NCL, look at what the competition is doing re:passports!

Former Goalie

Royal Caribbean and sister lines Celebrity and Azamara have recently revised their passport policies to be more in line with that of Dept. of State/Homeland Security. Here is a link to the page with RCL's new, revised policy:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGuidelines.do;jsessionid=0000bZzXu7RH7dooUGVeOIebPby:12hbiocus

NCL is pretty much standing alone among the mass market lines by still requiring passports for any Carib./Mex/Bahamas cruise arriving back in the US after 12/31/07. It must be a lonely feeling....plus from a business standpoint, IMHO it's pretty unwise. For some (like us) it's very difficult to get passports because of personal circumstance.

NCl might also do a bit of proof reading before publishing. The "Welcome Aboard" booklet available in pdf form on the web site says "All guests must carry a valid passport", and specifies no time frame. Does that mean that a seven day cruise out of Miami to the Eastern Caribbean departing next Saturday requires a passport?

Well, you can (maybe) clear up this confusion by going to the page "New passport requirements for 2007", which does state at the very bottom of the page, "As of January 1, 2008, a valid passport is required for all guests (whether already en route on a cruise or just departing) for any itinerary where there is a stop in a foreign port."

Curiously, at the top of the very same page, under the title "Passport Requirements" in larger type, this is what we are "encouraged" to do: "Because passport regulations are subject to change, we encourage you to visit http://www.travel.state.gov for the latest requirements and overseas information before you sail." Well, travel.state.gov doesn't have this requirement until as early as summer 0f 2008 for travel to Carib./Mex/Bahamas!

Want more confusion? Go to "Required travel Documentation and information". We are told what is required through 12/31/07, but not thereafter, for Carib./Mex/Bahamas cruises. It would certainly be helpful to know what is requred after 12/31/07 on the same page. Oh wait, we are encouraged to visit http://www.travel.state.gov on that page, and we all know by now what we will be told there.

But wait, there's more. Being the conscientious guy that I am, I filled out our Advanced Guest Registration Forms, for which NCL states "Pre-registration is mandatory."

Our cruise arrives back in the good ol' US of A after 12/31/07 after stops in foreign ports in the Carib/Mex/Bahamas, and these are the options given, and the same options are still given:

"DOCUMENT TYPE

Note: In addition to your proof of citizenship document, proof of identity must also be presented on embarkation day for all persons 16 years of age and older (i.e., valid driver's license that includes a photograph or government identification card that includes a physical description).

U.S. Citizens traveling to Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean require one of the following documents:

Passport

State Issued Birth Certificate

Certificate of Citizenship

Certificate of Naturalization

Report of Birth Abroad

Note: Only the documentation types listed will be accepted for sailing, depending on your cruise itinerary.

Failure to present appropriate documentation will result in boarding being denied with no refund offered.

Notary stamped or photocopies are NOT accepted as valid proof of citizenship."

Following the above, you are then given the option to check off of one of the five options above, one of which is, yes, "State Issued Birth Certificate"!

I pointed this out in calls to various NCL "supervisors" to no avail. Many apologies, but offered no solution. They said that's just the way it is!

I know NCL is big on Freestyle Cruising, but I wish the information given about travel documentation was a bit less Freestyle.

I also know I may get flamed by some who will say to just get a passport; all I'm hoping is that someone from NCL will read this.

Well if you access to any type of news source :rolleyes: you would know that passport is becoming the required documentation to travel. I personally avoid the news like the plaque and even I know about it. It's been in the work for years and been very news prominent for at least two years.

It's not really that difficult to understand. You need a passport as of 2008. There are rumors that date may be pushed back once again, but once it is in effect, no cruise line will be able to over ride it.

My suggestion - just get the passport. It just makes traveling a whole lot easier.

My impression is, NCL is simply trying to keep abreast of the new laws. However I will be the first to admit my annoyance with the website... but that is whole another topic.

Well if you access to any type of news source :rolleyes: you would know that passport is becoming the required documentation to travel. I personally avoid the news like the plaque and even I know about it. It's been in the work for years and been very news prominent for at least two years.

