NCL, look at what the competition is doing re:passports!

Former Goalie

There has been no formal date set, just an estimate of Summer 2008.

I stand corrected (although I'm off only marginally), here is the text pertaining to land and sea travel from the DOS web site:

SUMMER 2008

At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and DOS expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

I stand corrected (although I'm off only marginally), here is the text pertaining to land and sea travel from the DOS web site:

SUMMER 2008

At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and DOS expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

The State Department announced these changes in June of 2007. NCL's website was updated prior to that according to the previously available information (which is reflected here). They have not yet updated their info since a precise date is not known yet. If US Immigration officials do not require a passport it is extremely unlikely (not impossible, just very unlikely) that NCL can MAKE anyone have one until such time. My guess is that they just haven't updated their info on this subject until they know more. Coupled with the lack of good communication with their phone reps, this oversight has created for you the situation you are now experiencing.

My suggestion to you is that if you can possibly achieve a truce with your ex-spouse, I would suggest you do so for the safety of your minor children when they travel abroad. A passport affords you much better protection and identification while traveling abroad regardless of the regulations requiring them or not. It is in both parents interests to put this issue of safety ahead of any other dispute. Eventually, all travel outside of US boundaries will require them, and your future travel will certainly be limited without them.

If you left the US without a passport, then for some horrible unforseen reason missed the ship (broke leg and were in the emergency room, etc, etc) you could not fly back to the US without a passport. I believe that is why NCL does not want you to leave without a passport. You MUST have one now to travel by air.

This issue has been addressed many times.....you can come home again. :) The officials won't make you stay in some beautiful Caribbean island forever. (darn!) While it may be a hassle, there are special exceptions made and you can fly home in emergencies without a passport.

Hi FormerGoalie,

RCCL changed their website to sync up with the revsion to WHTI just this week. I spoke with representatives from RCCL and DHS and both sides were just too confused so I pointed out the revised date to Summer 2008 on the DHS' website. Of course both sides said the PC thing to say "just get your passport to be on the safe side." I think NCL just might be a little slow on the uptake. I think you will be fine. (Again, this is just MHO) but I really do feel strongly that you should be fine. I think they'll revise the NCL requirements to line up with Rule .

With that being said I'm going to wish you a wonderful vacation!

I understand the frustration with NCL's obvious confusion over their own policies, but I agree that they are likely still trying to figure it out for themselves. That doesn't help anyone and I know it must be terribly frustrating. Sadly, even if you are able to take this holiday, it will likely be your last one until you can get the passport issue resolved. I wish you the best of luck in the matter.

I hate hearing about exes that do everything in their power to make things difficult. Look at it from their point of view though... you weren't happy with them, so if you could find happiness elsewhere it might mean they're ***holes, and who wants to admit that? Like you couldn't have just told them - and may have already! :p Hey, that's why we call them 'exes', right?

The State Department announced these changes in June of 2007. NCL's website was updated prior to that according to the previously available information (which is reflected here). They have not yet updated their info since a precise date is not known yet. If US Immigration officials do not require a passport it is extremely unlikely (not impossible, just very unlikely) that NCL can MAKE anyone have one until such time. My guess is that they just haven't updated their info on this subject until they know more. Coupled with the lack of good communication with their phone reps, this oversight has created for you the situation you are now experiencing.

My suggestion to you is that if you can possibly achieve a truce with your ex-spouse, I would suggest you do so for the safety of your minor children when they travel abroad. A passport affords you much better protection and identification while traveling abroad regardless of the regulations requiring them or not. It is in both parents interests to put this issue of safety ahead of any other dispute. Eventually, all travel outside of US boundaries will require them, and your future travel will certainly be limited without them.

Believe me, there is no lack of cooperation on our end to get this done. The other party holds all the cards.

I am in total agreement about passports when traveling, we would like to have them, but the road blocks are sizeable.

Like you, I find it likely that NCL will revise its rules to merge with DOS policy, the timing of that event, if it were to occur, would be anyone's guess. What should be taken into account here IMHO is requiring passports prior to when other cruise lines and the government requires them would rule out a sizeable market for NCL. There is a whole market out there well beyond the travel savvy cruise critic type folks, and I'd be willing to hazard a guess that not a lot of that market has passports, as yet.

Also IMHO, as a private company, NCL can require passengers to do as it wishes, even if it is more restrictive than govt. policy, such is the case in this instance.

