NCL, look at what the competition is doing re:passports!

Former Goalie

I beg to differ with you. As long as one parent travels with the child, no notarized letter is necessary. The following is from NCL's web site:

"If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENTAL/ GUARDIAN CONSENT LETTER that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided."

Some countries require a letter from the non custodial parent...it can be a pain in the neck(the Dominican Republic for an example)

Some countries require a letter from the non custodial parent...it can be a pain in the neck(the Dominican Republic for an example)

We have been on three cruises (all on RCL) with the same pax. Never a need for a notarized letter. Two of the trips included Mexico (such as we are going on), the last one Spring '07.

We have been on three cruises (all on RCL) with the same pax. Never a need for a notarized letter. Two of the trips included Mexico (such as we are going on), the last one Spring '07.

The most of the time they leave the cruise ships alone. I don't know the requirement for Mexico. I just looked up the requirement for the DR and the embassy says even though its not a technical requirement sometimes they ask for them anyway and can hold up people because of them when there isn't a letter from the non present custodial parent....I'll look up the technical requirement for Mexico to see if it is different...]

Mexico from the US consulate website

Minors: Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The State Department recommends that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or closest Mexican Consulate for current information.

It just takes one time and everyone will be returning home without the cruise. Policies for airlines and ships, the parent must provide the letter, I know of one situation where the family was turned down from cruising. Luckily the port was right there where the lived and the other parent could be reached in time for sailing. The parent had no problems with signing the paper, but no one had informed the family this was necessary. I do hope you work this out.

Nita

It just takes one time and everyone will be returning home without the cruise. Policies for airlines and ships, the parent must provide the letter, I know of one situation where the family was turned down from cruising. Luckily the port was right there where the lived and the other parent could be reached in time for sailing. The parent had no problems with signing the paper, but no one had informed the family this was necessary. I do hope you work this out.

Nita

You know, I appreciate everyone's heads up about the notary issue. I will say it has created another layer of anxiety in what is already not a stress free situation.

Were we to get the passport issue resolved, I have only NCL's stated policy about parental consent to go by, which says that only if the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent will we need a letter of consent.

As I have stated, three times we have traveled on a cruise in the same situation we are now. Never once have we been asked anything about our situation, at embarkation, shore side in a foreign land, traveling on the ship, nor at disembarkation.

"Policies for airlines and ships, the parent must provide the letter".....NMNita, I just don't know why you choose to make a blanket statement like this, when there is no mention of any need for this on NCL, or for that matter, the RCL web site. Both only require ONE parent.

I explained that it's not easy for us to "just get a passport" because of our personal circumstance. If it was that easy for us, I would have gone down to the post office weeks ago.

You state "You need a passport as of 2008." That's NCL's policy, the government has stated that they will not be required for Carib/Mex/ Bahamas cruises until the summer of '08.

I've just barely glanced over this thread ... so don't know if this has been mentioned (ignore it if it has) ...

Last January we took our 5 year old granddaughter on a cruise. Her parents came along as well but our granddaughter was traveling with us (on our docs ... it was her 5th birthday present from us). Anyway ... when coming back thru customs in Los Angeles, we had our granddaughter with us ... her mom and dad were in another line. The agent asked DGD who these people were with her. She answered, "Gramma and Papa". He then asked her where her parents were. She was too short to see which line they had gone in and so said, "I don't know". The agent's interest was picqued and I told him they were right there in the next line ... at which point my son said, "She's our daugther!"

I wasn't upset AT ALL with the agent. In fact, I was pleased that he was watching out for my granddaughter (and all young kids).

BTW: I sell cruises and I ask all my clients to have a valid passport that is good at least 6 months past the end of their cruise (or other travel). Just makes good sense. It will too soon be impossible for any of us to even walk across to Mexico or Canada without a passport. I understand the issues involved ... too bad the kids have to suffer for the parent's actions. IMHO :o

~d

Former Goalie, I am so sorry that this thread turned out this way. You were looking to vent about how the passport requirements were inconsistent among various documents and sources, and you received bashing comments about things that are really no one's business. I can't believe some people could even purport to imagine what it is like to be in your shoes, yet they feel free to comment on your parenting and interpersonal relationships, preparedness, intelligence, and research skills.

I truly hope this situation works out to your liking.

In the past when I had the same last name as my daughter, I was never asked for the notarized letter from my ex....A couple of times they didnt even ask for the letter for my daughter's friend who cruises with us every year. Now that I have a different last name, they ask. I have always carried the letter, just in case. (my daughter is 14 and I got her a passport years ago when they 1st announce the changes, I didnt want to wait)...

A friend of mine didnt bring the letter, they werent going to let her daughter on the ship, but she was cruising out of Boston, her ex only lives 20 miles away and he came in and signed the form and they got on the ship. Again she has a different last name than her daughter. I dont know if that is the reason why.

When I book my cruise, my TA always reminds me of the requirments for traveling with children.....

Good luck!!

In the past when I had the same last name as my daughter, I was never asked for the notarized letter from my ex....A couple of times they didnt even ask for the letter for my daughter's friend who cruises with us every year. Now that I have a different last name, they ask. I have always carried the letter, just in case. (my daughter is 14 and I got her a passport years ago when they 1st announce the changes, I didnt want to wait)...

A friend of mine didnt bring the letter, they werent going to let her daughter on the ship, but she was cruising out of Boston, her ex only lives 20 miles away and he came in and signed the form and they got on the ship. Again she has a different last name than her daughter. I dont know if that is the reason why.

When I book my cruise, my TA always reminds me of the requirments for traveling with children.....

Good luck!!

