Don't you just love CHAIR HOGS!!!

wilson9112

If I see a chair and its not being used then its mine. Period. I'd make an exception if their was another party their to explain someone was using the bathroom or grabbing a drink. But Im not going to wait 30 minutes to find a chair. I dont think thats being rude, its just the way it is..if I got up and someone took it after me, I wouldnt be pissed either because my butt is no longer using it.

I have yet to have anyone get confrontational with me...(then again im built like a sherman tank...so maybe thats why)

During our last cruise, there was a fight regarding use of the chairs (chair hogs). One woman ("A") who had been "saving" a chair came back to find the chair occupied by another woman ("B"). She ("A") summarily sat on the other woman ("B") who had some food in her hands which went flying onto woman ("A"). Said woman ("A") called security and had the other woman ("B") taken away for assault (by food). The situation was resolved by the captain, as it was all on the ships video monitoring system. Woman ("B") was found not to have "assaulted" woman ("A"). The result was an announcement by the cruise director not to save chairs.

Cruising sure can be interesting!

Maybe the CD could warn everyone during the welcoming events (maybe even the muster drill if possible) that this happened on a cruise...and if caught, a chair hog's photo will be posted in a prominent place.:p

Chair hogs... really is this a problem? I never seem to have such a problem.

I am very proactive in turning things I find such as towels, sunglasses, books and other items in at Lost and Found. I find it is the only right thing to do when people lose stuff by forgetting they left said items on deck chairs and lounge chairs.

There have been a few times when people have inquired as to where their stuff went and I cheerfully say I was trying to do the right thing and turned it in at Lost and Found. I always say I hope they would be so kind to do the same for me if they find some Item I lost, misplaced or forgot where I left it.

Truly, it is the only polite and civilized thing to do.

Yes, truly so. Considering their items didn't "accidently" go overboard.

I read on a cruise site, quite a long time ago, (so you know the "HOGS" have been around awhile), that a group of college age guys were on a cruise (Carnival, I think) and that they got so tired of the hogs, that they decided to take a "novel" approach to the problem. They gathered up the unattended items from the hog's chairs and would walk about the pool area putting mismatched shoes together, books with the wrong towels and shoes, etc. They thought it was great fun to watch the folks gradually ret. to their hogged chairs and start trying to locate their "stuff" and hopefully getting the clue that folks were tired of their selfishness. gg

I read on a cruise site, quite a long time ago, (so you know the "HOGS" have been around awhile), that a group of college age guys were on a cruise (Carnival, I think) and that they got so tired of the hogs, that they decided to take a "novel" approach to the problem. They gathered up the unattended items from the hog's chairs and would walk about the pool area putting mismatched shoes together, books with the wrong towels and shoes, etc. They thought it was great fun to watch the folks gradually ret. to their hogged chairs and start trying to locate their "stuff" and hopefully getting the clue that folks were tired of their selfishness. gg

Hmmmm, something to think about.;)

Was at a music school recital tonight and immediately this one couple and a few friends were busily planning which rows to reserve for their group. I just picked a row and waved hubby over to our seats (we just had the two of us as our girl, one of the performers, was sitting in the first row. I was tempted just to go to a row where these people were planning to take over and just sit there.

Get some yellow paper and make a few copies with the following text:

CHAIR HOGGING VIOLATION

This is not a ticket, but if it were within my power, you would receive two. Because of your Bull Headed, inconsiderate, feeble attempt at chair hogging, you have taken enough room for 4 elephant butts and 3 hippos.

The reason for giving you this is so that in the future you may think of someone else other than yourself. Besides, I don't like domineering, egotistical or simple minded chair hoggers and you probably fit into one of these categories.

I sign off wishing you a case of the trots (but not on my chair, please!), and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

Get some yellow paper and make a few copies with the following text:

CHAIR HOGGING VIOLATION

This is not a ticket, but if it were within my power, you would receive two. Because of your Bull Headed, inconsiderate, feeble attempt at chair hogging, you have taken enough room for 4 elephant butts and 3 hippos.

The reason for giving you this is so that in the future you may think of someone else other than yourself. Besides, I don't like domineering, egotistical or simple minded chair hoggers and you probably fit into one of these categories.

I sign off wishing you a case of the trots (but not on my chair, please!), and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

We just got off the Carnival Ecstasy... Didn't see any chair hogs ! Just HOGS talking so loud as if we wanted to know their life history ! We were on the top deck searching for a quiet spot and it was great until this loud mouth came and ruined our nice spot ! So lay off the chair hogs... and tell people we do go on a cruise to relax ! And to shut their loud mouth. We don't want to be impressed by them !!!!:eek:

• 2 months later...

