How to stop alcohol smuggling

Jimmers

Given the creativity of the human mind, it seems to me that it is impossible to prevent smuggling of alcohol onto ships.

If you were CEO of RCI what would you do to make smuggling a less attractive option for those cruisers who are inclined to do it.

For instance, would you hire more personnel so that every piece of luggage could be meticulously hand searched?

Would you hand search all arriving passengers to make sure they weren't concealing any alcohol on their person?

Would you lower drink prices?

Make package goods available on the ship?

What would YOU do?

Jimmers:)

I think allowing limited duty free alcohol sales on board for in cabin use would discourage smuggling. From what I read on these boards it seems that the majority of cruisers do purchase drinks at the bars but would like to have their own bottle for in room consumption.

I completely agree that selling liquor by the bottle in a ship's shop would solve most of the problem. Duty free and reasonable in price would be the answer.

I have no idea why they haven't figured this out.

Absolutely. My family cruises about once a year with family and with friends. My dh and I spend quite a bit at the bars both during the day around the pool and at night. Wine and beer at dinner (I am the beer drinker, not my dh). Our family as well as my mom and sil pack a small hard cased suitecase with bubble wrapped wine bottles of our choice. Last cruise, one of my bottles was about $100 and quite more expensive on the ship.

This year when we cruise Explorer on July 17, I am seriously thinking about purchasing the wine package for our dinner use since I think it is not too bad a price from what I remember but not fully sure yet what I will do. Is this correct?

Many cruise lines offer a bar set up in your cabin, Its not that cheap but very convenient. We always buy it and do not smuggle at all. We still have a pretty good bar tab because we do not run to the cabin to make drinks during the cruise. I'm on vacation and want a hassle free vacation,

We purchased the Wine and Dine package on our cruise last month and it was OK. We found a couple of wines that we could enjoy and saved over the per bottle price and we were happy. We are the $10-$12 bottle types at home so we don't have a problem with the selection that is offered.

Many cruise lines offer a bar set up in your cabin, Its not that cheap but very convenient.

Curious, how does that work and what does it cost?. Do you get a whole bar set up or are you limited to certain liqour and amounts?

Jimmers

FREE drinks?

Drinks included in the fare??

Don't know...

As a smuggler of a small amount of spirits who still manages a $1000 bar bill on a 7 day cruise, I think they should all just leave us alone!!!

I think that the majority of smugglers are just trying to bring on a "reasonable" amount to enjoy in their cabins...it's not about the $$ for us.

On sea days we like "Bloody Mary's" at around 8:30 AM...we've tried to get them via room service or go to the pool bar at 9 am. Pain in ARSE!! It's just so much easier to have our little stash, pour a vodka and V-8 and relax!!

We spend plenty at the bars. Does smuggling a teeny bit really hurt the revenue??

Believe me, if I knew that our Bloody's would arrive when we wanted on sea days, I wouldn't bother with smuggling..but in past experience, it doesn't work that way...

Pam

Don't quote me cause I know I'm wrong.

But its like a 350 ml bottle and 3 cans of mixer. for $25 maybe $30

We usually get vodka and rum with coke and juices.

If I remember correctly Princess gives you 750 ml bottles for like $35 without mixer.

RCI is the only one we sail where we can't get some kind of bottle for our room.

I don't think it is as simple as just letting people purchase on board. If it were really only a matter of $$, then RCI would be setting prices where they want to increase the revenue, and let you purchase. I believe it goes deeper than $$, although money is more than likely a big part of it, but with the recent mishaps, lawsuits etc., someone has decided that for whatever the reasons they do not want you to have bottles of booze for your cabin, or let you bring your own on for your cabin. People would still smuggle, even if they allowed you to buy on board, someone will always think the prices are too high, or they just do it for the sport. As far as I am concerned , the prices for drinks are not any more than what I pay in most restaurants and bars here at home. There will be folks who will not feel the same, but different economics in different parts of the country. For some people it can be a culture shock to pay $5 for a drink. You are not in your local tavern being on a cruise ship, so don't expect to pay those prices. When you get a drink it is also not your typical 1 shot drink. You tend to get quite a bit more, and I have never had a weak drink, so I feel the price I pay has the value. I think if RCI really wanted to cut down on smuggling, they can, maybe not search every passenger on every ship, but they could spot check random cruises, making more thorough checks and once the word got out maybe people would be less likely to smuggle. As long as the revenue on the ships stay at a level they are comfortable with, they won't do anything, and if you are dumb enough to not hide your liquor well enough,they will take it away.

