Which one way to Rome would you pick????

martyap

I can book my 10/24/08 flight from JFK to Rome and have narrowed it to three choices. I've never used any of these airlines (usually fly AA) and have never booked through a consolidator (Kayak)....Please give me your expert advice.

1. Direct booking w/Aer Lingus

JFK to DUB to FCO $520

2. Kayak booking - Swiss

JFK to ZUR to FCO $478

3. Kayak booking - Delta

JFK to FCO direct/non stop $549

Would certainly feel better with a direct flight but have never used a consolidator so I need your help.....Thanks!!!!!

Also....if I use Kayak does it matter if I book on my own or use my TA???

Karen

Delta direct non-stop, you won't be sorry. Too many variables when you're going with stops in other countries, possible customs problems, less chances for mechanical breakdowns, weather, air traffic control problems, etc. :) My husband is a pilot for AA.

SWISS through Zurich-best service, small, easy airport to transit.

I sure wouldn't get on a Delta flight unless you want more flight changes and cancellations than normal Delta STILL has not figured out how to run an airline (much like US Air).

Aer Lingus would be the second choice, only because of the price. You clear customs going TO the US in Dublin-fast, easy and NO waiting at JFK in long immigration lines. At JFK, grab your luggage and go through customs.

Would certainly feel better with a direct flight but have never used a consolidator so I need your help.....Thanks!!!!!

Also....if I use Kayak does it matter if I book on my own or use my TA???

Karen

Kayak is NOT a booking agent they are just a search engine much like google.

Once they give you flight details you are directed to the airline or online booking company for the actual booking.

Check out the airlines own website for any sales

I vote for the Delta or Swiss air flights

I have to disagree with Greatam. I think Delta is a great choice. Just the fact that you get a direct flight is one key reason as it is less likely that you have baggage issues given there are no connecting flights. You will not have to deal with any missed connection issues either. Additionally, I think the quality of flight and staff of Delta is certainly worth it as well. JFK currently has lots of traffic issues and many times you are delayed over an hour or so on the runways waiting for take off. If you have a direct flight, that's a non-issue.

By the way, USAir in my book is a nightmare and has no clue - so clearly greatam and I have differences of opinions on airline quality. Their product is very low quality and all one has to do is a little research on their equipment and disgruntled staff to see that.

As for flight times, every airline changes their flight schedules and when you are booking almost a year out you can expect that to happen with every airline. With a destination of FCO, I doubt you will see much fluxuation in this schedule other than by a few hours or so. Again, since there are no connection issues, it should no make a difference but you should just be diligent about checking the airlines website frequently until the day of departure. I'd do that no matter what airline I was flying.

You also need to check baggage restrictions on the other airlines. I'm not sure, but I think AerLingus may have different limitations, but that should be factored in.

Its a little early for the deals. Jan-Feb better.I always want to get FF miles for longer trips. I think its B or Y class of tickets, available from consolidators.I have gotten good pricing from smaller agencies also. Zurich airport is small, easy. Swiss (Star Alliance miles), works well but I prefer Luftansa for Europe.

By the way, USAir in my book is a nightmare and has no clue - so clearly greatam and I have differences of opinions on airline quality. Their product is very low quality and all one has to do is a little research on their equipment and disgruntled staff to see that.

Guess I didn't make myself clear. US Air (Doug Parker and group) took a perfectly decent little airline (Am West) and merged it with a failing airline. Took the perfectly decent little airline to the bottom of the heap in a very short time. I have over 200,000 US Air miles and am currently trying to trade for some other miles-I won't fly US Air anymore, even if it is free.

As for flight times, every airline changes their flight schedules and when you are booking almost a year out you can expect that to happen with every airline. With a destination of FCO, I doubt you will see much fluxuation in this schedule other than by a few hours or so. Again, since there are no connection issues, it should no make a difference but you should just be diligent about checking the airlines website frequently until the day of departure. I'd do that no matter what airline I was flying.

Delta has gotten so bad with flight changes/cancellations that we have had to pull all our freight going through ATL. Can't deal with pallets of perishable product left on the tarmac. JFK to Europe has not been as bad, but Delta is a very poorly run airline, IMHO. Even through bankruptcy, Delta has NOT figured out how to run an airline. And a United/Delta merger is laughable. Two semi failing airlines-is this another Doug Parker merger????

