Amazon Cruise to Manaus-Worth Doing?

PescadoAmarillo

It's a cold day here, and we are planning our January 2009 cruises. I just moved FCCs to the Pacific Princess Manaus to FLL cruise, simply based on a photo in Princess's 2008 calendar (aerial shot of the Amazon river...gorgeous). Can anyone who has done this itinerary comment on what you saw/did at the Amazon ports and along the way? We've done the southern part of South America, and are looking for something different, but are trying to decide between the 14 night Royal Princess (FLL to FLL) which goes to Devil's Island, or the 14 night Pacific Princess (Manaus to FLL). Any thoughts?

I think Manaus and the Amazon are definitely worth doing -- I've done it twice.

Manaus is a fascinating city from the standpoint that it has a history of having been the capital of the rubber industry before vulcanization. There was enormous wealth and the Opera House is something to be seen. It's now a huge city that is re-inventing itself in the high tech sector. Not a lot of the city is "pretty" with much poverty. It's on the Rio Negro right above where it meets with the Amazon. There are some really interesting trips into the jungle to see how people live, and the alligators.

The Amazon is absolutely HUGE. You think you're seeing the other bank but then are told, "That's just an island in the middle." The people living along the river are generally poor with some barely surviving. The only way to get to Manaus other than by air is along the river -- it's the lifeblood for over half of Brazil. You don't see the begging or harrassing you frequently see on Caribbean islands and elsewhere. The people seem to be hard-working.

Something to consider if you do choose to cruise from Manaus is that you would have to get a Brazilian visa (a hassle and $100) as well as a yellow fever shot. Plus, air transportation from the U.S. to Manaus is infrequent and expensive (which is why Princess charters flights). Most of the flights come from Europe or from Rio or Brazilia.

We've booked this cruise for March 27, 2009 FLL/Manaus and the next one April 10th, Manaus/FLL. We get 28 days with the B2B and don't need to bother will expensive air. Almost like getting one person free. :) Also makes the cost of the Brazilian Visa more palatable.

Pia

Jeannie, Robert and I did this cruise B2B on the Regal last year...it was wonderful...Little Ruthie from our Sapphire cruise was also on the Regal..so nice to see her again.

The ports were great...Fll, Tortola, Dominica,Port of Spain, Devil's Island, Santarem, Boca de Valeria and then overnights in Manaus, then the same on return...so we were able to do different excursions and see more of each port which we loved...While in Manaus we took a fascinating boat trip into the jungle at night to see the caymans and experience the sounds of the jungle night sounds. The meeting of the waters which is just down river from Manaus was amazing. Robert fished for and caught Pirahna. We visited the prison on Devil's Island that was the subject of the movie Papillion, very interesting, but I felt the suffering of the prisoners the whole time I was there...If you are on the fence about this cruise I would say to go for it. If you have time to travel you might inquire booking this B2B...it was almost the same as 1 cruise with airfare. We both give it a thumbs up. Sissy

This was my first 'modern day' cruise, Royal Princess in 1999. I had already beenn to Manaus twice, and both times there were cruise ships at the floating dock...And I wanted to be on that ship! Boca de valeria is a little Indian village that is pretty much subsidozed by Princess...It's a tender port. At Boca and Santarem, you can see miniature versions of the meeting of the waters. My first trip to Manaus was a commercial flight non-stop from Miami. But commercial flights do not have enough seats to handle a ship full of cruisers, thus the charters. Be prepared for your flight to be late...It will be arriving full of the cruisers taking your place on the ship(if your cruise ends in Manaus...). EM

Thanks everyone, for your input. I had truly never seriously considered this itinerary until we received our Captain's Circle $99 balcony upgrade brochure last weekend, and then the Princess 2008 calendar on Wednesday. I guess that marketing really pays off! Boca de...whatever sounds a bit like the San Blas islands in Panama, and we loved it there. We were talking about it over dinner last night and decided we needed some input on the Brazilian ports, and I knew my CC friends would come through!

We are set with Yellow Fever shots (mine from my 2002 trip to Brazil...they're good for 10 years, right?) and my husband from the military, but, I agree, going through the Brazilian visa process again is a bit of a hassle. B2B sounds wonderful, but I would have to do some serious talking, Cissy, to get Greg back on a ship for a month again. Maybe as B2B cruises...

We've also booked the Royal 14 night Caribbean out of FLL which goes as far south as Devil's Island. We are intrigued by the closeness to home of both these cruises, as well as the stops in St. Barts and Tobago, both of which would be new to us (and that's getting hard to do in the Caribbean).

Sissy...Hi to Robert and hope you have a great Christmas season! Enjoy those grandbabies!! My twins are getting too soon big...4 now, with 1000's of questions about this Santa Claus thing. BTW, email me (you have the address) if you'd like some great walking ideas for Sydney and Auckland. I think we walked 10-15 miles a day during our pre-cruise stay last year and during our one day in Auckland. Have a great cruise!

It's a very worthwhile cruise. I don't know if first timers would care for it as much though - lot's of days with no ports (which we actually enjoy).

