Mexico: Saying No to cruise ships?

Salty Dawg

I'm sure it is a contentious issue in many places. As the ships get larger and larger, the shore facilities are having a more difficult time providing the facilities to handle the increasing number of passengers. Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Still, don't we as passengers already pay port fees in addition to bringing in plenty of revenue? I see this being very similar to the daily fees imposed by local municipalities on hotel rooms. Ostensibly these are to cover the cost of services that might be required by visitors, but in reality it is simply a means to tax travelers to subsidize local government while avoiding the politically sensitive issue of taxing the local population.

Can you imagine the hue and cry if the US government imposed an "entry fee" on all visitors from overseas?

They already do.......and have for over 35 years...with the price going up on a regular basis......

"The $15.40 US International Arrival Tax applies to any air

transportation beginning outside the US and ending in the US

(including Alaska or Hawaii), with the exception of

transportation from ports or stations in the Buffer Zone to the

US."

If you recall, Alaska taxes $5.00 a passenger....but looks like that's headed for the toilet due to the reduction in ship arrivals.

The overcrowding is one of the main reasons I have no desire to go back to the Caribbean at this time on a cruise ship. They are all so massive now, and most ports seem to have more than one of these behemoths in port on any given day. That's 5k pax plus crew in a tiny port. Not my idea of tranquillity on a quiet beach.

I agree. I still cruise the Caribbean but don't get off the ship too often. I like to have lunch at a favorite shore restaurant now and then or rent a car in Cayman and head for Rum Point but, otherwise, I'm happy to stay onboard.

Was Cozumel in December and again in January on different Carnival ships. They've finally reopened the pier that was destroyed during the hurricanes a few years back....and have rebuilt many of the stores.

But......

The whole place looks like it was designed by the Disney Corporation. The only things that still maintained that feel of being in Mexico was Pancho's Backyard...which suffered little damage..and Fat Tuesdays.

The rest of the place can be found in Walt Disney World.

I still like St. Maarten and San Juan - mostly enjoy St. Thomas. But, I go off on my own and get away from the tourist areas - or anywhere a ships excursion might be found. I like Jamaica....again, on my own.

Love the newer ports in Belize and Costa Maya......

Don't like Acapulco (but I never really did), but PVR is nice if you get out of town. I like Mismaloya beach.

I cruise for the sea and don't really care where it goes. I don't like offloading on an island with 15,000 other people at all...and won't do it.

thank you for sharing. I would think Mexico would happily take some additional pax...last week we didnt have more than 2 ships in port on any day and it didnt seem busy on any day other than Cabo. With the ever growing number of ships that are being built and the overcrowded Caribbean Ports I would think that Mexico would be anxious to take on some additional revenue from new arrivals

I personally prefer the Eastern Caribbean anyway. Mexico will only be hurting itself. Those sodas and trinkets add up at the end of day. Been there several times and last time found the people to be very uppety and not friendly at all. Did not feel very comfortable and got back on ship almost right away. I don't need attitude when I am spending my hard earned money.So Mexico go ahead and add another tax, I won't be there. My Opinion

Alaska's been taking on a $50 per head charge for awhile. I believe it's Royal Caribbean (don't remember for sure) is going to stop cruising up there next year or the year after.

The taxes are being charged for the pollution, etc.

They already do.......and have for over 35 years...with the price going up on a regular basis......

"The $15.40 US International Arrival Tax applies to any air

transportation beginning outside the US and ending in the US

(including Alaska or Hawaii)' date=' with the exception of[/font']

transportation from ports or stations in the Buffer Zone to the

US."

If you recall, Alaska taxes $5.00 a passenger....but looks like that's headed for the toilet due to the reduction in ship arrivals.

Thanks for the ejimication, G'ma...from a post I made 5 years ago. ROFL :rolleyes:

My friend went on a diving holiday to Cozumel. He informs me that on 'Port Days' the resturants hike their prices as do other shops just because they know they can get away with it. Despite some islanders not baing happy about the situation I expect an equal number would hate the loss of income if the ships stopped? Maybe a year of altered itineraries to bypass the complaining ports would be a good thing, if some of the other/ unused ports benefitted instead?

Also even if the cruise companies do own the shops (not something I 'like' the thought of) I bet the stipulation is that the locals get to work there?

Looks like you resurrected an old thread that much have been resolved by now:rolleyes:

Egads, did no one bother to check the date of the article posted.

It is five years old!!!!!!!!!

Mexico beach towns say NO to cruise ships