It's not really that difficult to understand. You need a passport as of 2008. There are rumors that date may be pushed back once again, but once it is in effect, no cruise line will be able to over ride it.

My suggestion - just get the passport. It just makes traveling a whole lot easier.

My impression is, NCL is simply trying to keep abreast of the new laws. However I will be the first to admit my annoyance with the website... but that is whole another topic.

I explained that it's not easy for us to "just get a passport" because of our personal circumstance. If it was that easy for us, I would have gone down to the post office weeks ago.

You state "You need a passport as of 2008." That's NCL's policy, the government has stated that they will not be required for Carib/Mex/ Bahamas cruises until the summer of '08.

I explained that it's not easy for us to "just get a passport" because of our personal circumstance. If it was that easy for us, I would have gone down to the post office weeks ago.

You state "You need a passport as of 2008." That's NCL's policy, the government has stated that they will not be required for Carib/Mex/ Bahamas cruises until the summer of '08.

Well I guess if thats the case when it becomes the law, you won't be able to cruise. Passports are not hard to get. :D

OP - I am guessing you have a child under the age of 14 and a parent who is not too cooperative about signing form DS-3053 for you. You know you have other options if the other parent won't cooperate.

You can have one parent appear, sign, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply such as a court oder specifically permitting applying parent's travel with the child. You could also file for a passport using Form DS-3053 if the other parent won't cooperate. Complete the Special Circumstances section.

Good luck.

I completely agree with you about the "freestyle" passport rules. Like you, getting a passport for my youngest kids is not that easy. The passport place near us is only open m-f. We need both parents here, only mine dh works in another state during the week.

I'm wondering if the notarized form can be done in another state.

I know we NEED to get passports, but I just don't see how NCL can require something different than what our government requires.

• Administrators
I completely agree with you about the "freestyle" passport rules. Like you, getting a passport for my youngest kids is not that easy. The passport place near us is only open m-f. We need both parents here, only mine dh works in another state during the week.

I'm wondering if the notarized form can be done in another state.

I know we NEED to get passports, but I just don't see how NCL can require something different than what our government requires.

Well, whether it's good business practice or not (not, in the eyes of the OP! :) ), NCL is a privately-held company and they can set the rules. At least so far in this country, the government can't tell a private corporation not to do MORE than the government requires.

Well I guess if thats the case when it becomes the law, you won't be able to cruise. Passports are not hard to get. :D

In our circumstance, passports ARE hard to get.

We absolutely were not going to do a cruise until the government relaxed the requirements this past summer. And, obviously, we won't when passports are required

I certainly would not have made our substantial final payment if I had not been given the option of "birth certificate" while filling out the Advanced Guest Registration Form which NCL requires. I checked the "birth certificate" option, after which the guest showed as "Registered" by the NCL system.

I am not sure if the government has made the formal announcement as to what it is doing with Passports next year. I am sure as soon as it does, NCL will follow that requirement. I would doubt that any cruise line will do more than the government requires. There is no reason to. There is an issue that it might be a violation of discrimination laws to require more then is required...but clearly I would expect any cruise line or airline to merely follow the governments rule on this.

OP - I am guessing you have a child under the age of 14 and a parent who is not too cooperative about signing form DS-3053 for you. You know you have other options if the other parent won't cooperate.

You can have one parent appear, sign, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply such as a court oder specifically permitting applying parent's travel with the child. You could also file for a passport using Form DS-3053 if the other parent won't cooperate. Complete the Special Circumstances section.

Good luck.

I'm very familiar, too much so, with the DS-3053!

Many thanks, you are obviously very knowledgeable about special circumstances, and I most appreciate your advice and encouragement!

Well, whether it's good business practice or not (not, in the eyes of the OP! :) ), NCL is a privately-held company and they can set the rules. At least so far in this country, the government can't tell a private corporation not to do MORE than the government requires.

I totally agree that because NCL is privately held, they can require whatever they so choose. They can require that all people be wearing tuxedoes in order to board the ship if they so choose.

I just don't think it's good business practice when competitors such as RCL, Celebrity, and Carnival don't have this requirement.

