Ok... so I didnt lose 50 pounds...

Ronrocks!

Gosh.. in April when we originally planned the cruise I thought I had so much time to get my head right and get on a diet and lose (even if it wasnt the 50 pounds).. Im so stressed right now.. thinking about pictures and wearing shorts... I have a wonderful boyfriend who loves me no matter what.. but I can't get over this panicky wanting to cry feeling.

Ive never been on a cruise but I imagine I will see all kinds of people, some bigger Im sure. I wish I could get more excited...

Gosh.. in April when we originally planned the cruise I thought I had so much time to get my head right and get on a diet and lose (even if it wasnt the 50 pounds).. Im so stressed right now.. thinking about pictures and wearing shorts... I have a wonderful boyfriend who loves me no matter what.. but I can't get over this panicky wanting to cry feeling.

Ive never been on a cruise but I imagine I will see all kinds of people, some bigger Im sure. I wish I could get more excited...

90-100% of the women on board are thinking the same thing! :p Just enjoy and have a great time (you will!). There are all shapes and sizes on the ship...just like real life!!!

Don't worry about it (even though it may be hard), concentrate on all the good things and enjoyable times that you are about to have.

Here are a few things that might help you feel better about yourself:

• In the next few days leading up to your cruise eat lots of fruit and veges, drink lots of water. This will help your skin to glow, and help with any bloating. Reduce processed foods as much as possible.
  • Focus on grooming, shiny hair, healthy skin, nice nails. I know that I notice things like this as much, if not even more than whether or not someone is a little bit heavier than ideal.
  • Do your clothes fit well (including bras etc)? Well taylored clothes can help you look like you have lost pounds. Invest in some shapewear (spanx etc) to wear under any formal wear. This helps create a smooth line under clothes.
  • Make sure you are standing up straight! Good posture helps you look slimmer.
  • Invest in a fake tan (perhaps one of those moisturisers that help build up one slowly).
  • Pick up a fantastic smelling fragrance - ask your loved one to pick one out for you that makes him - well you know;)

Have a great time!

Losing weight is a noble goal, but if you're just doing it for the cruise, had you lost it, you would only gain it right back! That's not the right motivation for dieting! But, I bet you know that, already!

What you see on the street everyday, is what you'll see on the ship--you won't be out of place!

90-100% of the women on board are thinking the same thing! :p Just enjoy and have a great time (you will!). There are all shapes and sizes on the ship...just like real life!!!

I really do know that... and Im usually a very confident person.. Im not sure why Im in such a panic. I havent bought the first item of clothing for the cruise and I think that has to do with it. I need a bathing suit first and foremost... I delayed all summer getting it... and now not one to be found. Is there any recommendation for a good quality place on the internet for bathing suits?? Im much bigger on top then the bottom so it really is an issue.... ugh.. why did I wait so long!!!!!

Awwwwwwwwww. I am so sorry. I know EXACTLY how you feel. On our cruise last summer, I was 30 pounds less than I am now. (The charts say I need to lose 60-75 pounds now.) I HATED every photo of me. So now I can't imagine how the photos will look in less than a month. BUT my husband also loves me no matter how I look, so we need to remember how lucky we are. I am close to several women whose husbands complain about their poundage, and it's A LOT less than mine! :eek: You will see all kinds on the cruise. Try to not be self-conscious and have a GREAT time. Cruising is my favorite vacation--and NOT because of the food!

Edited to add: I've had good luck with http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/ I also notice the Roamans or Lane Bryant catalog I just got this week had swimsuits in it. You'd have to pay for expedited shipping, though. Department stores like Macys or Dillards might still have some.

Robin

Don't worry about it (even though it may be hard), concentrate on all the good things and enjoyable times that you are about to have.

• In the next few days leading up to your cruise eat lots of fruit and veges, drink lots of water. This will help your skin to glow, and help with any bloating. Reduce processed foods as much as possible.
  • Focus on grooming, shiny hair, healthy skin, nice nails. I know that I notice things like this as much, if not even more than whether or not someone is a little bit heavier than ideal.
  • Do your clothes fit well (including bras etc)? Well taylored clothes can help you look like you have lost pounds. Invest in some shapewear (spanx etc) to wear under any formal wear. This helps create a smooth line under clothes.
  • Invest in a fake tan (perhaps one of those moisturisers that help build up one slowly).
  • Pick up a fantastic smelling fragrance - ask your loved one to pick one out for you that makes him - well you know;)

Have a great time!

These are all great recommendations! Okay.. my pity party is over.. I have to make sure I do something about it.. instead of whining. I still have 7 weeks... I can do a lot in 7 weeks!!!! right????? lol

Losing weight is a noble goal, but if you're just doing it for the cruise, had you lost it, you would only gain it right back! That's not the right motivation for dieting! But, I bet you know that, already!

What you see on the street everyday, is what you'll see on the ship--you won't be out of place!

I do know that... I just want to look smokin'... for myself but especially for my man..

Have a great time!

I love your response....so positive and some great suggestions. I too agree that doing any/some of the above will make you feel so much better :)

I really do know that... and Im usually a very confident person.. Im not sure why Im in such a panic. I havent bought the first item of clothing for the cruise and I think that has to do with it. I need a bathing suit first and foremost... I delayed all summer getting it... and now not one to be found. Is there any recommendation for a good quality place on the internet for bathing suits?? Im much bigger on top then the bottom so it really is an issue.... ugh.. why did I wait so long!!!!!

