How to stop alcohol smuggling

Jimmers

What I can't understand, example, you get a Hotel room, you bring your booze into room, well you have a room on a ship, your hotel, you should be allowed to bring booze on board. Now I personally do not drink, but don't feel the cruise lines will lose any money. Those who do drink can't possibly bring that much on board and those fridges can't hold that much anyway.

DH and I have been cruising since 1978; and back in the day, no one ever even thought about lugging alcohol on board. But back then there was no "ripping off" of the passengers for drinks either. Hmmmmmm.......Seems like cause and effect to me.:cool:

On my first cruise, the NCL Leeward, I could not believe how reasonable the drink prices were. I came off that ship telling everyone how reasonable it was to be on board. I do not feel the same way now about the prices charged for things now on NCL or RCCL. Believe me, it is not the money, it is the principle. I hate feeling like I am overpaying every time I order a drink ALL week long.

(not to mention the $5.99 travel size tube of toothpaste the general store just sold me and the $9.00 Advil with 25 tablets.)

Given the creativity of the human mind, it seems to me that it is impossible to prevent smuggling of alcohol onto ships.

If you were CEO of RCI what would you do to make smuggling a less attractive option for those cruisers who are inclined to do it.

For instance, would you hire more personnel so that every piece of luggage could be meticulously hand searched?

Would you hand search all arriving passengers to make sure they weren't concealing any alcohol on their person?

Would you lower drink prices?

In two words.............

DENIED BOARDING.............

Which under their contract RC is allowed to do if you are caught smuggeling booze.

IF (a very important word:rolleyes: ) they are serious about eliminating or curtailing smuggeling..........then if they took just one day and denied boarding to anyone caught smuggeling, it would get back on CC within the hour and some might think twice whether it was worth the risk involved.

Question is if they can take the PR hit to actually do it.

What they should or shouldn't change wasn't part of your question except how to control it or stop it.

The answer is, they need to take away the incentive to smuggle.

Offer premium liquors at reasonable prices.

I paid $12.00 for a very simple martini on board and the tip was added to that. I don't think that is a reasonable price for 1 drink. Drinks at Trader Vics, The Met or Daniels Broiler and other nice places are rarely more than $8.50 and I'll add the amount of tip I think the bartender deserves. And I live in the Seattle area with 100's of Microsoft millionaires, not some backwater po-dunk village.

As for wine selections, most ships I have been on offer very mediocre wines (OK, cheap) ($8-$10 at any local store) for $29 and up. Again, not reasonable.

We never drink to excess and seldom see fellow passengers drunk and I think the prices are the reason. Our weekly bar bill never exceeds $100 for both of us and at $12 each plus tip, that isn't much alcohol for 7 days unless you are a mormon or are just uptight about alcohol.

At $12 per drink, that one bottle of gin or vodka would fetch $100's by the time you made that many martinis.

If they sold the bottles at a reasonable price and added a 'corking fee' or whatever thay wanted to call it, they would make a profit because few people if any would bother to smuggle alcohol on board.

If I could get a decent bottle of wine or liquor or a cocktail at a reasonable price, I would never even consider smugling liquor on board.

I, also, don't mind the $10.50 plus grats for a properly-made cosmo. It's only when I am charged such prices with no noticeable liquor in the drink that I feel "ripped off."

I have never noticed that kind of thing.

Though I don't drink alot..maybe my taste buds find the taste of alcohol more acute?

My favourite liqueur is Benedictine, anyone know if I can get this onboard?

Yes, you can! My roomie for my Jewel cruise introduced me to B&B, which is Benedictine & Brandy, as a lovely nightcap. When I asked for it at the Schooner Bar on the Vision, the bartender regretfully informed me that he did not have any, asking if it would be OK for him to mix it up himself with half Benedictine and half brandy. Indeed it was, and it was just as tasty as what I remembered the premixed version to be.

If I were CEO I'd be announcing that our onboard alcohol sales are down because of 'smuggling'. Therefore we add a $30 per stateroom security fee, hire as many luggage people I can and go through as many of luggages as I can. :D

To top it off, I would create a database of people who were caught 'smuggling', share it with every cruise line and have them banned from cruising with anybody.

