Silly Transfer Question

cubicle prisoner

In 30 days the hubby and I will be on our first cruise. Not knowing what to expect is half the fun. However, I'm not sure how the transfer from the cruise to the airport will work as our flight does not leave Ft. Lauderdale until 7:00 pm. What to do in that time-frame? Obviously, we do not want to be at the airport that long, but not sure what to do with our luggage.

Any suggestions?

If you have a 7pm flight, you won't be able to check your bags at the airport until around 3 or 4pm.

Instead of sitting around the airport all day, consider booking a post cruise excursion through the cruiseline. If you do that, your luggage comes on the excursion buses with you and you are dropped off at the airport at the end of the excursion. We did one to the Everglades that was very fun.

A few cruiselines have a service where you pay a fee and they check you in for your flights onboard the ship and take your bags to the airport for you. You might look and see if your cruiseline and airline participate in this program. That way you could go off and explore Ft. Lauderdale on your own without worrying about your bags (except for your carryons).

Hello,

Consider renting a car for the day at the Fort Lauderdale Airport. The car rental agencies all have shuttles from the cruise terminal to their offices. By renting a car you can store your luggage in the trunk, and go see some of South Florida. Be sure to allow two hours before your flight for security and so on.

A car rental for a day should not be too expensive.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Instead of sitting around the airport all day, consider booking a post cruise excursion through the cruiseline. If you do that, your luggage comes on the excursion buses with you and you are dropped off at the airport at the end of the excursion. We did one to the Everglades that was very fun.

That's a great idea; I so wish we'd booked a post-cruise excursion. Seems like a way to prolong the cruise for a few more hours, almost.

These are all awesome ideas. Spoke with DH last night and if the cruiseline doesn't have a service to take our bags to the aiport I think we will go with the rental car option to explore the Lauderdale area on our own and hopefully find a great place for an early dinner. Like we will need more food.

CP,

Don't worry about asking too many questions here. We love to answer. As for thinking about what comes after the cruise, that's just good planning. You want to have all your bases covered and that can only be good. You must be the kind who wants to make sure every detail is taken care of so you can sit back and relax on your cruise. I'm thinking after one cruise, you'll want to take another.

PS- I like your name too - very original.

We cruise for the first time in December and our flight home leaves at 7PM also. After reading all of the great advice on this site we decided to rent a car and do another excursion. We booked the Kennedy Space Center, which you can either do via transportation through the ship or at your leisure. Since we are renting a car we are doing it at our leisure. Then if there is time left we can do a little more sight seeing before heading to the airport.

Yep, I'm a planner but also like to wing it on occassion. Through these threads it seems first timers should book excursions with the ship, but my wild side says differently.

We have free vouchers from US Airways so our choices were to depart at 3:00 pm and arrive home at midnight or depart at 7:00 pm and arrive at midnight. No brainer.

Could never get the DH to go on a cruise until we saw a cruise ship up close and personal in New Orleans while vacationing there some time ago. He was so amazed at the size of the ship which made him change his mind.

I'm so glad I found this forum as it is a wealth of information. I can't wait to explore the ship.

Archived