What happened to "Gold Points?"

Dolebludger

If I'm not mistaken, Regent (then Radisson) used to award Gold Points based on amount of cruise fare that could be used at various Carlson Companies, including Radisson hotels. But it has been a few years since I have heard anything about this program, and since I have received a Gold Points statement.

Is this program still operative? If not, what happened to my Gold Points earned while it was in place? And if Gold Points are of any value today, how can I access information on my account?

Don't you have your goldpoints account number? If you do you can access it online with a pin number or you can establish a pin number if you never did.

http://www.goldpoints.com

If all that fails, they ahve a toll free number 800-508-9000

I just used Goldpoints to reduce the cost of my upcoming Regent cruise, so as of now it still is operational.

Thanks!

Now what happens if I can't find my Gold Points number? I recall that I had a card wwith the number, but so much has happened around me since then, plus no email reminders that I used to get, that I pretty much forgot about the program. Now, I need a pre-cruise in San Juan next March, and find that hotel rates there are astronomical! Some exceeding my air fare to get there. Do you know of who I can contact to get my Gold Points number (and that of my wife)?

Thanks, all for the info!

I'll call the number and see what I can find out.

My concern is in attempting to find a pre-cruise hotel in San Juan for our March '08 cruise. I must confess that we are booked for the cruise on one of my "other" favorite cruise lines (Silversea). This cruise was selected based on price/itinerary/time, and I am positive we will cruise Regent again, when their price/time/itinerary fits our criteria. In any event, I have been trying to find a hotel that is not a dump in San Juan for less that the $400 it cost me for the airline ticket there, and am having a bit of difficulty doing so. Seems that we are in "high season" or something. I noted that there is a Radisson hotel that would do nicely -- except for rates! I began thinking about all the things that might get me a discount, such as AARP, AAA, and every organization to which I belong. Then I rememberd Gold Points, with the hope that they could be used to at least reduce the hotel bill.

Why book a lux cruise and then "go cheap" on the one night pre cruise hotel? Fact is, I don't like hotels. I never do a vacation at one, unless it is an all-inclusive. Seems like when I pay more for a hotel that is supposedly more than just neat and clean and well maintained, all I get for the extra money are more people with "their hands out" for my money; along with over-priced and mediocre food and drink. I spend more per diem on a cruise, but feel that I'm getting something for my money. With spending a lot on a hotel, I feel I am getting very little for my money.

Check-in date of March 17 -- checking out the same day. Puerto Rico and/or San Juan has the highest hotel taxes I have ever seen! Then there is a "service charge" (?) added to the bill. So in the end, you are really looking at about $300! And yes, even at that, Radisson is more reasonably priced than any other hotel I can find other than what I suspect are "dumps". Still a bit more than I wish to (or expect to) pay for a hotel in the US (which PR is). So I hope Gold Points will defray at least some of this.

Check-in date of March 17 -- checking out the same day. Puerto Rico and/or San Juan has the highest hotel taxes I have ever seen! Then there is a "service charge" (?) added to the bill. So in the end, you are really looking at about $300! And yes, even at that, Radisson is more reasonably priced than any other hotel I can find other than what I suspect are "dumps". Still a bit more than I wish to (or expect to) pay for a hotel in the US (which PR is). So I hope Gold Points will defray at least some of this.

It has nothing to do with PR being part of the US, just supply and demand. If you check prices of hotels in Saint John and St Thomas (US Virgin Islands), they'll also be high. If you look for a hotel in Toledo, Ohio the same time of year I'm sure it'll be much cheaper!

Maybe it'll help if you see the price of the hotel as part of the cost of the cruise. It is what it is!

If I'm not mistaken, Regent (then Radisson) used to award Gold Points based on amount of cruise fare that could be used at various Carlson Companies, including Radisson hotels.

Since you've been away from the program a while, I thought I'd remind you that you don't earn Gold Points on Regent 2 for 1 cruises. All other Regent cruises, as far as I know (and have experienced).

Curious about your "other" favorite cruise line. My TA mentioned that Silversea is targeting the European market -- we were considering a Silversea cruise (only cruises have been Regent). . . . also heard there is considerably more smoking on Silversea -- just curious what your experience has been.:confused:

Travelcat:

My "other favorite line" is Silversea. We've cruised their smaller ships, the Cloud -- Wind twins, and like them. They are PG sized as far as the number of guests, but like the Mariner as to the suites. You must do a one cat upgrade to get a balcony, however. Formal nights are more formal, as is service, which is quick and efficient. We don't smoke. In our limited experience, we have yet to have a problem with others smoking.

Richard,

If you dont have enough Gold Points..amex has a new program for Starwood..get a card..one charge you get 10,000 points..I just got a hotel in Papeete (connecting to Auckland) for nothing for a $400 room at the Sheraton..

Have a great trip..I love Silver Seas

Jan

Hi Richard: Answering your last question...yes, in a number of ways. If you have a Hilton card, for example, you can transfer Amex points to it and then

get a certificate for the Embassy Suites, for example, in San Juan. (We are doing that in January before a SeaDream trip. Embassy Suites, by the way gives you a cooked breakfast and a manager's reception ...your liking for some inclusions. I think you can now use points, as well, like cash. Check it out. Maxine

Archived