Celebrity Solstice - would you book new ship right after debut?

akafurby

I finally convinced my husband to try a cruise next year but due to work obligations we might actually have to push it into early 2009. Ugh. Anyway, I saw that Celebrity Solstice is due to begin sailing toward the end of December. So by the time we'd cruise, it will have been in action for about 2-3 weeks.

I am excited at the prospect of a brand-spanking new ship. On the other hand, my husband is quite leery that they may not have all the kinks worked out.

We went through this for our honeymoon two years ago. We were this/close to booking NCL's Pride of Aloha...until I found these message boards and FREAKED over the horrid reviews of the first few months. We just did a land vacation instead.

So...thoughts on sailing on a new ship?

We have booked the maiden voyage of the Solstice. Since it is actually supposed to be ready in October, we have no qualms about this trip. We did the maiden voyage of the Century in December 1995 and though there were plenty of things that went wrong, we did have an adventure and they are funny table conversations.

We are booked on the Solstice inaugural as well...I consider it a great adventure. Sure, there may be some things that are not worked out, but how bad can a brand new Celebrity ship be? Of course, I have a great sense of humor and don't let the little things get to me and I find a new ship to be highly intriguing.

We are also booked on the Solstice Inaugural - and SO excited. We know that there is the possibility of some problems. But the idea of being a part of something so exciting as the inaugural cruise of a new ship and a new class of ship with a cruise line as good as Celebrity far out weights the minor problems that may arise.

I can also tell you that I sailed on the Pride of Hawaii for 3 days/2 nights (as a TA) before there were any paying customers aboard. The ONLY problems we had were that the galley was s-l-o-w. And even they showed improvement with every meal served. The remainder of the staff did a fine job. They did a fine joy of taking our orders and serving our regular beverages, the problem was getting our food. Once they explained the problem to us we just took it in stride and went with the flow. It was a brand new, BEAUTIFUL ship, they kept our beverages full and we all had fun! That ship was staffed with 1/2 experienced staff and 1/2 brand new staff. At this time the ship was still in San Francisco. We were their first passengers they had cooked for and they had a lot to learn. I don't know what others complained about, but my understanding was that they got the sailing at a reduced rate to start with......

I have never been on a maiden voyage, but would consider doing so if the price was good enough to compensate for the things that will probably go wrong during it.

On the other hand, we took the Infinity to Alaska during its inaugural season when the ship had only been in service for a few months. That was one of our best cruises because, aside from the beauty of Alaska when less ships went there, by that time the crew worked very well together, the ship was new and beautiful, and the inaugural season theme created a very upbeat ambiance.

I think we were its sixth sailing....not brand new but still had a lot of kinks to work out. That was way back in 2000 so I can't remember just exactly what I noticed as being "less than perfect" on that cruise but I definitely remember thinking that the ship was very new and the crew had a lot to figure out yet. I do remember some great things. The deck chairs were new and fresh. No water or sweat stains anywhere.

I say, go for it!

Cheryl

We booked the inaugural and two more weeks right after the holidays.

It's not like they're hiring a brand new crew for the new ship but moving experienced crew from other ships as the core staff for these sailings. The chance of something going wrong is just as great on the "old" ships that lost their regular crew to Solstice.

On the other hand, my husband is quite leery that they may not have all the kinks worked out.....

We went through this for our honeymoon two years ago.

I'm glad you got all the kinks worked out on your honeymoon.:p

Where are you goiong to book Solstice? I can't find it on X web site.

Hi Patty:) Its there.....just click under "ships" on the Homepage.

The first 2 are the Azamara Ships...then Solstice.

No not ever. I would wait at least six months before booking a cruise. I know people like to be first, but there seem to be more issues with maiden voyages.

Then again I cruised on Infinity in '06 with a just transferred hotel and cruise director and the entire ship was out of sync. Not awful, just out of sync.

It's not like they're hiring a brand new crew for the new ship but moving experienced crew from other ships as the core staff for these sailings. The chance of something going wrong is just as great on the "old" ships that lost their regular crew to Solstice.

For the Century maiden voyage, they took the best crew from other ships and brought them aboard. Since the Solstice maiden voyage will be sailing out of Florida, they will probably bring the crew aboard overseas (as they did with the Century - also had the entertainment on board for the crossing) so they will have time to get the lay of the ship and working together downpat.

Would never book a new ship until it has been in service at least 6 months, and even more so with Solstice which is a whole new class of ship. Even though they bring experienced crew to the ship as they will do, it takes several months for them to get accustomed to the routine of a new ship.

