When will we know about Princess Cays?

laginog

We are taking our first Princess cruise November 6th on the Caribbean Princess........still 60 days away.......having never been to Princess Cays I was wondering how much was there and how much they have to rebuild.......

Don't get me wrong.........it is NOT important whether we go there or not.....I feel so sorry for everyone..........

Just wondering if this is a major rebuild or if they can have things pretty well cleaned up in a month.

Thanks

That is SO sad to hear. We loved the Princess Cays. I'm sure they will rebuild it as it's just too beautiful a spot with too much to offer to just abandon it.

Monk - I am sure it will be rebuilt. When we sailed on a cruise several years ago - we were the first ship to revisit Princess Cays after it had been closed for several weeks (or months) due to a hurricane. It looked as beautiful as it had previously.

I am wondering about Coco Cays (RCCL's other private island).

We are taking our first Princess cruise November 6th on the Caribbean Princess........still 60 days away.......having never been to Princess Cays I was wondering how much was there and how much they have to rebuild.......

Don't get me wrong.........it is NOT important whether we go there or not.....I feel so sorry for everyone..........

Just wondering if this is a major rebuild or if they can have things pretty well cleaned up in a month.

Thanks

Actually there's not a whole lot too the place as far as rebuilding is concerned, the value is in the natural beauty.

Some shelter houses and the buffet area, the dock, find all the rental stuff that blew away..it's not like they're rebuilding an amusement park.

I'm hopeful that we'll be there at the end of October and don't see that as totally unrealistic. Still it's a short day there anyway and as much as I love the place, a day at sea would not be a bad substitute IMHO and probably the worst case scenario.

Somewhere along the line I heard that they substituted Nassau when this happened before but I might have gotten that wrong.

Seems like it might take more to rebuild Nassau than Princess Cays, but then again, I guess there might be more to do in Nassau. I'd probably rather sail than stop in Nassau, but that's because I've been there several times. Of course, I don't have to get off the ship, but for some reason, I always do.

Even once everything is back in tip-top shape, you still never really know if you'll be stopping there or not. On our last cruise there, we didn't even know until 30 mins. before we dropped anchor. The wind made it very hard for the Capt. to predict whether stopping there would be a good idea or not. We pulled in 1 hr. late and then once we dropped anchor, he still seemed a bit unsure. The wind finally died down and the lifeboats were dropped to start carrying crew & supplies to the island. We eventually got off the ship 2 hrs. after we were due to be there and it was incredibly windy and cold.

The funny thing is that we cruised the year prior during the same exact week and the water was warm, there was no wind and it was hot, hot, hot!

Just be prepared to be spontaneous!

we're also on the CP 9/25 sailing - soooo disappointed about princess cays. i kept telling my husband that it will be an adventure but lately it sounds like more that i bargained for. this was to be our first fall cruise and first time on princess. we usually do february cruising. lets all hope that ivan will be the last for awhile.

I just talked to Devonish, our friend and favorite waiter on the Caribbean Princess calling from Fort Lauderdale during the turnaround. He said the word going around was that they would visit some Mexican port instead of Princess Cays while it was being rebuilt.

He also said there were a LOT of passengers taking Princess up on their offer to stay on for the shortened and reduced rate 5-day that sets sail at 10PM tonight.

That would be me, I would SO do that.

I would not expect to see princess cays up and running in the near future.Much of the supplies to bahamas are shipped over on barges from florida and with two hurricanes having devastated most of florida,plywood,roofing supplies and concrete are a premium here in florida. If princess cays just needs sprucing up that maybe another story,most likely any supplies that do go to the bahamas will be used to rebuild houses and businesses in the bahamas. Ivan is forecast for south florida as of today.

This is ever so slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the private island used by Premier Cruise Lines? Remember when the hurricane went thru there?? We went one year and it was one island... the next year it was TWO islands with a really long bridge between them!! Just goes to show you the power of these storms. I'm not expecting PC on our cruise in 3 weeks (that would take a miracle) and I'd just as soon have a day at sea than divert over to Mexico from my EASTERN Caribbean route!! How about St. Lucia??:rolleyes:

TinaLee

[QUOTE]He said the word going around was that they would visit some Mexican port instead of Princess Cays while it was being rebuilt.
[/QUOTE]
Interesting! Although I would have to believe that Princess Cays will be functional again before my December cruise, with the way the hurricane season is this year you never know. Since that's Eastern Caribbean I assumed that if they don't do Princess Cays they would substitute Nassau...I would MUCH prefer a Mexican port over Nassau, hope that's true!

The problem with islands, particularly barrier islands, is that they're created by the wind and the waves and they are also destroyed by the wind and the waves. It's not a question of whether they will or not, but when. The ocean giveth and taketh away. Living in an ocean town, I'm always surprised when people build directly on the ocean and then demand that the local town build sea walls to protect their homes.

I'm sorry to hear about Princess Cays. I wonder if we'll go to San Juan or some other place for our December 26th Eastern Itinerary.

Anyone that has an upcoming Eastern Caribbean itinerary, let us know where you have been told you may be visiting instead of Princess Cays. We were scheduled to visit for our Oct 2nd sailing, but it appears as though that will not happen. Remember, Princess Cays was going to be on the way back, so I wonder what other ports would be an option, if any? I suppose this Saturday's sailing could be the earliest we will know?

Kt will be interesting how they work this out. If the Caribbean Princess were to stop at San Juan on the day scheduled for Princess Cays it would entail Imigration Agents coming aboard to check ID documents. There would be a timing issue if they were to make a stop at San Juan on a different day. I'm betting that there will be an extra sea day. If that's not the case it won't be the first time I've been wrong! :eek:

What about Tortola or Virgin Gorda? Aren't they close? Isn"t St Lucia right next to St Thomas (or am I crazy? What the heck do I know?) I would like to have more that two ports but I could think of worse things than having another sea day.

Jen

Archived