Coco Cay

Can anyone who has recently experienced this plaesse let us know about thier experience.

We are leaving on the <ariner on Sunday and it looks like the seas will be a little high on Monday when we are supposed to be at Coco Cay. I wonder do they tell you or do they sail by and not say anything? Also if they go somewhere else? Where Nassau or San Jaun? If is is elsewhere are there excursions available or do they just stop?

IF we go somewhere else I want to take the kids on an excursion, maybe snorkling.

Any ideas and thoughts are appreciated!

Our cruise in April stopped there - it was really windy and it took forever for the first couple of tenders to get to the ship and loaded. I get severe motion sickness (I got sick snorkeling while wearing a Transcop patch and thought I was going to lose it all before I got off the tender and into my cabin on the 1 time we went over to Coco Cay on a previous cruise.) I took one look at the choppiness and decided to stay on board.

My nephew's cruise it was too windy and they had an extra sea day.

They will announce that they can't get to Coco Cay after they determine that it's impossible. I doubt that they will take you to another port. Never had that happen except when we were steering around a storm. I wouldn't snorkel in San Juan...

We sailed on by early in the morning and they announced about 4 hours after some other passengers said we already passed CocoCay by that we would not be stopping due to 40 knots winds. It was not even raining, just too windy for the tenders.

The time before we left a tad early because it started to rain and the weather was getting rough. Those poor folks on the top of the last tender when the tropical rain hit!!!!

When we went on the Sovereign last May, we did not make it to Coco Cay, I think it is a make believe island..lol..We missed it the first try and were told perhaps a day later, no go again. We ended up staying overnight in Nassau (boring). I really wanted to see Coco Cay too! But nothing RC could have done about it, was the winds fault. :)

We were on the Mariner last week and made it to Coco Cay last Monday. Apparently we were the first sailing in about 3 weeks of Eastern sailings that actually made it! We were blessed with incredible weather all week.

I did hear that if you can't make it to Coco Cay, you will likely visit San Juan instead.

We were on Mariner Oct 14-21. When we boarded, the plans were to go to Coco Cay. Later, before the Compass was passed out, our steward told us we weren't going to Coco Cay and that we were heading to San Juan. He told us we would get the Compass either late that night or early the next morning.

We got to San Juan about 3Pm two days later. Somehow, I think RCI knows they can dock the Mariner in San Juan without a problem on the Eastern Caribbean cruises. When we go on Radiance in January, Coco Cay isn't even scheduled, it's off to San Juan.

Even without advance reservations, a trip to San Juan can be interesting. There is a fort that is easily within walking distance from the ship. There is shopping, lots of things to do. Not to worry if you don't get to Coco Cay.

Enjoy Mariner, it's our favorite ship.

I was on the Majesty last week and we missed Cococay. I'm now 0-2. However, I had decided that I wasn't going to go once I saw on of the tenders trying to make it to the island. There was no way I was getting on anything that rock that violently!:( Hopefully next time.

P.S. We did have a great sea day instead.

Went on the Mariner in Sept and our first stop was Coco Cay. This was my favorite stop. We had perfect weather. My DH and boys went snorkeling and DD and I swam and relaxed. After the nice lunch the kids went to the water park and DD and I rested in a hammock. If you get there you will not be dissapointed:)

Well we had no issue tendering to CocoCay a couple of weekends back - and it was a very pleasant experience. But not to the point where it would have been a bad thing to have a sea day by the pool. Depending on what part of the country you are from, the water is not especially warm at this time of year.

I recommend the waverunners or the parasailing... but then I am not much for snorkeling.

And on the off chance you end up in San Juan, just do some research now so you know what your options are.

It doesn't really matter to me where we end up on Monday. We've been to San Juan 3 times already this year so I'm not sure we would even get off the ship.

Our friends would like to go to CocoCay though so we will set our sites on that.

Marilyn

Archived