Audio Books

LynnAB

I thank God that I had my iPod and audiobooks while in DFW waiting for, no standing by, for my American Airlines flight to FLL on April 12th. Having flown in on Alaska Air, and on a share-code flight with AA, I was told Alaska Air had cancelled our flight to FLL. Now why would they do that if they checked my luggage to FLL? We had to go outside security to the counter, where someone seemed to care. He put us at the top of the standby list for the flight. 5 hours to wait, not knowing if we would get on.

Luckily I had my iPod, but not the charger. There happen to be machines where you can purchase parts for iPods, and I located a charger for $19.99, which kept 4 of us juiced for the long wait.

Happily I listened to "The Beatles" by Bob Spitz which is a great bio on how they came to be, how the music changed with the times, and how and why they broke up. It's a tribute as well as a history lesson, expecially meaningful if you grew up during the times that they were at the top of the charts.

It made the American Airlines MD80 debacle seem less infuriating.

I was 12 years old when the Beatles came to America so I think I would enjoy that bio. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

I know what you mean. My Cowon gets me through many rough waiting times! I'm totally dependent on it now and always have a great selection of books to fit any mood. I've been loading and changing the books I have stored for my upcoming b2b cruise. I can't wait!

Feel free to be a regular on this board. Jim and I are the most active posters, but we love to share book suggestions/recommendations!

Lynn

From what I'm THINKING, that may BE the best part of the whole cruise <g>. Last night, though, I was thinking the best part is probably the whole first week when you're NOT counting down the days and NOT looking at the day of the week in the elevator and being SAD every day when you see you're one day closer to the end of your vacation.

I will definitely let you know.

I'm a little confused about your cruise. Are you doing two weeks but just changing ships ... or are you sailing at different times in July?

Lynn

Somewhat of a long story but two separate cruises. It was originally one in July and one in August but then they canceled the August cruise and we had to switch to another date, the only one that fit for us (price and timing) was another July. The 1st is July 2nd (Alaska) and the 2nd is is July 26th E. Carrib.).

Jim

I thank God that I had my iPod and audiobooks while in DFW waiting for, no standing by, for my American Airlines flight to FLL on April 12th. Having flown in on Alaska Air, and on a share-code flight with AA, I was told Alaska Air had cancelled our flight to FLL. Now why would they do that if they checked my luggage to FLL? We had to go outside security to the counter, where someone seemed to care. He put us at the top of the standby list for the flight. 5 hours to wait, not knowing if we would get on.

Luckily I had my iPod, but not the charger. There happen to be machines where you can purchase parts for iPods, and I located a charger for $19.99, which kept 4 of us juiced for the long wait.

Happily I listened to "The Beatles" by Bob Spitz which is a great bio on how they came to be, how the music changed with the times, and how and why they broke up. It's a tribute as well as a history lesson, expecially meaningful if you grew up during the times that they were at the top of the charts.

It made the American Airlines MD80 debacle seem less infuriating.

The escape (either through a Novel or a factual book) is an added bonus. I have 1 and 1/2 hour commute (each way) each day and audio books help a great deal with making that time along faster.

Jim

Somewhat of a long story but two separate cruises. It was originally one in July and one in August but then they canceled the August cruise and we had to switch to another date, the only one that fit for us (price and timing) was another July. The 1st is July 2nd (Alaska) and the 2nd is is July 26th E. Carrib.).

Jim

Wow, that's different! It sounds good to me, though. I would take two cruises any way I could schedule them. I'm envious of the Alaska cruise. It's just too much money for us at this point ... airfare, extra time, excursions, etc. But I'm not complaining! I can't wait for the 10th!!!

Lynn

I have a new author and review for all to consider. Just finished listening to "The senator's Wife" by Sue Miller. An interesting account of marriage and compromises made along the way.

Jim

I have a new author and review for all to consider. Just finished listening to "The senator's Wife" by Sue Miller. An interesting account of marriage and compromises made along the way.

Jim

Hi, Jim,

So many times you suggest an author that I haven't read yet but have THOUGHT about checking out. I've now put Sue Miller on my list, thanks to you!!!

Lynn

I just bought James Patterson Sundays at

Tiffanys and am about to start Dale Brown's Stike Force.

Kay

Sundays at Tiffanys is one of the next books I'm going to get, too! Sounds good!!!

Any other suggestions?

Lynn

Lynn, Have you read Fern Michaels? She has a series of books about this group of revenge seeking women. Most of it is really funny mixed with the mystery and outrageousness.

Kay

Hi, Kay,

I absolutely LOVE Fern Michaels' books I haven't read any of the revenge-seeking women, although I know exactly which ones you mean. Are they good/fun? I was thinking they were going to be serious nasty revenge type books and I just avoided them. Would you recommend them?

Lynn

Hi guys, I bet you though I had dropped of the face of the earth!! Life has been major crazy lately plus I have gotten mixed up with a crazy group on another cruise board. Just bought Sundays at Tiffany's, haven't listened to it yet. I'm listening to Amanda Quick right now The Paid Companion. If you are looking for something light and silly look for Mary Janice Davidson's Undead series it is enjoyable. Less than two months until cruise time can't wait!!!

