Big thumbs up, Century 1/7-1/12 2008

Leela

Leela, glad you had such a good time! :) We were on for 11 days in Oct/Nov. in the Med, and LOVED the ship. I wrote a review and posted it here- Oct. 22 Century Cruise, or some such title, but one of the things I posted there was about the Martini Bar...ice bar was working fine...but I wasn't wild about the decor-nothing bad, just not my taste....it didn't really phase me. I DID admit, though, that they could have had bare bulbs hanging from the ceiling, and chicken crates for seats, and I still would have been there every night for Sudi's Manhattans and Martinis....:D

Hmmm. Maybe it's time for a drink...

(Did I know that we were "neighbors?" Work in the City but am out in "The WC," making me a bridge AND tunnel person!)

Andrew

I am sailing on 02/04/08 with 2 children 16 and 10 this time of year are there many children on board? Also are the people on board pretty friendly and easy to talk to or keep to them selves? First time cruiser and single parent might be nice to make some friends.

Hi, you are on my sailing. Come on over to our Roll Call board.

Here:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=511883

There is a 15 year old boy on the board, who is sailing with his mother. He is looking for kids to hang with, so perhaps you can set up a meeting with your 16 year old.

ice bar was working fine...but I wasn't wild about the decor-nothing bad, just not my taste....

It was awfully white...I did like the color-changing chandeliers, though.

that they could have had bare bulbs hanging from the ceiling, and chicken crates for seats, and I still would have been there every night for Sudi's Manhattans and Martinis....:D

I am sooo right there :)

I think the prettiest bar on the Celebrity ships is always Michael's Club, and I think the best bar is always the Martini Bar. Sometimes it seems kind of a shame that Michael's Club wasn't the Martini Bar.

Hmmm. Maybe it's time for a drink...

It is in my house! And I even have one of those Celebrity "Murano" martini glasses to drink it out of :)

(Did I know that we were "neighbors?" Work in the City but am out in "The WC," making me a bridge AND tunnel person!)

I live in the City, and have for 14 years now :) I keep traveling the world looking for a place I'd rather like to live, but I haven't found one yet.

I forgot to mention that my first Celebrity cruise was on pre-renovation Century. She was lovely then and even better now. I really hope that Mercury and Galaxy get the same treatment.

Hi, you are on my sailing. Come on over to our Roll Call board.

Here:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=511883

There is a 15 year old boy on the board, who is sailing with his mother. He is looking for kids to hang with, so perhaps you can set up a meeting with your 16 year old.

Thanks for the roll call info. I was wondering how to find people on my cruise.

I had read quite a few very negative and critical posts about the Century from the previous sailings and it really made me nervous, as it was the first time ever sailing Celebrity. I posted my concerns and had many people reassured me that it really was a nice ship and to just keep an open mind. (Thank-you!)

Previous to this, I had sailed on Norwegian, Carnival and Raddison (Regent) – 3 very different Cruiselines, in my opinion. Had a wonderful time on each one – for various reasons. Met so many great people and have even brought them home! Haha (People say to me…most people bring home souvenirs, you bring home PEOPLE!)

It was really important that this was a good trip. Let me explain.

My Dear Man and I take some nice vacations together – usually short getaways. We both work hard and don’t have too much time for vacations. Dear Man went on a cruise about 20 years ago and it was disaster – bad ship, terrible food, bad traveling companions, rough seas, etc.. He really is a very easy person to please, so it must have been BAD. He had no desire whatsoever to go on another cruise in his lifetime!

So what do I do? I love to cruise and booked a surprise cruise for his Christmas Gift! LOL! I was on a mission to change his mind and bring him into the world of modern day cruising! Hehe.

I booked the Penthouse Suite!

And it was everything and more than we expected. I just loved sitting on the deck. I actually read a book, something I haven't done for a long time!

http://katg.phanfare.com/album/550525#imageID=35954301

I suppose because we were staying in the Penthouse, we received an invitation to dine with the Captain on Formal night. Our regular table-mates affectionately said “La-tee-dah” hahahaha. It was a pleasure to see what a very down-to-earth and gracious man our Captain Pagonis was. He also possessed a very good sense of humor and talked very highly and thoughtfully about his crew.

He extended an invitation for us to tour the Bridge on the next sea day. That was really incredible! So different from what I expected it would be – So state-of-the-art! Made me feel really safe! The First Officer kept stressing though…no matter how much computerized equipment we have here, it’s the Human mind that is superior!

So, as you can see…we really had a very special trip!

And yes…You can say, your cruise had to be good, you stayed in such great accommodations…

But, as I have mentioned previously on this thread, you just couldn’t have asked for anything more from the hardworking and wonderful crew on this ship. Not only that, the ship was in beautiful condition and during Port Days they were constantly varnishing, cleaning, etc.. It was immaculate!