Our ship hit a sandbar on the way up and got stuck for a few hours. And, it hit another sandbar on the way down, which threw things off the shelves in the shops. It did make for an exciting cruise.

Bill

Brazil Visa is valid for 10 years.

Hope you know this!

20. My Brazilian tourist visa stamp is valid until 2009, but my passport expired. Do I need to go through the whole visa process again?

No. You can travel to Brazil carrying your expired passport, with the Brazilian visa stamped on it, attached to your new passport. May we suggest you to staple both passports together to make sure you have them both at the moment you enter Brazil.

blank.gifThe link from SF Brazil Consulate is:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_faq_eng.htm#20

/Sultan

but, I agree, going through the Brazilian visa process again is a bit of a hassle. B2B sounds wonderful, but I would have to do some serious talking, Cissy, to get Greg back on a ship for a month again. Maybe as B2B cruises...

Hope you know this!

20. My Brazilian tourist visa stamp is valid until 2009, but my passport expired. Do I need to go through the whole visa process again?

No. You can travel to Brazil carrying your expired passport, with the Brazilian visa stamped on it, attached to your new passport. May we suggest you to staple both passports together to make sure you have them both at the moment you enter Brazil.

/Sultan

Sultan-Thanks so much! I didn't know that, but do now. I received mine in late 2001, so no problem there, and have exactly that situation where the Brazilian visa is on my old passport. I would take both of them if we do the cruise. I feel like it just got $100 cheaper!

So, am I confused here? Is my 9/12/01 yellow fever shot still good?

Hope you know this!

/Sultan

Correction - for Americans, Canadians and Australians the visa is good for 5 years (not 10). From the same faq link you included take a look at #7:

07. I plan to stay in Brazil for six months. Is it possible ?

Not necessarily. The tourist visa allows for multiple entries in Brazil for up to five years (American, Australian and Canadian citizens only) for stays up to 90 days. You may request the Federal Police in Brazil for an extension of stay, provided it does not exceed 180 days. However, you should not assume the Federal Police will grant the extension. But remember that unless you carry a special visa (student visa or a long-term work visa) you cannot stay in Brazil more than 180 days per year (consecutive).

Jim

Jim is right. Be very careful and double-check that it's still valid before leaving; don't assume. We had 5 or 6 people on our cruise who when they went to check in at the hotel with Princess the night for their cruise, discovered that their visas were no longer valid. They had to be rushed to the Brazilian Consulate the next morning before they were allowed on the charter flight. (They missed the early charter.)

And Brazil is very fussy about the Visas.

Back in 3-98, we embarked Royal Princess in Buenos Aires, Argentina, en route Barcelona, Spain.

Among other ports of call en route, there were stops in Rio de Janiero,Brazil and Recife, Brazil.

A party of five was denied boarding in Buenos Aires - they did not have Visas for Brazil. I thought there was going to be a fist-fight between the visa-less people and ship's officers on the pierside.

Even though we were "in-transit", Brazil required Visas. I asked a ship's officer later about the five left behind. He said that the Brazilian authorities, had Princess transported the ones without Visas, might have been fined rather heavily, or Brazil might have refused to let the ship dock!

I doubt insurance (if they had it) would have covered that situation. Pre-cruise documents clearly indicated that Visas for Brazil were required. Apparently that party chose not to read the documentation carefully.

We loved that cruise!

Check out our pics and report at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/royalprincess.html

If you would like more information or details about specific ports, feel free to email at the link on that site.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks for sharing your photos. DW has been strongly suggesting this voyage and those certainly will help her get her way!

Our cruise started in Buenos Aires and there was one woman who didn't have a visa for Brazil. claimed whe didn't know she needed one. they put her off the next day in Montevideo, where she could get a visa and fly to Rio to rejoin the cruise (at her own expense). It's been a while since I got a Brazil visa...The first time, I was short of time so used a visa service. By the time I needed the second one (first was only good six months, or something...1994) in 1996, they had opened a consulate in Atlanta (Olympics, you know) so I decided to drive up and stay overnight, drop off passport one day and pick it up the next. By the time I figured up what I had spent, it came out about what the visa service would have charged me. EM

I think it actually costs more not going through the service. If you do it by mail, there's an additional $10 handling fee, you must send it via express mail and you also must send them a return prepaid express mail folder. Too much bother. I also considered doing the hotel thing. Definitely more $$ that way.

Pia

It's a very worthwhile cruise. I don't know if first timers would care for it as much though - lot's of days with no ports (which we actually enjoy).

Our ship hit a sandbar on the way up and got stuck for a few hours. And, it hit another sandbar on the way down, which threw things off the shelves in the shops. It did make for an exciting cruise.

Bill

I agree it's very worth while but they have bugs bigger than my DOGS!:p

I agree it's very worth while but they have bugs bigger than my DOGS!:p

And, bats too. We had a bat that stayed in an awning up at the pool for over a week. And, one evening, entire groups of the little bounders were flying around our balcony. Since there are over 1,000 cases of rabies a year in the Amazon basin, mostly attributed to bats, I'd strongly recommend staying away from them.

Bill

Archived