Audio Books

LynnAB

Yeah, I agree. Almost made me stop listening, just kind of frustrating, especially since I had just finished the other book. I did fast forward a bit to get to new territory. Anyway, listen to Dead Ringer first.

Jim

I definitely will, but I feel sad for you now. That's putting a damper on it!

I decided to put Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series on my TBR list after all. I've READ most of them ... at least two-thirds of them I'm thinking ... up until a few summers ago. I can't remember where I stopped because I just kind of moved on to something else. Actually, I'm not really sure WHY I stopped because I thought they were very funny. Anyway, I'm thinking they'll be EVEN MORE fun to LISTEN to, so I'm going to get them all from the library (assuming they have all of them).

I got Plum Lovin' yesterday, which is only 3 discs. Apparently it's kind of a novella and entitled "between the numbers," so that might be fun. It's like when J.E. came out with Visions of Sugarplums for Christmas. Plum Lovin' is supposedly being issued around Valentine's Day ... sort of <g>.

Anyway, J.E. is going on my TBR list.

Another series I'd LIKE to pick up in audio is Sue Grafton's books. I read a bunch of them but, again, stopped years ago and think they might be fun in audio.

Those are the kind of mysteries I like, but I'm still CONSIDERING trying a Robert Parker. Are any of his series NOT too rough for me <g>? Or is that a bad choice for me in general?

What about Sara Paretsky?

I guess I'm hunting for another Lisa Scottoline <g>.

I definitely will, but I feel sad for you now. That's putting a damper on it!

I decided to put Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series on my TBR list after all. I've READ most of them ... at least two-thirds of them I'm thinking ... up until a few summers ago. I can't remember where I stopped because I just kind of moved on to something else. Actually, I'm not really sure WHY I stopped because I thought they were very funny. Anyway, I'm thinking they'll be EVEN MORE fun to LISTEN to, so I'm going to get them all from the library (assuming they have all of them).

I got Plum Lovin' yesterday, which is only 3 discs. Apparently it's kind of a novella and entitled "between the numbers," so that might be fun. It's like when J.E. came out with Visions of Sugarplums for Christmas. Plum Lovin' is supposedly being issued around Valentine's Day ... sort of <g>.

Anyway, J.E. is going on my TBR list.

Another series I'd LIKE to pick up in audio is Sue Grafton's books. I read a bunch of them but, again, stopped years ago and think they might be fun in audio.

Those are the kind of mysteries I like, but I'm still CONSIDERING trying a Robert Parker. Are any of his series NOT too rough for me <g>? Or is that a bad choice for me in general?

What about Sara Paretsky?

I guess I'm hunting for another Lisa Scottoline <g>.

Actually it has gotten much better since I got over that part. I would recommend the rest of Evanovich books, although I have not read Plum lovin. As far as Parker, the Jesse Stone are all really good and the Sunny Randell series. Try one, if you get too grossed/bummed out then I would not go further. I have never read anything by Sara Parestky.

Jim

The new book by Dean Koontz is The Darkest Evening of the Year. One of the main characters is a Golden Retriever. I love the way he portraits dogs in his writing.

YES, I do remember it now. I will always love Watchers, one of my absolute favorites, mostly because of the Golden Retriever. While he can as about as dark a writer as I have seen, I still enjoy his books. Kinda makes me want to stay out of California....lol. Let me know how it is.

Jim

I think it is a great idea to get the Janet Evanovich series and to go from start to finish. I love her books. The first book of hers I checked out was High Five I was unaware it was a series. I was listening to the book while working on some beading & I was laughing so hard tears were running down my face and I couldn't see what I was doing. :D My husband was annoyed because I kept bursting out laughing and he couldn't concentrate on his paper. :rolleyes:

As for Robert Parker try the Sunny Randell series first. I have read Paretsky but I don't remember if the were particularly gory.

I think it is a great idea to get the Janet Evanovich series and to go from start to finish. I love her books. The first book of hers I checked out was High Five I was unaware it was a series. I was listening to the book while working on some beading & I was laughing so hard tears were running down my face and I couldn't see what I was doing. :D My husband was annoyed because I kept bursting out laughing and he couldn't concentrate on his paper. :rolleyes:

As for Robert Parker try the Sunny Randell series first. I have read Paretsky but I don't remember if the were particularly gory.

BEADING? I love beading! Okay, I only do really basic stuff, but I'm having a lot of FUN with it. I tend to do a lot of stringing of beads that I like (Swarovski, in particular), but it makes me happy. I've taken two basic classes, one of which was basic wire work. I'm better at stringing, though <g>.

That's what I'm thinking, too ... I'm going to listen to the whole series in a row. That should be FUN.

Lynn

Actually it has gotten much better since I got over that part. I would recommend the rest of Evanovich books, although I have not read Plum lovin. As far as Parker, the Jesse Stone are all really good and the Sunny Randell series. Try one, if you get too grossed/bummed out then I would not go further. I have never read anything by Sara Parestky.

