last summer -- for our 20th anniversary! -- on an 11-day Marquesas cruise. The first trip, we stayed for several days post-cruise, and even with a lovely overwater bungalow, we found it a let-down after the PG. We loved the longer trip last year; no let-down, and the days at sea were relaxing and enjoyable. We have no prblem killing a day sitting on deck, reading, taking a dip in the pool, having a few drinks, going to a lecture or galley tour or cooking demonstration, but mostly just relaxing between meals. If you and your husband like activity all the time, the 7-day gives you a new port every day, and the hotel after would give you opportunities to do more activities; we preferred the longer cruise and the sea days onboard.

Our trip was in the summer, and there weren't many kids on this cruise; those who were aboard were well-behaved and were a non-issue for us. And there are no crowds anywhere... ever... in the PG experience!

We did have a balcony cabin, but we found we spent most of our time on deck. We do like the balcony, but I think I could do without it and be happy; you're never a long trip from a chair on deck! (We had one of the new aft cabins, which have a slightly larger balcony. I found that I often wanted to go up on deck to see where we were going, rather than looking at where we had been.)

-- Eric

One thing that goes along with the post above. If you do a land stay, the only really "special" way to do it is in an over-water bungalow (OWB) on an island other than the commercialized main island of Tahiti. And before you set your mind on that (instead of a longer cruise) you might want to check out the prices per night for the OWB -- plus the menue and drink prices at your selected resort -- which will be in a remote area so you won't have much choice as to where to eat and drink. When we were last in Polynesia two years ago, the OWBs were about $600 per night, and the menue and drink prices were out of sight. With the decline of the $USD, it is probably worse now. It will be less costly for you per diem to take a longer cruise and have more days on the ship than a stay in an OWB -- or so we have found.

Another thing is the matter of kids on the PG. There won't be many. And those that are aboard will be enjoying the same water and exploratory activities that you will be enjoying. So kids on the PG are not a problem at all. They are merely fellow guests, who do the same things other fellow guests do (other than participate in open bar, of course).

I agree that if you can spend more than 2 days pre-cruise, you should get away from Tahiti, and spend it on Moorea, or somewhere even more exotic (I like Moorea *lots* better than Bora Bora).

Manihi was about as exotic as you could get at that time (2000), and we had a beach bungalow, not an OWB. IT was absolutely stunning.

I also agree that doing a pre-cruise makes sense, because you will be spoiled by the PG. But spending time on the islands has a bonus--you get to know the people a bit more, something that's a bit lacking on the ship.

Wow, this is such great information, thanks to everyone who has posted.

Of course I now have a few more questions;

From the photos it appears that there is enough room for a small table and chair on the balcony, which is all I was really hoping for - is that correct, or can you only stand on the balcony?

Great insight in the pre-cruise time to adjust to the time change, any other ideas of what people have done for a few days prior to cruise would be appreciated.

We are considering using mileage for our tickets, however it sounds like you are more protected in the event or change, or taken care of in the timeframe before and after the cruise if you use the air provided by Regent, is that correct?

Lastly - we are considering late August or September, any thoughts on the weather?

thanks again!

The balcony does accomodate two small chairs and a table, and a bit of standing room, and that's all. It is good to have the balcony, but IMO not a "must have" on this itinerary and ship, as I feel it is on an Alaska cruise (but that is another story).

There is a certain amount of added protection against "missing the boat" if you book air through Regent. Plus, some of us live in areas where we can't get to LAX in time to catch the ATN flight to Tahiti in a single day. In that event, Regent includes hotel pre-cruise at the LAX Airport Hilton.

The hot and rainy "summer season" in Tahiti (south of the equator) is generally December through March, with the most rain in December. August or September should be great times to go. We were there in September, '05, and the weather was very good.

Wow, this is such great information, thanks to everyone who has posted.

Of course I now have a few more questions;

From the photos it appears that there is enough room for a small table and chair on the balcony, which is all I was really hoping for - is that correct, or can you only stand on the balcony?

Great insight in the pre-cruise time to adjust to the time change, any other ideas of what people have done for a few days prior to cruise would be appreciated.

We are considering using mileage for our tickets, however it sounds like you are more protected in the event or change, or taken care of in the timeframe before and after the cruise if you use the air provided by Regent, is that correct?

Lastly - we are considering late August or September, any thoughts on the weather?

thanks again!

We're going on the PG for the first time in Dec. We are in NY. We found something very interesting....it was cheaper to use Regent air for the portion from LA to Tahiti (there is no direct flight on the day we're going) than to book it ourselves. We booked the flight to LA ourselves and used mileage to upgrade.

They do take good care of you if you do Regent Air. I've never found prices better by doing it privately. We like having the night in L.A. If you deviate, i.e., decide to go early or stay after the cruise, you pay a $100 pp fee, if you make your own hotel arrangements, and you don't get the L.A. Hilton if you're doing a "forced overnight" from the east coast. We did this once. But the pre-cruise packages are pretty good, and then all transfers are included, and you don't pay the deviation fee. Good to comparison shop.

We have been on the PG for a total of 24 days. I put together a very long review of our last 10-day cruise in 2006. I'd be glad to send it to you. Dreps@comcast.net. In short, we think the PG is fantastic. I tend to agree with those who prefer the ship to land-based accommodations, so the first time we did a back-to-back with no hotel, and the second time we did a 10-day cruise with a relatively inexpensive 3-night stay at the Radisson before the cruise.

