NCL, look at what the competition is doing re:passports!

Former Goalie

This must be the nine-hundredth thread on the topic of passports in the past four years.

JUST GET A PASSPORT ALREADY!

It's good for ten years! You won't have to worry about it anymore!

**bangs head on desk**

As the OP said, it's not that easy. Bummer about your lumpy head, though...

Plus children's passports are only good for 5 years.

OP, I feel for you. I had to resort to legal means to be able to get my daughter's passport. I wish I had a magic wand for you, I really do. It is difficult to deal with emotionally when all you want to do is take your children on a nice vacation! Best of luck...

If you left the US without a passport, then for some horrible unforseen reason missed the ship (broke leg and were in the emergency room, etc, etc) you could not fly back to the US without a passport. I believe that is why NCL does not want you to leave without a passport. You MUST have one now to travel by air.

I explained that it's not easy for us to "just get a passport" because of our personal circumstance. If it was that easy for us, I would have gone down to the post office weeks ago.

You state "You need a passport as of 2008." That's NCL's policy, the government has stated that they will not be required for Carib/Mex/ Bahamas cruises until the summer of '08.

I'm not implying that it is 'easy' for you. I am saying though that this law has been in the works for years, it's not a new sudden change of events. So while I am sorry that you may miss your cruise.... this has been around for a while.

NCL may loose business or it may gain business as what ever false sense of security it provides people may feel better about everyone being 'government okayed' for being on the ship.

Personally it makes no difference to me wether everyone has a passport or not. Was just as annoyed I needed one to fly into the states. Just saying take whatever means it takes to get one, or see if your insurance would cover you to back out of the cruise and go with one of the other lines.

This must be the nine-hundredth thread on the topic of passports in the past four years.

JUST GET A PASSPORT ALREADY!

It's good for ten years! You won't have to worry about it anymore!

**bangs head on desk**

I hope you didn't hurt your head.

Have you read posts in the thread, or just scanned them? I've repeatedly said it's not easy for us to JUST GET A PASSPORT ALREADY!

I have followed both threads and have meant to ask:

Didn't you *still* need a notarized permission letter from the non-custodial parent to take the child out of country? Even when using only the birth certificate as proof of citizenship?

It just seems that you might've had these problems with the other parent no matter what.

I understand the expense complaint from people surprised by the changes but a passport really is a necessary part of travel.

If your spouse is unable to get the passport with you, you may need to get a power of attorney for that purpose (I did when my husband was out of the country for an extended period and I needed to renew my children's passports years ago).

Believe me, we are more than eager to get passports for the two members of our party who don't; I assure you there are no citizenship issues or problems with the law, everything is good to go, except for a special circumstance which a prior poster alluded to.

And. thanks to MichellP in pointing out that the process is not as simple as it may seem in certain instances.

I sympatize with your issue but to be honest, your personal problems aren't a concern to NCL. You ceertainly can't blame the cruise line for what is a problem that you need to deal with yourself.

I do hope all your personal 'red tape' can be eliminated and that you can get the passports you need.

I sympatize with your issue but to be honest, your personal problems aren't a concern to NCL. You ceertainly can't blame the cruise line for what is a problem that you need to deal with yourself.

I do hope all your personal 'red tape' can be eliminated and that you can get the passports you need.

How would you feel if you filled out the Advanced Guest Registration form, required by NCL, a week or so before plunking down a sizeable sum at final payment, and one of the options given for proof of citizenship for our sailing was (and still was as of last night) State Issued Birth Certificate, then checked that, and the summary page showed that person, and all in that booking, as Registered?

I certainly feel that NCL should not be given a free ride when an option that they give on one of the forms that they require is contrary to what they state as their policy.

As I've said, I've had numerous discussions with NCL about this, I get a bunch of apologies, but that's about it.

How would you feel if you filled out the Advanced Guest Registration form, required by NCL, a week or so before plunking down a sizeable sum at final payment, and one of the options given for proof of citizenship for our sailing was (and still was as of last night) State Issued Birth Certificate, then checked that, and the summary page showed that person, and all in that booking, as Registered?

I certainly feel that NCL should not be given a free ride when an option that they give on one of the forms that they require is contrary to what they state as their policy.

As I've said, I've had numerous discussions with NCL about this, I get a bunch of apologies, but that's about it.

Stop calling do you think the CSR's have authority to change this or even their supervisors? Sit down and write a snail mail to Colin Veitch. You can bang you head against the wall too for all the good it will do you. If you want to get some action take the time to write a letter and see what kind of response you get.

My daughter is 14, been cruising with me for years.....Every year I get have the ex sign a notarized copy of the parent form. Some years they ask for it, some years they dont.

I got my daughter her passport a few years ago. Much easier than a birth certificate......Plus she uses it as an ID (bank, using debit card, airlines).....

My father was dating a lovely woman last year. They were planning a cruise, but her parents had brought her to this country 50 years ago, she never became a citizen, therefore, she didnt have a passport and couldnt go on the cruise....So I guess everyone has their reasons....

