do you suffer from ir-regular-ity...

johno95

but only because you are on a cruise? :rolleyes:

i do. :(

for you, what causes this cruise-related constipation? :confused:

what do you do to prevent or treat it? :)

Unfortunately I suffer, my husband does not. I think for me it's the richer foods on a cruise that I'm not used to eating normally. I even make sure I get my fiber from whole grains and vegetables, but sometimes it still doesn't matter and I have a problem. I do notice cruises tend to be skimpy on the veggies at dinner, and give lots of the meat and starch (potatoes, etc.). So make sure you get your doses of veggies. But now I also pack Senokot and take it at the first sign of irregularity. I take the mildest dose of it and it works great for me, usually within 8 to 12 hours after taking. I'd give it a try as there is no need to suffer on your vacation, considering the great discomfort it can cause. Here's the link to their website. It's sold at any drug store, etc. Hope it works for you if you give it a try!!http://senokot.com/html/product_guide/senokot_laxatives.asp

We were on a longer cruise some time ago (think it was about 21 days Hong Kong to Australia). After a couple of weeks an announcement was made (as well as posted in the daily news notes) that the supply of prune juice and prunes was low !

Recommendation: drink lots of liquids (preferably water). Also, we

have found that eating graham crackers help - so you might want to pack

a box of those !

All the years on this board and this is the first time I've seen this type of question posted before ;)

We stick close to our regular diet from home, except at dinner. For breakfast, we forego the eggs and bacon in favor of fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, cereal, just like we do at home. For lunch we stay away from the buffet if we can, instead going to the dining room, better food, smaller portions, it just seems healthier to us. Although I do eat a bit of red meat on a cruise (at home I don't, DH doesn't eat red meat, only poultry and fish) we do usually stick to grilled fish for dinner with salad.

I wish they had better salads onboard cruise ships. It always tastes like bagged lettuce, like the bagged stuff you can get at grocery stores, even the salad bar. You can tell because it's dry and not quite fresh. I make us salads for lunch almost every day to take to work, always fresh lettuce and vegetables, I don't use anything pre-prepared except the dressing.

We drink a lot of water, just like we do at home, we walk laps around the promenade deck.

It's not a problem exclusive to cruise ships, though. Many people become irregular from any type of travel. I'd still rather treat it the healthy way, with food rather than pills. A few raisins or bran will help, grab an apple from the buffet, rather than a dessert. Try not to over-eat, that's a clogger in itself.

I suffer from it terribly.

I've put it down to the fact that all the food is so rich and heavy.

Once I couldn't get my hands on anything to 'help' so I ended up getting a bag of sugar free sweets from the gift shop and ate the lot ;) That usually has the same effect as a laxitive :p

I've recently discovered a 'slimmers' tea in the asian supermarkets called "3 Ballerina Tea". It's a green tea and within about 8 hours of drinking it, everything moves along quite nicely from then on ;) :D

Metamucil (or generic psyllium husk) capsules! No messy powders to mix, no yucky glumpy (is that a word? LOL) stuff to drink, easy to carry. Just take a couple of capsules with each meal, in addition to all the good suggestions about eating sensibly, lots of veggies, fruits, water, and so on.

I have a similar problem all the time. There are two over the counter solutions my doctor has recommended that are fairly inexpensive that work for me. I buy the generic brands at Wal-Mart.

1. "equate STOOL SOFTENER," a generic brand of COLACE. Take 1-2 capsules at bedtime, usually acts in 6-72hrs., not a laxative or have laxative side effects.

2. "equate FIBER THERAPY caplets," a generic brand of CITRUCEL. Take 2 caplets up to a max of 6 times daily, usually produces effect in 6-72 hrs. This is a man-made fiber, and unlike Metamucil, does not create uncomfortable bloating. It helps to retain more moisture in the intestine to prevent constipation.

More than likely cruise food contains less fiber than you are accustomed to eating, or maybe the eating schedule change. Whatever, drink plenty of water throughout the day. It should help.

I used to have the problem and ate prunes or figs for breakfast when I found them but actually the problem went away after 7-8 cruises.... I think it is nerves. Now I feel like I am home when I walk on a cruise ship - any ship. Some of them I know so well after being on them so many times (sister ships). Most of Carnival ships are laid out the same way and so are RCL. But I feel comfortable on NCL too... Maybe I should cruise less???? :p :p LOL Debbie

I'm almost embarassed to say that this happened to my on my first cruise, and of course it was our honeymoon, so I was not as happy all week as I should have been! Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, I just would've had an even better one if I didn't constantly feel like my stomach had turned to lead. The problem for me, as it turned out, was simple - I was dehydrated. We flew in the day of embarkation (never again!) and flying always dehydrates me (I guess it's a combination of all that dry, recirculated air and the fact that I drink less because I don't want to run to the bathroom constantly/am afraid we'll hit turbulence and they won't let me go when I have to:eek: ) and I just didn't drink enough water or other beverages while on the ship the first few days. When DH told another couple we met onboard about my tummy woes, the wife said she had experienced the exact same sensation in the past, and had felt much better after loading up on fluids. I took her advice and felt much better!:D

This past cruise, my second, I planned a bit better. I drank more clear fluids the week prior to the cruise, drank a lot of water the night before we left, and drank more on the plane on the way down. We also flew in the night before, so I was able to "recover" better from the flight and my sister just kept forcing water/other non-alcoholic beverages on me whever we weren't doing anything. Sure enough, I felt absolutely fine the entire time.:D

I agree with some of the posters that lack of fluids can really cause some trouble.

Drink lots of water or other clear fluids. I also like the ideas of eating similarly to what is eaten at home, with the exception of maybe a splurge at dinner or two.

My FI can have tummy troubles (as can I) so I will be sure I encourage him to drink lots of water on our honeymoon!

Thanks to everyone who posted, including the OP for bringing this subject up! :)

Generic for Colace and generic for Ducolax as needed works well. Also, drink your prune juice every so often.

Exercise and lots of water help.

I can easily do the prunes, but not the juice. I don't know which is worse, the juice or the not being able to get the body to cooperate.

Nita

For the opposite problem....if you know what I mean....I read somewhere (Rick Steves?) that you should eat yogurt every day when traveling. The enzymes in the yogurt offer some protection against bacteria in foods your stomach isn't used to.

For the opposite problem....if you know what I mean....I read somewhere (Rick Steves?) that you should eat yogurt every day when traveling. The enzymes in the yogurt offer some protection against bacteria in foods your stomach isn't used to.

I get that opposite problem everytime...Imodium is my best friend, I have IBS. Any milk product would trigger the problem for me.