:D

I think that would tremendously reduce the 'alcohol smuggle'.

Oh, in addition to that I would create a reward program. If you know someone who 'smuggled' alcohol and you tell us we'll refund the 'security fee'.

;)

Great idea, :rolleyes: alienate all your customers or turn them into a crowd of seagoing snitches all for what, a few extra $$ in revenue?? No matter what they do, there will still be a percentage of guests that will smuggle, it's something that really isn't worth the time or trouble to effectively address.

It wasn't too many years ago that you could purchase a couple of bottles from the duty free store with a small surcharge. That all ended around the time of the missing groom episode on the Brilliance. They think that they can monitor alcohol comsumption by keeping it in the bars.

Aubie

Start strictly enforcing the rule. Any alcohol not declared will be disposed of. If more people lost the alcohol all together they be in less of a hurry to smuggle. Also I think it is written the people can be removed for the ship.

If that happened a few times people would start to listen.

I paid $12.00 for a very simple martini on board and the tip was added to that.

Get outta town. $12.60 for a martini. The glass must have been one of those giant size ones, right?. Maybe they used an organic olive, they're expensive.

Jimmers

When we booked our cruise for Oct 2008, friends who decided to join us and never cruised told me he was going to smuggle his wine on board, even though I told him, he could lose the wine, etc, he thought he could still do it. I was rather upset that for a first cruise they would think of going against the rules. Told DH if they were denied boarding that would have been their lose.

Haven't posted for a while, but this topic got my interest as its worded a little differently from the usual wine/liquor topic ... which of course always leads to righteous indignation on both sides of the issue. ;)

The original question was if you were CEO, what would you do to make smuggling a less attractive option. So the idea maybe isn't to eliminate it, but to get people to smuggle less, which should be an intriguing possibility for RCL if RCL can make money in the process. I tend to agree with the posters that are suggesting an economic option, and to me that would be in the form of having a more extensive onboard liquor store where you could, at your option, consume what you purchase onboard. It seems to me, especially given the tax savings currently availble for on-ship purchases, that RCL could price the product competitively, or even slightly above market, and still make a LOT of money. You could still combine this with the current no smuggling policy.

Right now, virtually every bit of smuggled alcohol (except for the home brewers - smile) represents a bottle purchased at a store where someone else is making a profit. That is a market niche that RCL isn't doing a good job exploiting currently ... in other words, they could be "leaving money on the table," so to speak. RCL should give this a try on a couple ships to see how it works and how much it really affects traditional alcohol sales/profits, versus the additional sales/profits from such onboard alcohol sales.

On the other hand, any additional money spent by RCL on additional enforcement is a direct cost to them, and isn't going to do anything more that annoy people. And as to a "denied boarding day" for alcohol smugglers, that will undoubtedly lead IMO to a losing class action lawsuit for RCL, and a lot of bad PR, but that's another topic. The point is, the "increased enforecement" approach has high costs and very little upside for RCL, IMO.

No! That's my point! It was a regular size 'appletini' and didn't even have an olive in it!

Over charging for alcoholic drinks is exactly why people like me smuggle it on board and is why I don't drink much on board.

If I could buy a bottle of bourbon for $20 and pay a reasonable $10 'corking" fee, I'd have no incentive to smuggle it on board and the cruise line would make ALL the profit!

Smuggling would practically cease.

Get outta town. $12.60 for a martini. The glass must have been one of those giant size ones, right?. Maybe they used an organic olive, they're expensive.

Jimmers

Please, Please, Please! Somebody get denied boarding for having alcohol in their luggage. Then RCI's stock will tank with the resulting PR fiasco. Then I can afford 100 shares. :D

I don't really want to see anyone's vacation ruined, but part of me would like to see that happen, too, just so you would see that the "PR fiasco" would likely go almost entirely unnoticed anywhere but on a cruise messageboard. (And even there, a fair percentage of people would probably react with a "that's the risk you take" attitude.)