You also need to check baggage restrictions on the other airlines. I'm not sure, but I think AerLingus may have different limitations, but that should be factored in.

AerLingus allows two bags/50 pounds each per person. AND the really neat thing about AerLingus (besides their cheap one ways)-IF you continue your trip IN EUROPE within a 2 week period of the original USA departure on other AerLingus flights, your baggage allowance continues with you. Example: You can fly to Dublin ex JFK, continue to FCO, then fly to Amsterdam for a few days, back to FCO, all with the same USA luggage allowance. The ONLY airline I know that will do that in Europe, WITHOUT buying business class tickets.

AerLingus allows two bags/50 pounds each per person. AND the really neat thing about AerLingus (besides their cheap one ways)-IF you continue your trip IN EUROPE within a 2 week period of the original USA departure on other AerLingus flights, your baggage allowance continues with you. Example: You can fly to Dublin ex JFK, continue to FCO, then fly to Amsterdam for a few days, back to FCO, all with the same USA luggage allowance. The ONLY airline I know that will do that in Europe, WITHOUT buying business class tickets.

Yes, I knew they were different which is why I suggested they look at the websites for baggage limits. Having not flown them, I only knew they were different, just not the specifics. This certainly would be important if you are carrying lots of bags. (Delta does allow the 2 bags/50 lbs each, don't know about Swiss)

Austrian Airlines allows the same transatlantic luggage allowance for intra-European flights no matter how long the stop in Vienna is if booked on the same ticket and booked through at least certain booking sources (at least the ones I use).

Having said that, I personally would choose Delta but keep a close watch on schedule changes. Funny, I much prefer Delta to Northwest and I fly both a pretty fair amount (over 120K miles between them in 2007). Just watch the schedule changes.

Fortunately Delta won't leave passengers on the tarmac - a) we are not cargo, b) security reasons :D

Off topic but there is a Bistro in Bellmore that the former chef and favorite waiter from Cassis in Huntington worked. Have you been there? (sorry forgot the name). Also have you cruised on other lines then Carnival?

Not certain which Bistro you are referring to...there are several.

I found a $481 Delta non-stop JFK-FCO for $481 complete on vayama.com

Have read some reviews that are positive. Anyone ever use Vayama????

Seems that using consolidator tickets is pretty common with some upside and some downside.....have to take our chances. Delta has several flights from JFK-FCO so it should work out. I agree that taking a direct flight has great advantages so I think I'll take my chances with Delta...............

Marty

We flew JFK to Venice and back via Rome to JFK this summer on Delta, the flight to Venice was OK (Ifly home to the UK on BA from Toronto every year and love them so I have something to compare it with) The flight back from Rome was an absolute nightmare. Delta flights were made to line up for 2 hours in Rome to even get to check in - no other airline had this, we were late taking off and when landing in JFK found our flight to Buffalo was cancelled until the next day. The on ground agents for Delta were extremely obnoxious, rude and unhelpful doesn't even cover it. I have never been so angry in my life at the way travellers were treated. It left a really bad taste and if there is any other way to fly than Delta I would take it. just a personal experience but that's all I have to go by.

Terry

We flew JFK to Venice and back via Rome to JFK this summer on Delta, the flight to Venice was OK (Ifly home to the UK on BA from Toronto every year and love them so I have something to compare it with) The flight back from Rome was an absolute nightmare. Delta flights were made to line up for 2 hours in Rome to even get to check in - no other airline had this, we were late taking off and when landing in JFK found our flight to Buffalo was cancelled until the next day. The on ground agents for Delta were extremely obnoxious, rude and unhelpful doesn't even cover it. I have never been so angry in my life at the way travellers were treated. It left a really bad taste and if there is any other way to fly than Delta I would take it. just a personal experience but that's all I have to go by.

Terry

Its unfortunate you had issues with them. As is typical, all it takes is one bad experience to "swear off"ever using them again. I travel a ton for both business and pleasure and have learned to take much of it in stride. I've run into those types of situations with United, USAir and Southwest, so I don't think anyone is immune. The best one can do is investigate, learn their options (ie., alternate flights for missed connections,etc). We are our own best advocates.