If I was CEO I would sell pint bottles and limit how many you could purchase,(would depend on length of cruise)since most people only want it for a convenience in the cabin. Probably $35-$50 depending on brand. I still want to make my money, and still want you buying at the bars. No reason to lower drink prices, they are fair enough already. Would you rather see a $6 drink go to 4.50 , and then watch the bartender pour it from a gun at exactly 1oz. ?? I wouldn't

But its like a 350 ml bottle and 3 cans of mixer. for $25 maybe $30

We usually get vodka and rum with coke and juices.

If I remember correctly Princess gives you 750 ml bottles for like $35 without mixer.

That's really quite reasonable imo.

Jimmers

Many cruise lines offer a bar set up in your cabin, Its not that cheap but very convenient. We always buy it and do not smuggle at all. We still have a pretty good bar tab because we do not run to the cabin to make drinks during the cruise. I'm on vacation and want a hassle free vacation,

I think this is an excellent suggestion. Last year on Princess we did this. I believe it was $17 + gratuity for 375ml bottle plus 3 cans of soda. I think this would be a great model for RCCL.

Given the creativity of the human mind, it seems to me that it is impossible to prevent smuggling of alcohol onto ships.

If you were CEO of RCI what would you do to make smuggling a less attractive option for those cruisers who are inclined to do it.

For instance, would you hire more personnel so that every piece of luggage could be meticulously hand searched?

Would you hand search all arriving passengers to make sure they weren't concealing any alcohol on their person?

Would you lower drink prices?

Make package goods available on the ship?

What would YOU do?

Jimmers:)

If I were CEO I'd be announcing that our onboard alcohol sales are down because of 'smuggling'. Therefore we add a $30 per stateroom security fee, hire as many luggage people I can and go through as many of luggages as I can. :D

To top it off, I would create a database of people who were caught 'smuggling', share it with every cruise line and have them banned from cruising with anybody.

:D

I think that would tremendously reduce the 'alcohol smuggle'.

Oh, in addition to that I would create a reward program. If you know someone who 'smuggled' alcohol and you tell us we'll refund the 'security fee'.

;)

If I were CEO I'd be announcing that our onboard alcohol sales are down because of 'smuggling'. Therefore we add a $30 per stateroom security fee, higher as many luggage people I can and go through as many of luggages as I can. :D

To top it off, I would create a database of people who were caught 'smuggling', share it with every cruise line and have them banned from cruising with anybody.

:D

I think that would tremendously reduce the 'alcohol smuggle'.

Oh, in addition to that I would create a reward program. If you know someone who 'smuggled' alcohol and you tell us we'll refund the 'security fee'.

;)

That was great Fl_cruiser64. Maybe you should apply for the Homeland Security Director's position. We need someone tough like you in there.

Jimmers

I agree this is the way they should go I don't even mind paying more for the bottle.

I agree this is the way they should go I don't even mind paying more for the bottle.

That is just so weird. Not more than a half hour ago I came across that video on another forum for the first time. Absolutely blown away by it. Hope everyone takes the time to view it.

Jimmers

It would be nice if all the crusie lines were consistant with one another. Some let you bring on wine, some let you purchase a bottle of booze on board for consuption in your cabin. Me, I like to bring on my own wine which I can't purchase on board for dinning room use, and have never minded paying a corkage fee..... people will continue to smuggle

I think allowing limited duty free alcohol sales on board for in cabin use would discourage smuggling. From what I read on these boards it seems that the majority of cruisers do purchase drinks at the bars but would like to have their own bottle for in room consumption.

I don't think it's anywhere near a majority of cruisers who want to have a bottle of liquor in their room. (Maybe on certain spring break cruises???) I really think most people are not that concerned with lugging their own alcohol onboard, so they can mix their own drinks to consume in their cabins. I know I would never have even given it a thought, had I not read a gazillion threads about it on here.