Hi FormerGoalie,

RCCL changed their website to sync up with the revsion to WHTI just this week. I spoke with representatives from RCCL and DHS and both sides were just too confused so I pointed out the revised date to Summer 2008 on the DHS' website. Of course both sides said the PC thing to say "just get your passport to be on the safe side." I think NCL just might be a little slow on the uptake. I think you will be fine. (Again, this is just MHO) but I really do feel strongly that you should be fine. I think they'll revise the NCL requirements to line up with Rule .

With that being said I'm going to wish you a wonderful vacation!

Thank you SO much for that happy vacation wish in advance!

I knew that RCL had changed it's policy, and that brought Celebrity and Azamara on board. So, NCl is an exception, not the rule, among the mass market lines now.

Thanks again!

Alright, I just sat here and read through every post in this topic...

First of all, NCL can MAKE their passangers be REQUIRED to have a passport even if the the US Govt doesn't require it yet. Did you ever think that maybe NCL wanted to cover their own a** just in case something god forbid happened on a cruise.

Or Did you ever think NCL wanted to be proactive and take the step before the Govt does?

Did you ever think that NCL wanted to kind of "condition" it's passangers before the change went into effect so that you know that if you cruise NCL you HAVE to have a passport so, that when the change went into effect it wouldn't be as much as a problem as it might be for as you say "The Competition"?

Yes, cruise lines all have different rules, its the same thing with Alcohol rules and rules concerning how old you have to be to stay in a room with someone else.

For example: On NCL you can drink beer and wine at 18, but no hard alcohol while on Carnival you have to be 21 to consume any alcohol. Or this one, on NCL to book a room with someone under 21 there has to be atleast someone over 21 in the room, but on Carnival someone has to be over 25 for a room to be booked with someone under 21. Rules are different from cruise line to cruise line deal with it.

Did you ever think to maybe research this BEFORE you even put your deposit down for the cruise, let alone your FINAL Payment?

So, maybe a little earlier research would have saved you this trouble.

Now, i've been on 4 cruise already with one planned for the whitsunday islands in Australia and another one planned for my Senior year college Spring Break. I am only 21 and a world traveler, I am currently in Australia studying abroad, I know the difficulties of traveling internationally, but the key to traveling abroad weather by ship, land, or air is to do your research on everything. Once you know what your getting yourself into, you know what to expect and not to expect along the way, you know how much to budget, you know your limits. I started planning for my 4 months in Australia months before I left and everything is going great, got my Visa and got through customs in a sinch and the key was research my friend.

Cheers, Mate!

First of all, NCL can MAKE their passangers be REQUIRED to have a passport even if the the US Govt doesn't require it yet. Did you ever think that maybe NCL wanted to cover their own a** just in case something god forbid happened on a cruise.

Or Did you ever think NCL wanted to be proactive and take the step before the Govt does?

Did you ever think that NCL wanted to kind of "condition" it's passangers before the change went into effect so that you know that if you cruise NCL you HAVE to have a passport so, that when the change went into effect it wouldn't be as much as a problem as it might be for as you say "The Competition"?

Yes, cruise lines all have different rules, its the same thing with Alcohol rules and rules concerning how old you have to be to stay in a room with someone else.

For example: On NCL you can drink beer and wine at 18, but no hard alcohol while on Carnival you have to be 21 to consume any alcohol. Or this one, on NCL to book a room with someone under 21 there has to be atleast someone over 21 in the room, but on Carnival someone has to be over 25 for a room to be booked with someone under 21. Rules are different from cruise line to cruise line deal with it.

Did you ever think to maybe research this BEFORE you even put your deposit down for the cruise, let alone your FINAL Payment?

Now, i've been on 4 cruise already with one planned for the whitsunday islands in Australia and another one planned for my Senior year college Spring Break. I am only 21 and a world traveler, I am currently in Australia studying abroad, I know the difficulties of traveling internationally, but the key to traveling abroad weather by ship, land, or air is to do your research on everything. Once you know what your getting yourself into, you know what to expect and not to expect along the way, you know how much to budget, you know your limits. I started planning for my 4 months in Australia months before I left and everything is going great, got my Visa and got through customs in a sinch and the key was research my friend.

Cheers, Mate!

? sure they can require it but your reasons are not sensible. I am sure this was put on last year when the rule was supposed to be effective 1/1/08. I would expect they will come into line when someone realizes the new rule or when the government finally announces the actual effective date. Yes you should do research but a company requiring a passport when the government doesn't require it is not good business sense and may also be considered discriminatory.

Cheers, Mate!

