Don't you just love CHAIR HOGS!!!

wilson9112

Every cruise I find it hard to get a lounge by the pool. Every cruise someone puts their books, towels, etc to hold a spot that they don't even use. Many hours go by while people are waiting for an UNUSED chair to become available?.......Don't you just love that they hold their spot and then go to breakfast?.....Something needs to be done about these chair hogs....finally!........................ANY SUGGESTIONS!!

Try sailing with Royal Caribbean. I understand that if a chair is held for more than 30 minutes and the only thing using it is a book or towel that, that chair will immediately become available to the next live body.

Idea……I think every passenger should be issued with a cardboard clock. If you are leaving a chair then you set the clock at the time you leave it. Your personal items can then be removed at the stroke of THIRTY MINUTES by a summoned steward…….easy. I want to patent my idea and sell the cardboard clocks to cruise lines …..Regards Neil :D

:D Perhaps we could have solar towels.... you've seen the T-shirts where the color appears after so much time in the sun.

So after sitting exposed to the sun a "piggy in a chair" would appear in color - perhaps with an invitation to "take this chair!":p

• 7 months later...

Here's an idea how to hang on to a chair while you're going to the buffet or pool or WC. I read this on another forum somewhere...

Take one of those kitchen timers on your cruise with you, set it to 30 minutes, and leave it in the chair. That way people will know that someone is coming, and if you aren't back by the time it goes off, the chair is fair game. :D

I'm going to try this one myself, and I'll let everyone know how it works.

Now if only the cruise lines would use them and enforce them. As an alternate, you can always wait for say, 30 mins. and quietly remove the items and give them to a deck attendant or towel guy. Just say, "I think somebody lost (abandoned?) these, they've been sitting here a while". When the guilty party comes back (IF they come back), just politely say, "There wasn't anything on this chair. Check with the deck attendant"
I will never stand around for 30 minutes waiting to see if anyone's going to claim a chair -- it's my vacation too! It's pretty obvious which chairs are actually being used and which chairs are just "reserved". Toss that stuff as soon as you get to the pool.

I guess we have all seen some pretty bad things out there. On my last Carnival cruise (11/06, Valor) there was a fight in the show lounge with some blood drawn over couple chairs with good view. Mind you, there were plenty of chairs available on the balcony.

To be honest, I have never had problems finding chairs or confronting chair hogs. What I normally do is get up around 8 am, put bathing suit on and get my DH half awake (OK, may be quarter) and head for the pool deck. I don't like chairs right by the pool (too many splashing and loud kids normally), so we get 2 chairs 3-4 rows back or on the bleachers around the pool. Then I go get breakfast, go to gym, etc., while my DH enjoys his snooze in the sun (this is his favorite part of the cruise :) ). I am never gone more then an hour and all this time he is there in the chair next to mine. Here is the question though - "Am I a "chair hog"? I've never considered myself one, especially comared to other people around (on our last RCI cruise one Jersey family routinely "reserved" 2 rows of 5 chairs starting at like 6 am), but would like to know your opinion!

I do think that chair hogging is a problem and don't want to contribute to it.

Your husband is not a chair hog, but you are. If you're reserving a chair for later use and you're off eating or working out, you're a chair hog.

...my 3yo dd is a chair hog!!! We've got lounges by our pool at home, and my 3yo very carefully placed her towel on it before jumping in the pool. When I sat in "her" chair I got scolded by my tiny chair hog, who hadn't even sat there yet! lol. DH told her that would get her kicked off a cruise ship, but she didn't care. :)

There probably always was and always will be people who are chair hogs. It is in their genetic pool. I have seen it all over the ship at the theater, poolside, etc. I believe the actual word to be used is inconsiderate and selfish :D

A quick (and must likely stupid question >_< ),

This is my DH and my 1st cruise and we both love to swim.

If we put our towels, books, drinks down on a chair and go swimming (we swim for 30-45 mins at a time) will someone move our stuff?

Thanks ^_^

Roni

ladyrose:

you can always ask the people around you to keep an eye on your stuff and just tell them that you are going for a swim. Most people wont mind.

I have however found that the anti chair hogs could be as rude as the chair hogs. I was at a show one night with my gf at the time and another couple. It was about 10 minutes before the show was about to start. The two ladies went to the bar to get drinks. Myself and the other gentleman waited at the seats. Two people came up and demanded we give up the seats. I explained that the ladies were at the bar and even proceeded to point them out since they could be seen from our seats. Once the women got back they stormed off very annoyed and we got dirty looks the rest of the trip....i found it incredibly funny.

