How I got to meet the great Diamond Princess medical staff...

coolcat12

So there we were…three days into our wonderful cruise to Hawaii on board the Diamond Princess. It was lunch time and my husband and I decided to forego the Horizon Court in favor of a nice civil lunch in the dining room. I ordered an Italian style Panini sandwich and a salad. I finished my meal uneventfully except for having a coughing fit after eating the green olive that was served as a garnish with my Panini. I even snuck a few tastes of my husbands apple-apricot cobbler desert. Ymmm.

We left the dining room and took a walk around the ship and then back to our room. Went out and sat on my lovely balcony…ahhh….but wait….my underarm was itchy, must need a new brand deodorant. My nose started running…great a cold. My throat was itchy…okay getting a wicked bad cold. My gums are tingling so I must need to brush my teeth so I go into the bathroom and then I get first the first glance at my neck and the big red welt developing. What the heck? I have them all over me…ewe! What’s up with my blurred vision and racing heartbeat? Why is my husband now dragging me down to deck 4 and why does he have that concerned look???

Fast forward 10 minutes and you will find me in the ship’s infirmary hooked up to the EKG and getting a shot in the backside. I have a food allergy? How can that be? I am 44 years old and have eaten EVERYTHING. I love food. I struggle not to be a plus plus dress size.

The ship’s staff was very nice and helpful and I was feeling better almost immediately. The total bill was $110 including the shot, some pills and an advisement by the doctor to get allergy tested when I got back home.

I am just glad I didn’t eat at the buffet and then had this happen. Since I ate at in the dining room I only had a few foods as possible culprits. Can you imagine if I had been to the buffet? I would have had a veritable grocery list of foods. (something like….six cookies, taste of one beef dish, one chicken dish, three fish dishes, fruit, bread and the curried whatever of the day!….)

It was comforting to know that the ship's medical staff was there to help me while we were smack dab between Los Angeles and Hawaii. The dining room staff even gave me a copy of the lunch menu so I could avoid the whatever that tried to kill me!:rolleyes:

OMG! Glad you were ok. I had a similar reaction this summer (actually 4 times w/in 2 weeks) but not as severe. Thought it was shrimp, but one incident didn't involve shrimp. I wrote everything down in case I decided to get tested for allergies. I still may do that after reading your post, it reminded me about it.

Glad that you were OK and pleased with the medical attention on the Diamond. We're planning for that trip in December. We have needed to visit the med center on a couple of Princess cruises and they have always been great for us. Glad to know this is true on the Diamond too. Thanks for posting, and hope you find the cause of your problem. When we were on the Island Princess last year DH got bitten by an unknown insect of some kind while touring Akaka Falls in a rental car, and he had good care by the med staff on that ship too. I also have to applaud Thrifty Car Rental. We were about 13 miles out of Hilo when he had his problem and passed out. Called medics and was taken to Hilo Hospital. They were wonderful there and Thrifty sent someone to pick up the car so I could go with him in the ambulance. They did al kinds of tests at the hospital and then released him to get back on board where we reported to the ship's Dr. That was our last stop, so we had a stressful five day return on the ocean, but no more problems.

Bucky: How scary.....

I was burnt while picking up a serving tong, in line at the Buffet, on the Norwegian Star.

The crew (in the buffet area) were wonderful and the ships doctor was also very nice and helpful....

Unbelieveable how bad a burn can get from hot serving devices.......

...diligently wearing my anti-sea sickness patches behind my ears. Had never used them before until my Diamond Princess cruise...turns out that in some cases, they cause extreme pupil dilation. I could barely see as my husband steered me toward the medical clinic. The very kind staff took one look at my pupils, immediately ripped off the patches, scrubbed my neck with antiseptic, and advised me to keep scrubbing over the next 24-36 hours. All was clear (literally!) by the next morning. They were great and very professional.

After reading many, many posts regarding the horrible medical care on various ships, it's good to finally read some that tell of good experiences. I was having a hard time imagining that no adequate medical ever took place on any ship. :rolleyes: Thanks to all of you for telling the other side.

After reading many, many posts regarding the horrible medical care on various ships, it's good to finally read some that tell of good experiences. I was having a hard time imagining that no adequate medical ever took place on any ship. :rolleyes: Thanks to all of you for telling the other side.

I thought the same thing :)

"I thought the same thing "

I would have too, if I based my thinking on most of what is written here about people's experiences with onboard medical care. But I had great AND APPROPRIATE care on the Coral Princess several years ago, when I was injured during an excursion in Jamaica. I can say the "appropriate" part because I am an RN (now retired).

I was able to chat with the RNs onboard and learned that they and the onboard Drs. are required to have the same advanced cardiac life support certification that American medical personnel must have when they work in emergency , intensive care, and cardiac units of hospitals. They also have the same emergency equipment that American hospitals use.

