Jazzsea checking in

jazzsea

After spending two nights (Friday and Saturday) at the shelter, we spent Sunday night at home and evacuated to Orlando on Monday. As of today, we still have no power at home. Good news. The insurance adjuster called here at the hotel last night and she will be inspecting our house and my dad's house sometime today. Dad has a tree down on his roof and we have some broken windows and water damage and lost our back porch. There was a strange porch in our back yard when we left.

The terrific news is that we are all okay. Just looked at the five day forcast for IVAN and we may head to my brother's house in Virginia. We think that Florida should be renamed the Hurricane State.

We have a two bedroom at the Residence Inn by Sea World. It's wonderful because 92 year old dad can be with us all the time. Murphy the 17 year old cat made the trip with us, too. Thanks to all of you that "prayed" Frances down to a category 2 Hurricane. Anything stronger would have taken our houses. Keep the prayers coming. Only a couple of more months and the 2004 Hurricane season will be over.

Jazzsea - I am glad that you are okay and that everyone is safe. Roofs, windows and decks can be replaced. I remember "Bob" several years ago here on the Cape, we lost a 36' boat and some tree limbs and a few windows but all in all we were all safe. I think the only problem I had with the whole thing was we did not have power for 1 week and with us not having town water only a well it made it difficult without water and 3 teenagers:eek: I was just blessed that we live on a large lake and were able to clean up.....

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers....

Deb

Jazzsea.

Very glad to hear from you, we have all been worried about our Florida friends, Heather has reported on another thread that all is well with her.

Thank god you and your family are all safe and that you still have your homes. Glad that the wheels of progress with the insurance company seem to be turning fast for you. Hopefully you will be back to normal soon.

Carol ...

I am so sorry about the damage to your home and your father's home, but I am glad to know that everyone is okay.

I don't blame you for wanting to go to Virginia and I would encourage you to go. Besides the obvious reasons, the new environment will probably help lift your spirits for a while. Having the constant reminder of all the devastation you have been through is so emotionally draining.

My prayers and thoughts continue to be will all of you.

Thanks for checking in, Carol. We have been worried about all of you.

Sorry to hear your home (and your Dad's) suffered some damage but very happy to hear you all are safe. Hopefully, the insurance adjuster will do her work quickly and you will find contractors to get working on the job.

A nice break in Virginia sounds like a great idea.

Stay safe and keep up that wonderful attitude.

Carol I too am glad you checked in and all your family members and Murphy are unharmed. I know this must seems really terrible but it sounds like you have an excellent insurance company that will get you and your Dad's home fixed quickly.

Now if Ivan can just go away.

Take Care, we hope to hear from you soon.

Great hearing from you, and that you're okay. Debi_D is right ... "stuff" can be replaced. It's a hassle, but far easier to deal with than injuries. Now that you have computer access again, where are you researching for your next cruise????

Great hearing from you, and that you're okay. Debi_D is right ... "stuff" can be replaced. It's a hassle, but far easier to deal with than injuries. Now that you have computer access again, where are you researching for your next cruise????

My guess is it won't be a Carribean cruise:eek:

Jazzsea- So glad you and yours are okay!! Sorry to hear about the damage you sustained. Floridians remain in our prayers. Safe travels to Virginia. Please keep in contact.:cool:

jazzsea

So glad to hear that you all are safe - roofs - material things can be replaced - lives can not.

How is your brother doing in Virgina? Did he get a lot of rain from Frances?

We got 3.6 inches yesterday and another inch today in our area - places north of us got 6 - 8 inches of rain. Lots of evacuations due to flooding. Frances really did a job on a lor of states. Hope to never have another hurricane like her again.

We have been in a few other storms. Several at sea. Hurricane Andrew made landfall 100 miles south of us and still flattened all of our trees and plants.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and prayers.

We're supposed to sail on Rotterdam October 20 - 30, 2004. I think I am going to look forward to it once the clean up at home is done.

Jazzsea, I'm so sorry to hear of the damage to your home. It can be so awful to see so many of the things ruined that you selected or inherited for your home. Sure, it's an opportunity to ..yada yada, and of course, as you say, you are grateful for no injuries and you feel sorry for others.

But the stunned sadness, the sense of disorientation and chaos that must surely come from having your world turned upside down for weeks on end is unimaginable to me. I am sure you are up to the task (and jim hvorhack in Orlando). I just wish you didn't have to be.

Carol -

Take that strange porch and turn it into a gazebo. You know, that whole "...lemons ...lemonade" thing. :) Reminds me of the time (Hurricane Edna, I think) when we found a strange bed in our back yard. Never did find out where it came from.

Take your time about going back home. Wait until its fixed (if you can) and until Ivan's gone on by....

-dave

Carol, I'm so glad to hear you're okay, but heartsick for you to have had so much damage. It's a bit like being stabbed but surviving, isn't it? And no one but nature to get mad at.

But thank heaven you're okay and comfortable for the moment. I'd head to VA 'til at least October;) . This is not a good year for us, is it?

Take good care and get out of storm's way if you can.

Archived