I like that, but when they ask me for my card they will know and I will be charged BUT ITS WORTH IT LOL.................:D

I was thinking the same thing...just take only one deck chair and tell the people around that you'll be right there in the pool. Odds are that at least one of them will be there the whole time to point and say "they are right there."

One thing about if people would stop being chair hogs, it would make it easier on those who get up and jump in the pool for 15 minutes or go to a show and while waiting for the show to start, make a pit stop while friends are still in their seats. Probably in that case, if just one person does that at a time, while the others are seated, it doesn't look as bad. But if one person is holding seats for several people, I wouldn't blame anyone for being peeved.

Another thing suggested has been installing some cubbyholes so people can place their towels, etc. in them, while hitting the pool. Then they could go to an available deck chair to dry off and relax.

About moving things around just to play with people's heads. I don't think a waiter will rat you out. In fact, as long as they can't be blamed, they may silently applaud you.

One more thing to consider is that often parents want to be near the pool to make sure their kids are okay (and behaving). If our girl is in the pool, one of us is going to be nearby. So often some people have a reason to be near the pool.

I'm leaning towards "yes, you fit the description." How long are you in the chair compared to how long are you out of it? That's the deciding information, not whether DH is there snoozing or not.

Technically, you are. If it becomes crowded and there aren't any more chairs (or as I stated above, if you are by the pool and there are parents who would like to watch their kids and need a place nearby to sit), your dh should be gracious enough to agree to give up a requested chair if you are going to be gone for more than 30 minutes.

...my 3yo dd is a chair hog!!! We've got lounges by our pool at home, and my 3yo very carefully placed her towel on it before jumping in the pool. When I sat in "her" chair I got scolded by my tiny chair hog, who hadn't even sat there yet! lol. DH told her that would get her kicked off a cruise ship, but she didn't care. :)

If my girl did that to me, I would use that as a time to explain to her that that's being selfish. Even at 3, they can learn this. On some cruises, I'll even share a chair with my girl when she gets out of the pool (I'm the one parked in the chair with a chick lit book).

Every cruise I find it hard to get a lounge by the pool. Every cruise someone puts their books, towels, etc to hold a spot that they don't even use. Many hours go by while people are waiting for an UNUSED chair to become available?.......Don't you just love that they hold their spot and then go to breakfast?.....Something needs to be done about these chair hogs....finally!........................ANY SUGGESTIONS!!

Here's one for you. We were on a cruise and when we got back from our excursion, we went to the lido deck to get some sun. We got a couple chairs beside a couple hogs. When they did arrive at their saved chairs, we overheard them talking about the excursion that they were on. THEY SAVED THE CHAIRS AND WEREN'T EVEN ON THE SHIP!!

[quote name=Cruisin' Chick;15406739

If my girl did that to me' date=' I would use that as a time to explain to her that that's being selfish. Even at 3, they can learn this. On some cruises, I'll even share a chair with my girl when she gets out of the pool (I'm the one parked in the chair with a chick lit book).[/quote]

We were at home, and laughed it off because it was funny to us at the time. She didn't get nasty about it, just your typical toddler reaction of "Mine".

We were on Destiny in January and there was a group of hogs!!! We went out to enjoy some sun and 2 rows of loungers had these ugly orange t shirts draped over them but no one sitting in them - grrrrr but then I just ordered a drink and relaxed in a lounger on the next level.

We were on Destiny in January and there was a group of hogs!!! We went out to enjoy some sun and 2 rows of loungers had these ugly orange t shirts draped over them but no one sitting in them - grrrrr but then I just ordered a drink and relaxed in a lounger on the next level.

Over several cruises I developed a technique to help my felow passengers and thwart lounge hogs. After seeing a "saved" lounge go unused for more than half an hour I would simply toss the ship's towel into the nearest used towel bin. A magazine would be placed to the side of the deck. I never wanted to fool with someone's clothes or a real book -- but the distinction does not matter too much -- most hogs just use ships towels orold magazines. Over a couple of hour period on one cruise I cleared more than twenty lounges.

Over several cruises I developed a technique to help my felow passengers and thwart lounge hogs. After seeing a "saved" lounge go unused for more than half an hour I would simply toss the ship's towel into the nearest used towel bin. A magazine would be placed to the side of the deck. I never wanted to fool with someone's clothes or a real book -- but the distinction does not matter too much -- most hogs just use ships towels orold magazines. Over a couple of hour period on one cruise I cleared more than twenty lounges.

Good for you. I wish you were traveling on all my cruises. This is a solveable problem by the cruise lines if they really wanted to solve the problem. I am sure that we all have ideas that would work if used.