Hi guys, I bet you though I had dropped of the face of the earth!! Life has been major crazy lately plus I have gotten mixed up with a crazy group on another cruise board. Just bought Sundays at Tiffany's, haven't listened to it yet. I'm listening to Amanda Quick right now The Paid Companion. If you are looking for something light and silly look for Mary Janice Davidson's Undead series it is enjoyable. Less than two months until cruise time can't wait!!!

YES, I thought you abandoned us <g>. I'm glad you're back!!!

I don't know about vampires, though ... doesn't sound like ME, but I know her books are VERY popular.

Lynn

Trust me there is very little that is dark or sinister in them, they are a crack up.

Sounds great! I've added them to my list of must haves!!! Thank you!!!

Lynn

Hi, Kay,

I absolutely LOVE Fern Michaels' books...... I was thinking they were going to be serious nasty revenge type books and I just avoided them. Would you recommend them?

Lynn

Lynn,

I have really enjoyed Fern Michaels but then I love mysteries, crime and spies; we share audio books at work. There was only one that had some really mean scenes, but for the most part they re funny, I think. Hope you enjoy.

Kay

Love to hear about Sunday's at Tiffany's when you get into it. How is The Paid Companion?

Lynn, have a GREAT b2b cruise!!! Enjoy yourself to the max.

Jim

Thank you, Jim,

I know YOU know how much I'm looking forward to this. My stomach is starting to do flip-flops from anxiety and anticipation. I can't wait. TWO more days of work. Then we get up EARLY on Saturday, race around, drop our puppies off, and head to the port (for the umpteenth time this year since we've been going just to visit and take pictures from the causeway). Finally the horn honking on the causeway will be for US.

If the webcam is working properly, you might be able to watch me sail away (like you care ... but you never know). Here's the site anyway, in case you don't have it and would like it for future reference.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/miami/?cam=biscaynebay

I will be sure to give you a review of the b2b when I return. I'll miss our "book chats."

Lynn

Thank you, Jim,

I know YOU know how much I'm looking forward to this. My stomach is starting to do flip-flops from anxiety and anticipation. I can't wait. TWO more days of work. Then we get up EARLY on Saturday, race around, drop our puppies off, and head to the port (for the umpteenth time this year since we've been going just to visit and take pictures from the causeway). Finally the horn honking on the causeway will be for US.

If the webcam is working properly, you might be able to watch me sail away (like you care ... but you never know). Here's the site anyway, in case you don't have it and would like it for future reference.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/miami/?cam=biscaynebay

I will be sure to give you a review of the b2b when I return. I'll miss our "book chats."

Lynn

We can catch up then, enjoy and thanks for the webcam...remember to wave!!

We can catch up then, enjoy and thanks for the webcam...remember to wave!!

Of course I'll wave! Look for me! You know what I look like from my avatar, and we'll be at the bow of the ship.

Lynn

Of course I'll wave! Look for me! You know what I look like from my avatar, and we'll be at the bow of the ship.

Lynn

That and the fact that you will be the one with smile from ear to ear jumping up and down...

That and the fact that you will be the one with smile from ear to ear jumping up and down...

Yeah ... the jumping up and down is going to give me away, isn't it? Once I get on that ship, I'll be sooooooooooo happy. It seems like sooooooo far away, though, in some ways because I'm still working, took depos today that I have to transcribe tonight, am racing around cleaning everything in sight because I'm COMPULSIVE about having a squeaky clean, organized house to come home to ... and I have to work tomorrow. Oh, yeah ... and finish packing. Wow, I'd better get moving. Time for another load of laundry.

Lynn

Yeah ... the jumping up and down is going to give me away, isn't it? Once I get on that ship, I'll be sooooooooooo happy. It seems like sooooooo far away, though, in some ways because I'm still working, took depos today that I have to transcribe tonight, am racing around cleaning everything in sight because I'm COMPULSIVE about having a squeaky clean, organized house to come home to ... and I have to work tomorrow. Oh, yeah ... and finish packing. Wow, I'd better get moving. Time for another load of laundry.

Lynn

Wow, seeing your countdown clock at 0 days 15 hours really sends it home.

Wow, seeing your countdown clock at 0 days 15 hours really sends it home.

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It feels soooooooooooo strange ... kind of surreal <g>. I guess I'd really better get serious about going over my lists again. I worked all morning downtown, but now I'm officially ON VACATION. Where is the steel band? Oh, darn. I have to be ON the ship for that.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, seeing your countdown clock at 0 days 15

hours really sends it home.

Hi, Jim,

I'M BACK ... and I'm in post-cruise depression mode right now <g>.

We had an absolutely PERFECT cruise. I can't believe how wonderful it was from start to finish.

A back-to-back is the BEST, BEST, BEST way to cruise. I didn't get that sad feeling half way through the first week because I knew I wouldn't have to get off the ship. It was amazing!

I'll probably keep writing bits and pieces about the cruise ... and can answer any questions you have ... but I'm still finishing up laundry and organizing stuff tonight. I just wanted to touch base and say hello!!!

Talk to you soon,

Lynn