The food was very good, the drinks even better (so was our bar-bill! Haha) How do you serve all these passengers and actually serve a steak RARE the way it was ordered in the main dining room? I don’t know? I would have loved to have taken a tour of the Galley.

Have I changed my Dear Man’s mind about cruising? You better believe it!

We got home on Saturday and booked an Alaskan Cruise on the Mercury in August! YEAH!

Happy Cruising!

Welcome back! glad to see you had a great time!

Kat, I think you hit the nail on the head with your observation of fewer children.

I think we booked our cruise a week too early as it wasn't that there were TOO many well behaved children, but TOO many inattentive parents and unruly children on our cruise prior to yours. Closing the hot tubs for cleaning because of an "accident" is evidence of that.

Being said the kids in the kids club were little angels in my book. They looked like they were having a great time,and I wanted to join in that pirate parade on deck, however I held back and just did the pirate AAArrrgh! as they walked by.

Great comments!!

Dave:eek:

Great reviews on the Century. We will be on our first Celebrity so I'm always interested in what others say. Having been on several cruises we know what to expect. We've never had a bad cruise. Even the HAL Zuiderdam which an Norovirus outbreak did not ruin our cruise. (Fortunately we didn't get ill).

We do travel with our son who is 8 years old and will be taking his 5th cruise. He is well traveled and well mannered. I'm always curious about comments about well behaved children understandibly so, but seldom hear about adults.

What annoys me more than children are rude adults, drunks, inconsiderate smokers or just plain jerks. On our last cruise (Princess Star) we were shocked at how every evening at dinner a man so mistreated his wife with degrading comments. We all gave nervous looks to our other table mates like, can you believe this guy. It was most uncomfortable. He asked if he could take pictures of our son, we said no.

But fellow passengers fear not, our son will not dissapoint.

Great reviews on the Century. We will be on our first Celebrity so I'm always interested in what others say. Having been on several cruises we know what to expect. We've never had a bad cruise. Even the HAL Zuiderdam which an Norovirus outbreak did not ruin our cruise. (Fortunately we didn't get ill).

We do travel with our son who is 8 years old and will be taking his 5th cruise. He is well traveled and well mannered. I'm always curious about comments about well behaved children understandibly so, but seldom hear about adults.

What annoys me more than children are rude adults, drunks, inconsiderate smokers or just plain jerks. On our last cruise (Princess Star) we were shocked at how every evening at dinner a man so mistreated his wife with degrading comments. We all gave nervous looks to our other table mates like, can you believe this guy. It was most uncomfortable. He asked if he could take pictures of our son, we said no.

But fellow passengers fear not, our son will not dissapoint.

I know what you're saying...as there's always 1 isn't there?

My rude passenger experience came in the Spa. They have these great pedicure chairs that sit in front of full length windows overlooking the water. It's 5:00 and we're leisurely pulling away from Key West and I'm sitting in the chair in my Tropical Meltdown state with my feet soaking in a tub of warm soapy water just enjoying the view. In walks this woman and it was flashbacks to my highschool days of Miss Bailey - Phys-Ed, (ex-army) teacher!

She had an appointment for manicure and pedicure and was early so her salon gal asked her to sit in the pedicure chair and soak her feet while she finished her other clients manicure. OH NO!...That's not the way she does things - she always has her Manicure first! Okay lady...then wait. She finally situates her at the manicure table facing the windows and the woman puts her Sunglasses on. In about 2 minutes she's directing that the screens be pulled down. They pull the one in front of her down. Now she's screaming at me to pull the screen down in front of me! I'm like "Lady", you've got your sun glasses on for God Sake, but she still insisted and instead of fighting with her, I did pull it down. The rude comments and demands that followed were unbelievable. Her Salon tech was just a really nice girl trying to do her job...she just kept quiet and continued on.

If I were her I probably would have given her a little accidental jab with the orange-stick under her toenail! LOL

I usually group the obxoxious passengers together with the unruly children as many times they are the parents, and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Bieng said I have travelled on many cruises with families that I still keep in contact with, and would love to cruise again with. However on my last cruise there were just TOO many.

Sorry if I seemed to 'group' people. Unfortnately its one of those bad habits we all have, but I'm trying to work on it.

Dave:eek:

A sincere Thank You to you both (and the others who've added to all the great information) for helping me to get even more excited about my upcoming Celebrity Century sailing next month. It will be my first ever sailing on X, despite being a very frequent cruise passenger.

We've all read that a cruise (or any vacation, for that matter) is what you make of it. . . and it certainly sounds like I won't have to work too hard to make this yet another fun one.

Now if there's just a way to make the next four weeks pass more quickly. :)

Again, Thanks, all!!!

thanks for the great reviews of Century! We will be on the 4/14 sailing for part 1 of our honeymoon, in a Royal Suite and I have been looking so forward to it! Like others mentioned, there have been some less than stellar reviews lately of the Century and it had me a bit concerned, but not a lot. But seeing positive reviews makes me even more excited!