Personally I think 7 days is too short and 14 days (because of ports visited without much there) is probably too long. (Also, 14 days is really the max the PG can provision for, so tail-offs in food/drinks should be expected. We were short on tomatoes, etc. on our 10 day cruise.) I would highly recommend some pre-cruise time in Tahiti, Bora Bora or Moorea. I was very pleased with the Intercontinental Tahiti in an OWB for 4 nights. (I would recommend against post-cruise stays as the magic is "over" and it is time to go home.)

As for a Veranda, I think it is essential. If you read my review of today you will see the differences. Waking up to a WOW view and taking breakfast (or just a coffee or pre-dinner cocktail) on the veranda changes the feel of the cruise IMO.

We did independent travel using miles and we saved a bundle over Regent pricing (even after adjusting for TA rates) and had absolutely no issues with taxis, transfers, hotels, etc.

Our August 22 cruise had almost ideal weather every day. I never had a gray day (a rain shower twice I think) and some wind, but sunny skies and great temperatures.

I did read your review, it was very informative. I really appreciate your insight in to this particular ship.

What is the difference between a veranda and a balcony? It appears that the veranda has a little more footage, as does the room itself - but I am trying to figure out if the difference between these two room types would be worth the extra money.

There is no difference. There are different sized balconies/verandas, but that is about it. Note: I met someone who was very upset because he wound up with a smaller cabin and larger balcony and felt very cramped. Just be careful what you book...by cabin, not category.

Another take on post-cruise vs. pre-cruise:

After a wonderful 7 days on the PG, diving every day, jet skiing, water skiing, hiking, snorkeling, (you get the picture) it was the ICING on the CAKE to arrive at Le Taha'a Private Island and Spa for 3 days post-cruise before heading home! We loved our time in the fabulous OWB....we could just relax, swim, spa, watch the sunsets and enjoy...the magic continued big time!

I think where you stay post-cruise makes all the difference. LeTaha'a was for us a step-up from the PG, and so a beautiful ending to a fantastic journey. We loved our post cruise experience so much we are doing it again this May with our grown children....this time 3 days at the IC Thalasso on Bora Bora after the PG.

By the way, I'm always amazed, do you "foodies" all have personal cooks/chefs? I must admit that food is not at the top of the list of why we love cruising, but quite honestly, we found the PG menus very nice. We never had a complaint and, for sure, we all gained our share of extra pounds. Maybe we were just too busy drinking Mai Tais to notice any short comings?!

The PG was our all time favorite cruise and we've done a few!

Time2play,

We have done three PG's, one to celebrate our 25th, one to celebrate my 50th, and one to celebrate our 30th. I don't know what we are celebrating next February. We do a precruise in addition to the standard 7 day cruise. Twice we did Le Meridian on Bora Bora and loved it, however that is not offered by Regent anylonger. Last October we had an OWB at Tikehau, really loved that, however that is no longer offered by Regent. So in February we booked Taa'ha Private Island, (spelled wrong). I personally liked the beach bungalows more than OWBs because you can roll right out of bed onto the beach, plus I have a little insomnia so I can get up and sit on the beach occasionally. We do precruise because the service at the resorts is not up to the PG in our experience, so we feel no let down.

We haven't experienced anything but a veranda or balcony, and can't imagine

the cruise without one so....

We also have not considered anything but Regent arranged flights because if something happens, they will take care of getting you to the ship. These days and my history of air travel snafus we think that is important.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our Sept 1st cruise on the PG. It was really fantastic. We did the 14 day cruise and loved it but I think if we return we would do the back2back or the 10 day. I think the 7 day is too short but the 14 day I didn't especially like the 3 sea days. Two would have been enough. ( that's just my opinion though). The weather was good after the 3rd day. it rained very hard the 2nd day and the seas were very rough. ( Maybe unusual for that time of Year.)

When we booked ( months in advance) all of the balcony or verandah cabins were already taken and that was the only 14 day cruise for a long time. We wanted to go then so booked a cabin on the 4th deck. I was really disappointed because I wanted a balcony ( my husband really didn't care one way or the other). I loved our cabin--it was quiet, right in the middle of the ship, near the reception desk and shore excursion ( travel concierge desk) and convenient to everything. After I saw the balcony cabins I am glad we didn't spring for the extra money. We were on deck all the time anyway. If I got up early I just went up to deck 8, got coffee and a danish from La Palette and sat outside admiring the scenery. I rpobably wouldn't have used the balcony too much anyway--again my opinion.

Our original plans when we began planning this trip ( our 47th Anniv.) was to stay on moorea for 3 days and then 4 days on Bora Bora. I started pricing hotels and they were exhorbitant. I also pulled up some menus and they were equally expensive. We then decided to go the cruise route and I am glad we did. The last night at the Radisson Hotel ( before our flight) I ordered a hamburger and it was $18.00--just the hamburger and a slice of tomato and lettuce! My coke was $5.00. Service is slow and the food not that good.

I think the service on the PG is excellent and I agree with another poster that the food was very good. All drinks being included from Champagne to water is another big advantage.

The age range was very mixed. Five honeymoon couples, some couples that looked to be in their fifties and sixties and the rest from 70 up to-- ( one man was 94!) No children. Everyone mixed very well and we made some good, new friends.

I think you will enjoy your 20th no matter which way you decide to do it!

Micked10

Our third trip on the PG was a 14-day back-to-back, two 7-day Societies Island itineraries. Loved it. Could not be more perfect--the best part being when you get to stay on the ship when everybody else leaves! As you leave Bora Bora the first week, you think, "oh, I didn't get enough!", and then you remember you'll be back a week later. Perfect.

Archived