staff for the Odyssey

wripro

When on the Seabourn Spirit last summer 2006 in the Greek Isles, we were at the Captain's table and I asked Rikard Lorentzen several questions about the potential new ships. It was clear then BOTH that he was up on what was coming with the new announcment AND that he had a very strong interest. Given his length of service with Seabourn, I would rate him as a major potential to one of the early two Captains on this news boat.

His insights on what was coming with these new ships and why in June 2006 says lots to me.

Thanks. Terry in Ohio

Terry,

I was privileged to sail with Captain Rikard twice on the Pride, but he left Seabourn a few months ago and is now Mastering the Dawn Princess ship. We shall certainly miss him as he is a grrreat Captain!

In my opinion as to the new Captain's for the Odyssey, it will depend on seniority status.

Martita B.

I would be surprised if Capt. Bauer is not one of the captains. (There will be more than one as they rotate off for holidays fairly frequently.)

Also, while there will be some migration from the triplets, I think more will initially be done through natural rotations off of them and onto the Odyssey. I do not believe there will be a flocking of past guests onto the Odyssey as it will, necessarily, be a different experience and one which some may just not need or want. Hence the same Seabourn service is to be expected on all ships...and that can't be done by pillaging staff.

My concern is that with double the amount of guests, that means there will be more staff, thus more room for a few "bad apples" to upset the whole "Experience". I think we can all agree that the familiar staff is one of the "magic" things about Seabourn. I just wonder how this dynamic will be "shaken up" when they new bigger ships are in service....

I'm hoping Seabourn is as aware of the need to maintain the relationship between passengers and staff as we are. It is the ONE thing that sets them apart. I am expecting a certain amount of pilfering but on the whole they need to recruit and train new people. Of course, the Odyssey will be a different experience but it still has to be a Seabourn experience.

Staff will be taken from all three ships,new staff will be recruited for the sisters.I think that Karlo Bauer will be the captain.

Place your bets please!

My first choice for Captain would be Geir-Arne, and second would be Captain Karlo Bauer.

Host Dan

Captain Bauer has seniority status, next would be Captain Toenis T., and Captain Geir-Arne.~~ Captain Anderssen, I believe, would be considered "new" as would Captain's Tom T. and Dexter. These are all very skilled and accomplished Masters and I'll be happy with any of them.

As to Hotel Director's, I'll place my wager on Vitor Alves.

Martita B.

Captain Rikard Lorentzen has been with Seabourn for many years. He was Staff Captain on the Seabourn Sun under Captain Gundersen

(trivia: Captain Gundersen helped build the ship and is still Mastering the Prinsendam)

MB

I believe he was with us for about 4-5 years.

Seabourn Sun was never considered as part of Seabourn.

Even though the ship was under Seabourn for a short while.

Come to think about it, The Sun never considered themself as a Seabourn ship either. A different consept, which resulted in the transfer of the ship.

Anyhow, he (Lorentzen) is absolutely a wonderful person to work with.

rgds

Sailor

Sailor,

Last Sept. sailing on the Pride from Dublin to the Tower Bridge London, we had "golfing guests" as it was the Ryder Cup charter. One evening after dinner I went up to the Club. Sitting at the bar were 3 couples, talking and laughing ~~~I sat down in the far "fishbowl" and ordered my Bailey's Irish Creme. I happen to look a'round and there was a nice looking fellow sitting all alone at the end of the bar having his nightcap. None of the "sailor's" at the bar were being friendly as they had their backs turned to him~~totally ignoring him. Wellllll, I thought, "that's not very nice to exclude that nice man." I got up, went over and said quitely to the fellow,

"it's a 'lit rude for these folks to turn their backs to you." He replied, "Oh, it's alright, I don't mind ~~~would you care to come join me?" I stepped back, picked up my Bailey's and sat down on the stool by him. I extended my hand and introduced myself. The man then said, "I know who you are, Captain Soerensen pointed you out to me this morning" ~~~"I thought, that's strange ~~~he then said,

"Martha, I'm Captain Lorentzen.....I'm aboard undercover until I take over the ship in London for the Crossing!" I told him I certainly wouldn't "blow his cover" and we could pretend he had a handicap and was just another a golfer! We had a wonderful time visitin'that evening and for the next 5 days Captain Rikard wore his civilian clothing and none of the Guests had a clue as to who he was!! We became great friends ~~~he is truly a super person and a marvelous Master~~~(his laughter is contagious) I was so disappointed that Princess made him an offer he couldn't refuse! I may decide to fly to San Diego and cruise the Mexican Rivera on the Dawn!

We shall all miss him very much!!

Martita B.

Harvey,

I was told (Blue Lagoon) that Princess made Captain Rikard an offer "he couldn't refuse" ~~As he has a family in Northern Ireland I certainly understand his move. We wish him the very best!

Yes, the Seabourn Sister's will need additional Captains, Hotel Manager's, Chef's, Senior Officer's, etc., etc.

I'm sure the Corporate office is already looking ahead to 2009 & 2010 as far as Staffing.

MB

Archived