LA Pre Cruise Hotel

Ski619

Have your TA check for availability for the Princess pre-cruise at the LAX Marriott. For us, it was $69/nite/pp and included the transfer to the ship the next day. We flew in, rented a Hertz car and visited family in the area. We returned the car rental directly to the hotel (parked it in the hotel parking lot and dropped the keys and rental agreement in a slot) when we checked in late that night. We left our luggage in the hotel room, with tags on, while we went to breakfast and it was picked up and taken downstairs to a holding area. When we boarded the bus, we identified our luggage and it was put on the bus and we didn't see it again until it was delivered to our cabin. It couldn't have been more convenient or less-expensive.

The last couple of times that we sailed from San Pedor (LA Cruise Terminal) we stayed at the Crowne Plaza. They have (had?) a drive and sail special where we drove down arriving the day before boarding and they kept our car for the duration of the cruise. The cruise was 15 days so the money saved in parking practilly paid for the room.

We have also used their fly and sail special where they picked us up at LAX the day before boarding and took us to the hotel. On the day of sailing, they shuttled us to the cruise terminal and, upon our return from the cruise, took us back to LAX. All for the price of the room which, at the time, seemed reasonable for LA.

We did deal directly with the hotel, 1-310-5198200 (the extra 3 digets in the phone number is the in-house reservations), instead of calling their central reservations service.

Hope this helps.

Smooth seas & a following wind,

Grant & Jeanne

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza San Pedro a few weeks ago. It was a great hotel, in a wonderful location with teriffic service. Also, they have a free shuttle to the pier. Can't beat it. I'd suggest bidding on Priceline. You might be able to get it in the rante of $65.00-$80.00.

Happy sailing!

We've used the Marriott at LAX, booked thru Princess, too, and found it a great way to go. The hotel is very nice, and the included transfers take away any uncertainty of how we were getting to the pier. Princess handling of our luggage was a bonus. For the price, we thing it's a great deal.

Last March we and several other friends drove to San Pedro in the large SUV of one of the couples. We stayed overnight at the Sunrise Best Western in San Pedro, which while not "the Ritz" like somebody mentioned, was quite comfortable, with breakfast included for around $100. That included leaving the SUV in their lot for 15 days. They have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal which is visible from the front entrance. After self-disembarking we called Sunrise, they sent the shuttle right over and within less than half an hour we were back in the SUV and on the road home.

This worked so well (and the little restaurant next to the Sunrise was so good for dinner that night) that we're planning on doing exactly the same in April 2008!:)

Last March we and several other friends drove to San Pedro in the large SUV of one of the couples. We stayed overnight at the Sunrise Best Western in San Pedro, which while not "the Ritz" like somebody mentioned, was quite comfortable, with breakfast included for around $100. That included leaving the SUV in their lot for 15 days. They have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal which is visible from the front entrance. After self-disembarking we called Sunrise, they sent the shuttle right over and within less than half an hour we were back in the SUV and on the road home.

This worked so well (and the little restaurant next to the Sunrise was so good for dinner that night) that we're planning on doing exactly the same in April 2008!:)

Glad to learn that you were happy with the Best Western last March -- was that March 2007? We stayed there in February of 2006, and had the same experience you did -- we were quite happy. But I've seen some very negative reviews for this year, and am a little leery of staying there again. Please let us know whether your stay was in 2007, or like us, in 2006.

Bill

We stayed there twice this last year -it isn't the Best Western anymore, just the Sunrise (we missed it the first time we drove by). The rooms were nice and large and the breakfast and shuttle service were fine. The only complaint I would have is that some of the carpets, such as in the elevator and next to it, were filthy. Maybe they have been replaced by now. Nancy

We stayed in the Hyatt Long Beach, booked thru the cruiseline and it was a lovely property. Located in walking distance from several attractions i.e., the Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific, whale watching tours, deep sea fishing. There were also several very nice (chain) restaurants across the street, Outback, P.F. Chang's, etc. Took the transfers from Celebrity for the trip to the pier.

The lobby was very nice and it so happened that I had left my jacket on a chair in the bar and retrieved it in the Lost and Found the next morning wrapped in a cleaners bag. Every employee I encountered greeted me and asked me if I was having a pleasant stay. I would go back in a heartbeat.

We stayed there twice this last year -it isn't the Best Western anymore, just the Sunrise (we missed it the first time we drove by). The rooms were nice and large and the breakfast and shuttle service were fine. The only complaint I would have is that some of the carpets, such as in the elevator and next to it, were filthy. Maybe they have been replaced by now. Nancy
I've stayed there twice and it was fine for the money. There's a Grinder's family-style, inexpensive but good, restaurant right next door and a really nice Mexican restaurant less than a 5-minute walk in the other direction.

We stayed in the Hyatt Long Beach, booked thru the cruiseline and it was a lovely property. Located in walking distance from several attractions i.e., the Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific, whale watching tours, deep sea fishing. There were also several very nice (chain) restaurants across the street, Outback, P.F. Chang's, etc. Took the transfers from Celebrity for the trip to the pier.

The lobby was very nice and it so happened that I had left my jacket on a chair in the bar and retrieved it in the Lost and Found the next morning wrapped in a cleaners bag. Every employee I encountered greeted me and asked me if I was having a pleasant stay. I would go back in a heartbeat.

The Queen Mary is not within walking distance of the Hyatt, it is abput 2 miles around the port to get there by trolley.

Archived