Don't you just love CHAIR HOGS!!!

wilson9112

Every cruise I find it hard to get a lounge by the pool. Every cruise someone puts their books, towels, etc to hold a spot that they don't even use. Many hours go by while people are waiting for an UNUSED chair to become available?.......Don't you just love that they hold their spot and then go to breakfast?.....Something needs to be done about these chair hogs....finally!........................ANY SUGGESTIONS!!

Now if only the cruise lines would use them and enforce them. As an alternate, you can always wait for say, 30 mins. and quietly remove the items and give them to a deck attendant or towel guy. Just say, "I think somebody lost (abandoned?) these, they've been sitting here a while". When the guilty party comes back (IF they come back), just politely say, "There wasn't anything on this chair. Check with the deck attendant"

I find a chair I like and remove the towels and take it. I haven't had a problem. The chair was empty when I got there.

LOL..You even sound innocent from here saying that. My luck the DH was watching me. I always wanted to do that but didn't have the nerve!:D

I say we start a movement to take back the loungers. If we all started to occupy chairs that are being saved, there would be no benefit to stake out a chair 3 hours before you intend to use it.

Someday maybe the pool area will look like this

DECK+CHAIRS+.JPG

:D

Lots of suggestions about plastic cards (which would get lost) or mechanical clocks on the chairs (which would get broken off) have been given...

my suggestion was that cruise lines make their beach towels with their company name and color on one side and "I am not a chair hog....I will be back in 15 minutes." on the other.

If someone is using the chair and needs to "make a quick run somewhere", they simply turn the towel to the "I am not a chair hog." side.

A) this lets every one know the chair is truly occupied and that they will be right back

B) it would alert the clueless to what a "chair hog" is and how long it is appropriate to leave a chair "fannyless".

Lots of suggestions about plastic cards (which would get lost) or mechanical clocks on the chairs (which would get broken off) have been given...

my suggestion was that cruise lines make their beach towels with their company name and color on one side and "I am not a chair hog....I will be back in 15 minutes." on the other.

If someone is using the chair and needs to "make a quick run somewhere", they simply turn the towel to the "I am not a chair hog." side.

A) this lets every one know the chair is truly occupied and that they will be right back

B) it would alert the clueless to what a "chair hog" is and how long it is appropriate to leave a chair "fannyless".

I like that!:D The only thing I thought of was marking it like the cops chalk your tires in a 15 minute parking area:) That is a really good idea!(meaning your idea not mine) lol

Usually there are plenty of chairs, if you don't mind being more than 4 feet away from the pool! The upper decks are generally available for sunning!

But, if I see a chair which is obviously being "hogged", I will move the towel. It's usually easy to tell if someone is in the pool, or bathroom, as opposed to just holding a chair for a later time.

I don't have a problem with spouse holding an adjoining chair for the other spouse. It's the entire families that will take a whole bank of lounges at 7am, and then not show until noon!

What's to stop the veteran chair hog from just placing the "I am not a chair hog" side up from the get go? Some of them will stop at nothing.

Any Celebrity cruise we've been on had attendants who made regular sweeps of the pools and sundeck areas and removed towels, I'm assuming, after a certain amount of time. However, this was on smaller ships so it was probably easier to keep track of the towels but might be difficult on the large ships.

One time I was on a cruise with my mother, and she said "if you want to get a chair by the pool, what you have to do is go up there early and put your towel down to claim one." I said "No! Don't do that! That's why all the chairs get taken in the first place. I refuse to be a chair hog."

A quick (and must likely stupid question >_< ),

This is my DH and my 1st cruise and we both love to swim.

If we put our towels, books, drinks down on a chair and go swimming (we swim for 30-45 mins at a time) will someone move our stuff?

Thanks ^_^

Roni

A quick (and must likely stupid question >_< ),

This is my DH and my 1st cruise and we both love to swim.

If we put our towels, books, drinks down on a chair and go swimming (we swim for 30-45 mins at a time) will someone move our stuff?

Thanks ^_^

Roni

I doubt it. first of all you would be close by and probably would notice someone taking your stuff. Usually a pair of sandles shows you are not walking around etc. Most people dont move your stuff but we really should start:D (for the hogs anyway)!

I doubt it. first of all you would be close by and probably would notice someone taking your stuff. Usually a pair of sandles shows you are not walking around etc. Most people dont move your stuff but we really should start:D (for the hogs anyway)!

Thanks ^_^

I was a bit worried there! My DH and I are real 'water babies' and just love to swim and I didn't wan't to spend most of the time in the water watching my stuff/chairs ^_^

ladyrose:

you can always ask the people around you to keep an eye on your stuff and just tell them that you are going for a swim. Most people wont mind.

I have however found that the anti chair hogs could be as rude as the chair hogs. I was at a show one night with my gf at the time and another couple. It was about 10 minutes before the show was about to start. The two ladies went to the bar to get drinks. Myself and the other gentleman waited at the seats. Two people came up and demanded we give up the seats. I explained that the ladies were at the bar and even proceeded to point them out since they could be seen from our seats. Once the women got back they stormed off very annoyed and we got dirty looks the rest of the trip....i found it incredibly funny.

ladyrose:

you can always ask the people around you to keep an eye on your stuff and just tell them that you are going for a swim. Most people wont mind.

I have however found that the anti chair hogs could be as rude as the chair hogs. I was at a show one night with my gf at the time and another couple. It was about 10 minutes before the show was about to start. The two ladies went to the bar to get drinks. Myself and the other gentleman waited at the seats. Two people came up and demanded we give up the seats. I explained that the ladies were at the bar and even proceeded to point them out since they could be seen from our seats. Once the women got back they stormed off very annoyed and we got dirty looks the rest of the trip....i found it incredibly funny.

Sad but this is sooo true. You made a good point to tell someone your in the pool. The shows are just as bad LOL...

ladyrose:

Originally Posted by wilson9112

Sad but this is sooo true. You made a good point to tell someone your in the pool. The shows are just as bad LOL...

Thanks ^_^

I'll do that!

This is one of the 6 reasons we don't book mass market cruise ships. The chair hogs hit the shows as well!

You're right about that. I was nearly pushed to the floor by one woman trying to run for some seats at the Steve Morris show. :mad: She ended holding 5 and said some pretty insulting things to me. Must have been the way I looked at her... she literally pushed an shoved her way through also almost knocking down this eldery woman. Not one word came out of my mouth, however my facial expression said it all to her!!:D

Not the classiest of all woman..ya know..

Archived