• Administrators
I totally agree that because NCL is privately held, they can require whatever they so choose. They can require that all people be wearing tuxedoes in order to board the ship if they so choose.

I just don't think it's good business practice when competitors such as RCL, Celebrity, and Carnival don't have this requirement.

Oh, indeed! I wasn't differing with your view of the wisdom of this decision by NCL as a business practice! I was just replying to someone who didn't understand "how" NCL could require something different/more than the government does -- the answer basically is "because they can." I fully understand your point that NCL in fact (at least at this point in time) DOES have a higher requirement than the State Department for your cruise dates, and that this fact is impacting your planned travel. I hope that the situation is resolved to your satisfaction, and soon -- what a dreadful, and stressful, situation for you. :(

When booking my cruise for this month, I wanted to be very clear on this issue. I spoke with my TA, who contacted NCL and received this response;

Thank you for your inquiry.

As of January 23, 2007, passports will be required for all U.S. citizens

traveling to or from the United States VIA AIR, to or from Canada, Mexico,

Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

This initiative will affect only AIRLINE passengers.

Passengers traveling to/from the above areas via cruise ship, will not require a

passport in 2007.

In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or certified copy),

plus a laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government

agency is required.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth (except for new borns)

are NOT acceptable.

You will need to bring your marriage license to show your change of name

from your birth certificate to your driver's license.

Passport applications are now taking months for fulfillment; you might not get

your birth certificates back in time.

If you send an application to a Passport Acceptance Facility, a government

function, it is taking up to 10-12 weeks to receive your passport from the date

you applied.

There are expedite services available online that take 2 to 3 weeks for an

additional fee.

See http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport for up-to-date information.

Jackie at Norwegian Cruise Line advises that it is not necessary to add Jr. to

the booking, even if it appears on the birth certificate and driver's license.

If you would prefer to add it, anyway, please call the number below and we will

be happy to assist you.

===

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 7/24/2007 3:34:32 PM

When booking my cruise for this month, I wanted to be very clear on this issue. I spoke with my TA, who contacted NCL and received this response;

Thank you for your inquiry.

As of January 23, 2007, passports will be required for all U.S. citizens

traveling to or from the United States VIA AIR, to or from Canada, Mexico,

Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

This initiative will affect only AIRLINE passengers.

Passengers traveling to/from the above areas via cruise ship, will not require a

passport in 2007.

In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original or certified copy),

plus a laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government

agency is required.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth (except for new borns)

are NOT acceptable.

You will need to bring your marriage license to show your change of name

from your birth certificate to your driver's license.

Passport applications are now taking months for fulfillment; you might not get

your birth certificates back in time.

If you send an application to a Passport Acceptance Facility, a government

function, it is taking up to 10-12 weeks to receive your passport from the date

you applied.

There are expedite services available online that take 2 to 3 weeks for an

additional fee.

See http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport for up-to-date information.

Jackie at Norwegian Cruise Line advises that it is not necessary to add Jr. to

the booking, even if it appears on the birth certificate and driver's license.

If you would prefer to add it, anyway, please call the number below and we will

be happy to assist you.

===

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 7/24/2007 3:34:32 PM

Cruise travel documentation to the Carib/Mex/Bahamas for '07 is clear. The issue is that, for '08, it is not, and that is an understatement.

I think any US Citizen who leaves the country should have a passport. It's just common sense. The cost is around $100, which anyone contemplating a cruise can afford. They last so long, you can look at it as $10 a year - the fee is negligible.

The only reason I can think of that someone would not want to get a passport would be if they could not get one - not a citizen, or in trouble with the law or something.

• Administrators
I think any US Citizen who leaves the country should have a passport. It's just common sense. The cost is around $100, which anyone contemplating a cruise can afford. They last so long, you can look at it as $10 a year - the fee is negligible.

The only reason I can think of that someone would not want to get a passport would be if they could not get one - not a citizen, or in trouble with the law or something.

Hoping to spare the OP another explanation here.... sometimes people are perfectly willing to get a passport, but can't for various reasons. Some might include -- one traveler is a minor child and the other parent is not cooperating with the passport process. Another (reported here on another board lately) had to do with a child adopted by US parents from a non-US country and some difficulties with obtaining the documentation required for a passport.