One question, how did you arrange a transfer from your hotel to the ship? I was planning on just taking a cab from the hotel to the pier. Is the transfer easier/cheaper/better?

I have been reading through all of these posts and I just had to post a general reply....

I will be on the Galaxy 2/4/08 and it will be my 3rd cruise. My 1st was the Sun Princess, which we loved, and Carnival Legend, which was ok. And I know going on to this ship that it's an old ship and I expect inefficiencies.

Also, please keep in mind that I am only 24 y/o and I travel with my 52 y/o mother.

Someone noted that you must read these postings with a grain of salt, which is so true. Some people say this was their worst cruise and others their best. People must remember that some people are always unhappy customers, and never satisfied. And some people who complain, just happened to have a very bad experience. It doesn't necessarily mean every else on their cruise had the same experience, they just happened to not have great luck. Things happen. Yes, thing can be preventable, and yes maybe the staff could be more professional. But it's often the luck of the draw...

Hopefully, everyone going on the Galaxy before April will have a lovely time, although I'm sure there will be some unhappy cruisers. Make the best of it! You're on vacation or Holiday!!

I too was on this sailing and had a wonderful time. Everything was just about perfect (except I could have stayed on board a few more days). I am preparing my review but in the mean time I have done a slide show (with music) if anyone wants to view it.

Go to Photodex.com

Go to Sharing

Click on Member search and type in Crzfanatic

When the show comes up, click on the middle of the first picture and the show will start. Enjoy!

Andy

We've all read that a cruise (or any vacation, for that matter) is what you make of it. . . and it certainly sounds like I won't have to work too hard to make this yet another fun one.

I didn't work any harder than sitting in a lounge chair all day and reading :) Oh wait, there was that walk to the Martini Bar and then on to dinner :D

One question, how did you arrange a transfer from your hotel to the ship? I was planning on just taking a cab from the hotel to the pier. Is the transfer easier/cheaper/better?

I usually just take a cab because that way I'm not waiting around for the bus to arrive, to fill up, to leave, to make other stops, etc.

That said, we stayed pre-cruise at the Marriott Biscayne Bay, on the Celebrity package which included a transfer. We were picked up in a mini-van and taken straight to the pier, so it was a very fast and convenient transfer.

I was on the same cruise as Andrew--let me reassure anyone with an upcoming cruise on Century that you will have a wonderful time! I am a fairly critical person (critical but fair) and I thought she was in great shape--you will wonder where all the negativity came from. My "complaints" were extremely minor and in no way impacted my enjoyment of the cruise. Toiletries and lack of observance of the dress code come to mind.

I was in a Sky Suite on Deck 12 and loved it. The balcony is 1/2 sun, 1/2 shade at noon on a sunny day--other than that, you just never know! It was very large and we spent as much time as we could out there, especially considering what a port-intensive cruise we were on--huh, Andrew! We routinely bought a bottle of wine in port and brought it on board (in a backpack, usually) and enjoyed our afternoon canapes with a glass of wine on the veranda.

One poster asked about the casual dining. It is located in the buffet area but is a full service meal and they do suggest a $2 gratuity for the waiters, who are in training for the main dining room as I understand it. Can't comment on the menu. X did such a great job of choosing our tablemates that we wouldn't have missed dinner with them. We did have a sushi snack each evening (late sitting) which was excellent.

I am jealous of all of you with upcoming cruises--I have to wait until Feb of '09 for my next one!

Cathy

I too was on this sailing and had a wonderful time. Everything was just about perfect (except I could have stayed on board a few more days). I am preparing my review but in the mean time I have done a slide show (with music) if anyone wants to view it.

Go to Photodex.com

Go to Sharing

When the show comes up, click on the middle of the first picture and the show will start. Enjoy!

Andy

Great video. Thanks! :) Makes this first time Celebrity cruiser even more anxious for 2/28 to get here.

Bettie

Great video. Thanks! :) Makes this first time Celebrity cruiser even more anxious for 2/28 to get here.

Bettie

I understand your excitement, but now that I've gone and went I can't wait for our Alaskan Cruise! Can you imagine liking something so much, you come home and book another one that day? hehehe

I loved Celebrity...and I've been on "Snooty" Regent. Didn't find a big difference with the food/cabins, I may sound like a broken record, but I really loved everything about this cruise. I loved it so much, I didn't get off the ship!

If you get a chance, take time to talk with the crew. I had some great conversations and really learned a lot. I was surprised to find out that they don't pool tips. So if you find somebody providing outstanding service, it's all for them! Most Employees sign an 8 month contract and can be off for 6 months later etc.

