In port food?

WylieB

may be a stupid question, but being a newbie and all and sailing on my first cruise in two weeks, is the food on these all inclusive beach excurrssions safe to eat? I've been told to avoid the water, but waht about the food?

Can't answer for all of the ports, but I have made it a point to eat local food in every port that we have visited. Six ports so far and no problems with the food or drink. If I was in some small town away from the tourist traps I would be more careful but all of the larger places have had purified water for drinking and making ice. If you are doubtful, ask them. If their answer is questionable, drink bottled water.

P.S. If you don't eat local food you are missing some of the finer things in life.:D

I havent heard about not drinking the water in 20 years in Mexico lol. I hadnt thought of it.

Iv eaten the local food and it seemed ok to me, maybe if it looks really run down Id be more carefull, but I eat lunch in local joints. At a beach that they bring the food in for the tourists I dont think Id worry too much, but there is always the possibility in any country, even in the U.S.

I don't eat salads, any fruit that I cannot peel, or uncooked veggies. You also have to avoid ice in drinks. Another thing to know---when you buy bottled water, make sure no one but you opens the water for the first time. What some try and do is take used bottles and fill them up with whatever kind of water, and then they bring it to you and open it for you. Don't accept any bottled water with a broken seal

Thanks for the info, this is my first cruise and I'm trying to cover all the basis before I leave. Another question, do the businesses and taxi's etc. take US currency?

They certainly do. Make sure you have a lot of small bills, if you need change many will give it back to you in their currancy.

NIta

I would like to come back to your question.

Are you visiting the all inclusive resort through the cruise line excursion or on your own. If it's through the cruise ship excursion that is better.

With that said, you still should always be careful.

The best recommendation is to eat foods that are quite hot. Even on a buffet whether you are in the United States, the food can go bad if it is left out long enough. So, when we visit other areas of thw world and eat off the ship, we make sure that the food we eat is quite hot and that we eat say cooked vegetables. We love salad and fruit but as Kitty said when going off the ship we avoid salads, we avoid fruit with skin on it that you would have to eat and we do not drink any water other than bottled water and we do not have ice. We just think it's better to play it safe than sorry.

Keith

Archived