Help! Can't Decide on Which Cruise to Book

This will be our first Med cruise and would appreciate any help you can offer regarding the below two cruises. Would like to hear from those who have taken either trip: how do the ships compare, etc. We are in our mid-50 and late 60's.

We are trying to decide on the Legend of the Seas cruise next May leaving from Rome. It goes to Portofino, Florence, Messina, Split, Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples and back to Rome.

The other cruise is on the Grand Princess leaving on May 3 from Rome ending up in Venice. It goes to Monte Carlo, Florence, Naples, Santorini, Ephesus (Turkey), Mykonos, Athens, Lympia, Corfu.

Look forward to hearing from you.

This will be our first Med cruise and would appreciate any help you can offer regarding the below two cruises. Would like to hear from those who have taken either trip: how do the ships compare, etc. We are in our mid-50 and late 60's.

We are trying to decide on the Legend of the Seas cruise next May leaving from Rome. It goes to Portofino, Florence, Messina, Split, Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples and back to Rome.

The other cruise is on the Grand Princess leaving on May 3 from Rome ending up in Venice. It goes to Monte Carlo, Florence, Naples, Santorini, Ephesus (Turkey), Mykonos, Athens, Lympia, Corfu.

Look forward to hearing from you.

My vote would be to the Grand Princess as you're getting Ephesus & Greece. As much as I loved the scenery of the Portofino Coastline, Monte Carlo opens up the whole of the French Riviera to you.

There are lots of points to consider. As far as the itineraries go, I'd give the edge to the Grand Princess. However, Grand Princess is the oldest of Princess' Grand Class ships. I don't know anything about Legend of the Seas, but it's something to think about. Also, the LOTS cruise departs and ends up in Rome, so it could be cheaper in terms of airfare (return from same city usually cheaper than open-jaw tickets).

My vote goes with the Grand Princess for two reasons: a) the one-way itinerary and ports of call. We just did the Emerald and it was great. b) Princess has the Anytime dining. In the med with late departures from port, this worked out fabulously. We are traditionalists who didn't care for the anytime when cruising in the Caribbean. There was never a line or waiting to be seated on the Emerald as long as you were willing to sit with others. Since you have your own group, you can make a reservation for a table nightly for the time that works for you.

As far as open jaw or multi-city flight costs, as long as you stay on the same airline for both ports, it shouldn't be too bad. EU airline fares are well over $1000 each now. The Legand is my all time favorite ship; glass walls everywhere. However, I like the Princess ship for much more than the small ship feeling.

Bon Voyage

Dinojuge,

It looks like to me you are on the right track. I have done three Meditterean Cruises including Legend of the Sea and know you will enjoy either of the choices you are looking at. Try to plan for May or September when the weather is not hot and the crowds are at a minimum. Do lots of research for hotels and accessiblity of the ports you will be sailing from. Try to fly in at least two days early and enjoy the sights and adjust to the difference of time. Jet lag can be an issue when flying from the States to Europe. Don't be afraid to use the local transportation in Europe. Its cheap and not that difficult to do. My wife and I are in our fifties and we road the train from the Rome airport to the port. The cost was a fraction of what a limo service would cost. I think you are about to make a good choice. Tim

Archived