Regent Still On Top

hvsteve1

San Francisco once again took the No. 1 spot among best U.S. cities in Conde Nast Traveler magazine's annual Readers' Choice Awards.

Among cruise lines, Regent Seven Seas, Grand Circle Cruise Line and Seabourn won the top three spots for best small ship lines; while Crystal Cruises, Regent Seven Seas and Disney were named best large-ship cruise lines. (Regent has both small and large vessels.)

What wories me about these ratings is the inclusion of Grand Circle Cruise Line among the best! Now let me be clear that I have never cruised any of the Grand Circle ships, but have heard and read very little but bad comments about Grand Circle. Do I have bad information? Is this a different "Grand Circle" from the one that owns the PG?

What wories me about these ratings is the inclusion of Grand Circle Cruise Line among the best! Now let me be clear that I have never cruised any of the Grand Circle ships, but have heard and read very little but bad comments about Grand Circle. Do I have bad information? Is this a different "Grand Circle" from the one that owns the PG?

Yes -- Grand Circle owns the PG (check out their website sometime -- they offer interesting, but different, package tours that include the PG). In my opinion, the PG must be the reason Grand Circle is one of the best. As a company, Grand Circle is a nightmare (have you read their ratings in the Better Business Bureau?) Perhaps Regent also gets rated for the PG because they manage it.:confused:

It also does not make much sense that Regent was rated #1 for the Navigator. Last year they beat out Crystal Cruises (by 1/10 of a point) for best large ships. Their rating system is quite confusing.

Just went to the GCT website. They have an announcement about their Conde Nast rating, etc. They list "Per Diem" for the top 10 ships. I find the first two interesting:

1. Regent Per Diem $800

2. Grand Circle Per Diem $270

I checked out 3-4 of their cruises. At least two of their cruises use "Louis Cruise Ship Lines" that hold up to 1,360 passengers. Another cruise uses Hurtigruten Norwegian Costal Ships (600 passengers) and the third. . . . the "Grand Circle Paul Gauguin". Just wanted to share.

Archived