I just finished up a chat w/my TA about our passport situation, plus I mentioned the parental consent letter thingee. She is with one of the big cruise only agencies, a TA for many. many years who has sold a ton of cruises.

She flatly stated to me on the parental consent issue - the requirement is only ONE birth parent present, which meshes with NCL and RCL policy.

We are doing a dinner/dancing cruise on the Pearl next spring (May 2008) that is round-trip out of Seattle with no port stops and the online guest registration forms say we need a passport. I was surprised at this, since we won't be visting any foreign ports, just Seattle, sea day, back in Seattle. Luckily DH and I already have passports and we had planned to get one for our son anyway, since we're doing a Southern Caribbean sailing next fall.

We are doing a dinner/dancing cruise on the Pearl next spring (May 2008) that is round-trip out of Seattle with no port stops and the online guest registration forms say we need a passport. I was surprised at this, since we won't be visting any foreign ports, just Seattle, sea day, back in Seattle. Luckily DH and I already have passports and we had planned to get one for our son anyway, since we're doing a Southern Caribbean sailing next fall.

That is really curious, as ours give birth certificate as an option. I don't even know if your cruise stops in a foreign port. If it doesn't, you wouldn't need passports, per NCL current policy.

Per NCL tonight:

"Passport Requirements

As early as Summer 2008, the U.S. government will require all of our guests to be in possession of a valid passport when sailing on any NCL cruise.

Because passport regulations are subject to change, we encourage you to visit http://www.travel.state.gov for the latest requirements and overseas information before you sail."

They also haved added wording on the "required travel documentation and information", adding the words summer 2008 as it applies to cruises leaving from US soil which call in a foreign port.

I can take some satisfaction, as I truly feel that after the many, many emails, phone calls and snail mail (to Colin Veitch) made by my TA and I, as well as the volume of interest on this board, NCL finally updated its policy to reflect government policy and get in line with the industry.

I am so happy to hear it will all work out for you. I ended up with a rare day my dh was home in town on a weekday and we were able to get our passports. I'm glad though that NCL is now in line with the government requirements.

Have a great trip!

I dont see any need to add any perspective. If you travel out of the country, you need a passport. If you can afford to cruise, you can afford a passport.

That is my opinion. Sorry if it POs anyone. I dont need to read 90 something other posts. It wont change my opinion. And everyone who posted on this thread had a first post. I dont see the relevance of that comment.

If indeed the government decides passports are not necessary until such and such dates, NCL will follow the guidelines: My personal opinion, passports should be mandatory for anyone leaving and entering our country whether by air, land or sea. I hope the OP can get the problems worked out, but I also hope our government does require them, sooner rather than later.

Nita

What do you mean if? It has been common knowledge for at least a couple of months now. The government in their infinite wisdom has already changed this date many times over the last 2-3 years only adding more confusion to the equation.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Bill

I dont see any need to add any perspective. If you travel out of the country, you need a passport. If you can afford to cruise, you can afford a passport.

That is my opinion. Sorry if it POs anyone. I dont need to read 90 something other posts. It wont change my opinion. And everyone who posted on this thread had a first post. I dont see the relevance of that comment.

If you bothered to read the other posts, you might understand that, because of personal circumstances, getting a passport for some, us included, is extremely difficult.

As to this being your first and only post, I just find it odd that you choose to add your two cents after the original issue being addressed in the thread had been resolved by a change in NCL policy.

FYI, if you travel out of the country, you do not necessarily need a passport. For sea travel to Mexico, Bermuda, the Caribbean region, and Canada a passport is not required until the summer of 2008.

This is my husband's and I first cruise and we leave on the 10th of December 2007. I don't believe there is time for me to get a passport. I agree with the confusion and everywhere it says something different regarding this. Do you need a marriage certificate along with your driver's license and birth certificate? Somepeople said they needed it but I asked ncl and they said no. Will I have a hassle getting into all the ports with a birth certifcate?

SOME EXPERIENCED CRUISER HELP ME PLEASE:eek:

This is my husband's and I first cruise and we leave on the 10th of December 2007. I don't believe there is time for me to get a passport. I agree with the confusion and everywhere it says something different regarding this. Do you need a marriage certificate along with your driver's license and birth certificate? Somepeople said they needed it but I asked ncl and they said no. Will I have a hassle getting into all the ports with a birth certifcate?

SOME EXPERIENCED CRUISER HELP ME PLEASE:eek:

No, you do not need a marriage certificate. Not sure where you heard that. BUT, w/o a passport, your birth certificate needs to be an original embossed one ... not a copy.

~d

In the end, all that NCL was guilty of, was being slow to change the information on their website to remain consistent with the US government's position on passports. In light of the number of times this information and the deadlines have changed in the past two years, it is, IMHO, difficult to fault them for waiting until the dust clears and the rules are stated definitively. Unfortunately, the dates continually change and I would not be at all surprised to find that there will be groups urging a further postponement of the deadline because the summer of 2008 is in the midst of the tourist season and too many people without passports will have their vacation plans jeopardized.:rolleyes: At some point the government needs to set a date certain and stick to it. There will always be procrastinators who refuse to apply for a passport until it is absolutely necessary. Extending the deadline serves little good, and does serve to anger those who, in good faith, acted to get their passports in a timely fashion, only to find that the date has changed.

As a general rule of thumb, though, everyone should realize that no cruiseline will ultimately set a passport requirement that is stricter than what the US government requires. Certainly it may be within their power to do so, but it would be financially disastrous for them to have a stricter policy than that of their competitors. For those whose personal situation makes getting a passport difficult or onerous, there have to be ways to get one given the amount of time that has been already provided. :)

Archived