Anyway, it's is good that people are posting about GOOD experiences with the medical care received onboard, not just the occasional less-than- satisfactory ones that are usually the topic of posts.

So glad to hear that you're okay :) but I want to join the other posters in urging you to have testing to determine the source of your allergy. Reactions definitely can become more severe and my DD carries (and has recently had to use) an Epi-pen due to a tree nut allergy that has, in fact, grown worse with each very limited exposure.

Also good to hear a positive experience regarding Princess's medical treatment.

The total bill was $110 including the shot, some pills and an advisement by the doctor to get allergy tested when I got back home.

I'm sure it was the best $110 you spent on the cruise, but I'm curious to know if your personal medical insurance or your cruise insurance covered the bill.

DH and I were on the Carnival Destiny a couple of weeks ago and he told me he wasn't feeling well. We got separated shortly after that and I kind of freaked out worried if something had happened to him. I even went down to the infirmary to see if he was there... No, he wasn't there (thank goodness!). Of course I then noticed that no one was there. They were only open during the daytime. I guess if you become ill after 5, you're SOL. :eek:

Coolcat, I'm very glad you recovered nicely. We had a good experience with the medical staff on the QM2 two years ago. DW (advanced diabetic) got a serious infection while on land, but it went bad 1.5 days into the cruise, and she landed in the ship hospital for 4 days, and 3 more days in the hospital in NYC. The ship medical staff were wonderful and took very good care of her. During her worst night, she went unconscious with terrible vitals, and 2 doctors, 3 nurses and 2 support staff were working on her to a good conclusion. They were very skilled at what they were doing. We'll never forget her favorite nurse from England, who always called her "love!" I love that tradition!

Flamomo, it's good to hear about the training and equipment. Our $10,000 bill WAS paid by my insurance, but it's a very good insurance policy I have. I buy ship insurance for DW on cruises now.

Bill

sorry to hear about your little trip. At least you got to visit a place many cruisers do not get to see.

i can relate to the dining room grocery list , wonder if it was the olive as i am guessing it may not be an everyday food for you unless you are a martini fan!!

When I was 33 I discovered I was allergic to shell fiish. Broke out in hives for about three months.

After having second son I became allergic to penicillin, found this out after a dentist prescribed some, broke out in hives for 10 months.

:(

I'm sure it was the best $110 you spent on the cruise, but I'm curious to know if your personal medical insurance or your cruise insurance covered the bill.

I used to work for a cruiseline shoreside so the one thing I learned was to always get travel insurance...always. My Costco cruise insurance is covering the whole thing rather than acting as a secondary insurance in this instance. Normally they would have me submit to my primary insurance and they would cover the rest but they said not to worry about that and they would cover the whole thing.

Of course I then noticed that no one was there. They were only open during the daytime. I guess if you become ill after 5, you're SOL. :eek:

There is always staff on call. My husband had to call 911 from the phone directly in front of the infirmary as the doors where locked and the office was closed. A nurse answered the call and determined that I needed to be seen and she came out and let me in.

I was treated on the Sun Princess last January for an allergy to (probably) something in the cabin, either the comforter or the detergent that things were washed in. I LOVE getting treatment on a ship...those docs do NOT mess around. No, "try this cream, keep a list of things you touch" stuff you can get from docs at home. Nope, it was right on to steroids taken internally, in addition to the expected cream and antihistamine (in addition to what I already take). Knocked it out of me in an hour, and let me get back to my vacation.

Food allergies....very scary. You might need an epi-pen with you in case of future issues.

i can relate to the dining room grocery list , wonder if it was the olive as i am guessing it may not be an everyday food for you unless you are a martini fan!!

Indeed...a Martini fan! I drink martini's for the olives!:p Who knows which thing caused it. I have a call into my doctor for a referral so I will try to get this figured out.

When I was 33 I discovered I was allergic to shell fiish. Broke out in hives for about three months.

After having second son I became allergic to penicillin, found this out after a dentist prescribed some, broke out in hives for 10 months.

:(

10 months :eek:. How awful!

We also had the "opportunity" to meet the medical staff on the Diamond Princess during closed office hours.

They were great to work with and even came out to do a free quick check of my DH and DS to make sure they were okay too.

They called our cabins that evening and one other time during our cruise to make sure we were all okay. It was an expensive trip to the medical office, but well worth the individualized care they gave me. ;)

Several years ago (yikes - 1990), on the late great Royal Princess (now P&O's Artemis), my wife came down with some bug, and was "hospitalized" one day on board.

We were both very happy with the treatment provided by both the Doctor and the Nursing Staff. At this late date, I don't recall the amount of the bill, but do believe that it was covered by our insurance.

Archived