Right now' date=' virtually every bit of smuggled alcohol (except for the home brewers - smile) represents a bottle purchased at a store where someone else is making a profit. That is a market niche that RCL isn't doing a good job exploiting currently ... in other words, they could be "leaving money on the table," so to speak. RCL should give this a try on a couple ships to see how it works and how much it really affects traditional alcohol sales/profits, versus the additional sales/profits from such onboard alcohol sales.[/quote']

Excellent point. This could be an interesting experiment for RCL, though I doubt they would be willing to accept as little profit as a grocery or liquor store makes off of alcohol.

Most of you are missing several points here.

1. For what ever reason(s) Be it monitary, or otherwise, RCI does not want bottles of hard liquor in the cabins, or they would sell it.

2. For those of you who do not understand the hospitality industry, there is very little revenue generated by selling in bulk. Bars , Restaurants, Ships, Hotels, etc. are not in the liquor store business. They are selling in a retail per drink environment. Why would they settle for making $10-$20 marking up a bottle of booze, when they can generate $100-$150. This is not out of line for the industry. There is not enough smuggling going on for them to say we'll just sell a bottle for another $5 or $10 more than the liquor store at the end of the block,to keep people from bringing their own, and jeopardize the revenue they already generate from people who do not smuggle who will buy the bottle instead of on a per drink basis.

For RCI to allow you to buy a bottle on board, the price would have to be somewhat in line with what they generate on a per drink basis, which they would have to charge $100 or more.

3. There are some of you who want it for convenience, at any price , however, there are only very few of you I would really believe are honest about that.

4. In reading the thread here, my read out of most of this is the majoruty here really thinks prices are too high, and that is why you smuggle. Most of you will still smuggle, regardless of the price, as very few are being realistic about it.

In reading the thread here, my read out of most of this is the majoruty here really thinks prices are too high, and that is why you smuggle. Most of you will still smuggle, regardless of the price, as very few are being realistic about it.

I don't know that that's true. I don't think their normal drinks are that high. The fancy/souvenir drinks are high but you don't have to get them. Otherwise I think the drink prices are in line with those at any bar or restaurant.

For me I would just like to be able to enjoy a drink or two or three in the privacy of my room WHEN I want to. Some say you can get your drinks delivered to your room. Perhaps that's true but I don't want to:

1. be bothered with having to call for room service

2. Wait for them to deliver the drink

3. Pay extra for room delivery

4. Get a drink with melted ice

5. Repeat the process for each drink I want

I resent the fact that as a grown man who has paid a decent amount for my vacation, I can't "legally" do that.

I resent it enough that unless there are some changes in the policy I may consider switching to a cruseline that doesn't "force" me to engage in the juvenile behavior of sneaking alcohol onboard.

Jimmers

I don't know that that's true. I don't think their normal drinks are that high. The fancy/souvenir drinks are high but you don't have to get them. Otherwise I think the drink prices are in line with those at any bar or restaurant.

For me I would just like to be able to enjoy a drink or two or three in the privacy of my room WHEN I want to. Some say you can get your drinks delivered to your room. Perhaps that's true but I don't want to:

I resent the fact that as a grown man who has paid a decent amount for my vacation, I can't "legally" do that.

I resent it enough that unless there are some changes in the policy I may consider switching to a cruseline that doesn't "force" me to engage in the juvenile behavior of sneaking alcohol onboard.

Jimmers

I do not think the drink prices are out of line at all, however most of the comments on this thread pertaining to $$ is that they should lower them , or be allowed to purchase bottles at unrealistic prices. I did not see very many posts stating "I just want to be able to have it in my cabin, at any cost". Lower prices, or more reasonable was almost always mentioned, which is why I said it seems to me most people smuggle because they do not want to pay for it.

There is still the other thing here that if it was just the $$ RCI would sell it to you, however they are not, so don't you think there is more to it??