I just might try your approach next time in order to help my fellow cruisers.

I can't believe I've allowed myself to be suckered into posting on this topic, but for what it's worth...

Wouldn't it be nice if folks who have no intention of getting in the pool, but only want to sunbathe, would use loungers farther away from the pool or even the loungers on one of the other decks?

If that happened, folks who are actually using the pool could place their towels, shoes, etc. where their "stuff" is in sight while they swim.

I do like the idea (and have suggested it to RCCL) that lockers are placed near the pool for use by those of us who want to swim but don't want to lay by the pool before or after swimming.

There probably always was and always will be people who are chair hogs. It is in their genetic pool. I have seen it all over the ship at the theater, poolside, etc. I believe the actual word to be used is inconsiderate and selfish :D

Well said!

Here's an idea how to hang on to a chair while you're going to the buffet or pool or WC. I read this on another forum somewhere...

Take one of those kitchen timers on your cruise with you, set it to 30 minutes, and leave it in the chair. That way people will know that someone is coming, and if you aren't back by the time it goes off, the chair is fair game. :D

I'm going to try this one myself, and I'll let everyone know how it works.

That's the very definition of a chair hog, in my opinion. If you leave your chair to swim, or quickly get something out of your cabin, etc. that is fine.

But if you're going to breakfast, lunch, a workout, etc. you are a chair hog! 30 minutes isn't the issue. If you leave the entire pool area for another activity, take your stuff with you! If everyone did that there would be plenty of room.

I have moved people's things before (usually just a towel) because I'm sick of seening entire rows of chairs "saved" with nobody in sight for hours. Here's the problem though. It can lead to some ugly scenes, and you're "living" with these people for a week.

One time we did this (and I'm always very polite about it) the people came back with the old "we were sitting there." I explained we were one deck up and didn't see anybody "sitting" there for an hour and a half and assumed nobody was using them. "But our towels were right here...they were saved!!!" I'm sorry sir, they clearly weren't being used, and there's lots of other passengers was my reply.

I'm not a confrontational person my nature, but it was the principle. He wasn't budging either. We both had children present, by the way. So he starts lobbing F bombs and wants to fight. I remained calm and said sir, I'm 38 (at the time) and you're 40 something. I'm too old to fight, and I know you are. Our children are here, let's act like adults. It's not right to "save" chairs that long, and I'll get someone over here to explain that to you if you would like. Finally his wife stepped in, made a snippy comment, and they left.

But we ran into them several times throughout the week, causing some awkward moments. That's why I'm real hesitant to take action becuase it's VACATION, I don't need that stress.

Here's a suggestion: Go to Alaska on a cruise. Every lounge chair available on our last cruise (to Alaska)...no chair hogs, no belly flop contest, no pink frozen drinks.

During our last cruise, there was a fight regarding use of the chairs (chair hogs). One woman ("A") who had been "saving" a chair came back to find the chair occupied by another woman ("B"). She ("A") summarily sat on the other woman ("B") who had some food in her hands which went flying onto woman ("A"). Said woman ("A") called security and had the other woman ("B") taken away for assault (by food). The situation was resolved by the captain, as it was all on the ships video monitoring system. Woman ("B") was found not to have "assaulted" woman ("A"). The result was an announcement by the cruise director not to save chairs.

Cruising sure can be interesting!

Chair hogs... really is this a problem? I never seem to have such a problem.

I am very proactive in turning things I find such as towels, sunglasses, books and other items in at Lost and Found. I find it is the only right thing to do when people lose stuff by forgetting they left said items on deck chairs and lounge chairs.

There have been a few times when people have inquired as to where their stuff went and I cheerfully say I was trying to do the right thing and turned it in at Lost and Found. I always say I hope they would be so kind to do the same for me if they find some Item I lost, misplaced or forgot where I left it.

Truly, it is the only polite and civilized thing to do.

During our last cruise, there was a fight regarding use of the chairs (chair hogs). One woman ("A") who had been "saving" a chair came back to find the chair occupied by another woman ("B"). She ("A") summarily sat on the other woman ("B") who had some food in her hands which went flying onto woman ("A"). Said woman ("A") called security and had the other woman ("B") taken away for assault (by food). The situation was resolved by the captain, as it was all on the ships video monitoring system. Woman ("B") was found not to have "assaulted" woman ("A"). The result was an announcement by the cruise director not to save chairs.

Cruising sure can be interesting!

Get out!? This is hysterical! People always always just amaze me! :D

Archived