Dress Code

brian_uk

Having been on Oceania for my last 3 cruises I am considering Regent in June.

The only thing putting me off is the dress code at the Speciality restaurant where the website says Jackets are required for men.

I prefer the Country Club Casual of O and I wonder if this code is actually enforced.

Brian

Definitely need a coat if you want to go to Signatures. You don't need a tie. Truthfully, although I am glad that many of the cruises now have no formal nights, I think sports coats should be required on most nights. It isn't too hard to put a coat over a silk tee or a sports shirt.

Marc

Sorry, but I have to agree with Brian. It so nice not to have to bring a sport coat. If one is dressed properly, there is no need for one.

That's why DW & I stopped sailing on Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea. O is the way to go plus, of course, the PG on which we are booked this September.

Now I have a dilema

Oceania does not do a similar cruise......Monte Carlo to Dover....10 days....calling at 5 ports I have not visited before.....

If I do not wear a jacket will they actually refuse me access or make me walk the plank !!!

Brian

Question about that, what is the norm for dress on the PG as far as around the ship? I read, like mentioned that it is country club casual, so do they mean the whole time? My fiancé and I are pretty casual dressers, i.e. Cargo shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, baseball cap. Are they gonna boot us off the ship if we wearing this sort of attire throughout the ship? If they don't, are we going to look like the ship fools, walking around in such attire? I understand in the evening the nicer restaurants will require a jacket, which is fine, which I don't agree with. If you’re dressed nice you should be admitted, but hey whatever floats their boat, no pun intended. :) Just want to make sure we are not looking like a bunch of freaks while on the cruise. Oh and on the Formal night, is a Tuxedo required?

:)

efiguero--you're typical attire sounds perfect for PG during the day. I wore shorts/tanks, sun dresses, swimsuit with pareo, etc. For dinner, men tend to wear Hawaiian /tropical shirts with khakis and women sun dresses. There is no formal night on the PG. :)

On the PG, no worries, you will be fine. No formal or informal nights, very casual during the day.

Monte Carlo-Dover, yes in my experience they enforce the dress code. You can always dodge formal nights by getting room service, or going to La Verandah, but the dress code is enforced in the lounges after 6 p.m. It's a pain, I agree, but not too onerous--my husband manages quite well. For informal, just throw a jacket on, you'll pass. And a dark suit and tie is fine for formal nights. Wish they would do away with the whole thing...

Question about that, what is the norm for dress on the PG as far as around the ship? I read, like mentioned that it is country club casual, so do they mean the whole time? My fiancé and I are pretty casual dressers, i.e. Cargo shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, baseball cap. Are they gonna boot us off the ship if we wearing this sort of attire throughout the ship? If they don't, are we going to look like the ship fools, walking around in such attire? I understand in the evening the nicer restaurants will require a jacket, which is fine, which I don't agree with. If you’re dressed nice you should be admitted, but hey whatever floats their boat, no pun intended. :) Just want to make sure we are not looking like a bunch of freaks while on the cruise. Oh and on the Formal night, is a Tuxedo required?

:)

there is no formal or informal nights on the PG. It is country club casual. That means you can wear what you want during the day, but at night, no shorts, and no jeans. Dress is a nice pair of casual pants (khaki for ex) and a button tee for men and a sundress or skirt or nice pants for women.

So even more bad news........Jackets required in the lounges after 6 pm.....this is going from bad to worse for me.

I thought I would be going on holiday but if I have to wear a jacket after 6 pm then definitely NOT for me.......

Back to the drawing board

Brian

So even more bad news........Jackets required in the lounges after 6 pm.....this is going from bad to worse for me.

I thought I would be going on holiday but if I have to wear a jacket after 6 pm then definitely NOT for me.......

Back to the drawing board

Brian

But only on the "formal" night(s), Brian. You are expected to wear a jacket any night in Signatures and they do enforce this.

I can understand your point, Brian, and I felt the same. That, compulsory tipping and rigid seating arrangements, kept me from cruising until my late seventies. However, I discovered Regent and the pleasures I got from that line outweighed the annoyance of having to wear a jacket occasionally. To be frank, I now quite enjoy the "dressing up" bits of the cruise as does my wife.

We, too, prefer the resort-casual environment.

Other all-casual alternatives: WindStar, which is a totally different ship experience, and Azamara, the new spinoff from Celebrity. Azamara has two of the former R-class ships (same ships as Oceania) and is all resort-casual, even in the specialty restaurants, with no formal nights. They also do open seating and have strict limitations on smoking (allowed in two places on the ship). I don't know if the itineraries match your wishes but the ships might.

We have been on the Regent Navigator twice and will sail the PG (all casual) in June. The formal nights are the main negative we have with Regent--we'll sail then again if they can come up with some winter itineraries that aren't 'been-there, done that.' We had one Oceania experience and it was generally positive. (The negative for us that we were MUCH younger than the other pax, and we were 50-somethings at the time.)

Karen

One additional thing--I only took a couple of casual dresses for evenings on the PG--actually felt underdressed a couple of evenings and wished I had brought a couple of short cocktail dresses. My husband brought a sport coat and wore it to dinner several times.

One nice thing about Regent is that people seem to know how to dress themselves; there isn't the whining about "do I have to....???" that you see on the Carnival board. My husband's blue blazer packed easily and was no stress for him to wear.

I am actually not quite sure whether your remarks were meant as a joke or an insult.

I promise you I really do know how to dress myself....in fact each sock is properly labelled " left and right " so I cannot get confused.

Seriously you seem to suggest that Carnival passengers cannot make decisions whereas Regent travellers are somehow superior and can !!!!

Finally I am sure your husband looks wonderful in his blue blazer and that is his choice ......but for me, I prefer not to have to bother as I am actually on holiday.

You have really helped make my decision easier.

Brian

Brian, I'm with you. Our second Regent cruise (after the PG) was on the Diamond. A 7-day trip, in Europe with a formal night and 2 informal nights. It took months of figuring things out to accomodate my (suit-averse) husband. At one point he threatened to go to dinner with his jacket on backwards! He survived, and continues to survive, although we try to avoid cruises with formal nights. We did a 7-day on Voyager last month, and he whined--"I need a jacket?!"

But I packed it for him, and he wore it. Twice. And enjoyed himself despite it.

As a woman, I actually think we're both better and worse off than the guys. Better off because we can put together a pleasant outfit that's suitable for any night, and worse off because at least you guys have a uniform, we don't--we have to get creative. My first formal outfit involved a slinky glittery jacket that I got in a thrift shop for $10. So now I tend to be like my TA--she has more or less a uniform as well, outfits that you can see her in over and over again if you spot photos of her on cruises.

i hope this is not a silly question - but here goes - does anyone have any suggestions for an online retailer/catalogue for dressier t-shirts suitable for wear under a man's jacket? - we live in a rural area and it would save me a huge amount of bother if i didn't have to travel to find something for my husband for our upcoming cruise in March - and one more thing - sandals - i'm not meaning flip flops - allowed at night in the dining rooms? - of course with the proper ccc attire - thanks for any advice -

janis

Archived