Some posters have mentioned that if you can afford to cruise, you can afford to get a passport. Unfortunately that's not always the case. I put together a family cruise for May 2008, and for some groups it was the reason they can't go. My cousins have 4 kids and they have never traveled out of the country and don't have passports. They could squeeze the cruise into their budget with a lot of thrifting, but not an additional $600. They've never cruised before and were only considering it because it was a family gathering.

Helpful hint- If you have difficulty getting to a passport office between the usual business hours of 9-5, check with your public library. We made an appointment with them for a Saturday morning, provided them with the necessary documents and received our passports within a short time.

I can sympathise with the issue of children and divorce - I am in that situation too. However, we do not take the children on cruises. Never seriously considered it, for reasons other than a passport. That's adult time, in my book. I take the kids on domestic trips.

I can sympathise with the issue of children and divorce - I am in that situation too. However, we do not take the children on cruises. Never seriously considered it, for reasons other than a passport. That's adult time, in my book. I take the kids on domestic trips.

We've done both scenarios, like it either way, but understand your point about "adult time." There are more challenges on a cruise with kids, more than just the passport issue.

If indeed the government decides passports are not necessary until such and such dates, NCL will follow the guidelines: My personal opinion, passports should be mandatory for anyone leaving and entering our country whether by air, land or sea. I hope the OP can get the problems worked out, but I also hope our government does require them, sooner rather than later.

Nita

If indeed the government decides passports are not necessary until such and such dates, NCL will follow the guidelines: My personal opinion, passports should be mandatory for anyone leaving and entering our country whether by air, land or sea. I hope the OP can get the problems worked out, but I also hope our government does require them, sooner rather than later.

Nita

The government has set the date for passports for sea travel as the summer of 2008, and NCL has not followed suit, as yet.

The government has set the date for passports for sea travel as the summer of 2008, and NCL has not followed suit, as yet.

These dates keep changing, no one knows if NCL will follow or not, if they choose to keep the plan as is, I guess we will have to live with it. Beleive me, I stand firm on feeling all who travel out of the country should have passports.

I do feel for you and your situation as many here do, but what NCL decides to do can not be based on a few very situations.

I do hope your X comes to her senses about this. She is hurting her own child.

Nita

I hope you didn't hurt your head.

Have you read posts in the thread, or just scanned them? I've repeatedly said it's not easy for us to JUST GET A PASSPORT ALREADY!

OK...we get it. But read the posts in the thread....or just scan them :rolleyes: !!

You've pointed out that it is not "easy" to get a passport...you never said it was impossible.

Some things are just not easy. Do what it takes...get the passport...and move on. Enjoy your cruise.

Note: Your kids ARE worth the extra effort!

OK...we get it. But read the posts in the thread....or just scan them :rolleyes: !!

You've pointed out that it is not "easy" to get a passport...you never said it was impossible.

Some things are just not easy. Do what it takes...get the passport...and move on. Enjoy your cruise.

Note: Your kids ARE worth the extra effort!

The interesting thing to me when talking about the passports is that everyone forgets that one of the original requirements to have a passport was 1/07 (maybe even 1/06, I can't remember) but then it was pushed back to 1/08 and now it's pushed back to summer 08...so why people are complaining is beyond me.

The interesting thing to me when talking about the passports is that everyone forgets that one of the original requirements to have a passport was 1/07 (maybe even 1/06, I can't remember) but then it was pushed back to 1/08 and now it's pushed back to summer 08...so why people are complaining is beyond me.

Why I'm complaining? Because I booked this cruise ONLY for the reason that the WHTI was pushed back by the government until summer 2008. There is no way I would have booked if that hadn't occurred. My TA and I were under the impression that we were good to go. And, as I've detailed, one of the forms that NCL requires gave (and still gives) "State Issued Birth Certificate" as an option for proof of citizenship when I filled out that form before putting down a substantial final payment.

Why I'm complaining? Because I booked this cruise ONLY for the reason that the WHTI was pushed back by the government until summer 2008. There is no way I would have booked if that hadn't occurred. My TA and I were under the impression that we were good to go. And, as I've detailed, one of the forms that NCL requires gave (and still gives) "State Issued Birth Certificate" as an option for proof of citizenship when I filled out that form before putting down a substantial final payment.

Well why don't you have your TA call NCL...however, I think where there is a will there is a way. good luck to you

Well why don't you have your TA call NCL...however, I think where there is a will there is a way. good luck to you

My TA has called, as have others in her organization. I've called NCL many times. MY SO has called NCL. There also are other avenues we're working on now.

I honestly didn't start this forum for the purpose of bad mouthing NCL. I still am hoping someone from NCL has read, or will read the posts, and see that NCL policy on this matter has some significant flaws.

Passport problems aside, cruisers have it easier than just about every other type of international traveler. The only government agency you usually ever deal with is the US Immigration and Customs at the end of the cruise.

With all the countries we visit, there are no hassles getting off the ship over there. No one checks anything except the ship credentials and maybe ID. It's a world of difference from entering most countries.

Maybe we sometimes take all the convenience that we have as cruisers for granted.

Archived