Dress Code

brian_uk

- and one more thing - sandals - i'm not meaning flip flops - allowed at night in the dining rooms? - of course with the proper ccc attire - thanks for any advice - janis

Janis, Sandals are fine for dinner. That's all I usually take for night time.... for the footies that is!!

So even more bad news........Jackets required in the lounges after 6 pm.....this is going from bad to worse for me.

I thought I would be going on holiday but if I have to wear a jacket after 6 pm then definitely NOT for me.......

Back to the drawing board

Brian

Have you considered getting a light unstructured linen type of jacket (think armani type style...no I didn't say you had to pay for an Armani, just that type of look)? Great as a throwover not only on nice pants, but also over jeans.

Seems a shame to give up on a fabulous experience just because of a jacket.

Oh and don't let someone's comments on this board be the decision maker.

i hope this is not a silly question - but here goes - does anyone have any suggestions for an online retailer/catalogue for dressier t-shirts suitable for wear under a man's jacket? - we live in a rural area and it would save me a huge amount of bother if i didn't have to travel to find something for my husband for our upcoming cruise in March - and one more thing - sandals - i'm not meaning flip flops - allowed at night in the dining rooms? - of course with the proper ccc attire - thanks for any advice -

janis

Heck I got some perfectly wonderful shirts for my SO on amazon. Also look at Lands End, I believe.

As for sandals? I have a hard and fast rule. If it's over 60 degrees outside sometime during the day, then I don't wear shoes, only sandals. (Unless it gets down to the 40's that is) So yes sandals are fine at night.

My husband and I love to get dressed up on formal nights. It's such fun for us, and so different from our regular lives -- just the kind of thing to do on a vacation. It wasn't my husband's kind of thing originally, but he has come to look forward to it as I do. I've purchased wonderful gowns for low prices on Ebay, and we got my husband a beautiful tuxedo at a discount store. In fact, I won't go on cruises that don't have formal nights, and the more the better!

Brian, if you are truly uncomfortable in a coat and long trousers, you might well be uncomfortable on the three Seven Seas ships. But you can easily get by with one sport coat or a blue blazer and two pair of casual pants - one light and one dark. The jacket with a shirt and tie and the dark slacks for formal nights, and the jacket with a shirt or tee and either slacks - no tie - for the informal, and no one will give you a second look. The maître d will stop you and ask that you put on a jacket if you've forgotten, even on informal nights. I know; it happened to me. Why embarrass yourself.

PS Editing to add - it would be better if the dark slacks at least look like they match the jacket - the guideline is tux or dark suit!

Count, that's good advice. When my husband and I went thru the brouhaha about wearing a jacket *and* a suit (he refused to buy both), he was directed by a very wise salesperson to a dark blue suit, plus a pair of gray trousers, so that he could wear the jacket like a blazer if he wished. Works well. It's worth it, believe me. Try the PG first, and you'll be hooked, the jacket will come easy in less tropical climes.

Does anyone know if the PG has a dry cleaning service on board?

My husband will wear the khakis and even the light coat, but he hates to wear shoes when he is somewhere tropical.:eek: Can a man get away with nice leather (fancier than plastic) flip flops?

Yes the PG has dry cleaning. I don't know about the flip flops. I'm not sure I've ever seen a man in the DR in flip flops at dinner.

drifting away--yes there is dry cleaning service. Flip flops during the day are fine. At night a woman can get away with a nice, fancy high-heeled type but even nicer leather ones will not cut it for a man.

Drifting, my husband has some very nice sandals he uses for situations like these. Closed-toe, kind of like up-scale huraches (sp?). They have a rubber sole and are very light, yet nice looking. Maybe you could find something like that?

Well I thank you all forthe input and like " Chinese Whispers " it is amazing where asimple question can take you.

Count Florida.......you clearly NEVER READ my original question as there was absolutely no mention of short trousers......

Jackets with T shirts under.....hm....more stylish clearly than pants and a smart shirt.....not in my opinion.

Anyway I thank you all for your suggestions and wish you a happy and healthy New Year and safe travelling.

Oh by the way.....I have decided against Regent because of the dress code....at $8-10,000 per person it is I who will decide how I dress.

Byeee

Brian

Brian - good for you! I have never dressed "for the comfort of other passengers" and never will. Most cruises DW & I stay pretty much to ourselves so we don't care if others are "uncomfortable" with what we wear.

After 32 cruises we know where we want to go and on what lines we want to sail. Formal and informal ware? been there - done that! Don't want any part of it any more.That's why Oceania and the PG are our ships of choice.

I am actually not quite sure whether your remarks were meant as a joke or an insult.

Brian

My remarks were not addressed to you in particular. In general, I think Regent's "core constituency" is less likely to whine about dressing appropriately than evidence I have seen on the boards here for some other lines. When we went to the Baltic in '06, we chose Regent over Silversea partly because it was "country club casual" and my husband didn't necessarily want to go formal for that particular cruise. There are other itineraries where he is willing to do so. We'll book accordingly and will follow the line's request to dress appropriately, not buck it to prove some kind of individuality. :rolleyes:

Linda

I really was going to let this drop but your remarks again prove my point....

What is a core constituency and what do you mean THEY are less likely to whine...............

Where does that put me ?????

Clearly you belong to a special ELITE GROUP and as Groucho Marx said

I would not want to belong to any club that would have me.......this applies here for me

Brian

Come on Brian you should know by now that one person's view, ideas and opinions do not represent the whole. Don't limit yourself to what you read here on this board.

Maybe you are just having fun and looking for a fight ;) , but good luck and I hope you find the cruise line that fits your style.

Brian,

I believe you used this BB in the manner it was meant to be used. You came here looking for information by asking a question that was important to you. When you recieved an answer that did not conform to your personal priorities you continued to investigate and then made an informed decision based on your priorities. Exactly as it should be done

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise on whatever line you choose as you will have done your homework and made an informed decision. Just because I would not enjoy Oceania for some issues that are important to me, I still know that it is an excellent product in the niche that it sets out to fill.

What I beleive (and hope) the comment about whiners was for are the comments from and about people not adhering to requested "standards" on other cruise line boards even though they knew the "standards" going in. This obviously does not apply to you.

For the record I detected not a bit of whine from you just a statement of preference and an acceptance of the reality of what RSSC is pursuing.

Best wishes for your upcoming travels.

Archived