We have had this conversation many many many times on Cruise Critic.

Between learning from other cruisers, and talking to crew and staff on board, I have come to realize that what seems simple from our point of view is more complex.

I have been an advocate of allowing limited (e.g., two bottles per cabin per week-long cruise) purchases in the onboard shop for taking along back to the cabin, for a reasonably inflated fee, say $20 on top of the duty-free price. That would make it a good income stream for the cruiseline. It boosts the price just somewhat above what most cruisers would pay in their home states. (probably still cheaper than the &$%#*$ State Liquor Stores in Pennsylvania! :mad:

It turns out that years ago, RC outsourced the liquor stores to an outside company. Those profits don't go wholly or directly to RCI. There's a middleman taking a nice chunk.

If I were CEO? I'd take the shops back from the outside companies, and run them myself, with RC employees. Then I would allow the limited purchase for in-cabin consumption as detailed above.

Along with that permission, I would REALLY clamp down on outside alcohol. I would put the current policy in giant letters on the front of the cruise documents. I would have a big sign in the port terminal. And I would inform passengers in their cruise documents that housekeeping personnel are empowered to report and confiscate contraband liquor from cabins. At the same time, I would let them know that they COULD make these limited purchases on board.

I would require all passengers to sign this policy at check-in.

What do you think?

(oh, just a comment to something that curley 23 wrote above. If there is anyone out there, who cruises, and thinks that $5 for a drink is EXPENSIVE, then I am an amphibious blue-scaled, red-winged, dragon-tailed blorgbot! :eek:

Just sailed on The Summit for 2 weeks, and if they are an example of what is to come on ships in the future, I believe there will be a heck of a lot more people smuggling liquor on cruises. Not only was the wine selection poor, it was also extremely expensive compared to many other cruises we have taken in the past. In addition to that, after paying $10.50 plus gratuity for a Cosmo, I was a little miffed that all I could taste was the cranberry juice. This happened every time I ordered it, no matter which venue I ordered it from, Martini Bar, lounges, etc. It seemed that all the cocktails, such as margaritas, daiquiris, etc., only tasted of fruit juices. I am not one who relishes the taste of strong cocktails; but when I pay exorbitant prices, I do expect to taste vodka, rum, tequila, etc. in them. Many passengers on this sailing felt the same way. And many attempted to buy bottles in Hawaii to bring on board. However, the "ship police" confiscated many bottles and also opened up bottles of water to smell them. Some passengers were caught with vodka and gin in their water bottles. Those items were also taken away until the last night. This happened to passengers in suites, balconies, outside and inside cabins. It has no class boundary or distinction. No one cares to be taken advantage of and passengers will fight back in one way or another. And smuggling seems to fit the bill.;)

I'd go back to the time when you could purchase duty-free alcohol in the ship's store and either have them hold it until the last night OR pay a consumption fee ($9+) to take it back to the cabin for consumption. That was really nice. We'd purchase, say, four bottles and pay to take one to the cabin while saving the others to take home. I would also place a specific limit on the number of bottles that any one pax could purchase for in-cabin consumption. This might (only might) help with the problems of excessive drinking by a few pax and the known fact that underage pax often got their alcohol from someone who had it in their cabin.

beachchick

IMO RCCI's 'sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut' alcohol policy actively encourages smuggling. I reckon smuggling could be reduced by 90% by introducing the following measures:

1) Allow an in-cabin bar set-up. Profit margins could still be set pretty high.

2) Greatly increase the selection of wine, beer and spirits available. I'm used to holidaying in Europe where most of the bars are crammed with every type of spirit imaginable. Appears to be very limited with RCCI. My favourite liqueur is Benedictine, anyone know if I can get this onboard?

3) Reduce bar prices. This could be done according to iternary. After all I can buy a decent bottle of house wine in Europe in a restaurant for 4 Euros. Prices onboard seem extortionate by comparison. This would reduce the amount smuggled onboard from ports.

Mind you can't see any of this actually happening! And they wonder why people smuggle? :)

Archived