When will we know about Princess Cays?

laginog

How long will it be before we know if they'll be making stops at Princess Cays? Not that I'm counting on it for our cruise in 3 weeks!! It sure doesn't sound good!! I just want to "prepare" the kids in our group because they were really looking for ward to the island. But...then again....I don't want to "blow it" for them if there's a chance we can still go!!

Princess Cays is right next to NCL's Great Stirrup Cay. I don't know if there's any info. on the NCL board, but my guess would be that it will take a few weeks to get any updated information, as these islands are not permanently inhabited. Don't the Princess Cays workers live in Exuma?

I doubt if we will hear anything about any cruise lines' private islands for some time. Remember, the workers who serve you on these uninhabited private islands don't live there, and are no doubt more concerned about their own homes on Exuma or Eleuthera. Let's cut them some slack.

Our stop at Princess Cays was rescheduled for Nassau a few weeks before we were on the Golden in 2001. Hurricane Georges, I think, was the culprit. There were four consecutive sailings of the Golden that skipped Princess Cays that year due to the hurricane damage. Frances seems like it's lingering a long time over the Bahamas, so I hope everyone there is OK.

Since Nassau got hit too, any guesses on where they will go instead (assuming) of Princess Cays? Do you think still Nassau, nowhere....? We are on an eastern itinerary in 3 weeks, stopping in St Mar, St Thomas and Princess Cays.

Jen

Jenna---

I think we're on the same sailing - CP 9/25. I'm assuming we're looking at another "sea day". I love "sea days" so that's fine with me but I know a lot of other people don't really care for them so they might be disappointed. But...we can't help Mother Nature!! The children in our group will be upset about missing the "Cays" but we want them to understand how hurricanes can be so...we'll just make a "lesson" out of it!!!l

I would guess a sea day as well..........it would be just a guess right now as to how many cruises will miss this stop until the assess the damage.........

Sea days are great though, so it won't interfere with our cruise attitude.........

laginog,

We are on the same cruise. I have seen you on the roll call. Should be fun. I am okay with whatever they decide. I enjoy cruisin' days but would prefer to have more than two stops :p . As long as we get on it will be fun. Hopefully, Ivan won't take out the other two islands. Those poor people having to deal with this all season. It stresses me out just one week :eek:

Jen

Just getting on the ship with these hurricanes might become a challenge!!! These things are coming one right after another!!! My in-laws live in Palm Bay. We talked to them last night at about 8:00 and they said it was windy and raining. Today, evidently...the phone lines are out...can't reach them and the recording says that they're having "trouble" with the lines. So....I hope they made it through OK!!! She said she called the shelter and they were told that where they live, it was safe for them to stay home!!! I don't think that's really true but...that's the story she gave us!!!

Got this off of a Caribbean news site on the web:

"As the storm's eye approached the outlying island of Eleuthera on Friday, sustained winds of 100 mph were reported."

I believe that the Princess Cays is on the South side of Eleuthera Island. Here's the link;

http://www.puertoricowow.com/html/gintdetail.asp?amaspField_newshd=Weakened%20Hurricane%20Frances%20heads%20for%20Florida%20&amaspHidden_newshd_dataType=string

We are also on the 9/25 sailing. Just wondering like all of you what the itinerary will be. I also love the sea days, but hope they add another port. Someone suggested Antigua - that would be nice since I've never been there. Well it's 3 weeks away so alot can change. My prayers to all the residents of Florida.

My girlfriend who finally got off the Caribbean Princess this morning said that an announcement was made that they were the last to visit Princess Cay as it has been destroyed in the hurricane. I also have read that Disney's island, Castaway Cay was destroyed.

I'm sure the islands will all be rebuilt, but it won't be anytime soon as Hurricane Ivan is breathing down our necks.

Thanks for the information. I'll go ahead and tell the kids that we won't be able to do the island. We'll just make it a "learning experience" and tell them how sad it is that so many things were destroyed and how lucky we were that so many more people weren't killed. They will have so much fun on the ship they won't miss it anyway, I'm sure!! But....it will be sad thinking about the poor people.... It sounds like Ivan is heading towards Hispaniola. RCCL might lose Labadee in the next one but.. let's hope not!! The Weather Channel mentioned that a cold front could blow it away from land. Hopefully...that will happen!!!

Archived