How to stop alcohol smuggling

Jimmers

Given the creativity of the human mind, it seems to me that it is impossible to prevent smuggling of alcohol onto ships.

If you were CEO of RCI what would you do to make smuggling a less attractive option for those cruisers who are inclined to do it.

For instance, would you hire more personnel so that every piece of luggage could be meticulously hand searched?

Would you hand search all arriving passengers to make sure they weren't concealing any alcohol on their person?

Would you lower drink prices?

Make package goods available on the ship?

What would YOU do?

Jimmers:)

Hire a stunt man. Have him walk the plank before the cruise sets off. Let it be known he was a smuggler, ask if anyone else would like to hand in their alcohol before they follow suit:D . Only joking

I think the only way that alcohol smuggling will stop, is if RCI denied boarding to passengers who attempted to bring alcohol onboard.

Other than that, people don't care if it's confiscated, they don't care if they get their hand slapped. Unless they are denied boarding, or (gasp!) charged more if alcohol is found, they will ALWAYS do it.

That said, I'm not against smuggling. We're sailing on Enchantment in 10 days, and will NOT be smuggling, but we have smuggled in the past, and enjoyed our smuggled beverages very much.

That is just so weird. Not more than a half hour ago I came across that video on another forum for the first time. Absolutely blown away by it. Hope everyone takes the time to view it.

Jimmers

OK call me dumb but are we just supposed to pick any old video.

We have had this conversation many many many times on Cruise Critic.

Between learning from other cruisers, and talking to crew and staff on board, I have come to realize that what seems simple from our point of view is more complex.

I have been an advocate of allowing limited (e.g., two bottles per cabin per week-long cruise) purchases in the onboard shop for taking along back to the cabin, for a reasonably inflated fee, say $20 on top of the duty-free price. That would make it a good income stream for the cruiseline. It boosts the price just somewhat above what most cruisers would pay in their home states. (probably still cheaper than the &$%#*$ State Liquor Stores in Pennsylvania! :mad:

It turns out that years ago, RC outsourced the liquor stores to an outside company. Those profits don't go wholly or directly to RCI. There's a middleman taking a nice chunk.

If I were CEO? I'd take the shops back from the outside companies, and run them myself, with RC employees. Then I would allow the limited purchase for in-cabin consumption as detailed above.

Along with that permission, I would REALLY clamp down on outside alcohol. I would put the current policy in giant letters on the front of the cruise documents. I would have a big sign in the port terminal. And I would inform passengers in their cruise documents that housekeeping personnel are empowered to report and confiscate contraband liquor from cabins. At the same time, I would let them know that they COULD make these limited purchases on board.

I would require all passengers to sign this policy at check-in.

What do you think?

(oh, just a comment to something that curley 23 wrote above. If there is anyone out there, who cruises, and thinks that $5 for a drink is EXPENSIVE, then I am an amphibious blue-scaled, red-winged, dragon-tailed blorgbot! :eek:

Why not have the duty free price go to the vendor and the additional $20 "surcharge" go to RCCL?

We have had this conversation many many many times on Cruise Critic.

Between learning from other cruisers, and talking to crew and staff on board, I have come to realize that what seems simple from our point of view is more complex.

I have been an advocate of allowing limited (e.g., two bottles per cabin per week-long cruise) purchases in the onboard shop for taking along back to the cabin, for a reasonably inflated fee, say $20 on top of the duty-free price. That would make it a good income stream for the cruiseline. It boosts the price just somewhat above what most cruisers would pay in their home states. (probably still cheaper than the &$%#*$ State Liquor Stores in Pennsylvania! :mad:

It turns out that years ago, RC outsourced the liquor stores to an outside company. Those profits don't go wholly or directly to RCI. There's a middleman taking a nice chunk.

If I were CEO? I'd take the shops back from the outside companies, and run them myself, with RC employees. Then I would allow the limited purchase for in-cabin consumption as detailed above.

Along with that permission, I would REALLY clamp down on outside alcohol. I would put the current policy in giant letters on the front of the cruise documents. I would have a big sign in the port terminal. And I would inform passengers in their cruise documents that housekeeping personnel are empowered to report and confiscate contraband liquor from cabins. At the same time, I would let them know that they COULD make these limited purchases on board.

What do you think?

