Moving/Swaying Feeling, when does it stop?

vcooley

We are just back from our 1st cruise late last night and I was just wondering when the moving/swaying feeling goes away? All 4 of us constantly feel like we are moving even when we're sitting still on the couch....when does this go away? I didn't get sea sick but now I'm getting couch sick from this feeling!!! :eek:

Help Please!

Thanks

We are just back from our 1st cruise late last night and I was just wondering when the moving/swaying feeling goes away? All 4 of us constantly feel like we are moving even when we're sitting still on the couch....when does this go away? I didn't get sea sick but now I'm getting couch sick from this feeling!!! :eek:

Help Please!

Thanks

Experienced this on a cruise ship once, but when we are on our boat,(lake river etc..) it take me a couple of day's...Give it another day, you will be fine!! :)

Go ASU Sun Devils!!! :D

I remember on my first cruise, when I got off in the first port - I felt the swaying......felt like the sidewalk was moving! I also had that swaying feeling when the cruise ended - it lasted a few days.

When I got home, I was bowling on a league. Try and roll the ball down the lanes in a straight line when you are "swaying"! Too funny!! :p

I never want it to stop!!! It's like having a little bit of "left over" from my cruise...I sleep so good those few days after because of that "swaying"

Don't stop the swaying....:)

I agree with that. I love it. One time after we got back from a cruise (a few weeks) we went to a buffet for lunch and my sea legs came back. I actually loved it. Buffet was'nt as good as the Windjammer tho. ;)

Jan

This is why the old expression, those drunken sailer, came into common use in sailing ship times. Those ships had much more movement when at sea than a modern cruise ships. For the sailers, it would take quite a while to get their land legs when on shore and thus were unsteady on their feet giving the appearance that they were drunk. Of course after a long sea voyage, many times the sailer actually were drunk when on shore leave.

We experenced it a few times when we first started cruising, usually for the first day back only. Now I guess we cruise enough than it doesn't bother us amymore.

My last two cruises on the Explorer, I never felt it at all, and felt I was missing something. :(

But I've had it worse when the seas were more choppy toward the end of the cruise. It has lasted anywhere from a couple of days, to a week. I've read if it bothers you, you can take the sea sickness remedies and it works.

Showers and long halls affected me the most. :eek:

When we cruised when I was young, my mom used to always get sick and feel the swaying after we got home and I thought that was the strangest thing. :confused: Now that I'm much older I now get to feel it. I really felt it after we returned from our recent Freedom cruise, after two days I was fine but it really felt weird to have the ground moving. ;)

I have had it on nearly all my cruises and it usually lasts about 2-3 days. I kinda like it cos it feels like I am still on the ship. Funnily enough on my last cruise which was 16 nights I never felt it at all. Perhaps the answer is to take longer cruises or stay on the ship. ;) :p

My parents went on their first cruise on NCL Sun their swayinf feeling lasted a week. on the next cruise I went it was my first cruise. They had the feeling about 3 days ( as did I) but they said it was not near as bad this time (wasn't that bad for me either)... We were on RCCL AOS...It might have something to do about the size of the ship and where you are on the ship that determines how much you sway at home... Sway with the ship on the ship, sway without the land on the land;)

Here's some info about the condition:

Mal De Debarkment

This is a French word, meaning sickness after disembarking as one might get from coming off a boat. This is just the opposite of motion sickness. When a person first gets off a lengthy boat cruise, they feel as if the ground is swaying. Within a day or so this resolves. They get their "land legs" back. This is due to the brainstem resetting itself. In rare cases, the brainstem does not reset and the result is Mal de Debarkment. A person feels stable when they are in a car, on a boat or a plane moving along, but the moment they step on firm ground, they feel imbalance. This condition usually lasts for a short time but can persist for a few months. Fortunately, there are medicines that usually help this condition quite effectively.

Archived