Get on ebay and pick up a couple of sizes of large size bathing suits. They have nice ones a lot cheaper and if you do lose the weight, then you havent lost much. Pick up a few cruise dresses as well. I had to do that last minute for my last cruise...unlike you....I gained and NOTHING I had fit any more. I wear a few tee shirts at home and let it go until almost too late. ebay to the rescue. I had to have a dress for formal night.

I do know that... I just want to look smokin'... for myself but especially for my man..

Baby you are "smokin". I love you for you, and I love you just the way you are. You can sit by my pool any day of the week. No matter what I proud of you and even more proud to be seen with you. Don't stress baby just enjoy the week we will have together!;) I love you..

Get on ebay and pick up a couple of sizes of large size bathing suits. They have nice ones a lot cheaper and if you do lose the weight, then you havent lost much. Pick up a few cruise dresses as well. I had to do that last minute for my last cruise...unlike you....I gained and NOTHING I had fit any more. I wear a few tee shirts at home and let it go until almost too late. ebay to the rescue. I had to have a dress for formal night.

This brings up a good question... What is a cruise dress?

Baby you are "smokin". I love you for you, and I love you just the way you are. You can sit by my pool any day of the week. No matter what I proud of you and even more proud to be seen with you. Don't stress baby just enjoy the week we will have together!;) I love you..

OMG!!! That is just way too sweet:p I'm jealous;) ....maybe you could have a talk w/my DH? LOL:rolleyes:

All I can say is Awwwwwwwwww!!!!! He sounds like a fabulous guy!! Y'all have a great cruise!

I love your response....so positive and some great suggestions. I too agree that doing any/some of the above will make you feel so much better :)

I'm not a huge person, but I am not a small one either - In fact I am probably your typical woman - I am never going to be a size 2, 4 or 6 - that is just not my body type, so I prefer not to dwell on it, and as long as I am a heathly weight for my height and reasonably fit then I am happy. It has taken me a long time (most of my 20s) to realise that this is a much healthier attitude. I have always been attracted to hair, make-up and beautiful, well fitting clothes and these are things you can have no matter what size you are.

so sweet!

Yes don't forget the dress for formal night. And the dress for Chops.:D O.K. I think I am done spying on you. I always wondered what you ladies talk about in the ladies room...now I know..:D

GET OUT OF THE LOCKER ROOM!!! you freak!

P.S.... yes.. I am very lucky...

I'm assuming (I know, dangerous:p ) that a "cruise dress" is either a dress for formal night or a cute sundress for day or a dressier outfit that's cute but casual for the dining room at night. I don't have specific "cruise" outfits--the dresses I wear during the day on a cruise are dresses I wear to work in the summer or over the weekends. But some people expand their wardrobes with cruise/destination specific items of clothing.

New clothing, just before a cruise, is fun--but I never buy anything I wouldn't wear at home too.

As for your weight, it doesn't matter--as has been pointed out so well in this thread. What IS important is finding clothing that fits & flatters you the size you are now--not the size you hope to be down the line. It will make a difference in how you carry yourself, improve your self-image, and so on.

Consider a long skirt and a top for formal night. And I can recommend Land's End for bathing suits, take a look at the many different styles of tankini's most of which are sold as separates so you can order different top and bottom sizes.

Not only have I not lost an ounce since our last cruise, I quit smoking so I've gained weight.

Awwee.. *sniffle*

Consider a long skirt and a top for formal night. And I can recommend Land's End for bathing suits, take a look at the many different styles of tankini's most of which are sold as separates so you can order different top and bottom sizes.

Not only have I not lost an ounce since our last cruise, I quit smoking so I've gained weight.

That's what I was thinking - separate pieces may fit you better. There are lots of cute tankini's that do cover well. I have the kind w/a skirted bottom (and they are a far cry from those granny suits :D ). And since the top is a tank style, my belly isn't showing either and I feel much more comfortable.

This is what I was going to say :)

It's nearly impossible for me to find a dress that looks good, the lower half is smaller and dresses look way too big on the bottom for me. I also avoid buying outfits that are already put together, the bottom half has to be altered too much. So, look for seperates, you will have much better luck with fit.

Lands End suits are awesome. I go into a swimming pool often in the summer, they really hold up to chlorine. I bought a cheapie this past summer, I needed one pronto and could not wait for shipping, it is already not wearable, I think I wore it a total of 10 times. The LE suits usually last me 2-3 years, going into the pool about 4 times a week.

For inexpensive (relatively speaking) separates for formal night, try JC Penney. I know a lot of people like ebay for cheap cheap prices but with size differentials like you have, I'd want to try on the pieces. And with JCP, at least if you order something, you can return it in person (catalogs/websites always seem to have greater selection & sizes than the stores do) Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx might have things in your size and GREAT prices, but their stock is unreliable (in terms of availability) so you can't count on finding something there in a single visit--I find that these stores "work best" for me if I go on a regular basis just to do a quick check of what's in stock. Good luck! Another benefit of separates is you can get one bottom and two tops and be set for two formal nights while taking up less packing space:p

Archived