Jim

Sounds good, Jim.

Here's something ironic. I met two of my female friends for lunch today. They're both writers. One writer cozy mystery/romantic sci fi, and the other writes romance. We were discussing what we're each reading right now. The romance writer, who loves a lot of the same authors that I do, said I should read ROBERT PARKER'S books!!! Doesn't that just FIGURE? She said they're a riot and very, very good. She's reading the Spenser ones right now. AND she compared them to male versions of Janet Evanovich ... to give me a comparison. UNBELIEVABLE!

I just had to share THAT!!!

Lynn

Speaking of great books turning into disappointing movies (yeah I know nobody was speaking of this but I was thinking about it.....anyway:)), I was looking forward to the movie they made of watchers and it was really bad. Not only did they change the plot they did a terrible job on the movie itself.

Jim

Sounds good, Jim.

Here's something ironic. I met two of my female friends for lunch today. They're both writers. One writer cozy mystery/romantic sci fi, and the other writes romance. We were discussing what we're each reading right now. The romance writer, who loves a lot of the same authors that I do, said I should read ROBERT PARKER'S books!!! Doesn't that just FIGURE? She said they're a riot and very, very good. She's reading the Spenser ones right now. AND she compared them to male versions of Janet Evanovich ... to give me a comparison. UNBELIEVABLE!

I just had to share THAT!!!

Lynn

Don't ever doubt me.......lol

Don't ever doubt me.......lol

To be quite honest, I do NOT doubt you <g>. I truly value your opinions and enjoy our chats here.

One of my friends that I met today has been on the Alaska cruise and LOVED it. Oh, yes, isn't that what YOU said? Go figure <g>.

Lynn

They are funny, but they are macho as well. Very light reads/listens. Try one, let me know what you think

Jim

Oh, I can handle macho <g>. I will let you know what I think when I get to reading one ... after I get back from Egypt via Scotland <lol>. I think I need a map.

Lynn

Oh, I can handle macho <g>. I will let you know what I think when I get to reading one ... after I get back from Egypt via Scotland <lol>. I think I need a map.

Lynn

My you do get around and thats only this week!!

To be quite honest, I do NOT doubt you <g>. I truly value your opinions and enjoy our chats here.

One of my friends that I met today has been on the Alaska cruise and LOVED it. Oh, yes, isn't that what YOU said? Go figure <g>.

Lynn

I would NEVER lead you astray, but having it reinforced by someone else always goes a ways as a check for my sanity.... :p

I would NEVER lead you astray, but having it reinforced by someone else always goes a ways as a check for my sanity.... :p

Somehow I trust you! A fellow audio book listener person HAS to be trustworthy, right?

Lynn

I have to admit when my friend suggested Robert Parker, I went a little crazy at the table in the restaurant. I just thought that was incredible. I felt like I was in Casablanca ... of all the authors in the world ... okay, a little literary license perhaps.

I love Robert Parkers books and his Spencer novels are amusing but they have never made me laugh till I hurt the way Janet Evanovich does. I'd say closer to Lisa Scottoline which ain't bad either. ;) Speaking of books and beading Barbara Burnett Smith wrote two mysteries involving beading, A Bead On Trouble and Beads Of Doubt. She was in the process of writing the second book when she passed away in 2005 the book was completed by someone else.:(

I love Robert Parkers books and his Spencer novels are amusing but they have never made me laugh till I hurt the way Janet Evanovich does. I'd say closer to Lisa Scottoline which ain't bad either. ;) Speaking of books and beading Barbara Burnett Smith wrote two mysteries involving beading, A Bead On Trouble and Beads Of Doubt. She was in the process of writing the second book when she passed away in 2005 the book was completed by someone else.:(

Do you know if Beads of Doubt is on audio? I have Beads of Trouble and read about the author passing away. Wow, that's sad.

I'd be completely satisfied if I enjoy the Spenser novels as much as Lisa Scottoline's. That would be great!

I agree that Evanovich are the funniest (series wise) out there. Several John Irving books have had a few extremely funny passages that have made me laugh out loud but not to be compared with Stephanie Plum's blunders.

Jim

Jennifer Crusie is considered more of a romance writer but her books are pretty funny also. :D

Totally off topic except for the fact of making jewelry WHILE listening to an AUDIO BOOK that you could TAKE on a CRUISE, but .... I'm sooooo curious: What kind of jewelry do YOU make? Have you been doing it long?

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

Just in case you're thinking you're seeing things with my countdown clock, I changed our cruise from 5/3/08 and 5/10/08 TO 5/10/08 and 5/17/08.

Plus, I added my poodle babies again <g>.

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

Just in case you're thinking you're seeing things with my countdown clock, I changed our cruise from 5/3/08 and 5/10/08 TO 5/10/08 and 5/17/08.

Plus, I added my poodle babies again <g>.

Lynn

Thought your ticker was going the wrong way. Good thing you arnt flying to the port, you would have been a week early.