"Because passport regulations are subject to change, we encourage you to visit www.travel.state.gov for the latest requirements and overseas information before you sail." Well, travel.state.gov doesn't have this requirement until as early as summer 0f 2008 for travel to Carib./Mex/Bahama

My daughter and I *ran* to get our passports as soon as our trip was booked in Aug for a Jan cruise. We had heard all the horror stories of 4-5 months for a passport. We got our passports in three weeks. Shortly after I talked to a friend who is cruising to Mexico in Feb (and who had also *run* to get their passports) and she said her TA called and told her they were not needed until summer of '08.

I figure it this way...we will need them sooner or later so now we have them and for 10 years it won't be a problem. And now that I have a passport again, maybe I will go other places where I might need one! :D

Believe me, we are more than eager to get passports for the two members of our party who don't; I assure you there are no citizenship issues or problems with the law, everything is good to go, except for a special circumstance which a prior poster alluded to.

And. thanks to MichellP in pointing out that the process is not as simple as it may seem in certain instances.

Yes, the OP already beat this topic to death last week.

OP, I have total compassion for you that your ex-spouse is being non-compliant. However, I think there comes a time when you could more productively direct your energies than continuing to bring the subject up here. Write a letter to NCL, write a letter to the State Department, call your members of Congress, take your ex- to court. Any or all of the above would be far more productive than continuing to post the same thing here.

I hate to seem like a butthead. :(

In our circumstance, passports ARE hard to get.

We absolutely were not going to do a cruise until the government relaxed the requirements this past summer. And, obviously, we won't when passports are required

I certainly would not have made our substantial final payment if I had not been given the option of "birth certificate" while filling out the Advanced Guest Registration Form which NCL requires. I checked the "birth certificate" option, after which the guest showed as "Registered" by the NCL system.

Now I understand why you can't get passports! I'm sorry!

I hope you can find a way to resolve this!

Yes, the OP already beat this topic to death last week.

OP, I have total compassion for you that your ex-spouse is being non-compliant. However, I think there comes a time when you could more productively direct your energies than continuing to bring the subject up here. Write a letter to NCL, write a letter to the State Department, call your members of Congress, take your ex- to court. Any or all of the above would be far more productive than continuing to post the same thing here.

I hate to seem like a butthead. :(

I would hesitate to characterize my participation on a thread with 23 posts as beating this topic to death.

As to you feeling that "Any or all of the above would be far more productive than continuing to post the same thing here", if you read the bottom of my original post, I am trying to productively direct my energy here, I'm hoping that someone from NCl will read the posts on this thread.

I have spent hours in conversation with NCL, my TA and her company's legal department have been and are in contact with NCL, we are aware there may be legal options. Posting here is not the only thing we're doing, I'm just hoping it might have some visibilty.

I would hesitate to characterize my participation on a thread with 23 posts as beating this topic to death.

As to you feeling that "Any or all of the above would be far more productive than continuing to post the same thing here", if you read the bottom of my original post, I am trying to productively direct my energy here, I'm hoping that someone from NCl will read the posts on this thread.

I have spent hours in conversation with NCL, my TA and her company's legal department have been and are in contact with NCL, we are aware there may be legal options. Posting here is not the only thing we're doing, I'm just hoping it might have some visibilty.

Good luck, and I do mean that with the utmost sincerity. I certainly understand what it's like to feel frustrated and like the powers-that-be aren't listening. It's also completely unconscienable that your ex- is using your child to hurt you, AND is hurting the child in the process.

I'm just not sure that posting here is the most productive way to get through to the people at NCL. I've seen people come through here with some pretty hairy problems, and not a single one has reported back here that their problems were resolved as a result of bad P.R. generated on CC. Perhaps if you found a consumer advocate at your local TV station or at a major newspaper (e.g., Washington Post, New York Times)? That kind of bad P.R. usually gets companies to sit up and deal with the problem.

This must be the nine-hundredth thread on the topic of passports in the past four years.

JUST GET A PASSPORT ALREADY!

It's good for ten years! You won't have to worry about it anymore!

**bangs head on desk**

Archived