(oh, just a comment to something that curley 23 wrote above. If there is anyone out there, who cruises, and thinks that $5 for a drink is EXPENSIVE, then I am an amphibious blue-scaled, red-winged, dragon-tailed blorgbot! :eek:

Your reasonably inflated fee needs to be about $50 or more. they are here to make money. And maybe you are the blue scaled, red winged , dragon tailed blorg boticon7.gif There are plenty of old threads with people complaining about $5 being to high to pay for a drink. just a little kidding!!!

Just after paying $10.50 plus gratuity for a Cosmo, I was a little miffed that all I could taste was the cranberry juice. This happened every time I ordered it, no matter which venue I ordered it from, Martini Bar, lounges, etc. It seemed that all the cocktails, such as margaritas, daiquiris, etc., only tasted of fruit juices.

I've had that experience also. Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters aren't correct in their comments about higer tipping bringing stronger drinks.

I sent a "virgin" drink back last cruise. I had three people taste it and all confirmed there wasn't a drop of alcohol in it. I should've made a complaint but I just took the replacement drink.

Jimmers

Given the creativity of the human mind, it seems to me that it is impossible to prevent smuggling of alcohol onto ships.

If you were CEO of RCI what would you do to make smuggling a less attractive option for those cruisers who are inclined to do it.

For instance, would you hire more personnel so that every piece of luggage could be meticulously hand searched?

Would you hand search all arriving passengers to make sure they weren't concealing any alcohol on their person?

Would you lower drink prices?

Make package goods available on the ship?

What would YOU do?

Nothing...:cool:

I have been an advocate of allowing limited (e.g., two bottles per cabin per week-long cruise) purchases in the onboard shop for taking along back to the cabin, for a reasonably inflated fee, say $20 on top of the duty-free price.

Two 750ml bottles seems like a lot of booze. Maybe 750 ml itotal in a combination of liquor types.

Overall I think it's an excellent plan. There may be some resistance from room stewards to be the alcohol police. Afterall, they want good tips at the end. But if it was something that could cost them their job I'm sure most would follow the rule.

It seems most people are against the current total ban of onboard sales/consumption and would like the rules relaxed.

I think most people like to follow the rules. But if you make them too strict they WILL break them. And then once you break one why not another. It's like some of these towns posting 25 mph speed limits where clearly it should be 50mph. Everyone becomes a law breaker.

I think a more reasonable policy as you described would be just enough for most potential rule breakers to conclude that it's not worth the bother to risk getting caught, having your clothes stained, etc.

A case in point. We always purchase a soda card @ $48.30. This is a bit high for what we drink and the soda's not that great, so we could be tempted to lug our own soda on like others do. But for us the $48.30 isn't excessive enough to tip us in favor of doing that. It's just not worth the bother.

I think that's what RCI needs to convince the alcohol smugglers of. It's just not worth the bother.

It's quite obvious RCI does not think their passengers are a mature group of cruisers otherwise they would do what other lines do - offer bar set-ups and price them so they would make a decent profit and passengers can enjoy some convenience.

I don't think RCI is going to deny anyone boarding or throw them off the ship at the next port just for having a bottle of booze in their luggage. The resulting public relations fiasco would be a nightmare.

if rci did allow us to buy a bottle in the onboard store , pay a consumption fee, and take it to our cabin........................how would the cabin steward know the diff. between what we legally bought onboard and something smuggled ? i would be p.o.'d if something i brought to the cabin legally with rci permission was taken by the cabin steward as if it were smuggled.....

so rci would have to put a purchased onboard sticker on each purchase to avoid this , i guess....:)

It's quite obvious RCI does not think their passengers are a mature group of cruisers otherwise they would do what other lines do - offer bar set-ups and price them so they would make a decent profit and passengers can enjoy some convenience.

I don't think RCI is going to deny anyone boarding or throw them off the ship at the next port just for having a bottle of booze in their luggage. The resulting public relations fiasco would be a nightmare.

Charge $50 per bottle found.

We will see if the maturity level of RCI pax matches their pocketbooks.:)

And this isn't about convenience for everyone as much as it is about $$$. Using the excuses about having to walk from the bar area,:eek: ..to room service takes too long..:eek: ...to they don't carry my brand...:eek: ...are just a dog and pony show to hide the real reason. $$$$$....

if rci did allow us to buy a bottle in the onboard store , pay a consumption fee, and take it to our cabin........................how would the cabin steward know the diff. between what we legally bought onboard and something smuggled ? i would be p.o.'d if something i brought to the cabin legally with rci permission was taken by the cabin steward as if it were smuggled.....

so rci would have to put a purchased onboard sticker on each purchase to avoid this , i guess....:)

How long do you think it would take for a roll of those stickers to appear for sale on Ebay?:p

And who would have the stickers? And if someone slips the guy with the stickers a few bucks would the stickers then appear on bottles purchased on land?