No one is forcing anyone to smuggle, that is your own perception. I have no problem stopping by the bar on my way from the pool, or where ever and getting a drink to take to my cabin. If i am not going to drink it right away, I just get it straight up, and put the ice in later, or I will just walk down the hall a few feet and get one. Some people don't want to do that, and that is up to them. It works for me. I don't smuggle, I get drinks when I want and its no big deal here. If it doesn't work that way for others, it is ok, you can look for more suitable cruise line that cater to your needs, or wants.

My whole point here is that if RCI did allow bottles to be purchased, they would have to do it in a manner consistant with their pricing structure, which IMHO will not end the smuggling, because most people will not be willing to pay what RCI would need to charge.

Jimmers

See thats where I completely differ from the average cruiser then. I am hardly in my stateroom. I am sleeping in the stateroom and change, thats about it. I might sit on the balcony a little while but I use that time to regenerate from alcohol consumption.

The reasons for smuggling a sliding always from one end to another. There is no fixed reason where you can pin point to.

Financially? No way. Prices on cruise ships are pretty much in line, at times even cheaper, then the regular club and/or bar scene.

Inconvenience? No way. Ships have so many lounges and bars that when you go from any given point you can pick a drink up on your way to the cabin.

My goodness, so many reasons and each of them you can easily dispute. And I would bet a sea pass bill that most people who smuggle alcohol don't even finish their one bottle, many times they probably won't even break it open.

Maybe I am so different. Because cruising is for me to "Get out there!" to meet and mingle, sun bath, activities, sometimes just sitting there having a drink and do 'people watching'. And that's what cruising is all about in my opinion. I could not stand sitting in a stateroom (any stateroom) for hours and mix my own drinks. Heck, I can do that at home.

I am probably the old fashion cruiser who likes to meet other people and enjoy crowds, have a certain dinner time with total strangers at the same table. Open dinner? I have that every day of the week when I can go to our local restaurants.

There is really no valid reason for smuggling alcohol onboard. Smuggling is nothing else then: I beat the authorities. I am so cool. And maybe that's why RCI doesn't do anything different to reduce smuggling because there is no common grounds for it. Even smugglers amongst each other can not come to a single reason why they are smuggling.

To the one poster who said that RCI could face a class action lawsuit if they would punish smugglers. Not so. Smuggling is a breach of contract. There is no lawyer in the world who would take on any cruise line if a smuggler has been taken off the ship. Plus who really cares. They are easily replaced by another cruiser.

EDIT: too many typos but I am too tired to correct them :D

Jimmers[/quote

You left out my biggest pet peeve. We like to have a drink while getting ready for dinner, just as we do at home if we are going out. The drinks from cabin service will arrive, without exception, while one is in the shower and the other is undressed. :)

Yes, they are watered down by the time they arrive and in the Caribbean, even more so. Now you've got two watered down drinks at $6.50 per + 15% + 2.00. Do that twice a night on a 14 day cruise and you might understand why people would prefer to have a bottle for in cabin consumption. If the bar were right outside the door in the hallway, we'd be more than happy to order from them.

In all fairness, just because some don't ever have a drink in their cabin doesn't mean it doesn't enhance the cruise for others and the two will never have the same opinon. ;)

NCL offers a bar set up. I purchased it by phone prior to arriving on the ship. They had a nice profit in it and I did not have to worry about smuggling. It was a win win situation.

RCCL does not offer a bar set up so I smuggled. Either way I have booze in the room. NCL profits and RCCL doesnt. You would think they would smarten up.

Also, if the drink prices were lower, we would NOT smuggle.

I can only speak from my own experience.

I cruised on Princess once.

At that time, Princess had a lower markup on wine than RC has, and you could get a bar set-up with a 375 ml bottle of booze and a few cans of soda.

People were smuggling right and left.

And bragging loudly about it.

I can only speak from my own experience.

I cruised on Princess once.

At that time, Princess had a lower markup on wine than RC has, and you could get a bar set-up with a 375 ml bottle of booze and a few cans of soda.

People were smuggling right and left.

And bragging loudly about it.

Princess' policy allows you to bring alcohol on board. There is no need to smuggle it on. It is one of the few things I like more about Princess over RCCL.

Archived