Wizard of OZ..."Theres no place like home..."

bububr

Just thinking about how much I was looking forward to this last cruise on Century , and how dissapointing it was based on previous cruises.

If you were Dorothy ( or a friend of :D ) and could click your heels together three times, which ship would you call home?

If it still existed in the fleet, I'd choose Zenith for the homey, comfortable welcoming feeling. We have the best feelings and memories from her and her staff.

But since its its now gone:( . I think the Mercury would be our next choice. We have always had a great time on her, and the staff has always been incredible even during the dreaded bleach cruise. I think I'd want to go home to her.

So, where would you call home?

Dave:eek:

Hi Dave:) it was Century for a long, long time.....but now it

is Mercury.;)

My recent experience on Century was better than yours, though

still a bit different than before her refit.

I have to say though after sailing Mercury 5 times she is now

my fav:)

Haven't taken my Century cruise yet, so if we are only counting Celebrity, my choice is the Millennium for the service and food. The ship wasn't that pretty.

If I can pick another cruise line, my choice of ship, to call home, would be either of the Disney ships (first cruises), or the RCCL Vision and Grandeur.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Like you, I miss the old Celebrity ships, specifically the Meridian!! Haven't returned to Celebrity since we sailed on the the Zenith. So for right now, the ship I prefer is HAL's Noordam (sailed 2x).

My favorite Celebrity ship was the Century before its major renovation.

It was the perfect size - large enough for amenities and small enough to keep running into the same people. I also loved its understated elegance with beautiful wood finishes.

Even though it did not have specialty restaurants at that time, the food and service in its main dining room was so good that I didn't miss them. There was also something special about classic traditional dining when the entire table dined together every night and we looked forward to sharing dinner with our new friends.

Our sky suite on the sky deck was one of our favorite cabins due to its awesome balcony that was partially covered and partially exposed to the sun.

We have cruised on Century for over a 100 days and still like her the best for size, layout and finishing touches such as the brushed aluminum around the elevators and the marble stair wells. We have cruised in every ship of the Celebrity fleet but more on Century than the rest. We have cruised on three Transatlantics, experienced several rescues at sea including a transfer to an aircraft carrier, spent several weeks in the Baltic, Norway and the Mediterranean. The locations are superb, the clients were experienced cruisers. Last year we were on board for 4 short Caribbeans and life was different. If Celebrity offers the shorter cruises it will attract a whole new set of guests that provide a bit of a culture shock for X fans. We are about to head south for Century again on a B2B2B. We are trading our winter weather for balconies in the Caribbean because the price was great. We also have plans to isolate ourselves from the "tourists" as a response to different expectations. We love the port days when we have the yacht practically to ourselves. The presence of familiar faces on board will determine whether we're back "home" or just on another ship.

Usha,

Our group is on Summit 2/9/08, your second week. If have the time or interest, post a note on the thread "San Juan and South". This group is pumped up for the cruise and we'd love to hear from someone onboard! I haven't seen your name on that thread, you may enjoy the posts. There is also some good info on island tours and beaches. Our group is meeting at the Mast Bar at 4:30 2/9. Enjoy the back to back, I am envious. Enquiste

Mine would be the Mercury - 3 x's and booked again for Panama Canal. I like the smaller feel of the ship - the decor. I do miss having the specialty restaurant that M class has - but I love the T spa lots more than the M class persian gardens.

Constellation would be my choice Dave! Artie would choose Millennium. We love Century too though. But Constellation was my first since Chandris and I thought the first was the best!

We will miss you on the little two nighter!

charlie

My absolute favorite ship is Jewel of the Seas, but we are not "joined at the hip" to any one of those we've sailed.

Our X cruises have been on Summit to Alaska, Galaxy to the PC and 4 other western ports, Mercury to Mexican Riv. and on Thursday we leave for Sidney to board Mercury again for Aust/NZ. We love all the ships and would sail any of them again in a heartbeat.

Still deciding between Summit or Galaxy to Med. for 6/09 and possibly Galaxy S. Carib. winter '09.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 nights in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

Great question!

I loved my first Celebrity cruise on Century, wonderful ship! My faves would be the M class ships though, love the layout, specialty restaurants, spa cafe's and the aft FV cabins!!! My VERY first cruise back in the 70's on RCCL's Sun Viking was pretty special too--great ship back then!:D

We've done three so far; Millie, Merc and Century (pre-furb), and would say that the Century was our favorite. We had a CC cabin (#1001) and loved it, and that was before the refurb! We'll sail her again in 6 weeks, and happy to add the Solstice to our list by the end of the year!

And then there's Captain Rockstar!!!

uh - ooh....

hey bub,

what was so bad about ur cruise on century?

ive been on the millenium in the past, but at the time i wasn't out. but now its myself and my girlfriend - and we just booked our first cruise together: on the century 5-night carib out of miami on 2/18/08. we definitely want to hear from other passengers, especially other FOD passengers, about the experience....

how was the crowd? and the staff? FOD friendly? accomodating? gimme the dirt....

thanks! hope to hear from you!

/mel

I'll go off topic for just a minute to answer your questions.

John and I have sailed Celebrity for many years and have always been treated with respect by the staff crew members and passengers alike. There was only one exception in which there happened to be a 'born again' or other fundamentalist group on board that constantly beraded us with literature, dirty looks and many comments....X staff took care of the problem pretty quickly, and we had few run ins after they were spoken to.

We have made so many friends gay and straight on X cruises that we need to take out a loan to buy postage for our Christmas cards:D .

We did happen to book during one of the last weeks of school vacation so there were many families and young children onboard, however we did manage to meet two other gay couples who we had drinks with and exchanged emails.

There was a FOD meeting I think every night of our 4 night cruise...However when we showed up...it was just the two of us and a bartender.....I don't thing there were a whole lot of 'family' on this family cruise, however I think you might have a more mixed crowd at the time you are cruising.

We were married in British Columbia while on a Mercury cruise, and were pleasantly surprised by not only how the staff welcomed our union, but we recieved many well wishes and champagne bottles from other passengers.

You'll have a great time!

If you have any other questions feel free to email me.

booboobear60304@yahoo.com

Okay back on topic!

Dave:eek:

Archived