It's quite obvious RCI does not think their passengers are a mature group of cruisers . . .

And many passengers continue to prove them correct.

I think you're probably right that they won't take that step for someone having a bottle of liquor in their luggage. I think they might reach the point of doing that to passengers caught with things like water or Listerine bottles filled with liquor. In that case, it'll be quite obvious that the passenger was deliberately trying to sneak something on that they knew wasn't allowed, and I really doubt that it would cause any significant public relations flap.

Charge $50 per bottle found.

We will see if the maturity level of RCI pax matches their pocketbooks.:)

And this isn't about convenience for everyone as much as it is about $$$. Using the excuses about having to walk from the bar area,:eek: ..to room service takes too long..:eek: ...to they don't carry my brand...:eek: ...are just a dog and pony show to hide the real reason. $$$$$....

$50.00 per bottle found? I'd like to see how bookings would go if they announced a little gem like this :D

Sigh.... you've been following me around liquor threads long enough to know, for me, it's never been about the $$$$. I don't smuggle, I just want another option. Regarding "having to walk from the bar area" and "room service takes too long" these are not "excuses", what is reasonable for you is unreasonable for me. Many other cruise lines agree with me on this point. We differ on this - get over it. :)

It is so easy.

When you are going through security, just then they are about to inspect your baggage.....

Pull out a cigarette and (loudly) ask "Does anyone have a light?"

The rush to condemn the potential smoker (smuggler) will overwhelm security, you merely throw away the cigarette and breeze through security with your booze.

DH and I have been cruising since 1978; and back in the day, no one ever even thought about lugging alcohol on board. But back then there was no "ripping off" of the passengers for drinks either. Hmmmmmm.......Seems like cause and effect to me.:cool:

$50.00 per bottle found? I'd like to see how bookings would go if they announced a little gem like this :D

Sigh.... you've been following me around liquor threads long enough to know, for me, it's never been about the $$$$. I don't smuggle, I just want another option. Regarding "having to walk from the bar area" and "room service takes too long" these are not "excuses", what is reasonable for you is unreasonable for me. Many other cruise lines agree with me on this point. We differ on this - get over it. :)

I'm betting bookings wouldn't change. If pax are truthful about why they smuggle I think they would manage with the available brands on board and use room service.

I know you have said it isn't the $$$...you happen to want something the line doesn't offer.

We differ on this....and RCI differs with you on this point. If you don't like their policy you can do a couple of things. Book another line...write letters expressing your feelings and hope they change.

I have nothing to "get over" Bob...I'm not a booze hound and am not unhappy with RCI policy.:)

DH and I have been cruising since 1978; and back in the day, no one ever even thought about lugging alcohol on board. But back then there was no "ripping off" of the passengers for drinks either. Hmmmmmm.......Seems like cause and effect to me.:cool:

I don't think the prices of RCI drinks are out of line with what you pay in a good restaurant on land. So how is this "ripping" off pax?:confused:

When I order a Cosmo or other cocktail in a fine restaurant and pay the going price, I always taste the liquor. That's how. And after cruising so many years on so many lines, I know an overpriced :eek: "juiced down" cocktail when I receive it.

Really? I've generally found the drinks on RCI rather strong (sometimes even too strong for my liking).

Many cruise lines offer a bar set up in your cabin, Its not that cheap but very convenient. We always buy it and do not smuggle at all. We still have a pretty good bar tab because we do not run to the cabin to make drinks during the cruise. I'm on vacation and want a hassle free vacation,

NCL offers a bar set up. I purchased it by phone prior to arriving on the ship. They had a nice profit in it and I did not have to worry about smuggling. It was a win win situation.

RCCL does not offer a bar set up so I smuggled. Either way I have booze in the room. NCL profits and RCCL doesnt. You would think they would smarten up.

Also, if the drink prices were lower, we would NOT smuggle.

I don't think the prices of RCI drinks are out of line with what you pay in a good restaurant on land. So how is this "ripping" off pax?:confused:

I would say you are right with the drink prices being similar to that of a good restaurant especially if you are in the dining room, Champange Bar, Viking lounge etc... but out at the pool bar and in the more casual bars at the restaurant they are more overpriced than what you would pay at a similar place on land. With no competition or ability to BYOB they can charge what they want and increase the prices. It is like a monopoly once on board the ship.

Archived