Karen, in the end, for the $50.00 or so more I would go with the Delta flight to avoid the layover and take advantage of the Direct Flight. Almost every airline has issues given the financial pressures that many were/are under and clearly flying is not what it used to be. Mind you I am not a big Delta fan but I am not a fan of many of the airlines. So, sometimes one has to look at practicality and getting a direct at the price quoted for a one way flight looks like a good approach to me.

If you don't mind a layover then I would go with Swiss. It had the lowest prices. What I would do is carefully look at their connection. Make sure there is a lot of time between the two flights. If there is not, I would just rule it out. If there is, and you don't mind the layover consider it. I have flown through Zurich and it is a nice aiport and Swiss has many flights to and from Zurich. But, to me the direct flight looks great and for the extra few dollars I would go through direct. Is Delta great. No, not in my opinion but we are not talking about buying the plane. We're talking just taking one flight from New York to Rome.

Keith

Thanks Keith..... We actually found the non-stop Delta on vayama.com for $481....great price! We know all airlines have horror stories and I'm sure Delta has its fair share. Flying direct makes the most sense. There are several Delta flights to Rome after ours + we're flying four days early to spend time in Rome + we have trip insurance.........as long as we don't need a pilot's license we should be OK......Karen

Karen, that's great. The fact that you are flying in several days ahead is also great and something I highly recommend to people. It will give you a chance to explore this wonderful area of the world, get over the jet lag, be well rested as you begin your cruise, and also eliminate anxiety/worries should there be a delay in flights.

Keith

Go with the one that you feel most comfortable with at the time. But do read about Delta prior. The better fact about Aerlingus is that you go through customer in Dublin on your return flight to the states, ( they have a us custom officer in Dublin) no waiting in the LONG lines at JFK.

I just found the luggage information on Aerlingus I think they must of raised the weight for overseas flights

Economy Class to/from USA

Free Baggage Allowance:

* A maximum of 2 Bags per passenger.

* A maximum of 36kgs (80lbs) in total weight between two bags when weighed together.

* Infant baggage allowance is 10kgs (22lbs) in addition to one collapsible stroller.

* No one bag to weigh more than 32 kgs (70lbs).

* For Aer Lingus journeys between North America and UK/Europe, the baggage allowance for North America flights will apply to the entire journey within two weeks of initial departure date.

I just found the luggage information on Aerlingus I think they must of raised the weight for overseas flights

They actually lowered it. A month ago, it was 2 bags/50 pounds each.

ALL airlines that fly into and out of the US MUST have a 2 BAG limit. It was 50 pounds per bag that was REQUIRED through various treaties, conventions and agreements.

Maybe in the fine print of some airline/FAA/other alphabet agency inter company memo, there is an obscure line that allows Aer Lingus to drop the baggage limit. I am VERY surprised. I wonder how AerLingus is getting away with the reduced luggage allowance. And hold on to your shorts-if one European carrier is allowed to reduce the weight limit, the rest will try.

The weight limit was one of the things that made AerLingus sooo inviting-the normal 2 bag, 100 pound weight limit per person ex USA, which continued through Europe, even if you made a couple of stop offs. Well, 80 pounds is still pretty good (almost double over what most carriers allow intra Europe in coach) and if you go over, it is only $50.00 up to 100 pounds. I wonder if you only pay once, or have to keep paying on every flight???? Inquiring minds want to know.

• 2 weeks later...
Not certain which Bistro you are referring to...there are several.

I found a $481 Delta non-stop JFK-FCO for $481 complete on vayama.com

Have read some reviews that are positive. Anyone ever use Vayama????

Seems that using consolidator tickets is pretty common with some upside and some downside.....have to take our chances. Delta has several flights from JFK-FCO so it should work out. I agree that taking a direct flight has great advantages so I think I'll take my chances with Delta...............

Marty

HI

This may be to late but have you checked out Lessno.com they were about $45.00 a seat cheaper than Vayama on our 11/03/2008 Ind to fco flight and we had our E tickets confirmed within a few hours after we ordered the flight

Archived