My two gal-pals and i are cruising on the Celebrity Millennium in April 09 and one of the gals simply does not tolerate chair hogs at all. Never mind the 30 minute rule - It makes her mad... if you aint sitting in it, it's hers. She just removes the items and places them nearby, and doesnt hesitate to tell the owners off if they appear. If she leaves the chair, she removes all her stuff to free it up for others. One rule of thumb - when going up to the pool area, make sure you get organised first and take everything you need, so there's no need to go running back down to the cabin for that forgotten book, sunblock etc. :)

We just got off the Carnival Ecstasy... Didn't see any chair hogs ! Just HOGS talking so loud as if we wanted to know their life history ! We were on the top deck searching for a quiet spot and it was great until this loud mouth came and ruined our nice spot ! So lay off the chair hogs... and tell people we do go on a cruise to relax ! And to shut their loud mouth. We don't want to be impressed by them !!!!:eek:

We agree completely, and we seem to find a louder atmosphere on the top deck near the main pools, outdoor bars and eating areas on many Princess ships. We have found peace and quiet near adult-only pools and on the lower promenade deck of several ships. The conversations are subdued, and people are often reading books or chilling out.

DavidnSteph

LOL, actually I think the tipping boards are over done by now. Nothing we can do about that one but the chair hogs need to be stopped somehow:D

Double LOL! I think it's the threads about smuggling alcolhol onboard that're over done. And the ones where people are asking if formal night really means formal clothes. Getting tired of those as well! :D

• Administrators
My two gal-pals and i are cruising on the Celebrity Millennium in April 09 and one of the gals simply does not tolerate chair hogs at all. Never mind the 30 minute rule - It makes her mad... if you aint sitting in it, it's hers. She just removes the items and places them nearby, and doesnt hesitate to tell the owners off if they appear. If she leaves the chair, she removes all her stuff to free it up for others. One rule of thumb - when going up to the pool area, make sure you get organised first and take everything you need, so there's no need to go running back down to the cabin for that forgotten book, sunblock etc. :)

I honestly don't think a policy of "if you ain't sitting in it, it's hers" is going to work particularly well on your cruise. In fact, if your friend causes enough of a ruckus with her actions based on this philosophy, you and she could find yourselves standing on the dock watching your ship sail away.

It actually IS acceptable to walk away from "your" chair for brief periods to visit the restroom, get a drink from the bar, or take a dip in the pool to cool off. As much as I am not a fan of chair hogs (who try to reserve a row of 8 seats for 6 hours by using two flip flops and two towels), I'm equally unimpressed with your intolerant, self-centered friend.

I have to agree with most of you on this topic. The chair hogs are a pain in the butt!!

I have no problem with someone using the chair and then going into the pool,hot tub, to the restroom and returning. If someone don't return by 30 minutes, move their items or call a pool attendent and let them know, "No one has been back in over 30 minutes".

I know that one of my cruises, I was with a small group and we had about eight chairs. But at least three to four of us were there at all times while someone grab some food or got into the pool. I know that the day before we were sitting at a table in the Lido pool area. There were a group of chairs with towels in them and two with one water shoe each. After eating lunch and drinking two drinks and no one in site. One of my friends moved all of the towel and water shoes to one chair and we took the remaining. Guess what? about 20 minutes after this, a woman and man come up mad because we were in their chairs. My friend told them, if they were their chairs, where where they for the past hour or so. The woman left with a huff and returned with an officer. We told him that for over a hour no one was using the chairs and wasn't the policy 30 mins. The couple next to us also stated that they had been there most of the day and had never seen the people at the chairs. They were mad :D :D !!

I do prefer to go the level above the pool. You can find plenty of chairs away from the pool area.

If someone is gone more than 30 minutes, move their items. In the words of my 16 year old cousin "They will be strong!!".

Happy sailing!!

As much as I am not a fan of chair hogs (who try to reserve a row of 8 seats for 6 hours by using two flip flops and two towels), I'm equally unimpressed with your intolerant, self-centered friend.

Obviously, if the chair looks like it's actually being used, or recently inhabitied (half drunk drink, an open book, wet patches from the pool, or a scrunched up beach towl someone has laid on, that kinda thing... she doesnt touch it.

It's only if the chair and possessions look obviously unused, that she will act. She does have SOME common sense! :rolleyes:

I hate chair hogs too, but unless you have small children you need to watch, I don't really get the need to be right by the pool. It's usually the most crowded, noisiest place to be. We can always find chairs on a different level away from the crowds if we look a little.

'Chair' hogs are rampant at school events here too. The front rows are saved usually saved started as much as 45 minutes before the event.

The example that took the cake, for me, was at our grandson's CHURCH Christmas program last year--yes, at church--where the closest pew to the front had a handmade sign taped to it saying 'Saved for the .....family'. We were there at least 20 minutes ahead of time and no one at all showed up in that pew until the program was almost ready to start.

Well, the secret is not to need what the hog is hoggin, I tend to find a quiter area to sit with nicer company around.

however if you do want to sit by the pool, then I would get a staff member to police the area. If someone wants to argue with a staff member, they run the risk of facing discipline from the cruiseline. But I am not going to be the security for the cruiseline. and I think any cruiseline that will not send a staff member out to enforce their policies is not worth cruising with if that policy is very important to me. JMHO

Archived