I had a Lava-rock/Swedish Massage from a genuine Swedish woman! hahaha. She told me she was the only Swedish person on the ship! It was wonderful! Now who can actually say they had a Swedish massage by a genuine Swede???

I also talked to them about the comments I had read on here about the problem with norovirus a few weeks before our trip. I was impressed with the fact that even the spa people who are independently contracted, joined in to help clean the ship. Everybody cares.

Nope, I'm not wearing Rose-colored glasses. However, I got back to work yesterday and was asked "Did you get something done" hahahaha. Nope...just 5 days of total relaxation. Loved, Loved, Loved it!!!

I hope you have a great time...

You might like to see the menu we had on century. I copied part of this from Alfred Ross on a previous thread.

It was a fantastic selection...Bon Apetit!!!!

Day 1

Selection of fruit with fresh Mint

Shrimp Cocktail

Galantine of Duckling with Lingonberry Cream

Feuillete of Mushrooms in a creamy Herb Sauce

Oven Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup

Oriental Vegetable Consomme

Chilled Tangerine and Apple

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

Broiled South African Cape Hake

Supreme of Chicken Saltimbocca

Veal Piccata Milanese

All American Prime Rib

Crème Brulee

Raspberry Cheesecake

Chocolate Croquant Royale

Pistachio St Honore

Day 2 [formal]

Carpaccio of Roasted Pineapple

Crab Cocktail Nautilus

Warm Montrachet Cheese and Potato Gratin

Gratinated Oysters Rockefeller

Cream of Chicken Dame Blanche

Classic French Onion Soup

Chilled Melon and Mint

Farfalle with Olive and Sun dried Tomatoes

Grilled Halibut

Gulf Shrimp Marseillaise

Roasted Midwestern Pork Loin

Tournedos Rossini

Apple Tart Tatin with Caramel Sauce

Exotic Panna Cotta

Cherries Jubilee

Paris Brest

Low fat Mint Sherbet with Lemon

Day 3

Iced Cup of Assorted Fruits with Amaretto

Sliced Tomato with Buffalo Mozzarella and fresh Basil

Escargots a la Bourguignon

Spinach turnover with Emmental Cheese Sauce

Louisiana Gumbo

Mushroom Bisque

Chilled Gazpacho Andalouse

Risotto with Seafood

Flounder Stuffed with Crabmeat and Crayfish

Golden Roasted Tender Chicken

Washington State Lamb Shank

New York Strip Steak Maitre d’Hotel

Tiramisu

Chocolate Framboisine

Fruit Vacherin

Almond and Orange Blancmange

Day 4 - Was Lobster and Baked Alaska Night. - I had Prime Rib/Asparagus Soup on this menu. Can't seem to find this night in Albert Ross's Menu)

Day 5

Papaya with lime and mint Sherbet

Prosciutto Ham with Sweet Melon Slices

Marinated Salmon and Cucumber Tartar

San Francisco Crab Cake with Mango Citrus Sauce

Cream of Broccoli

Double Beef Consommé with Chive Celestine

Chilled Vichyssoise

Black Linguini with Seafood

Grilled Salmon marinated in Teriyaki Sauce

Roast Turkey

Grilled Veal Chop

Tender Beef Short Ribs

Praline Cake with Raspberries

Nougat Glace with blackberry Sauce

Gateau Chocolate Imperial

Pear Flan Soufflé

I understand your excitement, but now that I've gone and went I can't wait for our Alaskan Cruise! Can you imagine liking something so much, you come home and book another one that day? quote] Yes, I can! I love cruising so much that I try to book at least two each year. You just get the bug!

You will love the Alaskan Cruise. I have done it twice with two different lines. If you are doing a one-way, you should try to add a land tour in Alaska. The land portion of my second trip was wonderful--long, long days enable 15-18 hours of daylight for sightseeing and if you rent a car, driving is very easy. Plus there are many organized tours. Flying over Mt. McKinley was breathtaking; float plane to the Misty Fjords was gorgeous, helicopter to glaciers even more gorgeous; I could go on and on but bottom line is for a warm weather person like me, Alaska is spectacular!

Go to Photodex.com

Go to Sharing

Andy

Andy, I also loved your video and the music. You have a great photographers eye! :) What was going on toward the end, with the half clad models, though? Was that a photo shoot you happened to stumbled on? Great architectural shots of Miami! ;)

Also, do you have your photos (especially of the ship) in a separate album that we can see? I would like to show my DH where our stateroom is located on the exterior. He would never sit still for the video.

kat - While looking at your cruise photos, I stumbled on your home album., It is gorgeous! However, I was confused about the kitchen. Do you have two, or was the kitchen with the funky back-splash something you are wishing for. That was really interesting! If you are not already a member, you should join the Garden Web Home Decorating forum here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/decor/ They also have a Garden forum: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/ :)

Archived