And for another reason, I would not. The cruise lines have found that because so many people want to brag about being on a new ship, they charge premium prices. History shows that with all new ships the prices for the same itinerary are lower if you are willing to wait a few months. Frankly, the bragging rights do not interest me - after 35 cruises, it is kinda "been there, done that":)

We are booked for the January 18th sailing.

There is not comparison between this ship and what happened with NCLA. NCLA's ship was American flagged and had to have somewhere around 90%American employees working. They had a hard time finding the number of employees to fill the ship as well as Americans who were willing to work the hours cruise employees work.

To give you an example, let's use the CD as an example. In the industry the standard contract is 4 months on 2 months off. What NCLA was forced to do was hire CDs at 2 weeks on and one week off. With these ships out in Hawaii how are they possibly going to get anyone from the east coast. The trip just wasn't worth it.

They had service problems right and left from people who just weren't prepared to do the work needed. At this time NCLA also instituted their $10/per person per day service charge in leiu of tips. So the staff was gauranteed their money. Knowing you are going to get you money regardless of the job they did, what incentive did they have to do everything they could to make the customers happy. As I recall, for a number of cruises NCLA refunded some or all of those service charges to their guests.

On X, most of the employees will be transfering over from the rest of the fleet. On top of that, the ship is to be delivered to X in Mid November with a number of promotional sailing for corporate big wigs and travel agents. There will be a number of sailings before the innagural sailing on December 14th. If you are looking at booking sometime in January, that means they have 2 months to work out any bugs before you sail.

Go have a great time

No not ever. I would wait at least six months before booking a cruise. I know people like to be first, but there seem to be more issues with maiden voyages.

Then again I cruised on Infinity in '06 with a just transferred hotel and cruise director and the entire ship was out of sync. Not awful, just out of sync.

It's not being first - it's all the pomp and circumstance of a brand new ship pulling into a port for the first time. After recalling our experiences on the Century's maiden voyage, we are ready for that thrill again. We are aware that things may go wrong or be wrong, but having gone through a maiden voyage, this time we are prepared.

I finally convinced my husband to try a cruise next year but due to work obligations we might actually have to push it into early 2009. Ugh. Anyway, I saw that Celebrity Solstice is due to begin sailing toward the end of December. So by the time we'd cruise, it will have been in action for about 2-3 weeks.

I am excited at the prospect of a brand-spanking new ship. On the other hand, my husband is quite leery that they may not have all the kinks worked out.

We went through this for our honeymoon two years ago. We were this/close to booking NCL's Pride of Aloha...until I found these message boards and FREAKED over the horrid reviews of the first few months. We just did a land vacation instead.

My travel agent tells me never to book a cruise on a brand new ship. He tells me that they need several months to work out the kinks. Some people I know sailed on the first voyage of the Carnival Legend and regretted it.

And one last thing, don't forget, the "unsinkable" Titantic was on it's maiden voyage when it went down.

I wouldn't consider a ship until at least 3-4 months after it's first voyage. Your husbands right...it's so much better after the kinks are worked out. That really goes for everything you know? And, a 3-4 month old ship is hardly OLD!

We were on the 2nd voyage of Pride of Aloha - and let me tell you THERE WERE PROBLEMS! Things were very slow, they were still installing carpet and other things like that. Pride of Aloha wasn't brand new either (like an earlier post mentioned). They had re-furbished another NCL ship. At every port mass numbers of staff were leaving, and quitting. It was very upsetting to lots of of cruisers. We just took it in stride, but many were freeked out about the whole thing.

And one last thing, don't forget, the "unsinkable" Titantic was on it's maiden voyage when it went down.

Just think of all the wonderful memories the survivors had and the inspiration for movies which made almost a billion dollars....:rolleyes:

and can you imagine all the threads on cruise critic if it turns out to be a disaster..

I wouldn't consider a ship until at least 3-4 months after it's first voyage. Your husbands right...it's so much better after the kinks are worked out. That really goes for everything you know? And, a 3-4 month old ship is hardly OLD!

We were on the 2nd voyage of Pride of Aloha - and let me tell you THERE WERE PROBLEMS! Things were very slow, they were still installing carpet and other things like that. Pride of Aloha wasn't brand new either (like an earlier post mentioned). They had re-furbished another NCL ship. At every port mass numbers of staff were leaving, and quitting. It was very upsetting to lots of of cruisers. We just took it in stride, but many were freeked out about the whole thing.

Hi Sue:) I heard there are problems on that ship no matter

when it sails....:eek: but I can understand people wanting

to wait.

Oh...you are going on Mercury soon right? Have a fabulous

time. She is one of my most favorite ships:D

what do you think is going to happen?

No idea. It just gives them some time to get their act together.

I've been on one maiden voyage and it wasn't good. I've read about a lot of others where ships haven't been ready and even some that were cancelled.

Archived