considering PG would love insight

time2play

As far as itinerary selection is concerned, we took the standard 7 day in '02, a back-to-back of the 7 day itinerary in '03, and a 14 day Cook Island cruise in '05. The 7 day cruise, by itself, is too short to justify the travel time, I think all agree. The 14 day Cook Island cruise taught us that Regent had "cherry picked" the best islands for the standard 7 day itinerary. So our favorite itinerary would be the back to back. It offers the best islands for beach and water activities -- TWICE! Also, back in '03, Regent (then Radisson) was offering some "can't afford to stay home" deals on the second week. I don't know if this is true today, but worth having your TA check out. We have not done the Marquesas, and may never do so. First, there is the matter of the abundance of sea days mentioned above. We have nothing against sea days, but the PG just isn't built for them. She has a shallow 15' draft for the purpose of getting colser to shore on the reef protected islands. But this makes her a possible rough rider in more open seas. Also, we have it from reliable sources that the Marquesas are really not the best "beach and water sports" destination. It is a desirable destination for those who want to see fully unspoiled, uncommercialized (and virtually uninhabited) Polynesia on one of the many land excursions offered there. We, on the other hand, find the Society Islands visited on the 7 day cruise to be sufficiently unspoiled for us (Papeete and Tahiti itself excluded).

ParrotTops, Regarding the AA miles, it is 75,000 miles for coach, 125,000 for business, and 145,000 for first--we had one ticket in each cabin as there were 3 of us. There is only 1 seat offered in first and 1 or 2 in business on each flight for miles, maybe 4 in coach, so you have to book 330 days ahead. I think if we had bought a ticket in coach it would have been about $1200 (can't be totally sure as when I was pricing this was a year ago).

ParrotTops, Regarding the AA miles, it is 75,000 miles for coach, 125,000 for business, and 145,000 for first--we had one ticket in each cabin as there were 3 of us. There is only 1 seat offered in first and 1 or 2 in business on each flight for miles, maybe 4 in coach, so you have to book 330 days ahead. I think if we had bought a ticket in coach it would have been about $1200 (can't be totally sure as when I was pricing this was a year ago).

So did your DH trade seats with you on the return?

Actually, the most amazing thing happened. On the LAX-PPT flight, there was a young lady who had booked in F, but her boyfriend was in J (Business). She wanted to sit beside him, so she and I switched seats. So I got to sit in F going to PPT. On the way back, my husband, being an idiot, gave his F seat to the lady sitting beside me. I told him he is crazy. He should have given me the F seat. But he didn't ask. He thought I would be happy. Well, I have set beside him enough in 27 years that I would have rather been in F by myself. I think I can survive a flight from PPT to LAX without him being at my side.

Two time PG 7 day cruiser. If I go to FP again, I will absolutely spend a post cruise week or two on Moorea in an OWB to completely wind down before going back to the grind. I found Moorea to be a nicer place than Bora Bora. I know there are other wonderful places to go (Huahine) but more difficult to get to.

The PG is certainly more intimate, very few kids on my trips, no babies.

What a great way to spend a 20th anniversary.

PG 2001, 2003

I'd like to know if there's somebody from Europe having stayed on the PG?

We're thinking about a cruise on the PG next year.

As far as I found out there's connection with Air France via Los Angeles. My question is if I have to go through US immigration or if there's a special transit area where we can wait for our connecting flight.

Because of our last experiences with US immigration and customs I really don't want to stay overnight in LA and transfer directly to the flight to Papeete.

Thanks,

Jochen

Seems to me the airline ought to be able to clarify that for you. I think the last time we went to FP there were coninuting passengers on the ATN flight from Paris that did not reboard with us when we got on in LAX. I wouldn't stake anything on my recollection. I can completely sympathize with your desire to avoid immigration, what a pain, you would probably have to check out at one of those kiosk things before you board to continue to FP, too.

The first time we went, it was AOM, not Air France (then AF bought AOM). The transit passengers were kept in a separate transit lounge, so they didn't have to go through immigration. Not sure it's still like that, this was a few years ago. The LAX International terminal has so many Asia Pacific flights, I would find it hard to imagine they can't handle transit this way. But just a guess.

Time2play

I came upon this thread somewhat late, but I concur with just about every comment above. We have 24 collective nights on the PG and you WILL LOVE IT! We are going again this summer.

We have been on two 7-days and one 10-day. I have always wanted to do the 14 (to see the Marquesas), but the suggestions of two 7's back to back is a GREAT one that I had not thought of. IMAGINE...two visits to Motu Mohana in one trip...heaven.

I also recommend the (Northern Hemisphere's) summer. That makes it "winter" in FP and although the temps are only about 2-3 degree's cooler (low 80's) the humidity is lower and we enjoyed the more physical activities much more. I have been during the first part of July twice and there was NO issue with ill-behaved children (not many well-behaved either for that matter).

I hope you enjoy your cruise (actually I am sure you will!).

We have been on the 10 day and a 14 day from Fiji to Tahiti. We prefer the 10 day. I am glad we went FROM Fiji to Tahiti because Fiji would have been anti-climatic versus the Society Islands. :)

Archived