Don't you find it odd that I would be given the birth certificate option on the form (Advanced Guest Registration) NCL REQUIRES ME TO FILL OUT!! IMHO, whether that is an error or not, that certainly says to me that a birth certificate is acceptable for our sailing.

One goes to different pages on NCL's site, and one can make different interpretations of its rules.

My TA and I were both under the impression that the birth certificate option was acceptable from day one.

Never, in a million years, would I have put down my final payment were the birth certificate option not accepted, and had the Guest Registration Summary not shown all pax as "Registered."

I just went through this entire thread. Why ? I am not sure but having to deal with a similar ex problem in a past life I have empathy. Clearly the solution to the problem is not here.

One way or another the OP is going to have the ex sign documents to take a minor child out of the country. Even if NCL relaxes the passport policy which logic says they will boarding could still be denied without a noterized letter from the ex. Once the passport rules do go in effect the OP will face this same problem for years if not resolved now.

There is only one person that can solve this problem and she is not at NCL :mad:

? sure they can require it but your reasons are not sensible. I am sure this was put on last year when the rule was supposed to be effective 1/1/08. I would expect they will come into line when someone realizes the new rule or when the government finally announces the actual effective date. Yes you should do research but a company requiring a passport when the government doesn't require it is not good business sense and may also be considered discriminatory.

In your estimation, it's not good business sense. From a risk mitigation perspective, it makes perfect sense. They are eliminating the risk of non-compliance when the law does come into effect as well as making sure all their "i"s are dotted and "t"s crossed before it does. Pray tell how it's considered discriminatory? By refusing services to people who won't play by their rules on their ships?

I just went through this entire thread. Why ? I am not sure but having to deal with a similar ex problem in a past life I have empathy. Clearly the solution to the problem is not here.

One way or another the OP is going to have the ex sign documents to take a minor child out of the country. Even if NCL relaxes the passport policy which logic says they will boarding could still be denied without a noterized letter from the ex. Once the passport rules do go in effect the OP will face this same problem for years if not resolved now.

There is only one person that can solve this problem and she is not at NCL :mad:[/QUO

I know it will continue to be an issue, we'll just opt for domestic land based. The kids are getting to be of the age where they are starting to have other interests, this probably will be the last of the big family vacations anyway, if it indeed happens.

In your estimation, it's not good business sense. From a risk mitigation perspective, it makes perfect sense. They are eliminating the risk of non-compliance when the law does come into effect as well as making sure all their "i"s are dotted and "t"s crossed before it does. Pray tell how it's considered discriminatory? By refusing services to people who won't play by their rules on their ships?

By creating a requirement which is not in the law that may impact more than one group than another it surely can be discriminatory. Its called discriminatory effect. lets say for example that fewer blacks have passports than whites and it makes it more difficult to travel but its not a governmental requirement yet(and therefore is not directly business related) its not like the cruise companies take responsibility for you if you leave the ship in Bermuda and need a passport to return to the US. It doesn't eliminate the risk of something that isn't in effect. Companies are not free to set up rules that have no business necessity and have a discriminatory effect. Can a company refuse to hire people because of an arrest(as opposed to a conviction) record no its because of a discriminatory effect....

FYI - I just received a "Pre-Cruise Checklist" after booking a carribean cruise through NCL for March 08 it states:

"All passengers must provide proof of citizenship when boarding the ship...we strongly recommend bringing a valid passport"

this statement in conjunction with the statement on the Dept of State's website definately clears up in my mind that I am not required to have passports for our travel in March 08. If the DOS changes the requirements they must give us 60 days notice, enough time to apply for passports and the proof of application will be sufficient to travel.

I am willing to take the chance, anyone else?:eek:

FYI - I just received a "Pre-Cruise Checklist" after booking a carribean cruise through NCL for March 08 it states:

"All passengers must provide proof of citizenship when boarding the ship...we strongly recommend bringing a valid passport"

this statement in conjunction with the statement on the Dept of State's website definately clears up in my mind that I am not required to have passports for our travel in March 08. If the DOS changes the requirements they must give us 60 days notice, enough time to apply for passports and the proof of application will be sufficient to travel.

I am willing to take the chance, anyone else?:eek:

No, I'm not willing to take the chance, and forfeit a lot of money were we to be turned away at the pier.

After reading what you have posted, it seems that NCL's policies on this matter continue to be clear as mud.

There is only one person that can solve this problem and she is not at NCL :mad:

I beg to differ with you. As long as one parent travels with the child, no notarized letter is necessary. The following is from NCL's web site:

"If the accompanying adult is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENTAL/ GUARDIAN CONSENT LETTER that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided."

Archived